The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Ah

There was a month-long period of official mourning following the death of President George H.W. Bush (41). It ended at sunset on December 30.

Flags have since returned to full-mast.

That was my other guess. I did notice that flags had been raised towards the end of our trip.

One thing that many Californian brewers have been doing is selling a collaboration beer with Sierra Nevada brewing to raise funds fo those who lost out in the fires.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I think if asked my opinion I should be honest. Well with clothes, I get sent away when it is for curtain fabrics.

I have always been honest with my opinion when asked. The fact that I am still here to tell the tale must mean that the truth, whilst it may hurt  (and sometimes has), is appreciated.

Belated congratulations to Stewart; like Jamie we celebrate our 40th this year. The actual date happens to fall over Easter so we're going to Paris a week later because Easter prices were so expensive. I know, cheapskates!

Blimey! Our 40th was seven years ago :)

50 for us next year (as long as she doesn't get fed up with me telling the truth!)   :whistle:

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Further to my earlier post about boilers, showers and cars the boiler engineer duly turned up after phoning to advise of time of arrival and very quickly found and fixed the fault. In the meantime yours truly fixed the shower and the car dealer was contacted and told SiL Steve to return the car immediately for repair under warranty.

All in all a pretty good result.  :yes:  

PS Nothing in Red Boxes will be harmed  by me.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

r

Over the years I've met quite a few Americans (of the US variety) who were stationed at the Polaris base in the Holy Loch. Despite the frequently atrocious weather they all loved it and were sad when it was time to leave.

I once spent the month of February around the corner in Loch Striven - I was very glad to leave that!  On this, parked up with no work for a while.  It was as cold as a fridge, the wind down that Loch was horrendous.

post-10195-0-64843200-1546890878_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Blimey! Our 40th was seven years ago :)

I have always been honest with my opinion when asked. The fact that I am still here to tell the tale must mean that the truth, whilst it may hurt  (and sometimes has), is appreciated.

50 for us next year (as long as she doesn't get fed up with me telling the truth!)   :whistle:

You both married young then?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The key words to remember are "No dear, your derriere does not look big in that."

Just remember to say the word NOT.

Jamie

Jamie she doesn't have a lard @rse she is only a petite 5' tall I will never be embarrassed walking down the street with her unless she starts to tongue lash  

some-one. :girldevil:  :nono:   :blackeye:

• Like 1

r

I once spent the month of February around the corner in Loch Striven - I was very glad to leave that!  On this, parked up with no work for a while.  It was as cold as a fridge, the wind down that Loch was horrendous.

attachicon.gifYorkshire2-1975.jpg

I remember seeing several tankers parked up Loch Striven in the late sixties/early seventies. MrsID's parents had one of the terraced cottages just behind Toward lighthouse and we used to walk up Loch Striven a lot (but never in February)

post-25691-0-13263200-1546893035_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I remember seeing several tankers parked up Loch Striven in the late sixties/early seventies. MrsID's parents had one of the terraced cottages just behind Toward lighthouse and we used to walk up Loch Striven a lot (but never in February)

attachicon.gifDSCN0557.JPG

This was, errr…...78 IIRC.  There where two biggies at the top, Coastal Hercules and Coastal Corpus Christie, which have a bit of a story behind them.  Then two P&O gas tankers, Gastor and Nestor (how can I remember their names, but not yesterday's dinner?) then us. She was powered down and we lived in caravans on deck, 5 officers, no one else on.  Then one morning we turned to and the old man (Captain) did a quick sight - we were quarter of a mile down the loch!  This was with four anchors and two huge concrete blocks allegedly holding us fast.  Windy night.  But not as windy as the desk pilots in the office in Liverpool when we told them!

• Like 1

One thing that many Californian brewers have been doing is selling a collaboration beer with Sierra Nevada brewing to raise funds fo those who lost out in the fires.

Yes. Resilience Butte County Proud, if I'm not mistaken.

How often did you encounter Bourbon Barrel aged beers? They've been around for quite a while (and I do enjoy them with big dark ales) but seem to be done for just about every style now and instead of 'interesting' are becoming ubiquitous. Where they had been used for dark or red ales, someone shared a Bourbon barrel aged Imperial IPA with me over the break. At a certain point they make everything taste a little 'samey'.

You know it's become a fad when Budweiser starts doing it.

I was a happy bunny to find Rogue's Hazelutely Choctabulous at the supermarket.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The Coastal Hercules/Corpus Christie tankers were the biggest ships ever built in the UK, Harland & Wolff, Belfast.  300,000 tons deadweight.  Yes the comma is in the right place.  These were serious ships - that missed their desired market, too big, too late.

post-10195-0-46364300-1546896186.jpg

However, when hit by an Exocet, this happened.....life in the Merch isn't all beer and skittles.  Just mostly…..

post-10195-0-22996800-1546896213_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yes. Resilience Butte County Proud, if I'm not mistaken.

How often did you encounter Bourbon Barrel aged beers? They've been around for quite a while (and I do enjoy them with big dark ales) but seem to be done for just about every style now and instead of 'interesting' are becoming ubiquitous. Where they had been used for dark or red ales, someone shared a Bourbon barrel aged Imperial IPA with me over the break. At a certain point they make everything taste a little 'samey'.

You know it's become a fad when Budweiser starts doing it.

I was a happy bunny to find Rogue's Hazelutely Choctabulous at the supermarket.

Resilliance is the one I was htinking of - we had it a few times .

My first Bourbon barrel aged brew was in 2008,  Ballast Point (when they were a home brew shop with tiny brewkit out back) Bourbon Barrel Aged Marlin  11% (IIRC) and was superb.

Quite a few Bourbon barrel aged brews this time  including white Stouts, hazy IPA's. My favourite fad was black IPA's but hardly see them in the USA of recent. Luckily Windsor & Eton over here do a regular one.

Rogue Brewing is still one of my favourites and we normally go for the darker chocolate infused styles

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Of course if I relied solely on exported British television as a cultural reference for life in Britain, I'd be terrified to set foot in the middle of Somerset due to the horrendous murder rate there. 

As we're on the edge of Midsomer Murders land (it's set in Bucks and Oxon) - with various locations locally being used in the series over the years - I reckon you'd probably be a lot safer in Somerset although Cornwall and possibly Devon would be distinctly dodgy..

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

As we're on the edge of Midsomer Murders land (it's set in Bucks and Oxon) - with various locations locally being used in the series over the years - I reckon you'd probably be a lot safer in Somerset although Cornwall and possibly Devon would be distinctly dodgy..

You should be quite safe in Cornwall so long as you can correctly pronounce Mousehole, Trewoon, Marazanvose, Poughill and Widemouth Bay. Also getting Tintagel, Marazion and Boxheater correct will be a distinct advantage.

In Somserset and Devon you only have to master Woolfardisworthy. Remarkably there is one in each county and they are pronounced differently.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Cakes have been baked and a few brownie points were earned afterwards by cleaning the brass door furniture on the front door. I then headed to the workshop where a good few hours were spent. More work has been done on the G16, wheel weights have been cut and fixed on all the driving wheels and a pair for f valves have been made to fit on top of the fire box, either side of the whistle, but I think the pipework that goes to the cab is a little too big, so I’ll change that next time I go in there.

I took a few photos of the progress with the body just plonked on the chassis and it wasn’t until I downloaded them that I noticed the valve support bracket was slightly adrift, oops! The camera can be very cruel, but it’s actually a very good fit.

Side view

post-27337-0-49335700-1546905399_thumb.jpeg

Back end

post-27337-0-49876300-1546905428_thumb.jpeg

Front end

post-27337-0-51549400-1546905480_thumb.jpeg

Goodnight all

• Like 16