The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

POETS, and I'll partake best I can.

The morning meeting with the architect/designer proved quite shocking in that there is so much demand for construction at the moment that costs are out-of-sight. We will still probably proceed with some minor interior wall removal to open up the main living space, but any thoughts of "expanding the garage", " pushing out the wall of the living room" and "adding a screened porch", were quickly suppressed when the ball-park budget of $100,000 - $150,000 was floated :O  :O perhaps when there is less demand the costs will become more realistic again.

Yesterday evening the usual pre-choir practice happy hour went well and choir practice saw us expand our numbers by some 8-9 new members. The choir is now in excess of 80 members if everyone shows, so it's getting VERY tight for space in our practice area! :O We usually see a large number of members showing in January as the Martin Luther King concert is one of the largest draws we have. Several local musicians/artists are always involved and with the choir backing 80% of what's presented/sung it gets folks wanting to be involved - PLUS, of course, you don't need to buy a ticket for the event. :jester:

Jemma headed out for another trip so we're dog-sitting Whitney this weekend, other than that not much planned.

-7 and cloudy first thing, fast becoming sunny and a high of +1 expected.

POE if you can, otherwise enjoy the start to the weekend in whatever way is possible...

• Like 18

I read regularly but don't often post here or you would all be bored stiff by the nonstop litany of the troubles of the six elders for whom the wife and I have care responsibities. (Current score all six variously disabled: two in hospital, one recovering nicely from kidney failure, the other 'under investigation'.)

But today it was my turn. I'd been feeling a little odd ("ho ho" says my wife, that means 'normal') the last few days, and noticed last night my jaw getting stiff, and a lump in my cheek. (Little sensation in this location due to ancient industrial accident.) Not long back from dentist and then pharmacy, all equipped with amoxycillin to damp down the abcess under a split wisdom tooth. Apparently I should be in agony, but thanks to the nerves that don't work, I am not. However I am told the extraction will hurt. But no matter, I can go to the CMRA show tomorrow.

The morning meeting with the architect/designer proved quite shocking in that there is so much demand for construction at the moment that costs are out-of-sight. We will still probably proceed with some minor interior wall removal to open up the main living space, but any thoughts of "expanding the garage", " pushing out the wall of the living room" and "adding a screened porch", were quickly suppressed when the ball-park budget of $100,000 - $150,000 was floated :O  :O perhaps when there is less demand the costs will become more realistic again.

It is an odd time for the home construction industry. Their segment of the economy is booming but most of the labour pool that building sub-contractors used has melted away south in the last two years. (Avoiding a political topic, this a very specific demographic and that timeline is specific and not coincidental.) Relatively low unemployment is a related factor. Despite the booming business climate, contractors cannot find labour (or at least at the same rates) and are taking on fewer projects despite the high demand.

My home was completed just in time - around October of 2016. A year later while the home across the street was being completed a window sub-contractor was trying to install windows - by himself! (The general contractor helped him out in the end.) My builder, who has had a long and successful career, announced in his annual Christmas newsletter that he is not undertaking any new projects this year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike 

Please convey a get well soon message to the Good Doctor I missed you earlier post I just hope she doesn't get blown away wearing that parachute shirt of yours. :jester: 

Shock & amazement Her dragged me into Sainsbury's I didn't go without a fight :blackeye:  we finally found a new kettle & toasted the exact colour Her wanted, trawling round Fleet

I bumped into many ex-customers of mine buqqer me I didn't have any ear plugs with me but Her did come to my rescue and told them my hearing was shot. :tender:  

I phoned GDB to see if he was in one piece after fixing his taps he was nearly done and report no damage to himself still there is always a chance he could bash his head 

putting the tools away in the cupboard.

time for another coffee as I'm yawning my brains out I.M. Nockheard :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Successful prosecution today of a young 'lady' driver who did a few VERY silly things - our dashcam footage proved without doubt the offence occurred.  Result. :locomotive:  Strongly advise the use of them, but get a decent GPS HD one, so all time, speed and position data is imprinted. :mail:  And don't forget it can be used against you as well as for you..... :nono:

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps they could bring the homework to yours?

They already do that but don't get enough time to finish it here so have to stop and then restart when they get home. I think that the interruption is part of the problem.

• RMweb Gold

And good evening each,

As reported above by Mr. I.M.Nockheard I have successfully fixed the kitchen mixer tap without any mishaps whatsoever. Also completed several tasks domestic so am currently not sitting on the naughty step.

The Boss slow cooked a gammon joint earlier and that was sampled along with some egg 'n' chips. Absolutely lovely. Now sampling a McGuigan Black Label Shiraz which I am quite partial to.

There is a distinct possibility that I will be watching rugby shortly and I've just seen that at least 4 matches are being televised tomorrow. This can only be a good thing!

General D.Ogsbody (aka P.L.Umber aka R.Ugbyfan)

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A little sad tonight, having heard that Diane Oxberry, wonderful BBC North West weather girl and consummate professional broadcaster, has passed away at only 51. :cry:

Likewise.

Very sad.

• RMweb Premium

For those in Northern Trains land....

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/jpimedia

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/reachplc

Although a weekend ticket is pretty useless under the current regime.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Generally the monarch only delt with taking land from the nobles, the peasants were way too far down the pecking order for the King to be bothered about...

The land around  owed it's church tithe to Kings College Cambridge, to which it had been given to at the reformation. It, like much of Norfolk around the broads had belonged to various abbeys. This would suggest it was purchased by the tennants in 1812. My property purchased it's church tithe in 1927, so it suggests the land and tithes were sold separately

Like lowland Scotland where the big estate owners enclosed the land, then rented it to the tennant farmers or sold it to them. That left the cottars with no land for animals, and just the patch of land with their cottage. As at the time in Lowland Scotland there was no need for the cottars anymore, they were often evicted to the towns and villages (sometimes villages were created for them).  Some Cottar that had a skill, like weaving or smithy work did well out of it and instead of just making stuff for the laird. Made money by making stuff for the many. Most however went down the mines or into the steel works or general labouring as the evictions from the lowlands coincided with the start of the industrial revolution.

Down here that meant the cottars went to the towns to factories, or had a poor exsistance as day hire labourers. Whereas in Scotland labourers were generally hired for 6 months or a year, getting half their wages at the end. This gave many Scottish labourers the lump some to emigrate to Canada or elsewhere..

Tithes were definitely sold separately - my grandfather bought out his in the late 1920s as well - after several years of arguing with the Bishopric over how much he should be paying but the land had been bought from the church back in the 1850s

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

G'night all.

A few train times to check out for tomorrow then off to bed with an early start in the morning to reach St Evenage before the sun goes down (it feels like - 2.5 hours from here, so I'm driving to Reading which will reduce the rail/TfL journey time by at least 45 minutes, who'd live on a branchline.  but looking on the brightside it'll be even worse journey times into London when (make me very)Cross-rail arrives, no ontrain toilets either, gawd have mercy on the carriage cleaners.

• RMweb Premium

They were discussing whether or not to go to St Evenage at the MRC tonight, it's a 2.5 hour drive, or a half hour drive, then 3hours on the train including 2changes..

I won't be going...

Big news... After 1year 4 months the scaffolding and traffic lights have been removed from the cremated Swan and adjoining buildings..

At the MRC tonight, grief over my layout taking too much space, it's only temporary it will be gone long before they need the space.

And in order to expedite this one board was concentrated on to finish maybe in two weeks..

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well I never got to the workshop today, life just seemed to get in the way. By the time I’d done the shopping, put it all away etc it was almost dinner time. After dinner I walked up to the bank a paid in a dividend cheque that arrived whilst I was out. I do quite a lot of my banking on line, however, I don’t have any banking apps on my phone and I only do any on line banking when I’m at home, but you can’t pay a cheque in on line! Anyway it’s topped up the coffers quite nicely!

By the time I’d returned from the bank it was almost time for my mid-afternoon muggertea, so I decided to read instead. Tomorrow I intend to spend the whole day in the workshop.

Goodnight all

• Like 15

We've been socked in all day. I was thinking of skiing and when I looked at the skicams it turned out that the fog was only in the valleys, so off I went. Beautiful up there but the snow was a bit cruddy. It had thawed then it froze again. Not exactly Champagne Powder - more like Sierra Cement but it gave my thighs a serious work-out.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

The VBA Opera group showed Ernani tonight, Verdi's first internantional success. I got to introduce it. Plot full of chivalric honour. One of our members (retired professor of opera) had sung the first act once but had never seen the whole thing. Ours was a Met version with a young Pavarotti.

I'm preparing the layout for a meeting of the VBA railroaders. I straightened out a kink on the mainline; got a short while testing it and found that I hadn't removed the Tracksetta.

• Like 12

Good morning one and all.  Good to hear news of Debs

As I hoped, I have achieved one of my 2019 objectives, by making contact with an LGBT group to which I plan to return.  In fact it is two groups which meet monthly and complement one another.  One, which I sampled yesterday, meets in a café.  The other takes place in a methodist church and is run by the minister and her wife, with themed evenings.  I have some reservations about this but will attend in a couple of weeks to see what’s what.  Google was of no help whatsoever in finding either of these and if it had not been for a Facebook message from a former hospital radio colleague I would still be none the wiser.  As always, we’ll see what happens.

Today I will be visiting DEfine in Derbyshire, which calls for an early start and breakfast on the road.  It looks to be an interesting event.  With any luck the M1 will behave itself.  Oink, flap.

Warm thoughts to Sandy and John and all in distress or missing.

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Bonjour to all. Good to hear news about Debs and also to read of Sandy's continuing progress.

I got on well with brash clearing yesterday and lots more of the drive is now clear. Then in the afternoon departed to trainspot with Andy.(He models swiss railways) He lives between the new TGV line and the classic line to Bordeaux. We drove south for a coupe of miles to where they cross, (Just north of Luxe) then spent 2.5 hours standing on a now redundant road bridge that gave us a great view of both lines. 12 new TGV's and 4 new locos, went into the book. Good chat was had and an afternoon was well spent. In the evening Beth and I watched the latest Silent Witness. I refrained from pointing out all the procedural errors, but sort of enjoyed it, as a comedy show.

This morning I will attack the brash again as well as hopefully clearing the remains of the dead plum tree that we felled the same day. The main trunk of that has been requested by a mate who is into wood turning. Once all the brash is gone, then the main task is to tidy up the woodshed before moving the good logs from the felled trees, to where they will dry out over the next two years. We are going to start labelling our pallets of logs with dates of felling etc so that we know when to burn them.

Apart from that there is fist and mog outside so I don't think we will be going anywhere. it is however a good bit warmer so I will hopefully get into the shed later.

I hope that those heading to St Evanage enjoy themselves.

Jamie

• Like 15

Today I will be visiting DEfine in Derbyshire, which calls for an early start and breakfast on the road.  It looks to be an interesting event.  With any luck the M1 will behave itself.  Oink, flap.

Just to be clear - the 'Funny' rating was for the two-word sentence fragment.

• Like 8