The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

' Evening all from red dragon land.

Some heavy rain today.

Hmm. I blame GDB.

Something O Gauge is on its way.

Shunty-planky thoughts now raging out of control, bought a loco that is totally inappropriate timescale-wise for the grouping era stock I have, and do I care?  Nah - Rule 1. I need something to kick start my modelling mojo, I hope this is it! 

That has certainly revived my modelling mojo after CQ went to a new home.  Imagination running riot, although, on the whole, I have managed to link the prospective layout to the prototype - twice, since a certain someone was not keen on the first one...I shall have to be more persuasive this time....  :mosking:  Well, we have moved from a basically Southern atmosphere to a GWR one but still, with a bit of ingenuity, using the same location with a slight change and adaptation of history. And all gone before the Beeching Axe.   :cry: 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Alarm set for 05.15 in order to commence dispatch duties on time.

Final muggertee for the weekend in hand.  Just had to do a complete bed change having discovered a large deposit of feline fur.  Not on the sheets but having gained entry to the cover somehow he had been sleeping on the duvet inside its cover.  I now have a duvet to launder in this weather :(  

Someone mentioned Stollen cake up there ^^^^^ somewhere.  I now need to locate one to satisfy an auto-suggestive desire.  

Meanwhile g'night all.  Sleep well.  Or at least rest peacefully if the eyes won't close.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The windows were cleaned and the new blinds (all 6 of them) are now fitted. That little job didn’t take as long as either one of us expected it to and it all was done before dinner. I had to make adjustments to the hanging loops on each blind, but with the aid of one of my pin vices and a small drill, this became an easy task.

So I ended up spending the afternoon in the workshop, where I rewired and fitted the DCC socket and gave the 8F chassis a run. It was a little hesitant at first, but I ran it up to the buffers and then turned the power up and cleaned the wheel treads with a fibre glass brush. This made a real difference and it’s now running a lot better. I was then able to run it up and down the track several times. All I need now is a complete valve gear and connecting rod set, which were missing when I bought the chassis, I’m just waiting for stock to come at “Peter’s Spares” so I can order a set.

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Roundhouse mentioning removing an item of furniture from his loft reminded me. After I had the new boiler installed in the loft I decided to have a drop down loft ladder installed. This effectively reduced the size of the loft hatch, only by a few inches but if I had put anything up there it might have to stay there. I also had the loft insulation topped up at the same time.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Roundhouse mentioning removing an item of furniture from his loft reminded me. After I had the new boiler installed in the loft I decided to have a drop down loft ladder installed. This effectively reduced the size of the loft hatch, only by a few inches but if I had put anything up there it might have to stay there. I also had the loft insulation topped up at the same time.

That was my fear as the two items of furniture went up there before I installed the loft ladder many years ago. Whislt the furniture came out fine one of the old PC boxes was very tight but it did go through. At least I could have cut the box up before going through the loft hatch had I needed to.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Have to move a hat stand today. As our house was built in 1926 her indoors decided she wanted a period piece to adorn our entrance room. Until now its use as a place for music teaching precluded this. Question is, with the seats down will it fit in my civic? We shall find out soon enough.

Why are there so many more songs about unrequited love?

The guys with requited love are too busy moving furniture.

• RMweb Premium

We went to the Kris Kringle Christkindl Markt on Friday. I seem to have picked up a sore throat. Today I managed not to go outside at all. It can be soothed for a little bit but comes back.

Modelling has been suspended. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start here and it should remain like that with some sunny spells and temperatures around 8oC. I suppose that is positively balmy by Minnesota standards.

Today I will be possibly be doing some paperwork that I should have done over the last couple of days but got sidetracked. Not difficult for that to happen to me.

Also have to take The Boss to Tesco as we didn't go yesterday, apparently they have something that Sainsbury's don't do.  Sidetracked again. Talking of tracks, that is something else that needs attention.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

That was my fear as the two items of furniture went up there before I installed the loft ladder many years ago. Whislt the furniture came out fine one of the old PC boxes was very tight but it did go through. At least I could have cut the box up before going through the loft hatch had I needed to.

I know the problem well Ian.   We had to completely clear a loft that had 38 years worth of carp in it.  One or two items had been up there a long time and for a few of them  I had to unscrew the ladder and draw it back into the loft then pass the things down to one of my sons, then re-install the ladder.   Emptying the loft took 3 days work in total and filled a complete skip plus at least two car loads to the tip.  

Good morning all.   Breakfast has been consumed and loins are being girded for the day ahead.  The first task today will be to ring VirginMedia and try and find out why neither of us can log into our email accounts from our laptops.   For some obscure reason our Android phones still allow access. Then it's time to wield the chainsaw and cut some more logs.  We try to burn a mix of wood and one source is offcuts from the barrel factory that need cutting onto three pieces.  The other sources are home cut stuff from the garden and some bought in logs from a local farmer.   Later I may do some more soldering in the shed.

Robert, you are not alone in having had a rough crossing.  Our friends who came over on Saturday had a very rough crossing to St Malo from Portsmouth.   

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most!

A cloudy morning in the North West Leeds Highlands.

9 hours sleep has helped with getting the cold sorted. (Or was it the toddy?).

Today involves a trip to the post office as I have a lot of parcels to post.

I hope some of our missing ERs return soon. It is nice to see inputs from Mike B, long may they continue!

Positive thoughts to all who ail!

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple here,

After a very good nights sleep, a terrible night, waking at 01:10-ish, then being unable to sleep for several hours, then waking up late and running around like a blue bottomed insect to get ready. Arrived in time for work, but only just..

Driving in I had to be careful as well due to fatchy prost, The landrover was frosted up, the car I'm using today wasn't, there were patches of frost on the minor roads on the way in..

Today is the section Christmas dinner, so I finish work at 12:00 to be at the place for food at 12:30.  I'll have to remind myself on the map how to get there...The problem with me being in Engineering is that they are on 2 to 4 times the pay I am, they tend to choose expensive places for their dinners, I know the dinner this time is 2.5 times the cost of the outer calibration labs dinner. Had I not paid off the mortgage and now being in receipt of my military pension, I could not afford to go.. (I daren't tell SWMBO).

Talking of afford, I'm bidding of something for travelling on metal bits from the bay of Es, at the moment I'm 93p in the lead. the final bid is long after I'm home, but I have no wish to pay much more as it's into almost buy a new one price.

I'm now taking the first second measurement of this weeks system, delayed by excel not giving me the options to copy the result from one spreadsheet to another until I rebooted excel.

Our loft was empty when we bought the house, the remaining fibreglass insulation was not even 2 inches deep, I put in about another foot. I've resisted SWMBO's wishes to dump stuff above our heads. All there is up there is a box or two of Christmas decorations and a couple enormouse plastic Christmas trees. Ex Tesco's for displaying at the front of store.. I had more but they have been given to suitable groups..

Right,

Time too... take the Third measurement...

• RMweb Gold

Jamie

I dread ot htink how we will clear it when we ever decide or need to move but at least we have started to clear it. Its all the empty stock boxes for many differnet scales and countries that fills it plus my other halfs boxes for all her china collection.

Baz - I have managed to avoid having a full on cold so far, probably due ot not commuting as I normally get at least one bad prolonged cold each Autumn. My other half doesnt generally catch them.

Out soon for a short walk to photo the RHTT service as I reckon that it will end in the next few days. Then its off to Mums to assemble furniture before getting back home to continue with the air gun- three US locos require a final matt clear coat along with 34050 now that Hornby have sent me the correct larger tender body for it.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Ta Chris f.

Anyone want a cold? Free! Needs to go as current owner has no need of it.

Apply in person to Baz

Baz

Sorry, but I’ve only just got rid of mine!

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

There has been a bit of a change of plan this morning. So far I’ve got a spiced fruit tea loaf in the oven and once Sheila has left for her Zumba class I’m going to make some celeriac soup which we will have for tea tonight.

I’ve also been trawling through some of my old photos and I’ve also found a few on the t’internet, that I’ll post, once I’ve finished composing the explanation of what is in the photos, although it’s now starting to resemble (in length) war and peace.

Back later.

• Like 17

I’m afraid that the news about my wife is not good. Sandy saw the oncologist on Friday and was told that her cancer had spread and was inoperable, but they’re organising chemotherapy which is the only thing they can do. They warned her it would be unpleasant. We’re trying to find out a start for this, but were told that it would be before Christmas. At the moment she’s not able to eat much at all and her weight loss continues.