The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Who is going to be the first to mention the power of thought to help transcend dental medication.

You, apparently! ;)

The anaesthetic has now worn off (after about 3 hours). I did finally learn which of my teeth are missing today. I'm missing my no. 5 teeth (the back pre-molars, I think), as these were removed when I was fairly young as I had an overcrowded mouth. There's no gap there so I've never known which were missing!

I can still play "Hammer to Fall" - but that's about the only Queen song I can manage all the way through (it is constructed similarly to "Alright Now" but sounds nothing like it).

When I go to the dentist I have no anasthetic up to and including fillings...............I have a high pain threshold in that I have been known to wander around completely unknowing that I have a broken bone somewhere.

Best, Pete.

They say a minimum of five years, preferably seven. That's one document though that I will keep, no matter what. Even 20 years worth is only 20 sheets of paper and it is normally the start point of any tax investigation/query.

Hang onto them BoD...

Done Queen, so now giving my favourite band 10cc a good airing.......

• RMweb Gold

We've only just finished lunch as the bank manager's chat lasted quite a while. I suppose I should be listening to Money, Money Money by ABBA but I'm not sure if that is on my iPod.

I usually listen to music when I'm cooking. I've got one of those speaker/amplifier docking things that an iPod can be plugged into. The kitchen is far enough away from the study so it can't disturb my wife when she is working. I'm sure once upon a time I used to sit down and listen to music but now it is listened to while doing something.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Am busy filing/tidying various papers (I do like to live close to the edge, don't I).

Anyone know how long I need to keep P60 yearly tax certificates for?

Keep them until you get the P45! Seriously though, the college I worked for stopped being LEA controlled and they wouldn't recognise the years of service I'd had with a previous LEA (Essex County Council) as they had "no records". Fortunately I did. My mother in law was one of the people who claimed pension right for part time teaching staff. She like many other people was given the excuse that there were no records of her having worked at a particular establishment. My father in Law had filed every one of her payslips not just P60 statements.

Of course you may not get the P45 for years, the retirement age seems to be going up quicker than the years are at the moment!

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Double glazing man finally arrived about five hours late, and then agreed right away that the unit had failed (impossible to doubt it, as it was full of water) and he will order a new unit, then will travel down from Scotland again to fit it!

Also had to go to Kwik Fit for the tyres, and for the first time EVER there, I didn't get any "advice" about the condition of the brakes, wheel alignement, or shock absorbers - but Kwik was not the operative word, as I had an agreed appointment for 3.00 but they said that they couldn't start until later, and the car would not be ready until after 4.30 and I've just got in from there now.

As to retaining documents, it is as well to keep them for at least seven years, but I retain some more important ones indefinitely in a safe place - my solicitor was most unhappy when I told him once that I had got rid of a letter he sent me six years ago relating to an issue about the house that I then owned.

I'm off now, as there's a lovely smell of dinner wafting this way.

Regards to All

Stewart

Evening All,

Keep the P60s and P45s as long as you possibly can! I know I am an ex-pat which puts me in a slightly different position than most - but I have just had to dig all of mine out of the archive boxes in the cellar. Most of those go right back to the start of my working life. Which I have to admit isn't that long ago, given that I turned 38 today.

Well, that was quite a busy week - so I am looking forward to a relaxing weekend. For the first time in quite a few year I felt like throwing a party this year - So I've got quite a busy day of preparation ahead of me tomorrow. Looks like it is going to be roast goose and all the trimmings.

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday and enjoy the party. I cooked roast goose once. It was the first Christmas in this house. We had only been here a couple of weeks and Aditi's uncle arrived (unexpectedly) from California and announced how he'd really like a traditional English Christmas dinner but not turkey.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

We haven't heard from Matthew for a few days but got an email this evening asking what we thought about the "events in Wisconsin". I did my best to précis what I'd read in the newspaper. His supposedly academic mother replied "is it milking time?" I suppose it is a Geographer's sense of humour. At least we know Matthew is OK. I can't complain about lack of communication. My mother once sent me an SAE in case I hadn't got time to buy a stamp!

Tony

Not confusing it with anyone's recent experiences but "Carry on Nurse" has been on TV every day for about a week.

I think it starts on 4, goes to 4+1, then More 4, then Dave etc.,.

I keep meaning to watch it.

Not having any sort of sense of humour the 'Carry Ons' weren't to my taste.

Guest Max Stafford

You'll notice that, because of certain sensitivities, I refrained from using 'Carry on up the Khyber'.

And he says he's no sense of humour...!

;)

Dave.