The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

I'm reclining on the sofa, with Ben the Border Collie keeping me warm.

It's distinctly chilly out there but no frost.

The yacon digging went well, all soil put into the next raised bed along, covering a pile of horse exhaust.

I need to get maybe 6 bags more of horse exhaust, to fill the empty one ( along with some soil and sand) , plus some for the rubarb.

I was pleased to find the carriage paint had mellow yellowed as the paint dried, it's now the colour slightly yellow, olive green I want.

After the yacon, some handle reinforcement was done ( to the carriage), I had just completed that when SWMBO appeared with a coffee...

Shortly afterwards white stuff fell heavily from the sky, hail and lots of it.

After that a 3rd coat of paint was put on the carriage, unfortunately Ben joined in, he now has a green waggy tail. Tomorrow I have to finish the handles, and remove fur from a section of the carriage, before repainting.

I intend to take carriage 1 to the MRC next week to attach layout board 1.

Then the base was was completed for carriage 2, side and end panels trimmed to size but not attached .

It's supposed to be wet and windy tomorrow, so I hope to continue carriage building.

SWMBO is preparing a sweet and sour which will include some yacon.

Tonight it's MRC time, I need to complete the Mr Beechings work on board 1, so the board can be disconnected from board 2 and attached to the carriage.

Bye for now...

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Enjoy your night Rick!

As for here in the North West Leeds Highlands a trip to get chish, fips and peas is in order..to be eaten with a mugatea and a couple of large pickled onions...followed later by a beer (or too!)

baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

The house is very tidy. It was fine anyway but Aditi suggested it needed a bit more dusting polishing and vacuuming. Our neighbours are coming round for a meal tonight. They were heading off to Wales but their car has been in the Land Rover dealer workshop for a week now. The hire car went back today. They don’t appear to have their car. I am sure all will be revealed this evening.

The house smells quite nice if you like North Indian cooking.

It is quite cold out. I know this as I had to go down to Benfleet to get Yoghurt to accompany the main course. One of the many things we forgot yesterday.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Pies were duly procured from the butcher in Pangbourne whose shop is even better situated for trainspotting than the branch of Waitrose a few miles east thereof.  There were green trains (lots), one silver(ish) train, and a freight train with a bright red engine, I missed the engine on the other freight train but the wagons had lots of colourful containers on them;  who says our trains are dull?   PS no yellow ones today Mick.

I must say that Baz's dinner sounds rather nice and I'm pleased to learn that chips will be consumed in the correct manner with accompaniment of some pickled onions.  Takes me back to my days in the Boy Scouts when after leaving in the evening it was across the road to the chippy for six of chips and a pickled onion.  We will be having chicken bits with pasta and plenty of sliced peppers but are waiting for laddo who 'phoned about 10 minutes ago to announce that he had just left LHR and is heading for home by taxi (the firm will apparently pick up the tab for the taxi - hope he gets a receipt as the bill is 50 quid from LHR to here).

Ha, Ha and again Ha!  Watch this space as today I went to the timber merchant and bought some....er....timber.

Did it come with a flashing blue light?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. They came to collect the logs from the demolished scots pine just before lunch, I didn't see them but they could be heard throwing them into the back of a truck. Might be visiting Battlesbridge to have a look in the model shop in the old mill, last time I went they were closed for holidays. Not much else to report, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Mick - Those were the days when tuppence (old money of the 240 to the pound time) would get you a big bag of chips!  

Just remembered in our first class at school (age 5 and none of those phonetics)  there was a poster (as we would now call it) on the wall with 960 Farthings; 480 'heypenies'; 240 pennies to the pound (known as denarius hence the D on them).  The shillings (Bob-a-Job) 2 shillings half-a-crown 10 shilling and pound notes came in a later class.  Thanks for the memory. 

• Like 15

Mick - Those were the days when tuppence (old money of the 240 to the pound time) would get you a big bag of chips!  

Just remembered in our first class at school (age 5 and none of those phonetics)  there was a poster (as we would now call it) on the wall with 960 Farthings; 480 'heypenies'; 240 pennies to the pound (known as denarius hence the D on them).  The shillings (Bob-a-Job) 2 shillings half-a-crown 10 shilling and pound notes came in a later class.  Thanks for the memory. 

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/historic-british-coinage/

• Like 9

Takes me back to my days in the Boy Scouts when after leaving in the evening it was across the road to the chippy for six of chips and a pickled onion.

Those were the days when tuppence (old money of the 240 to the pound time) would get you a big bag of chips!

For a few years after I started buying chips for myself, a poke of chips cost thruppence for most of the year. However, when the new potatotes came in, the price went up to fourpence. Once the regular potato crop arrived, the price went back down to thruppence.

Just remembered in our first class at school (age 5 and none of those phonetics)  there was a poster (as we would now call it) on the wall with 960 Farthings; 480 'heypenies'; 240 pennies to the pound (known as denarius hence the D on them).

I remember spending a farthing (no, nothing to do with that!). The local sweetshop sold individual caramels at four for a penny and, after the withdrawal of the farthing had been announced, I bought a single caramel there, probably just to be able to say I had!

Talking of old coins, my grandmother had a small collection of withdrawn coins, including a few sovereigns, half-sovereigns and a groat - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groat_(coin).

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Peter, where did you learn about the tanner (6d) and the threpenny bit (3d) that was very similar to the modern £1 coin and probably bought about the same amount of sweets.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

I ended up going to the Trafford Centre on my own this morning, as Sheila has hurt her foot, so didn’t fancy walking round too far. Yay! I got there just as the doors were opening, went only where I needed to go and was back just after 11:00 and the butchers had also been visited in that time too! The weekly meat rations were picked up along with a pastie for my dinner.

As it turned out, it was a good job I went on my own as my delivery from Peters Spares arrived and Sheila was able to take it in for me. So it’s looking like I’ll be in the workshop for most of tomorrow.

Charlie came roun early in the afternoon and we went through the website of my former employer looking for an apprenticeship, but unfortunately there weren’t any in the northwest, but what became evident was that most jobs required a full driving licence, so he’s going to look into booking some in the not to distant future, as he already has his provisional license.

I dropped Sheila off at her annual Zumba class Christmas dinner, so I’ve had an evening on my own, mostly spent doing some research uninterrupted. I’m just waiting for a phone call to say come and pick me up please.

Goodnight all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Last weekend a large crack appeared in a sewer cover alongside my drive. Probably caused by repeated driving over it. The cover crosses the boundary to next door (They are good neighbours).

post-408-0-24225600-1544826162_thumb.jpg

I report it online to United Utilites Monday evening.

A call from them on Tuesday morning asking for a few more details as to it's exact location. In the meantime, I've borrowed a traffic cone from wife's work to mark it.

I return from work Wednesday night to find a proper bright yellow emergency cover in place.

A call this morning to tell me that it's scheduled for replacement.

Hopefully I won't have the same debacle as Simon G did with UU.

Cheers,

MIck

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Last weekend a large crack appeared in a sewer cover alongside my drive. Probably caused by repeated driving over it. The cover crosses the boundary to next door (They are good neighbours).

I report it online to United Utilites Monday evening.

A call from them on Tuesday morning asking for a few more details as to it's exact location. In the meantime, I've borrowed a traffic cone from wife's work to mark it.

I return from work Wednesday night to find a proper bright yellow emergency cover in place.

A call this morning to tell me that it's scheduled for replacement.

Hopefully I won't have the same debacle as Simon G did with UU.

Cheers,

MIck

Is this another one? :jester:

Evening all. I hope today finds you well. Thank you for the kind comments regarding the fraud issue. As yet there has been no movement from the payment company. This afternoon saw the "gentleman" appear on my website and duly complete a further £500+ order which was completed, paid for and was cited for delivery to the other person involved. Naturally I have immediately contacted the payment company and the bank. I certainly will not be dispatching this order any time soon!

Best wishes

Andy

Edited by andyram