The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning all

A very pleasant dawn here, quiet and pink. Now it's almost light, can just about make out the blue in the sky.

Thinking about Sandy's 8hr infusion today. Phew! That's a long time.

A busy day today doing my mum's shopping.

My mum lives in a McCarthy and Stone block which backs onto the Edinburgh South Suburban Circle, sadly hers is not one of the flats which looks directly onto the line. I have some thoughts about McC&S; one of their ways of making money is by taking a slice of sale proceeds whenever flats are sold, I believe.

Thought the 59' Bulleids may have been of interest? I never thought I'd ever see those in r-t-r. Hi Debs, btw!

Have a good day everyone

Mal

Mal,

Indeed they are "of interest", but even though I'm still lucky enough to be working/flush as it were, the thought of adding 300+ quids worth of coaches - I can manage a 5-6 coach rake on the layout - makes me gasp for air :O  :jester: and I'm sure the upper management/financial director would take a bit of a dim view also ;)

For now I'll continue to make do with the Mk1s I have, and hope for the days that those actually are available and "possibly" discounted!!

• Like 3

Gratings and salutations.

We went to the pharmacy in town yesterday and while there I got a flu shot (free to Medicare recipients). They said snow was expected and by the time we left the pharmacy/discount warehouse there was about an inch. Then it turned to rain but the temperature was below freezing and everything was getting a covering of ice.

We had planned to go to the post office but we decided to head home before conditions got any worse. Most people were driving very carefully but there are always a few halfwits who think they know better. We came across one on the highway. Looks like they had attempted to overtake someone and did a pirouette instead, then bounced off the crash barrier which stopped them from careening down a steep embankment. Sigh.

• Like 13

I now have my joining instructions for St Evenage on Saturday where I shall be seeing Baz of this particular corner of RMweb plus various luminaries from other corners;  fingers are crossed that the cold & coughing bug will by then have quietened down.  The train service appears to be total carp which is not encouraging.

But not me!  Bill

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

The flood is reducing, well in Stalham anyway, ....

interuppted, phone went, weaving group for SWMBO, who's down the garden, With the forgetful lady, luckily they were putting spinning wheels back in her car as I went for a stroll down there.

The forgetful lady turned up yesterday, as she thought yesterday was Wednesday, I sent her on to the weaving group, which I understand she found..

As for the flood, there are large traffic jams as Anglian water have as I predicted traffic lighted the road, for a hole not in the road.

Curried Christmas is on its way.. Bye..

• Like 16

Mal,

Indeed they are "of interest", but even though I'm still lucky enough to be working/flush as it were, the thought of adding 300+ quids worth of coaches - I can manage a 5-6 coach rake on the layout - makes me gasp for air :O  :jester: and I'm sure the upper management/financial director would take a bit of a dim view also ;)

For now I'll continue to make do with the Mk1s I have, and hope for the days that those actually are available and "possibly" discounted!!

Ian,

They always ran as 3 coach sets: Bk 3rd - Comp - Bk 3rd.  Could be coupled to Maunsell, later Bulleid or Mk 1 sets, or more likely as a single unit on cross country traffic.

Bill

• Like 10

After the MOT yesterday, car insurance now done as well. Loyalty clearly doesn't pay - renewal was £180 more than last years.

A quick check on comparison websites and not only have I beaten the renewal, but I've also got the cost down £300 compared to last year, as well as reducing the voluntary excess.

Scandalous really

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sir Alec Jeffreys ... thanks for the memory.  This then young man came to Birmingham (from Leicester I think) early 70's, to give an evening session on his research.  It seemed interesting so a few of us travelled up from Gloucester Royal ... coincidentally I came across the notes I took during a very interesting evening.  From John's reports it has developed extremely well in more than one sphere. 

• Like 14

Ian,

They always ran as 3 coach sets: Bk 3rd - Comp - Bk 3rd.  Could be coupled to Maunsell, later Bulleid or Mk 1 sets, or more likely as a single unit on cross country traffic.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the detail, sadly for me I've never been one to research what the reality was, more just run what I like as in rule #1, I really do often feel I should do more research.

At least this way I can more reasonably consider it as I'm now only looking at around 180 sheets for a running set!! :O

Hmmm, that's actually A BIT MORE than my pre-ordered BR Lord Nelson (TTS) seems to me :rtfm:  :jester: need to find where that money tree is ;)

• Like 16

My wifes email account, recently infected by an email from a friend, sent a spurious email to an online marketplace where she recently made several purchases. They replied to the email saying that they could not understand the email but were making a full refund.

I was a bit dubious about it but this afternoon the refund arrived in our account. Just wish it had been one of the larger purchases she had made.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Club night tonight and subs are also due.

Potter Heigham?

Acle, The stores and that stretch of bank are now closed anyway, as the broads authority have bought it, with grandiose plans for a visitor centre .

Good morning one and all

I had a haircut yesterday afternoon Which one?

Earlier, I discovered that two freshly ironed socks belonging to different pairs have gone missing. 

Chris

Ironing socks? Are you a glutton for punishment or what? Put an iron anywhere near my socks and they'd melt.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

As predicted last night, the pool was quite busy when I first got there, but thankfully it didn’t last long and after about 30 minutes it got back to the usual 10 or so. It stayed that way until just before I got out. Still I managed about 100 lengths in total so I’m quite pleased with that, but having not been since before Christmas, no doubt I’ll feel it all tomorrow!

Once I’d come home and showered, I finished off making the cake I started last night and after dinner I iced the chocolate cakes I made on Monday morning, ready for after tea tonight.

This afternoon Ava, Evie and Max were dropped off after school for tea. Tonight’s menu was chosen by Max and was spaghetti, meatballs and sauce, followed by the cakes mentioned above, so that was quite a quick tea.

For some time now Evie has got a bit of a taste for alcohol and has been drinking small amounts from Ian’s beer glass when ever he put it down. Although it was only small amounts, after a conversation with Vickie earlier this evening, we found out that last night, whilst Vickie was in the shower and Ian was sorting out some stuff in the bedroom. Evie went into the kitchen, opened the fridge and helped herself to a can of Ian’s blackberry ciders. When they both came downstairs, Evie was lying on the sofa all quiet, saying that her head felt wobbly. Needless to say, she had a very goodnights sleep! But they will now have to think seriously about where they will store there alcoholic drinks from now on!

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01