The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I finally decided on which Ruston to acquire, the one in Army livery and duly pre-ordered. Chris, I avoid the sock problem by buying a large number of identical pairs. I then even out the use by putting the freshly laundered ones at the back of the sock drawer and taking the ones to be worn from the front. Towards the end of the war in the far east my dad, a lowly lance bombadier was seconded to the US Army, he was a driver mechanic and the Americans had a dire shortage of drivers. His task was to drive a Diamond T tank transporter with Sherman tank up the Burma Road from India. For that he got the American rates of pay which corresponded with his trade/rank/experience had he been in the US army, Master Sargeant, about 4 times his British Army pay! though he lost about half of it after the Pay Corp had dealt with it, and he didn't get most of it until he was back home. This was in July 1945 and by the time the tanks reached their destination the war was all but over.

• Like 16

Greetings all from a sunny blue-skied but cold LBG. The return to school has happened for all of the other Lurkers, without too much grumbling but with no enthusiasm. Work here is seemingly about to ramp up.

Otherwise not too much to report.

Must do my tax return....

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

McCarthy and Stone will probably advertise the nearness of their Stalham developement to Stalham Station. Pity the station closed 59 and ten months ago and the quiet road behind the development is the very Busy A149 running on the lines trackbed.

Talking of Chancer developers, a couple of years back they published plans to develop the field behind the factory, pity their planned access road was through our loading bay, where the lorries are parked backs to our doors... 

They've now proposed that our factory be moved, they've obviously researched this well, because it would only cost millions to do so, three temperature controlled labs in a temperature controlled building. That would take years to organise with all the permissions required from national calibration authorities, before opening a new lab..

Anyway the company has told them to **** off  in polite language.

It's amazing to think that it's 30 years ago today, the Kegworth Air disaster happened, it seems like yesterday, but is over half the way back to the closure of Stalham station. This sad event gives me one of the few accurate dates that I can recall where I was, as next Monday I was stuck in a traffic jam on the M1 on the scratches of the crash with aircraft flying in to land overhead.. I was on the way to RAF Leeming to do some maintenance... one week earlier and....

Such is life...

Interesting thing about Kegworth.  At the time my brother was a Captain with BA. As the results of the enquiry BA introduced a large training programme to get Cabin Crew to take an interest into what was happening to the plane.  John became one of the trainers and enjoyed the task. I was nattering to him the other day and he told me that he had been asked to give a presentation about Kegworth as an example of an error chain leading to a disaster.   He's identified 30 error points in the chain that led to Kegworth. When he's done it he's going to send me the script to read.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

post-15969-0-96391800-1546954607.jpg

Peer into the back ground and you can see Windmill house.

Yours to rent for your holidays in Horning..

http://horningholidayhomes.co.uk/holiday-cottages-to-rent/the-windmill/

(A friend of mine runs the Agency)

(No I can't get you a discount)

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Chris, I'm not sure what airline(s) you will be flying but carry on cabin baggage restrictions inside and out of Australia have become draconian to the point of them actually weighing even the carry on bags on outbound flights - with a maximum limit of 7kg (15lb). If you plan to travel with computer and/or camera gear (like I usually do when visiting Australia) it is very easy to exceed 7kg.

I don't endorse my compatriots in this - I find it excessive and something I previously only encountered with the likes of Lufthansa. The claim is that it is a safety precaution - for the benefit of flight crew and passengers.

I will stipulate that no passenger should attempt to carry on a bag larger or heavier than he/she can comfortably hoist over his/her head without dropping it on someone*, but some individual responsibility and discretion seems better to me than a one-size fits all rule. 

* I have seen this happen, and *almost* happen many times.

EDIT: One of the handiest travel gadgets I have purchased is a hand-held scale designed to weight luggage.

How heavy is the scale?

:jester:

The one thing they don't weigh is the passenger.

I sometimes wear a gilet or large coat when going onboard some of the lo-co carriers with low weight limits - even when heading to warmer climes.

And stuff the pockets - inside and out with all the small - but relatively heavy - stuff, such as shaver, camera, phone. Even carried a laptop charger once...….

Once onboard, take off coat, roll it up and put it in the locker or wedge under seat.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 12

'ello, late on parade, whoops!

Nothing of note from yesterday, even the "red threads" seemed rather more subdued than I expected.

Excellent lunch with friends/relative of Julie they've now moved within about 3 miles of us so we should/will be seeing more of them, our kids grew up together so it'll be a nice reconnect.

Today, just recovered the grill (this is a rather LARGE item, not a small "Weber") that managed to blow over and shift a couple of feet across the back deck - they aren't kidding about severe wind warnings!!

Later off to a happy hour with another group of friends - seems like a busy schedule to start the New Year!

Work-wise, at a dead stop - for some reason the VPN connection won't work and emailing an array of folks to alert them/get answers over two hours ago has so far netted - NO REPLY! Doesn't bother me overly, still billing so what do I care :O  :jester:

-1 earlier and that's the predicted high with a chance of light snow, steadily dropping during the day with an overnight low of -13 forecast. Back to more "Minnesotan" weather.

Carry on...

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

How heavy is the scale?

:jester:

The one thing they don't weigh is the passenger.

I have been on a flight where we had to provide our weight when booking and took all our carry on bags to weigh them at check in. It was a 9 seater plane.

• Like 12

MOT successfully passed, albeit with the somewhat with a couple of advisories and one minor fault (apparently the garage who fitted the new battery in November haven't secured quite correctly as it is loose but not dangerously so!)

I'm catching up with the red boxes now - more than one item tempts me (Terrier and those very cute Rustons), but if I am to get something done (and the urge gets stronger by the day!), a couple of blue boxes in an E4 and LBSC Atlantic would have to come first.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Serves me right for posting late at night. (I removed the 't' from weight.) Being very light, it is relatively pointless as a weight.

And when you've used it, stuff it in the aforementioned coat pocket...… :declare:

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. I've pre-ordered my Ruston from Hattons, I now find that another emporium is offering them at £2.00 less, but after postage is taken into account there's only a few pence difference. I'll have to start on that micro-layout now.

• Like 11

I have been on a flight where we had to provide our weight when booking and took all our carry on bags to weigh them at check in. It was a 9 seater plane.

Yes, and we were then allocated specific seats - no choice!

• Like 7

I sometimes wear a gilet or large coat when going onboard some of the lo-co carriers with low weight limits - even when heading to warmer climes.

And stuff the pockets - inside and out with all the small - but relatively heavy stuff ...

And heavy walking boots co-ordinate with any outfit - even tee shirt and shorts.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I'm back and I'm still alive  :heat: just, it was pleasant considering I hate shopping after a few glasses of wine over lunch she became pleasant.

What made life easy today was I used the park and ride for the first time instead huffing & cussing trying to find space in a car park in the middle of Guildford

and no serious damage to the wallet either but she wants me to log on to John Lewis later so I've not finished yet.

Mike those McCarthy & Stone placed are wonderful as long as you wear ear plugs I done some decorating on several flats at one place and got talked to death

on the first day I picked up some ear defenders for the rest of my time there as you walk into reception you can hear the roar chatter of and Chrisf's favorite

noise the rattle of knitting needles believe they don't come up for air even got chatted up by one very old lady. :scared:    :tongueclear:   

Having accused GDB of telling porkies I'll own up to an order of 6 non corridor GWR coaches you have got to live dangerously sometimes.

A Grasse :jester:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I'm back and I'm still alive  :heat: just, it was pleasant considering I hate shopping after a few glasses of wine over lunch she became pleasant.

What made life easy today was I used the park and ride for the first time instead huffing & cussing trying to find space in a car park in the middle of Guildford

and no serious damage to the wallet either but she wants me to log on to John Lewis later so I've not finished yet.

Mike those McCarthy & Stone placed are wonderful as long as you wear ear plugs I done some decorating on several flats at one place and got talked to death

on the first day I picked up some ear defenders for the rest of my time there as you walk into reception you can hear the roar chatter of and Chrisf's favorite

noise the rattle of knitting needles believe they don't come up for air even got chatted up by one very old lady. :scared:    :tongueclear:   

Having accused GDB of telling porkies I'll own up to an order of 6 non corridor GWR coaches you have got to live dangerously sometimes.

A Grasse :jester:

Mind you, one of the most recent to open does overlook a local Heritage Line; you might get lucky and get an apartment overlooking the line!!

• Like 11