The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

you remember the conversation we had the other day about floor tiles..

Well the health and safety manager was in early today (ie about the same time as me).

We had some cracked floor tiles, so he's removed them as a hazard...

The bitumen glue used before does have asbestos in it (which can also be removed by anyone wearing face mask and gloves and disposed of bagged in a bin)..

He of course being health and safety man doesn't do that....

He's poured epoxy resin in and surrounded the hole by cones, one of which has the sign "do NOT step on" " take" two days to set".... 

Just where did he manage to find a epoxy resin that take two days to set?

Meanwhile the floor of the factory isn't flat........

• Like 5

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Its my usual habit to switch on the Breakfast show to get the news and weather especially the local news and weather. Instead this morning all that was showing was a picture of the front door of number 10 and the reporter repeating parrot fashion that TM was facing a leadership challenge.

I'm sick of the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation. . . But the others aren't much better.       

Meanwhile . . . . 

I've just had a call. . . the number said South Tyneside/Gateshead, . . .the young ladies accent said otherwise.  The conversation was as follows:-

SHE. . . . . Hello Sir . . . .I am calling from B T about your Broadband connection.

ME . . . .   .I don't think you are. 

. . . . . . . . 

. . . . . . . . 

she hung up.

Today's weather is Durham coast grey and chilly . . .I've had to put a vest on.

John

• Like 14

IIRC that's what Dudley Moore called Peter Cook's pals. (I tried to dig out a clip but I was not able to find it.)

I was listening to the sketch last week where Dud calls Pete's pals fiends, it's called 'Father & Son', with Dud as the father working down the drains all his life and Pete the foppish son, owning his own kinky boot and paisley tie boutique!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Greetings.

Today has been a sombre one at the House of Fun.  At 08.13 on this date thirty years ago three trains collided just outside the station.  Today, at precisely 08.13, representatives of SWR drivers and ASLEF attended a service at the memorial.  At 11.00 as many station staff as could be released attended their own service there.  One member of our current station staff was on duty that morning and, by a quirk of rostering, again this morning.

Let us never forget those who were lost, injured or suffered in any way, nor all of those who went to their aid.  A good friend was on duty at Emmanuel School as their students were arriving.  She watched the disaster happen just yards away.  She never returned to work - there or anywhere else - suffering from traumatic stress and depression ever since.  Many of the Emmanuel schoolboys were among the helpers and will have witnessed the most traumatic of scenes at a young age while selflessly supporting the emergency services.  

It is also a time to remember the lessons the industry learned and heed them in the light of the side-swipe at Waterloo last year which, as has been reported, had alarming similarities once the causes were found.

The following is Thames News footage and includes distressing scenes.  

In 7 days time it will be 40 years since the Brighton line accident. I narrowly missed the accident as we were running late on the last trip of a double Brighton to Vic. My earlier trip of the day was jam packed solid with passengers on its return from Vic. Fortunately later in the evening passenger numbers had reduced.

Driver Jeffers who died in the crash had swapped "turns" that day.

http://thebrightonbranchofaslef.yolasite.com/sweet-hill-1978.php

Edited by lightengine

HUMP day.

Taking Bob for his friendly visit yesterday went "as planned", and Jemma made it home, though a little later than expected - that about covers anything worth commenting on.

Up early this morning, for some reason I couldn't sleep beyond 6AM, not optimal :O

Looks again like bleak mid-winter here, even though we're not there yet. -5 overcast and foggy.

On with the day.

EDIT (5 minutes after post!): Oh and now we have light snow falling...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Greetings.

Today has been a sombre one at the House of Fun.  At 08.13 on this date thirty years ago three trains collided just outside the station.  Today, at precisely 08.13, representatives of SWR drivers and ASLEF attended a service at the memorial.  At 11.00 as many station staff as could be released attended their own service there.  One member of our current station staff was on duty that morning and, by a quirk of rostering, again this morning.

Let us never forget those who were lost, injured or suffered in any way, nor all of those who went to their aid.  A good friend was on duty at Emmanuel School as their students were arriving.  She watched the disaster happen just yards away.  She never returned to work - there or anywhere else - suffering from traumatic stress and depression ever since.  Many of the Emmanuel schoolboys were among the helpers and will have witnessed the most traumatic of scenes at a young age while selflessly supporting the emergency services.  

It is also a time to remember the lessons the industry learned and heed them in the light of the side-swipe at Waterloo last year which, as has been reported, had alarming similarities once the causes were found.

The following is Thames News footage and includes distressing scenes.  

I still remember that day as I was in bed unwell but had my own TV in my room.

It was also was close to the Purley accident and I was in a friends house right opposite when that happened but never heard or saw any of it happen. We got in the car and drove down the road wondering why so many emergency vehicles were heading towards us and didn't find out till we got back an hour later.

• RMweb Premium

I still remember that day as I was in bed unwell but had my own TV in my room.

It was also was close to the Purley accident and I was in a friends house right opposite when that happened but never heard or saw any of it happen. We got in the car and drove down the road wondering why so many emergency vehicles were heading towards us and didn't find out till we got back an hour later.

Purley remains the only rail accident in which I have lost a friend.  To this day I still get a cold shiver passing that spot when I think how he met his untimely end.

I am also reminded that there was another very nasty accident on the Brighton main line almost 40 years ago when a rear-ender near Hassocks claimed multiple lives including the driver of the second train.

Purley remains the only rail accident in which I have lost a friend.  To this day I still get a cold shiver passing that spot when I think how he met his untimely end.

I am also reminded that there was another very nasty accident on the Brighton main line almost 40 years ago when a rear-ender near Hassocks claimed multiple lives including the driver of the second train.

My mum was one of the passengers in the 1947 South Croydon rail crash which took place in fog.

For some reason she carried on with her journey into London for work; initially she wasn't believed when she said she was late for work because of a train crash.

Mal

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. My dad had a near involvement in a rail accident, more than a year before I was born. This was the Gidea Park accident in 1947 when a through train ran into the back of a train stopped in the station in thick fog. My dad had just got off of the stopping train and was just leaving the station when it happened.

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=438

I was listening to the sketch last week where Dud calls Pete's pals fiends, it's called 'Father & Son', with Dud as the father working down the drains all his life and Pete the foppish son, owning his own kinky boot and paisley tie boutique!

Yes, that's the one. I have it on a round black thing. I think it's called a long playing record.

The best bit is how Moore keeps referring to his wife "God rest her soul" and Cook eventually says "Father, you know perfectly well she ran away with a sailor and she's living in Frimley."

EDIT: I should have said Frinton, and here's the sketch for anyone who is not familiar with it.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon to most ( other similar felicitations to those in a different time zone!)

Feeling marginally better this afternoon so hopefully we might just see this cold tittle off somewhere else soon.

I was in the the MoD(PE) in London on the day of the Clapham Accident. One attendee arrived late - he had missed the train which had the accident and had had to take a different train. Problem was he was always late so no one believed him about the crash until we broke for a late lunch.

Now then John, having to put a vest on..are you sickening for something?? Stay warm and safe!

Chancing it by going to the MRS tonight but I will wrap up very warm ,,,

enjoy the rest of your day everyone

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Never been near a train crash luckily,

However the week after the kegworth aircrash I was parked on the scratches on the motorway in a traffic jam.

And

The week after Lockerby I was parked on the scratches on the motorway /A74 in a traffic jam. (caused by part of the A74/M74 still being coned off)

That's as close as I want to be to any major accident..

Just back from the annual diabetic tests, figures better than before, except I'm more obese, not because I'm heavier, but because I'm slightly shorter...

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, out kitchen is a lot lighter and approx. 2 stears of logs are waiting to be transported to the woodshed in due course.   All went well, no injuries but 2 cracked tiles when a piece of tree went slightly awry.   The weather even behaved and the sun came out. We even chopped the dead plum tree down as well so in due course a Bramley apple tree will be planted in the same area.  

All the talk of train crashes is thought provoking.   I remember the Settle crash where the sleeper collided with a goods train in atrocious weather after some bits fell off the Brit that was hauling the sleeper.  That happened on an embankment across the valley from our house and very close  to our chapel.   We walked into Settle that morning but couldn't see anything for the fog even though it was less than 100 yards away. I only found the details out later.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Never been near a train crash luckily,

However the week after the kegworth aircrash I was parked on the scratches on the motorway in a traffic jam.

And

The week after Lockerby I was parked on the scratches on the motorway /A74 in a traffic jam. (caused by part of the A74/M74 still being coned off)

That's as close as I want to be to any major accident..

Just back from the annual diabetic tests, figures better than before, except I'm more obese, not because I'm heavier, but because I'm slightly shorter...

Not a train crash, but the PATH station I used every day was completely destroyed by a bomb. Just as well I didn't leave work early that day.

• RMweb Premium

Three friends of mine were on a RailRover (remember those!) and were chasing DP2.  They missed it's train by seconds....that was the one that hit the derailed cement 'tankers' and wrote off DP2 and a few passengers IIRC.  Tony always reckoned they would have been killed as they would have been on the first coach vestibule hanging out of the window, wondering what the dust was.

As for me - the Derbyshire I have mentioned previously.  Still gives me the shivers, especially when I see the name of the lad that went in my place.  He had the same surname as the friend Tony mentioned above...spooky coincidence.

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from Estuary-Land.

Reminds me of a saucepan left on the hob to boil dry.

My brother has been known to put photos on the internet of pans that have boiled dry. Usually with an image of how well he has restored it. I don’t think his wife thinks it is quite as amusing as he does.
  • Like 1