The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Rick, I worked as a bus conductor in Inverclyde for a summer in the 1960s. There was a depot ship for US missile submarines across the river, and we got lots of sailors across on shore leave. We were told to accept dollars from them at 7/-, and cash them in at 7/3d. It was fun to have a sailor say with a smirk "I don't have any Scottish money, only these" while flashing dollars, and be able to say "No problem sir". The smirk usually disappeared. It was especially good if the note was $10 - half a crown to the conductor!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

My time in the workshop has been quite productive today. Some more work was done on the G16, it’s now mainly adding detail bits, so as I’ve added most of the lamp brackets and both the vac pipes, there rear one needed a bit to f extra work as it has a pipe branching off that is clearly visible and so could not be omitted. The next step is to replace the wheel counter weights, as they are the wrong shape and size.

Goodnight all

• Like 11

Rick, I worked as a bus conductor in Inverclyde for a summer in the 1960s. There was a depot ship for US missile submarines across the river, and we got lots of sailors across on shore leave. We were told to accept dollars from them at 7/-, and cash them in at 7/3d. It was fun to have a sailor say with a smirk "I don't have any Scottish money, only these" while flashing dollars, and be able to say "No problem sir". The smirk usually disappeared. It was especially good if the note was $10 - half a crown to the conductor!

Over the years I've met quite a few Americans (of the US variety) who were stationed at the Polaris base in the Holy Loch. Despite the frequently atrocious weather they all loved it and were sad when it was time to leave.

• Like 13

I didn't think there was an Inverclyde in the 1960s :)

I thought the later collective term was tidier, and more recognisable to more people than "Gourock, Greenock and the Port". :)

Over the years I've met quite a few Americans (of the US variety) who were stationed at the Polaris base in the Holy Loch. Despite the frequently atrocious weather they all loved it and were sad when it was time to leave.

Local opinions of the American sailors were quite definitely "divided".
  • Like 8

Good morning one and all, with belated congratulations to Stewart for his 40th wedding anniversary.

Gosh, approving comments re The Tie!  Thanks, folks.  I bought it at Pride Cymru in August and unlike the flags being waved by all and sundry at that event it has all seven colours of the rainbow!  Neil is quite right that a white shirt would have been better but the opportunity to have it photographed arose unexpectedly.  It may go well with my grey shirt.  One thing on which you can rely is that it will not be worn with a pink shirt unless it is stolen by someone who owns one.

Today sees my third appointment with Sarah the counsellor.  She has it in mind to do a timeline with me so heaven knows what that will uncover.  Thus far I feel that I am in good hands.  I can tell her of some encouraging signs as regards confidence.

Warm thoughts to all in distress or missing, with special thoughts to John and Sandy.

Chris

• Like 15

Morning All,

It is a dark, but relatively mild morning today.

The weekend was quiet - I wasn't feeling at my best due to this cold, but normal service has more or less resumed this morning.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 13

Morning all.

Going back to work today does not fill me with glee - the job itself is fine, but some of the characters less so. Muggacoffee on the go and a contemplative mood to begin the day.

Kids all still in bed, so 10 minutes of peace before I get them up and dressed!

Have a good day all, I look forward to seeing what replaces the countdown!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from this side of the pond.

A good day was had Saturday in San Francisco depsite it being the only day of rain we had the entire trip. We sheltered in an outside but under cover bar at the old ferry building drinking fine beers till it stopped rianeing then we caught an old tram along the water front to the ball park where we alighted ot visit 21st Amendment brewing. T shirts obtained for two friends, one paritcularly requesting one form that brewery as his one has worn out since he visited.

From there we visited a couple of other breweries before heading back to Market Street to get the BART to the airport.

A pleasant flight home on a Dreamliner (IMHO, they really are one of the best planes around at the moment) taking just 9 hours from take off back to Heathrow.

Underground form there to VIC where the usual mess on Southern / GTR due to engineering works decimating the service (one train an hour to Redhill from VIC) so a half hour wait only for it to go 13 late missing what should have been a good connection to the bus home.

Instead it took 1.5 hours to go from VIC to Coulsdon South, a distance of around 15 miles and the train was packed. A nice welcome back and first ride this year on the usual carp service which got my blood pressure going up. We waited for the bus from Coulsodon South to home instead.

So after being up well over 24 hours we soon fell asleep around 9.30pm. My other half is working from home today so she doesnt have to endure the Great White Worms and as she has a stinking cold may also work from home tomorrow and void buyingf the new inflated season ticket for another day. At some other local stations, some fares have gone down but Redhill, Merstham and Reigate have gone up (despite promises they would be reduced due to last years farce with the timetable) which has set off our MP on the warpath with DaFT again but dont hold out much hope of any change.

Photos now uplaoded to the server at home and bags all unpacked but plenty of post to catch up with.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

6.5 hours sleep, but I awoke feeling Carp, sniffles, headache, feeling very cold and backpain.. Pink pills taken with breakfast.

Occasional very light drizzle when Patrolling Ben the Border Collie and when Driving in. Thankfully Ben only wanted a short trip outside, as it's chilly but not frosty.

I note a new water leak, this one is by the side of the road Junction of the A149 and the Sea Palling road, that is just about 100ft from the entrance to Tess and co. When they dig that one up it will time for an alternative route, as it will be chaos...

On the local radio the NHS has announced a "ten year plan for the 20Billion extra they are receiving over the next 5 years" ok what are the going to spend for the second 5 years?

I'm waiting for this weeks major system to be released, I could do without the wait...

Time to go down the lab to see if it's ready yet.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A mild start to the day with the chance of some rain and also some bright spells.

Yesterday's roast beef was excellent and even The Boss approved but she would probably have liked it cooked for another 10 minutes. However it has been decreed that I can do it again.

First up today is a quick trip to Sainsbury's. Later on we're off to Nicki's to await a boiler engineer as hers has packed up. She's also asked me to look at their shower head as that "is not right." Abbie's new car won't start and needs to go back to the dealer because of an electrical fault and she's broken her glasses. They're not having a good start to the New Year!

I've got to look for a spare washer/cartridge kit for our kitchen tap but so far had no luck so will be phoning the manufacturer today. P!ssed off with it as it was only replaced a couple of years ago and from memory the kit costs about  £30 which is about half the cost of the complete bl##dy tap!

And breathe..

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a slightly misty corner of La Belle France.   However we have managed to keep the log burner burning overnight for two nights now and the house as a whole is definitely warmer.  I've got to go and fill the log basket as soon as I finish typing this.   Today we are off to Niort which is about 35 miles away.  The mission is to buy new handles for the kitchen cupboards and drawers.  Beth is gradually repainting them all and wants new handles that will be easier for her to open when her hands aren't working very well.  

Congratulations to Stewart and his other half.   Beth and I reach the same anniversary in June and preparations for a celebratory trip are well in hand.   

Chris, I wish you well with the counselling.   My experience is that it can be very helpful.

Regards to all and I hope to see you all again on the other side of zero hour.   Well named as I have no interest in the announcements.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Up somewhat earlier than normal in order to hack and cough but that resulted in an early cuppa so all was not in vain and muggatea no.2 has just, finally, been finished.  I see the red banner clock hasn't got too long to go, thank goodness, and in view of what has been going on of late I can't see it being replaced by a blue one, thank goodness (again) although I do wonder if some sort of 'spoiler' will appear instead.  Quite why we get a 'fixed' banner instead of the  changing ones that exist on other threads I really don't know but presumably there's something somewhere in the software that results in us being lumbered.

No real plans for today -I need to book an appointment with one of the Good Count's daughters for next week and we need to stock up on paper hankies but that's about it.

Have a good day everybody.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s a wet start to the day here in the not so sunny northwest. Sheila is getting ready for her Zumba class and once she’s gone, I’ll make a start on some chocolate cupcakes for Wednesday’s tea, then I’ll make the trip down to the workshop and continue working on the G16.

Enjoy whatever you have planned for the day.

Back later

• Like 13

Ian, your MP should see Failing about the fare r..... No, hang on, he would have to explain the concept of money, something that Failing has yet to get a grasp of. If you haven't seen Failing in the last few days , he's been holed up in his office , with his staff showing him cue cards of lorries. That is in case he is interviewed about the blockage between Manston and Dover, and he might have to recognise a lorry.

I was gardening yesterday, cutting back the pyracantha that was encroaching on a path, then deciding that was due to the overhang of a neighbour's fir tree. Now have very cut hands.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Ian, your MP should see Failing about the fare r..... No, hang on, he would have to explain the concept of money, something that Failing has yet to get a grasp of. If you haven't seen Failing in the last few days , he's been holed up in his office , with his staff showing him cue cards of lorries. That is in case he is interviewed about the blockage between Manston and Dover, and he might have to recognise a lorry.

He might also be trying to find out what a real ferry looks like aswell :sungum:

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

The red thing shows 30 minutes to go and a few minutes later a Froth Nerd will say nothing in it for me on the Yawnby 2019  thread, that must be the worst

long standing joke ever still these yearly rituals go on as before it makes me wonder why, I think I'm due another outage to get my sanity back.

This morning I seem to have gained some hearing back, PAH I can now hear what SWMBO is saying unlike yesterday I just smiled shrugged the shoulders

then ignored her I can't do that tomorrow as it will be her beck and call day(birthday) she's getting very close to drawing her state pension perhaps I need to buy 

one of those things for her you hang on the outside of your house for bats.

enjoy your day I.M. Loosinitt 

• Like 2

Come on, own up, who else watched the Hornby clock tick down to zero! But the world didn't blow up!!

Bill

Ps - I've just checked, absolutely nothing in Spur Null. Ian, don't bother, no Czech TT either. Bloody typical! B

Edited by bbishop

• RMweb Gold

Come on, own up, who else watched the Hornby clock tick down to zero! But the world didn't blow up!!

Bill

Ps - I've just checked, absolutely nothing in Spur Null. Ian, don't bother, no Czech TT either. Bloody typical! B

I was giving some further detail about S&D Jt headcodes - but it seemed RMweb slowed down all of a sudden.   Seems we're now being tempted to go to Queensland

• Like 9

I was giving some further detail about S&D Jt headcodes - but it seemed RMweb slowed down all of a sudden.   Seems we're now being tempted to go to Queensland

Victoria actually. Is this Chris's doing?

Bill

• Like 8