The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I was flicking through our local Sunday paper today. Apart from the sports pages and classifieds, it's about 25% news and 75% adverts. On the way through, an obituary caught my eye. It's common here to list survivors - partner, chidren, perhaps parents and siblings. This gentleman had died at the age of 101. One of his survivors was his older sister (104)!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Can't say I would use Just Eat after reading this....

Cheers,

Mick

Zero-rating always used to mean instant closure and no reopening until re-inspected to the EHO's satisfaction.  Rating 1 could remain open but only if immediate improvements were made and a re-inspection satisfied within (IIRC) 14 days.  

I don't doubt there is pressure at the lower end of the scale to have cheaply-run businesses tied up with delivery services and notionally hiding behind them in terms of hygiene ratings.  The same would be true of any delivery service.

The places we use are those we have already sounded out either on a personal visit or having established their food hygiene rating by some other means.  It is sometimes included in customer reviews, sometimes on a website and often found without too much trying somewhere online.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Like yesterday, I’ve spent most of the day in the workshop. Also like yesterday more work has been done on the G16. Today I made a bracket for the front bogie. I made it from a piece of 1mm plasticard, as this is non conducive and so wouldn’t cause any problems with short circuits etc. However, the bracket needed a couple of bends in it which were very close together. So, I made it longer than it needed to be, heated it up with my hot air gun and then bent it to shape. Once it had cooled down it kept its new shape with no stress put on the material. I was able to fit the bogie to the bracket, then the whole asseyto the chassis and give it a run on my test plank. It negotiated 1st radius curves and Hornby points with ease. My layout won’t have curves this tight, but I work on the assumption that if the chassis will negotiate these, it will work on more generous curves. So, I’m now at the stage where I can give the new chassis additions a coat of paint and then make a start on adding missing details to the body, I shall carry on tomorrow.

Goodnight all

• Like 19

I genuinely don't think the police have enough time/resources to deal with small-scale fraud anymore, more's the pity.

There will be a trail; the purchase could have been made from an internet cafe, or, more likely, from a stolen phone. Smart phones give locations, unlike my coal-fired Nokia 6610i except by triangulation when I make a call. But is it worthwhile for cash-strapped police to search for this?

It would be good to think that internet transactions check the cardholder's address with the one on file. If I purchase something for someone else online at, say, Amazon, they always ask for my address.

Wouldn't have thought that model rail purchases would make much money for a fraudster.

Really feel for the small trader like Andyram in these circumstances; shouldn't have to pick up the pieces after cleared funds have had their status reversed, it's the bank's fault for authorising the payment.

Mal

Thanks Mal. 

As regards the trail - there may be one. When the miscreant (s) (I have removed the term gentleman) visit the website, their general location is picked up and shown on my phone app. The first order involved a delivery address that matched the location. The parcel was signed for by a person matching the name on the order. 

My website app subsequently logs the name of a person who has ordered and so I can see when this person appears on the site. The i.d has been used for four more orders, although on the most recent occasion the purchaser name and address changed. I can surmise that the same computer is possibly being used. The address of the second purchaser was for a different city which is when I first started to smell a rat. He has ordered before but I was not near my phone when the order was completed.

It is only through using the payment dashboard, something that I was not aware existed until the fraud claim was made and got linked to it, that I can see the number of failed payments. Needless to say I  am now checking every website order on this list to ensure that payment was completed straight away.

The payment company have now been in touch and we should be having a discussion in the next two days. I may know more about what will happen after this conversation.

Onto other things - my thoughts with Rik after his dreadful experience. That must be the worst customer service ever.

Best wishes

Andy

Talk about deja vu.

I unearthed this ancient Dublo 4MT tank. Originally it was 3-rail but when I bought it many moons ago (in Largs) it had been converted to 2-rail. Here it is alongside a much later Bachmann interpretation of the same thing.

post-25691-0-83081900-1545023934_thumb.jpg

When I removed the body I was amazed to find that someone had replaced the motor with a Sagami and even added a flywheel.

post-25691-0-95389800-1545023947_thumb.jpg

After a minute or two I remembered that I had done it myself :)

• Like 17

Good morning one and all

What a dismal day it was yesterday.  I braved the elements to buy some milk as I had miscalculated how far what was left would stretch.   My sirloin steak was delicious, accompanied as it was by peas, green beans and oven chips, and I finally finished the latest caption.  To round off the day I had a brief unheralded weepy spell, so I suppose it’s a good job that I have counselling today.  A decent night’s sleep ahead of that would have been nice.

In case you had not realised, I am firmly of the humbug persuasion and even have a sweater proclaiming “Bah Humbug” to all that would see.  The Swiss way of Christmas is nowhere near as OTT as ours and I do rather like it.  Some of my fellow traveller may well be expecting more of a typical British festive season in Interlaken.  One, I recall, moaned like anything when turkey was not served on Christmas Eve, when the big meal is eaten in Switzerland.  Imagine his face, and our laughter, when turkey was served the following night.

Warm and seasonal thoughts to all in distress or missing

Chris   

• RMweb Gold

Morning - Like Chris, whilst I enjoy the lead up to xmas I do not enjoy the actual day much after lunchtime along with Boxing day as many pubs are shut, no trains runnnig etc. so difficult to do much. One reason why we like being abroad and other firends have called the trip 'xmas avoider'.

Yesterday afternoon was spent running in my two new locos, Heljan ex L & B Manning and Wardles. However the qaulity is not there IMHO and this is their second attempt. One had the nameplate loose in the box and linkage jamming the valve gear but careful tweaking it is now Ok and the other one is generally poorly assembled and now has a missing linkage pin with a good part of the evening  spent on the conservatory floor trying to find it but no luck so far. If its in the throw on the seating then I doubt it will be found.

So another morning searching for it but there are so many large cactus in there with pots that are now way too small for them so they topple easily, it can be painful - my other half collects these and wanted another large one yesterday but luckily she didnt buy it as theres no more room for them.

So the plan to set up my old 009 layout may now have to wait till tomorrow. Time to draw up the track plan options for  a possible layout commission.

Oh and her train this morning has just been cancelled yet again

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

A two piece sleep last night of about 5 hours, mostly because my brain wouldn't shut up. I'm glad to report I felt a lot better this morning, no headaches!!

There obviously had been heavy rain again last night, as it was all soggy for Ben the Border Collie's patrol, though warmer than yesterday.  Because of the heavy cloud cover it was very dark and he refused to leave the area lit by the house lights. He did however want to play.. Jumping around like mad he was..

Several of the takeaways in my nearest town do deliver, but return journeys of about 10 miles for the nearest one mean they either won't deliver to us or charge a substantial amount.

I'm glad to announce that my Sailing clubs kitchens have a 5 star rating, which is good considering it's manned by volunteers.. We don't do deliveries though, but we do have a chip shop come to us during Regatta week, a mobile chip shop in a small lorry.

Some how the outside section thought I was off all this week, which is strange because one of the major systems was labelled for me to take this morning and they had left it clear..

Heaving that system in reminded me my back hurts, more to do with Washing machine moving Saturday, rather than sailing yesterday.

Which brings me to the machine, further thought and studying indicates the lack of spin is due to the lack of drainage. So I need to drain the machine, so I can check the filter is clear, that should allow the machine to spin. There are two pressure sensors, and a sensor to check the pump is working,  I now think one of them is causing the problem.

As to that major system, all the initial zeroing has taken place and I'm about to take the second measurement..

Time too... do some work..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Well, yesterday not long after I locked up the workshop and came back inside, it started to rain. This continued until after we’d gone to bed, but thankfully it has now stopped and the sun is making an attempt to shine. Once Sheila has left for her Zumba class I’ll once again head to the workshop to continue work on the G16. My first task will be to put some paint on the chassis extensions and modifications. I’ll then look at adding some body details.

Back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning everyone

Well, yesterday not long after I locked up the workshop and came back inside, it started to rain. This continued until after we’d gone to bed, but thankfully it has now stopped and the sun is making an attempt to shine. Once Sheila has left for her Zumba class I’ll once again head to the workshop to continue work on the G16. My first task will be to put some paint on the chassis extensions and modifications. I’ll then look at adding some body details.

Back later.

I thought that I was going to build a E4 whitemetal kit that was our late friends till I emptied the box. Alan Gibosn wheels chassis hornblocks and the alternative msokbox bag of bits but no loco or chassis, so dont know what happened to the rest of it as didnt see any half built locos when we helped to clear the remaining items from his house a few years ago.

I do fancy building a loco kit so I may well start the Backwwods kit that I have had for many years  rather than buy any more Heljan ones

• Like 17

Many moons ago we had a discussion on here about scaffolding and if they leave it erected at places as a storage facility. I have just looked back in the forum,it was the end of May.

My neighbour whose roof conversion was practically completed THEN is just having the scaffolding removed today.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I was talking about low tides,, err what happened to high tide (this was down river of us)

post-15969-0-40800900-1545040535_thumb.jpg

and this was up river of us..

post-15969-0-09668600-1545040635.jpg

The monitoring stations are of course mounted on the river / broads banks, so the 0.0M depth is by the bank not in the middle of the river..

I've a feeling if our bit of the river hadn't been dredged last year we'd have been aground in the main river..

post-15969-0-71698200-1545041701_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Dry and sunny this morning and not too cold either. Went into town yesterday to get a few bits, first off I found a parking space almost straight away then I popped into WH Smiffs to see if Backtrack was in. Not only was it in but so was another magazine that I take that is only stocked by Smiffs, saving me another journey into town. All other magazines that I take can usually be found in supermarkets or the smaller newsagents. The other magazine 'Vintage Roadscene' has an item on model lorries as well. Muggatee drunk so its be back later time.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Many moons ago we had a discussion on here about scaffolding and if they leave it erected at places as a storage facility. I have just looked back in the forum,it was the end of May.

My neighbour whose roof conversion was practically completed THEN is just having the scaffolding removed today.

Perhaps they were leaving it up to put the Christmas decorations up? :jester:

I was talking about low tides,, err what happened to high tide (this was down river of us)

attachicon.gifThurne.JPG

and this was up river of us..

attachicon.gifWroxham.JPG

I've a feeling if our bit of the river hadn't been dredged last year we'd have been aground in the main river..

Check that no one's removed the plug.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Car packed, sun shining lunch about to be eaten, shutters part shut. Radiators turned down or off.  We set off in about 45 minutes and meet some friends from the village for an evening meal outside Caen.    

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Posted a couple of days ago on South Australians Police facebook...

My cousin..

post-15969-0-47473100-1545044002.jpg

post-15969-0-46589800-1545044018.jpg

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Nice walk to the post office as its is sunny but quite crisp outside. Parcel posted..but flippin eck..there were some people in there who should not really be out on their own. "what do you mean this card won't reach Oz/New Zealand/ <add country of choice>  by Christmas..that isn't until next week,,,,,,,

Interesting discussion with our erstwhile Vicar about the lack of Christmas celebrations in Israel..he said the immortal words "it is a matter of much discussion in religious circles"... ooh err! steer clear of that one!

Baz

• Like 13