The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all.

Saturday usually means a busy start, and today is no exception, taking Leah to ballet shortly. After that there is a parcel to collect from the delivery office and a couple of shops to pop to.

Hope that Stevenage proves to be enjoyable for those who are traveling.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, 

Rather dull at the moment and a cloudy and mild day with patchy rain or drizzle is forecast. It might brighten up later.

A couple of days ago I did have a passing thought about going to Stevenage but kicked it into touch. (See below) Hope those of you attending enjoy the show.

Rugby watched last night and Gloucester well and truly beaten by Munster. Looks like 7 (Yes seven!) matches being televised by BT Sport today. Somehow I don't think I'll get around to seeing all of them.

No orders have been posted for this morning so I may set up the O gauge boards and start cutting some track.

Breakfast required so I bid you farewell for now.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner Temple here,

5 3/4 hours sleep in bed, another hour on the sofa... So far.. Because...

Headache? Sore throat? Runny nose? You need.....

Yes...

So I have, may cause drowsiness...especially when combined with porridge laced with Amber liquid.

I won't be going anywhere for a while, walking Ben the Border Collie was painful on the head, he was not impressed I wouldn't play, as he is very lively this morning...

If the headache departs from platform one, I have 9 brackets to make to support the fold out part of Tiree. Not an elegant solution, but the simplest.

The jungle needs a mow, the Alexander likes the mild winter we've had so far and is trying to take over. It may be done later, but it's very windy out there with a chilly northerly..

An annual pension statement has arrived, this one is the most important, covering 6 ish years in the UK and 6 ish years in Saudi where I put in the equivalent of 3 times the UK amount.

Roughly the combined RAF, GEC, State, and current employer pensions should give about 3/4 of my current wage. My fuel expenses for the 50 miles return journey to work will cover the missing 1/4. Therefore I'm confident of our future economics, providing the pensions aren't robbed by the companies or government.

I'm being beaten up by Ben and Nemo (stuffed toy) Ben wants to play more, a Muggacoffee has arrived with SWMBO.

Time to drink my coffee before I'm buried under toys, armadillo, and spotty dog have arrived.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Slightly damp here in the northwest, but it’s not raining! Breakfast has been consumed and I’ve just made myself muggertea No2 in a thermo mug to take workshop, I may be some time!

Back later

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I was intending to go to Stevenage today, the club has even booked a minibus to take some members. However I decided a couple of weeks ago not to go. Just as well really as my friend who usually accompanies me is the same one with the difficult daughter. A bit grey at the moment but dry but predicted to get colder next week. I hope Dom, ID and any other ER's in Central Europe aren't too badly affected by the severe snow storms there. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 9

Well, it's been an 'interesting' morning so far. On the way to ballet we got a puncture on the dual carriageway. Made it round the roundabout and stopped outside Sal's work to get the mobile tyre fitter out (no spare, at least that I've found, on my Zafira). Leah getting upset at this point as she didn't want to miss ballet, so parents to the rescue to take her the mile or so down the road to the studio.

By the time we'd had a cuppatea in the lounge (complete with several old ladies cooing over Hannah!), Setyres had not only been but also fitted the new tyre, leaving me with just the £80 to pay.

With all that sorted, we stopped on the way home to pick up the parcel from the delivery office and some bits from Tesco. Get home and open the parcel, which should have been a pop up washing basket for Charlie...

Needless to say, it isn't!!

post-723-0-01939800-1547293975_thumb.jpg

You've got to laugh really, if you didn't you would cry!

Edited by dseagull

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

One upside of the new traffic blockade is that to get to work without queuing for ages means leaving home about 45 minutes earlier and taking a diversion through town.

The result of this is one tends to get to work about an hour earlier. Our company has flexi time which, as a result of the early start and short culturally short lunchtimes , means you clock up plenty of time off. So, come Friday lunchtimes its "hasta la vista" and the rest of the afternoon off. This was soon filled with a variety of tasks, although I did sneak in the purchase of Feb RM; a good edition imho.

Having finished the cleaning this morning I'm planning on taking an hour or so to draw out my new layout on lining paper. 

A major front-garden overhaul has been proposed. Two new trees have been suggested along with removal of the greenhouse. I upped the stakes by suggesting that instead of the necessary path realignment that's on our backlog, we go the whole hog, get rid of the remaining patch of lawn, put pavers down extensively over the whole garden leaving gaps for things like rosemary bushes etc. For this reason I was intrigued to see Ian (RH)'s plastic grating. Could this be used as a stable base for pavers? Thoughts anyone?

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi All

I've had a bad night, got up for a pee at 3am and ended on the floor the vertigo is back with vengeance after several visit to the loo

I was back in bed till 10am. :heat:

Andy I wouldn't put pavers on Ian's grid they will move in a short space of time, a 4" bed of 6-1 sharp sand & cement dry mix well tamped down

then run a rake across the top carefully lay the pavers on this and tap into place with a rubber mallet leave to set up overnight as the mix will pull

the moisture in if it's very dry lightly spray pavers with water and leave well alone don't walk on it for a week  they should set up as you have laid

them make sure you get the mix right sand alone won't give you a firm base finish off by mixing some cement and kiln dried sand then sweep it in to

the joints make sure you do this when it is dry, have fun.  

Have a nice day all  Hughie. A. Lott  :bad:

The one good thing about the mistaken delivery was the customs import note, describing the contents (or not as it turned out)!

Apparently, washing basket is best expressed as "Dirty washing building" :D

Edited by dseagull

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

We cancelled the trip to Enfield. I still have a high temperature and feel unwell but the temperature goes down after a couple of paracetamol so it can’t be serious but I prefer not to possibly infect MiL. She is 90 but recently has been more affected by colds and coughs than she used to. She has however been enjoying the smartphone we got for her. At first she was putting it away in its box every night but is more used to it now. She does like the regular photos from her family.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

As Mum is in hosp awaiting her op I took the opportunity to check the use by dates in her food cupboard.

Some were back to 2013, some 2014 and most were 2017 or 18.attachicon.gifIMG_20190112_114956.jpg

Are you going to make something with all the ingredients?

When we helped MiL pack before moving to Enfield we found stuff that was so old it didn’t have use by dates or barcodes. At least the tubs of dishwasher soap with Mexico Olympic labelling were not for eating.

Tony

• Like 14

As Mum is in hosp awaiting her op I took the opportunity to check the use by dates in her food cupboard.

Some were back to 2013, some 2014 and most were 2017 or 18.attachicon.gifIMG_20190112_114956.jpg

Yeah, but hang on a second!

Use-by dates are a figment of someone's imagination. (Apparently Sainsbury's so that they could better monitor their stock rotation)

If the product is either tinned, vacuum sealed, in a tetrapak or victim of a preservation process, i.e. corned beef, cheese, pickling, etc, where's the issue?

Most of the products you show are dried or include preservatives in their mix. They're probably going to involve some cooking or boiling before consumption; this will kill anything harmful that MAY be therein.

Consider this: a good Stilton cheese is left for up to two years to mature; it gets a use-by date of two or three days at point of sale. It's already two years old for goodness sake, what's another year? (btw, no reference to Johnny Logan in the Eurovision Song Contest) Oh, by the way, Stilton is already mouldy when you buy it!

Sorry for the rant, but use-by and sell-by dates are a bain of modern life and show disrespect to the common sense of "I'm not eating that, it's gone off" aspect of life.

Why is a use-by date put on bottled water? Water is the original recyclable material!

The loaf of bread I am currently 'using' is way beyond its use-by date but it is still as moist as when bought and shows no signs of deterioration. If Alexander Fleming had adhered to the use-by date on his loaf of bread, we would not, perhaps, have today's antibiotics.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Brackets made.. Took only 1.5 hours, though they need painting.

Jib club cut to size, planed on 3 sides, then the rubber band in the planer broke, still it's only about 20years old and was used to build the boat in the first place. New rubber band ordered from the house of strong ladies.

Ben the Border taken for a walk on the beach, the sea defence gates were shut so we had to go via a path through the dunes.

The cobwebs were definitely blown away by the strong northerly on the beach, though I still feel a little rough.

The beach has definitely been reshaped by a week of northerly winds, much sand has been blown from the surface leaving lots of pebbles.

Time for a little, eyelid inspection..

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I remember many years ago a nosy friend looked at dates on food in our parents kitchen. The Jelly packs mum had for melting were 18 years out of date.

Mum was a lot younger then and more with it but she is of a different generation where goid once never had use by dates on.

My brothers and their other halves are the other way and will throw food that is well in date even if its been opened within a day of purchase.

• Like 13

Stilton may keep for years in a mountainside cave but it don't in my fridge John.

Whilst packets of dried foods/cake mixes may seem ok after their dates I am unsure whether they perform properly.

As to tinned stuff, my parents found some tinned meats under the floor of their first house. When opened years later it certainly wasn't edible.

I kept a tin of baked beans (the spelling changed from beans to beanz in 2008. 3 years ago I threw it out because the tin had opened part way down.

Dried fruit deteriorates.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A while ago, OK donkeys years ago, I had a summer holiday job in a NAAFI supermarket. When there was an explosion out in the shop...

A member of staff was covered in dripping red, and there was a lot of initial panic...

A very large catering tin of tomatoes that had been on top of a freezer unit propping up displays, had gone bang..

Once that mess was cleared all other cans doing similar duty were removed, very carefully, a couple more showed suspicious bulges....

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I've often eaten food thats a few days out of date, I've often found out when disposing of the packaging. As in most cases the food has been cooked I have never suffered any ill effects. One thing that I discovered in the back of the fridge though was binned without even opening the package, a quiche that was six months out of date. Talking of disposing, for the last few years I have been gradually replacing all my lightbulbs with LED bulbs. This morning the one in the kitchen was flickering so I replaced it. The problem is how to dispose of the old one? The old 'long life' ones can be disposed of in the special recepticals provided but I'm not sure about an LED one. Its a sealed unit so its unlikely to be repairable. The bulb in question was one of the first replacements about 5 or 6 years ago and it might still be under warranty but the packaging is long gone.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Golf went reasonably well.

I don't know my exact result but it looks like a top 5 finish including a share of the two's sweep.

We all chuck a pound in and it is shared out if anyone gets a 2.

I potted mine from 20 feet and then one of my playing partners did the same from 15.

Back in the 19th, we find out that there at least 2 more........

I may get my entry fee back......

(I did once pick up the only 2 on an invitation day when 118 were playing!)

Time for a late tea and some mudelling.

And it looks like I've sold New Bryford.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14