The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Very sorry I missed your birthday Robert. I hope it was a happy one :D

How did you kmow Bod?

Winter is not being kind to Sam. Her tan has faded to a very pale shade since last I saw her.

Can you find a spot for her to occupy in your Sunroom Dd, without your getting to ditracred from all that sorting out you are busy with.

Happy weekend. :D

.....and another belated birthday wish from me, Robert. :)

I hope you had a great day.

Been out to the sheds, but it seems young Sam must have escaped whilst I was away. Anything to do with you guys?

That picture brings back fond memories.......of days gone by when all components were functioning properly....;)

Have a great day in my birth town BoD. Just wish I could join you....

Morning All,

Thanks for the Birthday wishes :)

It was a fairly quiet day, and I went to work - but a nice day nevertheless.

The sun is out here this morning, which makes a very pleasant change. It is still on the chilly side, but the sun makes it seem warmer.

Have a good day everyone...

Belated Many Happy Returns! Robert.

Typical weird day of weather yesterday here in Gotham. Started with rain on top of the snow pack - as the morning and the rain continued the temperature rose to an exotic 53f! Once the rain stopped the wind started (caused by advection) culminating in some places getting 60mph gusts and damage in some local NJ towns like Lakewood.

My neighbour across the street has a tree that really howls in the wind - I have no idea why! I'm assuming that some trees are just noisier than others. Wind died off completely by midnight. Back to being somewhat cold again now.

I'm actually off to a Model Railway Show today (which seem to be fairly rare over here). I'm hoping to pick up some track components and details.

Best, Pete.

Shouldn't you be in bed young Pete? 03.17 in Gotham?......I don't know how you do it.

Been catching up with your snowy tales. They took me back to my first trip to the US for training by my US employer. We were on the outskirts of Chicago and that year they had record snow fall over the New Year's celebration. Working back in my head in would have been 75/76.....

I was just staggered to see the snow blowers had just been down suburban streets in Chicago and just blasted the snow over the parked cars either side. Seems your car would have been buried for days/weeks if you couldn't have got it off the road.

Hopefully we're leaving winter behind and the first signs of Spring will be just around the corner....

Enjoy your show...

I was just staggered to see the snow blowers had just been down suburban streets in Chicago and just blasted the snow over the parked cars either side. Seems your car would have been buried for days/weeks if you couldn't have got it off the road.

This is what you need.

Only in America... (or Canada in this case)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81y9XSQ9Ru0

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, yesterday's optimism turned to heavy rain overnight. We took DD2 out for her first outing since her operation yesterday I am not convinced she will be fit for school on Monday. I have been finishing off cupboard doors in the kitchen it took less effort to fit 8 doors than it did to rectify one door the builder had put on badly.

Sorry Robert I forgot again belated Happy Birthday I hope you have a better year this year.

Edited by skipepsi

Morning all, late start for me. I always end up jetlagged visiting my folks in Durham as Dad doesn't tend to go to bed until 2am or later, while I'm normally in bed by midnight at home!

I'll be setting off for Glasgow about 9 tomorrow morning, hope BoD has a good day up there today!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I'm not planning too much today. I expect that Robbie will be getting less subtle with the hints that he wants to go out as the morning progresses.

I'll have to check when the next exhibitions near here are, probably Alexandra Palace and Leytonstone.

Tony

1. I tend to sleep in 2 hour chunks. Being aware of my mortality I don't waste my time by sleeping too much.

2. I like being up when everyone else is sleeping, I get a lot done.

3. Snowblowers have to blow the snow somewhere. In my town you are supposed to clear your car off the street if we are expecting a heavy fall. Obviously difficult in Chicago and Manhattan.

My snowblower has three forward gears plus reverse and electric start! Once you have literally used your back to shift nearly 3 foot of snow (times 100 x 12 feet in area) by hand then you realize what a godsend blowers are; besides they are cool!

Of course the snow has to go somewhere so it's on the lawn in large berms which is why the snowpack lasts so long + we have now had 6 foot of snow thus far this season.

4. That guy in Canada has no snow...............................

Best, Pete.

My snowblower has three forward gears plus reverse and electric start! Once you have literally used your back to shift nearly 3 foot of snow (times 100 x 12 feet in area) by hand then you realize what a godsend blowers are; besides they are cool!

I have thought about getting a snowblower myself. Although we don't get that much snow, I guess I am a bit of a petrol head at heart B). We have to clear our pavements and because I live on a corner plot I've got quite a lot of pavement to clear. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Belated birthday wishes Robert.

Dry (so far) but promises to get worse, and the wind is starting to get a bit of speed to it.

I was meant to have a really early riser type start this morning, as the plan was to get up about six, and get to the station to see what was meant to be a double header steam trip - Leander plus a Black 5). The original departure time was to be about 09.30 but it was put back to 07.12 - then the operational elements changed and the Black 5 was to join at Manchester Vic. It really didn't matter, as I was so tired last night that I forgot to set the alarm, and I slept through and when I opened my eyes, the clock showed 07.12! Mrs 45156 then asked if I was about to get up to go and see the train, and if so would I make a cup of tea for us both. I bit my tongue a bit there. When this tour was announced, I had half decided to travel on it, but it was fully booked, then the revised times, itinerary, and operational changes were announced, and suddenly seats were available again. But with a departure at 07.12, having to kill time in Buxton when I still have a pronounced limp (and currently don't drink so a couple of hours in the pub was also not an option) then a booked arrival back here at 20.40 meant that this rapidly became a "I'll just watch it go" option, and even that fell by the wayside today.

Lots to do here, as soon as Mrs 45156 gets back from walking the dog - normally my job, and will hopefully become so again very soon.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I'm just back from walking the dog. It was deserted in the park, probably due the wind and rain but once I'd sorted out the right combination of layers of clothing it was quite pleasant. Robbie doesn't seem to care about what the weather is doing. I may even try and make him look presentable later when he is drier.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

How was Glasgow show Dave?

Mike, I rather enjoyed it. Quite a lot of new layouts this year.

I was captivated by Wansbeck Road in 2mm finescale.

Rothbury in 4mm was nice as was the big North German HO layout brought by a Dutch group complete with operating peat cutting equipment!

There was also a nice OO ER layout (Thurston) which I enjoyed watching too.

Lots of interesting demonstrations by the ScRSG, Geoff Kent and others.

All in all a good day out and a chance to catch up with several old friends too.

Dave.

I have thought about getting a snowblower myself. Although we don't get that much snow, I guess I am a bit of a petrol head at heart B). We have to clear our pavements and because I live on a corner plot I've got quite a lot of pavement to clear. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :lol:

Get one! Make sure it is dual stage - that is one set of collectors at the front and a separate propellor type thing at the bottom of the chute. Chute diameter is crucial (the wider the better) otherwise it gets blocked up (that guy with the V8s' chute is way to small for that motor).

If you're good hearted (like me!) you'll end up doing all the sick and old neighbours' drives on the block (alternatively charge them for it)...........

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold
If you're good hearted (like me!) you'll end up doing all the sick and old neighbours' drives on the block (alternatively charge them for it)...........

I think you'd have to as it looks like all that thing does is to blow snow from your property to theirs..... :blink:

Nope. You direct it where you want.

Don't forget over here you'll be fined if you don't clear your sidewalk of fallen snow within 6 hours of cessation. A lot of the elderly cannot manage that alone.

Btw before someones says that to clear snow makes you liable for any injuries - this is not loopy Britain - if you clear the sidewalk of snow then you are indemnified, if you don't then not only will you get a fine you may also be sued.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Missed the match but have been following the score on the train. Good result but I'm not going to start counting chickens. Have been disappointed too many times in the past.