The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A quiet day here today - Sal was in bed until early afternoon after her night shift, and the kids mostly behaved themselves, so took the opportunity to sit down and read one of my Christmas presents - an excellent book for those who remember when football was footballBeing born in 1984, I just about remember it before the 'Year Zero' of the Premier League, but those older would get even more of a nostalgic thrill than I did.

They are now all watching the Dr Who New Year's Special, so I'm now assembling one of Charlie's Warhammer figures which he was struggling with for him. Really quite taken with the quality of these figures, especially for the price, and I've enjoyed helping build and paint these with him. He wants to pop into Eastbourne tomorrow for some more paint, so I may treat myself to a starter set of Orks and associated paint as well.

We have just watched and enjoyed the Doctor Who special. I must have spent years helping to paint Warhammer figures. My railway modelling tools were often required too. Fantasy, 40K and Lord of The Rings, we had them all.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

GDB you don't know what you might miss.  DCC controlled ducking giraffe car, DCC exploding ammunition car......and a RTR P4 GWR 101 tank.

Ooooooh Nooooo! What have I done? I am completely devastated and distraught! My life will never be the same!   :jester:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

We have just watched and enjoyed the Doctor Who special. I must have spent years helping to paint Warhammer figures. My railway modelling tools were often required too. Fantasy, 40K and Lord of The Rings, we had them all.

Tony

They all seemed to enjoy it, although apparently it wasn't as good as last years special.

I'm also using modelling tools - my old Xurons have been pressed into use to cut parts from sprues, and I've also donated some Tamiya paint for some small bits of brown strapping. I have no doubt more will follow in time!

• Like 15

OK here we go - gathering....

attachicon.gifDip.jpg

aannnnd GO!

attachicon.gifdip2.jpg

Friends Gemma and Matty - wet.

attachicon.gifGemma.jpg

The NHN's in the meantime, keep warm!

attachicon.gifNHNs.jpg

Mrs NHN wants one of these for her next car.  OK in the rain and deep puddles....the tractor that is!

attachicon.giftracks.jpg

Happy New Year to all,

The other side of the water, similar things were happening! The annual New Years Day St Bees sea swim took place. Needless to say, I did not partake!

post-9029-0-85793800-1546377262_thumb.jpeg

post-9029-0-09398900-1546377292_thumb.jpeg

• Like 19

Phew! I received a confirmation that the money had been deposited back into the account it came from in the first place. I was beginning to think I'd been hacked but it was just a good old cork-up. Now to try and get it back into the checking (current) account. It only took about three weeks the last time :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well we ended up staying up until after midnight, something we haven’t done for many a year, but to be honest, we should have gone to bed earlier instead. We’ve not made any resolutions, as neither of us see the point.

I’ve spent part of the day in the workshop, where more work has been done on the G16 today. I’ve added the handrails, smoke box handles and the highly visible valve gear support brackets, which I’ve scratch built from plasticard. Yesterday, I made a small circuit board that sits between the controller(s) and track. It’s basically a couple of 4 pin sockets and a 2 pole connector. This will now enable be to simply plug in my ZTC controller or an old Gaugemaster (model HH) handheld feedback controller that I recently found in an old box of stuff that was Mike’s when he used to have a model railway. The feedback controller takes up a lot less space than the ZTC controller and it is ideal when working on locos before one is, but of course it can’t be used when the loco has a chip fitted. Swapping between the two now will take only a few seconds and will mean I don’t have to keep changing mode on the ZTC.

Goodnight all

• Like 16

I'm going to be very glad when that banner ad with that ****ing countdown counts down!

I notice that the establishment in question is providing a countdown for a Bachmann preorder launch. Maybe they will start that in 5 days time, or maybe they won’t - tongue firmly placed in cheek at present.

Thoughts and good wishes continue to be sent to your good self and a Sandy.

The first day of the year has started with a black dog battle. Small things seem to be triggering issues at the moment, although tiredness from last night’s late night could well be the reason.

This morning the January tidy up has begun with plenty of loads of recycling moved to the various bins outside. There is a long list of new year sorting to get through.i am hoping to clear out a load of stuff that I have not got round to sorting during the difficult last twelve months. I may get it done by next year.

Best wishes

Andy

• RMweb Gold

The garden railway is closed down for the winter but I tried to replicate one of my pictures indoors:

Surely you want to use that in the winter :sungum:

Years ago I remember running trains in the snow but I do need to get the G gauge running again as its not run for some years now. My Aristocraft controller packed up and I now have our late friends one but its slightly different model and no instructions with it, I haven't yet found any on line to get it working.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 16

Evening all, Happy New Year from the far south east corner, trust everything goes well for everybody.

Recently I seem to be on the lookout for models of real life locos etc. that I've seen out and about. At least 15 years ago I was on a charter on the RhB I saw and took pictures of this interesting looking thing:

attachicon.gifAlpGrum-02.jpg

attachicon.gifAlpGrum-03.jpg

Last year LGB were celebrating their 50th birthday and decided to do a special model of the RhB Rotary Snowplow in metal (something the old LGB used to do many years ago in cooperation with Aster), the same one that I saw in Switzerland all those years ago. Very nice I thought but when I saw the price I had second thoughts. A few weeks later I had a chat with a friendly LGB dealer and placed an order with him taking in part exchange a number of LGB items that I was thinking of selling on. This bought the price of the item down to a reasonable level..... and just before Christmas this arrived:

attachicon.gifRhBSnowplow-07.jpg

The garden railway is closed down for the winter but I tried to replicate one of my pictures indoors:

attachicon.gifRhBSnowplow-08.jpg

There is a mention in the instruction booklet that the model does not have any metal parts in the rotary head itself just in case some little (or maybe big) fingers get caught up in the mechanism.

Next on my list of locos seen, models being made is this loco that I saw rotting away in Dalat, Vietnam in 1967/1968:

attachicon.gifVietnam31-204.jpg

Kiss, I understand, has just produced a model. Watch this space as they say.....

Time to hit the sack now, pleasant dreams.....

Keith

Bring it over here. I have a small LGB set and we do have the "right snow" at the moment.

(I sort of gave on the snow-chucker for my tractor. Most of the time we have the "wrong snow".)

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!Still too dark to see what the weather is like up here in the North West Leeds Highlands this morning.

Didn't win the Euromillions last night..pah! So a planned fully funded ERs get together has to wait a bit longer.

I note that one of the fathers of the internet has died in the USA. Now, from an engineering view the Internet made use of existing techniques to link a new set of terminals together (ie computers). Similar processes had been used before (an example would be the way Fighter Command defended the UK during the Battle of Britain)

So rather than saying they invented the internet shouldn't it be they modernised a process using new technologies available to them?

With that I am off to drink my mugatea.

C u later,

Baz

Ps very positive thoughts to all who ail.

• Like 18

I note that one of the fathers of the internet has died in the USA. Now, from an engineering view the Internet made use of existing techniques to link a new set of terminals together (ie computers). Similar processes had been used before (an example would be the way Fighter Command defended the UK during the Battle of Britain)

So rather than saying they invented the internet shouldn't it be they modernised a process using new technologies available to them?

I think it was more than "use of existing techniques". There were at least some new concepts involved:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

• Like 8