The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Chewsday...

Yesterday saw us (the Mrs has the final word on "looks" otherwise I may look more like :jester: than I should!) off shopping in the evening to find a suitable winter coat to replace the one that is currently AWOL.

After trekking through several stores in one of the local large shopping malls - AND being admonished by the Mrs for saying, out loud "why are there a zillion articles of clothing for women in EVERY STORE, but mens clothing seems to be limited to two blqqdy items in the back corner of each store none of which are either decent looking OR sized for anything but  one of the seven dwarfs?!?!?!" :O

Apparently, I should keep such comments to myself instead of expressing them to the shop staff. In one store we couldn't even FIND the Men's department it was so hidden!!  :(

Most of my clothes shopping takes place in breweries - I have enough T - Shirts to last me forever!!

Unfortunately shoes aren't available there so we normally find a Maceys but sods law they tend don't have my size so we often visit a few stores till we find the right size. I need new walking shoes / trainers this trip.

Just made use of the new incinerator bin in the garden - all shredding that had piled up is now ashes and clearance of the new base for the old shed is now underway. I only have bonfires when its cold enough that neighbours don't have hteir windows open and today is one of those chilly but dry days.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

The only thing I know about the Canaries is this -

https://websites.pmc.ucsc.edu/~ward/papers/La_Palma_grl.pdf

Aditi got quite excited seeing for the first time the lava structures she had taught about for years before she became a sociologist. Though I think she liked the Tropical gardens on Madeira more than all the lava. She really liked the observatory tour on Mt Teide. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

We have returned from a family lunch.
Youngest Herbert's driving was sensible and safe. His mazda6 is comfy but the tubby diesel isn't the most speedy engine in the universe.
Pint of grain store cooking bitter (3.6%) was sampled with a very nice venison and ale pie.
Cold is still winning so another early night may occur.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 7

11 days now and still no cure for the Water works. :no:

We have had the initial Dyno Man that submitted a Report to Direct Line.

We have had a man from D/L who did a Video and full repot.

We have had a phone Call from D/L to say they have studied the Video and it will be dealt with shortly but it will also be new Lounge Carpets as well, as the damage has spread and de laminated the carpet in there, where it has taken so long.

We had a phone call yesterday to say that a man would arrive today between 8am and 12 noon to check the Marley Tiles that were under the carpet for Asbestos content, I wonder if he will arrive in full Hazard gear? :no:

So the man arrived and checked the Hall.

On leaving he said;

I may have to come back to check the Lounge. :O

I said; cant you do it NOW, the carpet is up in the corner exposing the tiles?

He said, I will need to ring my Boss!!!!! :no:

He Did, put his meter on the Tile and said, ……………. Thanks, we will be in touch. :no:

And a call from Direct Line has just confirmed that :O ;...……………………………….They hope to have someone out to fix the leak now confirmed as being from the cavity behind the Shower Taps on..………………….WAIT FOR IT.. :scratchhead: .…………………...19th December. :scared:  :scared:

But are still saying that if I want to pay for it, I can get someone out sooner :no: WOT IS INSURANCE FOR??????

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

I know one or two ERs can't stand Chris Evans..but today he played a song for HH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjPm0o04lGE

and has an interesting talk with Professor Sir Chris Evans about various things including what not to do at Christmas

Champagne..good

Red Wine..good

beer...good

White meat ..good

Broccoli...excelent

Steak.. bad

whisky/gin/vodka....bad

good job we have some beer, pork and red wine for Christmas day..... :jester:

Baz

• Like 16

My one handed plumber came today and found a split pipe in the boiler.  Part ordered for Friday so 48 hours without hot water or central heating.  I must bail off the computer to the one room with a gas fire.

I may be gone for some time.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. No haircut today as I just realised that some magazines that I want and are only available at W.H. Smiffs are not on the shelves until Friday and by putting off the haircut it means only one walk stagger crawl into town. My TV aerial developed a fault and I was quoted over £200 for a replacement so I opted for the Virgin cable instead with internet and telephone added on as well. 

Unlike Ian I don’t need a coat formal enough to need “approval” for. As my winter coats are just needed for keeping warm and dry I can take myself off to the outdoor pursuits shop and get what ever last years discounted colour is whenever the coat needs replacing. Not very often now though. . My favourite colour is anything dull.
Tony

Does the outdoor pursuits shop stock gilets? I am on the lookout for some new ones, ones with an inside pocket or two. Most I have seen are devoid of any sort of inside pocket which I prefer for things such as wallets.

• Like 12

Aditi got quite excited seeing for the first time the lava structures she had taught about for years before she became a sociologist. Though I think she liked the Tropical gardens on Madeira more than all the lava. She really liked the observatory tour on Mt Teide.

Simon Day led one of the field trips I organised to Ardnamurchan, on which he did his PhD. 

I do remember a Busby Berkley happening on a deer fence style and someone getting locked in the loo in Kilchoan when the handle came off the door.

Aerial view of Ardnamurchan - the core of one of the volcanoes.

http://www.ardnamurchanstudycentre.co.uk/cratera.jpeg 

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

We use our aerial more now. I think the BBC HD picture looks better on our TV than the same channel from the SKY HD box. I will probably get rid of the Sky box soon. Our aerial is in the loft and points at the Crystal Palace transmitter.

Phil, if Go Outdoors gilets aren’t suitable, Camping and General on Canvey Island might have something.

John. Aditi has seen quite a few old volcanoes but the Canary Islands are “still warm” geology. The biology is interesting too, seeing what colonises the lava.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Little of consequence to report from the past several hours other than that the packages which I was baby-sitting have all been collected.  

Pizza was enjoyed for tea with a bottle of Proper Job; those are not quite a pint in measure so I refrain from describing it as such.  

On tomorrow's agenda is confirming my place at next May's Hayle MRC exhibition and arranging transport for the weathering roadshow there and back.  What should one ask for expenses from a very modest regional club?  Answers by PM welcomed.  I have no intention of seeking the full cost of travel and I already have accommodation if it's just me - a very good friend (not quite that good - minds out of gutters please!) has a vacancy on her sofa.  I cannot make use of my rail staff privileges for train travel because I need to transport the display module; a hired car will be required.

Off to the Sleeping Car very soon hoping to make good some recent deficiencies in eyelid inspection time. 

Night all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Oh-oh, O alert.

An 08, well really a 350 as it's black and early, has arrived.  Bit lush.  Mrs NHN has given approval too - miracles.  She doesn't like 'stupid little trains', but big and or powerful ones are OK.  Nirvana is a Bullied original pacific, but an O gauge one is wayyyy over my pay scale.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Champagne..good

Red Wine..good

beer...good

White meat ..good

Broccoli...excelent

Steak.. bad

whisky/gin/vodka....bad

good job we have some beer, pork and red wine for Christmas day..... :jester:

Baz

Two bad, one good on my preferred list.