The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Our family always used to laugh at the intro to one of her earlier programmes - Dr Alice Roberts, PhD in Anthropology AND Medical Doctor. Imagine it was to prove her credentials, but eveytime we see her on tv now some smart*rse always adds "and medical doctor".

Did she need to prove her qualifications for the telly role?

Anyone know what David Attenborough's university qualifications are? Me neither.

About to venture out, looks chilly.

Mal

Which basically means she's spent most of her life at school or university. born 1973 graduated 1997, finished PHD 2008

(although working a since  1997  18 months doctor, then rest back in university as a lecturer,,

Sir David Frederick Attenborough OM CH CVO CBE FRS FLS FZS FSA FRSGS

Clare College, Cambridge,  where he studied geology and zoology, a degree in natural sciences

• Like 4

I read a similar book called "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps" It was quite illuminating. One thing that I remember was a section about pain thresholds and that after research men have a much higher pain threshold. Apparently due to running past thorn bushes when out hunting in the days before clothes. I have however been a coward and never mentioned this to my other half when she says "If men had to give birth there wouldn't be any more babies."

Jamie

What about "enormous" spiders?? I cannot type anymore as I hear her  coming up the ...................................................................................

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a currently bright and sunny albeit slightly colder south east spot closer to France than most of the UK.

Back from my first shop of the year at my local Sainsburys. Upon arrival was greeted by a large sign announcing that prices of some items have been locked down for 8 weeks but upon entering the shop didn't come across any locked-down items but did find the following:

- bananas increased from from 78p to 83p per kilo

- Taste the Different chicken marsala meal increased from £3.50 to £4.00

- 4pints of milk increased from £1.10 to £1.15

- can of squidgy cream increased from £1.50 to £1.55

- half a cucumber increased from 35p to 40p

- Taste the Difference Shortbread increased from £1.50 to £1.60

- deli filler increased from £1.25 to £1.50

- Ginger Jam increased from 75p to £1

- cherry tomatoes increased from 80p to 85p

- sweet leaf salad increased from 75p to 80p

Welcome to 2018!! Have a good day,

Keith

Think how much they'll go up in 2019 :sungum:

Morning from a currently bright and sunny albeit slightly colder south east spot closer to France than most of the UK.

Back from my first shop of the year at my local Sainsburys. Upon arrival was greeted by a large sign announcing that prices of some items have been locked down for 8 weeks but upon entering the shop didn't come across any locked-down items but did find the following:

- bananas increased from from 78p to 83p per kilo

- Taste the Different chicken marsala meal increased from £3.50 to £4.00

- 4pints of milk increased from £1.10 to £1.15

- can of squidgy cream increased from £1.50 to £1.55

- half a cucumber increased from 35p to 40p

- Taste the Difference Shortbread increased from £1.50 to £1.60

- deli filler increased from £1.25 to £1.50

- Ginger Jam increased from 75p to £1

- cherry tomatoes increased from 80p to 85p

- sweet leaf salad increased from 75p to 80p

Welcome to 2018!! Have a good day,

Keith

Thinking back to when our money went to decimal coinage from pound, shillings and pence. A newspaper, for example, went from 3d to 3p, Would everything be cheaper if we went back after the end of March? I don't think so!  :no:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a still dark fresno but sun is coking up as 1000's of crows that roost in the downtown trees are taking flight. Very surreal seeing the sky filled with black dots as far as the eye can see. The pavments are specklled in white all over town when walking around.

Time to head north to Santa Rosa in time to do the SMART commuter line then Russian River brewing

• Like 19

Good morning...

Yesterday the visit to the doctor saw an immediate improvement - at least when the delightful nurse practitioner join me! Not seen her before and definitely someone to brighten your day :O

Given a nasal mist, "use once a day for two weeks, if there's no improvement call the ENT and go see them..." , righto!

At least I was feeling some better already by late evening.

-3 here this AM and sunny, expected to reach +3 as we have milder weather joining us for a few days.

Not BIN day here as everything is offset a day due to the New Years Day holiday.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Pain thresholds - with us both having had a lot of poking, stabbing and scalpel slashing over the last two years, I can wholeheartedly say the local female of the species is a harder job than this male!  Just to remind me Debs is having cortisone injections into some finger joints tomorrow - I'll be cringing in the corner. 

I fully admit to using the full range of strong but legally prescribed drugs available when I had my foot injury and subsequent surgery.  I've had several assorted surgeries over the years, but that was the only time I woke up in more pain than I went in with.  After I saw the photos of the surgery later I understood why! Bleurghhhh.

• RMweb Gold

Evening.

Pain thresholds - with us both having had a lot of poking, stabbing and scalpel slashing over the last two years, I can wholeheartedly say the local female of the species is a harder job than this male!  Just to remind me Debs is having cortisone injections into some finger joints tomorrow - I'll be cringing in the corner.

I fully admit to using the full range of strong but legally prescribed drugs available when I had my foot injury and subsequent surgery.  I've had several assorted surgeries over the years, but that was the only time I woke up in more pain than I went in with.  After I saw the photos of the surgery later I understood why! Bleurghhhh.

You Wuss. :jester:

A more efficient day than yesterday - aside from half an hour when Hannah decided it was time for doze, I don't seem to have stopped! Today's activities included another trip to Eastbourne, this time to drop Charlie off to meet his biological father (a once a year affair, though they get on well enough).

Whilst there, picked up MRJ (the only one of the monthlies I buy these days) for the first time in six months. The fires are stirring again...

Since he got back we've done some figure painting, next up a bit of football business to attend to this evening with an incoming transfer form to scan through, but first time for a muggacoffee and something out of the rapidly dwindling box of Christmas biscuits.

• Like 17

We went to the cinema yesterday. It's a place where they show films on a big screeny thing.....

The kids saw "Ralph Breaks The Internet" while we watched "Mary Queen Of Scots".

SPOILER ALERT:

It doesn't go well in the end.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. In Tess Coes today I picked up the latest BRM. Attached to the magazine were four 3D printed figures based on the editorial team. Our esteemed leader is easy to pick out, a shining (reflected) light leads the way, and all the others have hair. I had better not go any further as I have no wish to be banned.

• Like 2

We went to the cinema yesterday. It's a place where they show films on a big screeny thing.....

The kids saw "Ralph Breaks The Internet" while we watched "Mary Queen Of Scots".

SPOILER ALERT:

Why, did something bad happen to Ralph?

A belated happy new year to you all.

I spent a relaxing long weekend in Central Oregon - mostly watching televised college (and some professional) American football, but there were convivial evenings with a surfeit of fermented red grapes and a couple of stops at a local taproom sampling big dark ales.

Night time temperatures were freezing and daytime temperatures were chilly, (not cold by Minnesota standards) with mostly blue skies. It was a nice change from the seasonal grey overcast and rain on this side of the mountains.

Despite (or because of) the break, I am not really ready for the office grind, which is now back in full swing.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

Time to head north to Santa Rosa in time to do the SMART commuter line then Russian River brewing

Enjoy one of their Belgian ales for me. Were I there, I would have a Pliny the Elder - just because. (I know you are not a big IPA guy, but it is a Russian River essential.)

A news story that Google thought I might like indicated that there are now 7,000 breweries in the US. It might have been this one, and was probably based on this one.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I'll have the IPA! :sungum:

But treat it with care. You can do daft things after supping it. I proposed to Beth after a few pints of William Youngers Cask Conditioned IPA.

Jamie

PS La Poste is a bit slow we got 3 more Christmas cards from the UK today.

• Like 16

SPOILER ALERT:

Did you keep a poker face?
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

SPOILER ALERT:

We sat down to watch a recent film last night. Superhero type scenario. Aditi wasn’t feeling too well so went to bed saying “it will be the usual “good triumphs over evil” plot. I told her later she was wrong.
  • Like 14

But treat it with care. You can do daft things after supping it. I proposed to Beth after a few pints of William Youngers Cask Conditioned IPA.

Jamie

PS La Poste is a bit slow we got 3 more Christmas cards from the UK today.

Beth or you?

Bill