The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

After this morning’s phone calls etc, the rest of the day has been very quiet. One of the gifts I received was a book on Bletchley Park, which contains some of the tests that recruits had to do. So far I’ve got 3/4 of the way through the crossword from the Daily Telegraph from June 1942!

On the subject of getting up early, when I was about 9, we were told by our father that we couldn’t open our presents until after breakfast. So my brother and I got up at 3.00, had our breakfast then opened our presents. Although he was cross when he got up, we didn’t get told off, because we’d done exactly as we’d been told! The following year we were told not to eat our breakfast before 8:00!

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner Temple here,

5.5 hours sleep waking with backache, so immediately taking some pink pills meant a further 2hours was had.

Today being Boxing Day is sailing day,

The forecast of 5 to 8 mph winds is very light, high air pressure should mean low water levels, and low tide is 09:30. With the start being 11:00 peak tide flowing in will at the end of the first race. Overall its a 50 - 50 Chance that sailing will take place..

I'm going to laze here on the sofa till about 07:00 then Ben will want his patrol. A small breakfast porridge will be had as it will be bacon rolls at the moorings..

Time to laze...

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Seems that we are going to the S"les this morning - oh frabjoy.

John - thanks for posting the link to your blog again - good to see that some progress appears to be happening over Sandy's eating.

And of course, greetings of the generic variety to everybody else.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up

Live cricket to be watched (annual ;Boxing Day match at North Leeds CC).

The Herbert's are leaving today, Dr Eldest is off to a wedding in Beverley, youngest back to his shared house.

Silence will resume!

Positive thoughts to all who ail.

Anyone fancy a beer???

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but still very dull  here. There may be some bright spells later, then again there may not be.

We had a really great day at Nicki's, lots of food,drink and laughter. Probably too much food but never mind. A cab had been pre-booked to bring me and Chris home at 10.00 and he was bang on time and very cheerful with it.

Today there will be more of the same but here as they are all coming to us and staying the night along with son Steve who was elsewhere yesterday.

Oh and yes Baz, I do but will probably wait until after breakfast!  :whistle:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18

I would like to think that the agonisingly slow but steady improvements in Sandy continues. The only way I can measure it is by the decreasing frequency of cleaning out the sick bowl. Not nice, but that's how it is.

Avoiding the Square today in town - the hunt (other rhyming spellings are available) is due to meet.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. John, good to hear that Sandy is improving, however slowly. No sign of the hackers/electronic blackmailers but I ran my computer security as a precaution, nothing was found of any significance but I was able to chuck out a few old files. Need to venture out today to the shops but only for the papers, weather looks dry if a bit grey. Thats it for now, muggatee awaits, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Some nice news about sandy which is good to hear - let's hope things stay on a positive course.

I shall no doubt venture down to Tesco for a 'paper but little or nothing else as the cupboard is far from bare.  I did get round to a bit of trifle yesterday evening which went down well as the Midwives were being called and there are plenty of leftovers there for today, and tomorrow, and ...

Have a good day everybody.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Phil, that's a common one. Usually allege viewing extremely dodgy material....do clever things to make it look like its from your own e mail - it isn't.  They usually have a password from something else, an on line account/website somewhere that has been hacked.

Off for lunch with John & Anne today, traditional now, a smorgasbord of sorts.

A walk would be nice as the outside world looks decent, but my foot has decided to be very painful so tat is not an option.  No idea why, but it is really having a go.  Feels as if it is related to where the broken screw is that they said wouldn't bother me…..#sigh#

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and a diary note for Mike, GDB, 81C and any others interested. 

Hopefully I didn't just cut and paste my bank details into that url.

And you all looked.  :no:

Didn't you.  :yes:

No plans for today - tbh Boxing Day is my favourite of the holiday season as its a more chilled out day than Christmas Day. Driving duties in the evening, and my habit of falling asleep if any alcohol touches my lips in daylight hours - this means that my liver gets a day off on the 25th. 

So far today I've assembled an Airfix/Lego Hawk aircraft (5+ kit) with only a few bits left over. Is this what they mean by lean manufacturing?  :sarcastichand:

Later today got to get ready for the jolly-boys fishing trip tomorrow. Father Christmas brought me a set of polarising sunglasses. These should, in theory, allow me to see where the fish are. This will reduce the number of degrees of freedom involved in the sport.from  "X,Y, Z & Ineptitude" to "Z + ineptitude", with the latter dominating the event.

The most likely thing I'll catch is 1) cold & 2) the hedge behind me. 

Meanwhile a garage pegboard was unwrapped yesterday. My contention is that this will allow the amount of tools - currently stored in a chest of draws to be reduced, the chest of drawers thrown out, creating enough space in the garage to build a layout. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

No walk planned for today other than to and from the car.

We did watch some television yesterday. Jungle Book and the second half of the reindeer migration we had recorded on Christmas Eve.

Then a film we had purchased earlier in the year and never got round to watching, “Solo”, which is part of the Star Wars universe.

We are off to Enfield soon. Hopefully we won’t sit for long in Boxing Day sales traffic. As a child my brother and I were dragged around the sales in Birmingham. Mum loved a bargain but everything in those days seemed to be “special purchase” and deemed to be rubbish by Mum.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

We had a bit of a lie-in this morning, we must have needed the rest! Not a lot planned for the day, dry shortly Mike and Sarah will be dropping by to exchange gifts, this will be followed by a light dinner. After that, there is nothing planned, so I’ll probably take another look at that Bletchley Park book.

Back later

• Like 14

Just back in from the morning walk. It took a lot longer than usual due to meeting loads of people while we were out and also coming across the annual Boxing Day Tractor Rally in St Bees. There were around 40 to 50 tractors in. The beach car park, ranging from about 60+ years old to brand new. Quite an interesting site when they set off for the round trip, but I sure would not want to have been stuck behind them in a car!

This afternoons activities may include continuing the pressure washing of our concrete drive, as it has a tendency to get very slippery and pressure washing is the only way I have found to clean off the slippery stuff.

• Like 16

Morning all

A busy Christmas here, too, with lunch at 2.30pm, a wee bit of unwrapping, then daughter whizzing into work for Chinese carry-out. So present unwrapping halted until she reappeared at 9pm, by which time we were all a bit tired.

Rachel is now nearly 20 weeks and they announced that bump is of the female variety and will be called Emily, cue Pink Floyd and many hugs and watery eyes.

Congratulations, Jamie (and the parents), a good job it's not a boy and named Arnold (with a strange hobby!)

Glad to hear that Sandy is keeping food down, John. It's tough.

Bin men been this morning... I know,,, now time for a short walk

Mal

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good morning again. Still dark here but we can still just about see the Surfliners and Coasters passing over the grade crossing despite a new high rise block of condo's going up between our hotel and the tracks.

Today we are heading to Balboa Park. Theres a food truck festival on but the main reason is to visit the model railroad museum to see the fantastic Tehachapi layout. One of our friends hasnt seen it and we are happy to see it again. Unfortunately he wont be able to invite it to the Furness show!

After that we may visit Reeds Hobby shop at La Mesa as its not a holiday here. Another friend isn't into model railways so he may well go to a rather nice cigar shop - for the good range of craft brews and we will meet him there later.

Have a good day all.

post-1557-0-67335500-1545834317_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 15