The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It was decided that there was no great urgency to go to Waitrose and that it could wait until next week, so the afternoon was spent at home. Not a great deal was done, apart from helping Sheila clean the windows in the kitchen, I also did the leaded windows of the front door, inside and out too.

I haven’t a f******g clue where my car (Vauxhall Mokka), French (formerly US owned) British brand was made, nice car though!

Goodnight all

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner Temple here,

6.5 hours sleep, in one lot, very good for me.

Cars SWMBO's is Korean made, but they were also made ( assembled) in Russia Iran and Ecuador.

The Landrover was made when it was British. Real landrovers were assembled in many countries, Australia , South Africa, Malaysia, Belgium amoungst others. Spain Made them, and then went on to produce "alikes" called the Santana with different engines and some small changes to the body.

The Kia has a cable operated hand brake on a hand brake lever.

The Land Rover had a hand brake operating on a drum on the propshaft, just behind the transfer box, it now has a disc in its place, which works better and doesn't fill with mud and rust.

Ah,, Ben the Border Collie is standing alongside me, giving me the stare, time for the patrol...

Time too... Move...

• Like 16

Good morning all

A beautiful sunrise this morning but now clouding over a little. Sunshine expected this afternoon.

Returning my mum's dried washing this morning; her carers are away this week so it's not a problem. Then I'll pay a visit to Harburn Hobbies for a Southern passenger brake van B. Will also have a look at the J36 to see if it's as delightful in the flesh. Ooops awl!

Gabe back at work today. Getting there with her tax return, not that the exchequer will be able to buy much stationery with that.

Hope your days go well

Mal

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s a little dull this morning but quite warm (for this time of year). Breakfast has been consumed and I’ve almost finished my muggertea. Once that’s finished I’m off to the Trafford Centre for a few bits and pieces, I won’t be there long as no doubt it will be full of numpties. Then I’ll go the butchers on my way home and collect the weekly meat rations and the pies I ordered yesterday, so that’ll be tonight’s tea sorted then.

Back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Lie in successfully completed and breakfast cooked.

Another chapter or so of Edward Marston's "Iron Horse", a lightweight and enjoyable read. 

Half the family are off shopping. I don't know what they could possibly need as we all exchanged gifts a few days ago. 

My NY resolution should perhaps to be less grumpy. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Thanks for the update on Sandy John, looks as if its going to be a bit of a roller coaster hopefully with a satisfactory outcome. My Korean car was built in India, it arrived 3 months late due to a strike in the factory making them. Its now more than ten years old but still under 28,000 miles. If I do replace it I am considering an electric car, the only drawback being the range of such vehicles. Thats all for now, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Two accessories available from the dealer were electronic ignition and a twin Weber carburettor. My 1500 had both!

Also, don't forget that the Lada was REAR wheel drive whilst the Xr3i was front; dropping the clutch put the large proportion of the weight on the rear axle assuring traction; the Xr3i just wheel-spun!

You may doubt this; I DID it!

Only bad drivers spin wheels and as for wasting money putting Webbers on a heap of #### you would need your head tested or be a member of the Barry Boys. :jester: . 

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Mal take care - I had a look at one yesterday and it is a delectable little thing which would be irresistible to those with an interest in that part of the world )shown me as a matter of interest as the shop knew I wouldn't be buying one anyway, notwithstanding my acquisition of an even more delectable 'brown' engine.

Today there will be some food shopping but it has been narrowed down to veg only as there are plenty of meat stuffs in stock for today and the coming weekend which means we need go no further than Tesco 'down the road'.  So far no more increasingly desperate signs of trying to sell flats in McCarthy & Stones' local version of Changi Camp have appeared since Christmas Day although they are now advertising for staff - the ones they have might have left due to boredom.  I'm waiting their next sales push to see if they can better their 'try before you buy' poster which appeared about a month back - I'm still trying to work out quite how you 'try' an unfurnished flat before you buy it?

I shall now go and see what uproar I have caused on a thread in toyHornbyland where i yesterday mentioned placing a pre-order for items to be announced the week after next - RMweb can occasionally provide some good entertainment ...  :jester:  :jester:

Have a good day one and all

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Only bad drivers spin wheels and as for wasting money putting Webbers on a heap of #### you would need your head tested or be a member of the Barry Boys. :jester: .

I had a Cortina with over 100000 miles recorded. The Ford VV carb and auto choke needed replacing. The Weber conversion kit was cheaper.
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Ey UP!

Shopping ..done

Parcels made up and posted..

RANT MODE ON

We have just encountered a bicycle riding doilum. Despite there being cycle lanes on the road next to the pavement he was riding down I asked why he wasn't using them..response .."calm down" ignorant think!

RANT MODE STILL ON...

I received a parking fine from ParkingEye Ltd of Chorley..

It had a photograph of a Citroen car which had a number different to my car.

I appealed...no response.. I wrote to them again..no response...

Another reminder appeared today.

Have appealed again and sent a registered letter to them threatening legal action. It feels like scam but they are a legitimate company..just totally incompetent.

May be time to send a suitably worded solicitors letter me thinks

RANT MODE off.

Have as good a day as you can

Baz

Have appealed again and sent a registered letter to them threatening legal action. It feels like scam but they are a legitimate company..just totally incompetent.

Baz

That would be Ivan, then .....

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

Whilst aware that Ivan hasn't been around I'm not aware of the reason - must have missed that whilst keeping busy at work. 

Garage tidied and peg boards put up - tools put on pegboard. Still enough tools left over to fill a cupboard. Doh! 

Seems the current layout will have to go to accommodate the next version. Onwards and upwards. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a still dark San Diego.

Just had an alert form our CCTV at home - parcel delivered and left outside. Looking at the size of the box I believe its a replacement Heljan L & B loco 'Taw'. Luckily Mum is picking it up for us as don't fancy it being left out in the rain between now and when we get back.

Talking of bikes, over here electric bikes and scooters for hire are parked or dumped everywhere and not just one company. They look like they are becoming a nuisance although I have been tempted to hire one my other half wont. All done through an app and in some cases via Uber or Lyft taxi apps. It was hard waling along the sea front yesterday afternoon at Pacific Beach with so many people on these scooters and did see a collision. The photo below shows a pile of them near the pier.

post-1557-0-60165000-1546006792_thumb.jpg

And a walk onto the pier to watch surfers. This pier has small houses and you can even park outside them but further out into the water the pier does feel unsteady as it does wobble in the waves.

post-1557-0-05973700-1546006919_thumb.jpg

After that stroll it was time for refreshments in the nearby brewery before bus back to downtown and food in a long established Karl Strauss brewery - always worth a visit for good beer and very good food.

The model store in La Mesa is up for sale sadly but he's hoping to sell both the property and business as one going concern. Picked up some Athearn spares, a set of 100 ton trucks with wired pick ups so I can now add the sound car decoders to a couple of Tropicana refrigerated cars. Also two more sound decoders for locos currently on the workbench.

This morning we depart San Diego for Ventura in the hope that we can do the very short Metrolink branch to Ventura East station. It has three services in the morning peak to LA and three return in the evening peak. So its a bus from there back to downtown Ventura 5 miles away via a cask ale house.

Meanwhile form our hotel room plenty of Amtrak, Coaster and light rail services can be seen although this photo was taken when it was daylight yesterday morning.

post-1557-0-30475300-1546007432_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

There are other threads on here? 

How long has that been a thing???

I think we are allowed to self-police.

Yes there are other threads and, on the "red" thread, one of our number has been swinging a lever in a clockwise direction to create alarm and despondency.

Bill

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

...Yes there are other threads and, on the "red" thread, one of our number has been swinging a lever in a clockwise direction to create alarm and despondency.Bill

I did have a quick look at that thread and was mildly amused at the person who thought perhaps Mike Stationmaster needed to get out more and look at the modern railway.
  • Like 5

Baz

That would be Ivan, then .....

Bill

I wish you luck with "Parking Eye" of Chorley - They aren't (officially) scammers - but ARE a total pain in the butt to get any sense out of - It may result in you having to go to court to sort them out - but you may well have a claim against them for loss of earnings, etc - and good luck with trying to get them to pay you that!