The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

After rising earlyish, and before real daylight had arrived (which means nothing at this time of year of course) I did not depart for Peterborough as had  been my thought for today a few weeks back but instead awaited the arrival of my labourer who was in contact last night and was available on a day for which some reasonable wether was forecast,  He arrived, at 08.00, and the weather matched the forecast and virtually no rain descended and what there was of it hardly mattered so bricks were laid and - under supervision - he finished the concreting at the end of the veg patch path.  Short day for him as he was taking some of the children put this afternoon but just as well for me because after a real bash at getting in place some of the retaining wall at one side of the steps - at what is, for me, quite a fast pace of laying bricks - I have since had considerable difficulty in managing to get myself standing upright, so I sat at the 'puter and pottered about the 'net instead and an hour or so sitting at a decent angle means I can now stand up with a straight back - result!!!

Fortunately, notwithstanding its forecast of today's weather, arthur's itis in my worse knee hasn't yet decided to get too much worse than normal so I might even be able to get upstairs tonight without too much trouble.  Mind you I was in trouble for being too busy laying bricks to listen out for the bread maker finishing its task, I was slightly icily informed that 'the bread had been saved but was bit browner than usual' - maybe I should have gone to Peterborough?  

However overall it has been a day of achievement in terms of (bl**dy) hard landscaping in the garden so I'm more than happy with the results of the day so far and will now try to relax and enjoy the rest of it.  And no Tesco visit today but that's no hardship especially as we had the last two of the seriously price reduced 16 roll packs of toilet rolls yesterday (to go with the three packs we bought the day before) which gives a total of £14.75 saved by the reduction  plus a further £3.25 in staff discount making a total of £18 to spend on something else.

Enjoy the rest of the day

• Like 17

In the suicide I had in front of my train at Streatham Common witnesses said he saw the train approach, stood up and ran and dived.

The one I had to attend on Teignmouth sea wall, the coroner said that she had confused the HST external door handle/lever with the oval shaped toilet door handle.

• RMweb Gold

In the suicide I had in front of my train at Streatham Common witnesses said he saw the train approach, stood up and ran and dived.

The one I had to attend on Teignmouth sea wall, the coroner said that she had confused the HST external door handle/lever with the oval shaped toilet door handle.

Coroners sometimes can take a line which is helpful to the family of the victim.  The first one I had to deal with, a night of tragi-comedy in many respects, involved someone walking in front of a train in the wee small hours and of course with the train travelling at 75moh the result was a foregone conclusion.  The Inquest determined that he had become confused and gone out for a walk (in the middle of the night and on a poorly defined footpath across several fields) and notwithstanding his previous interface with an 8 wheeler HGV in the middle of Frome or immersion in the lake at Longleat, plus seemingly taking too many pills on one occasion, and a history of in-patient stays at Shepton Mallet mental hospital, the verdict was very definitely not Suicide.  

I have no concerns at all with such a verdict being brought in for the sake of his loved ones, even if some evidence suggested a more likely reason for his demise.

Edit to correct a trypo

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Like the Q, I often wonder how Rick does his day job without either cracking someone, or just dissolving in tears of anger or frustration, but that sad event really does bring home both his, and other railway staff's professionalism in dealing with such a horrid happening. 

I know that you understand when to seek support yourself if needed Rick, but take care, eh? 

Not sure I'd be as outwardly composed as Rick (I'm SURE it takes a greater toll internally), and agree that some day jobs require significantly more "stomach" than I'd probably manage.

Take care of yourself Rick...

Saturday - late rising, coffee and newspaper in bed, that's the life :)

Alerted to the fact that we're off in a couple of hours to obtain (by legal means of course) our Christmas tree. Also informed that I'm too decrepit to actually bring the bloody thing in myself and will have to wait until tomorrow when Trevor is over and can help - trust me, I ]m not THAT sobbing old and creaky - but apparently the entire family feel I should accept help graciously <sigh> :O

Later off to dinner with friends, and that'll account for the day. Relaxed (except for the "OLD" reminder!!) and pleasant it will be.

-10 and cloudy here, headed for a balmy -4 later, no snow in the forecast.

Enjoy Saturday where you can...

Coroners sometimes can take a line which is helpful to the family of the victim.  The first one I had to deal with, a night of tragi-comedy in many respects, involved someone walking in front of a train in the wee small hours and of course with the train travelling at 75moh the result was a foregone conclusion.  The Inquest determined that he had become confused and gone out for a walk (in the middle of the night and on a poorly defined footpath across several fields) and notwithstanding his previous interface with an 8 wheeler HGV in the middle of Frome or immersion in the lake at Longleat, plus seemingly taking too many pills on one occasion, and a history of in-patient stays at Shepton Mallet mental hospital, the verdict was very definitely not Suicide.  

I have no concerns at all with such a verdict being brought in for the sake of his loved ones, even if some evidence suggested a more likely reason for his demise.

Edit to correct a trypo

Yes Mike, thats what this coroner did.
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Over the last few weeks (and up to Christmas) Jet2.com fly to New York from Leeds ..and, obviously return back to Leeds. They fly through Newark, which seems, like all New York airports , to be incapable of getting aircraft airborne on time..never mind... they made up most of a 1 hour 20 minute delay today. Not sure about doing the Atlantic trip on a 757 though..

Baz

• Like 11

... they made up most of a 1 hour 20 minute delay today. Not sure about doing the Atlantic trip on a 757 though..

It might depend on which way you're going - the prevailing wind (almost always west-to-east in the northern parts of the northern oceans) can have a major effect. I've seen a difference of 200mph in "over-the-water" speed in flights to and from Hawaii from Vancouver i.e. 100mph head/tail winds.

Incidentally, those flights were in 737s. And, after we'd boarded in Vancouver for a supposedly non-stop flight to the most distant island (Kauai) of probably the most isolated archipelago in the world, the captain told us that, because of headwinds, we couldn't make it on a full fuel load and would be going through Oakland to refuel. A rather anxious start to what was supposed to be (and did turn out to be) a relaxing holiday.

(Edit - sorry, I've just realised I've posted much the same information before on here. I blame age.)

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a very successful day at Brentwood today if the number of modelling tokens dispersed is anything to go by. £240 in all, half of it went on one item, a waterline model of a small coaster being loaded at a dockside enclosed in a clear case approx. 12" X 12" X 2' 6". It also features figures of crew and dock workers and the scale appears to be 00, the figures and some cargo certainly are. Only thing is when I got it home there was no place to put it so it is residing on the dining table at present. Now its time for dinner, be back later.

• Like 11

It might depend on which way you're going - the prevailing wind (almost always west-to-east in the northern parts of the northern oceans) can have a major effect. I've seen a difference of 200mph in "over-the-water" speed in flights to and from Hawaii from Vancouver i.e. 100mph head/tail winds.

Incidentally, those flights were in 737s. And, after we'd boarded in Vancouver for a supposedly non-stop flight to the most distant island (Kauai) of probably the most isolated archipelago in the world, the captain told us that, because of headwinds, we couldn't make it on a full fuel load and would be going through Oakland to refuel. A rather anxious start to what was supposed to be (and did turn out to be) a relaxing holiday.

We've flown Seattle/Keflavik in 757s many times. Can't say they were worse than any other Transatlantic flights. (And a good way to avoid London if you are going to Scotland.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each.

Still no layout plans finalised but two and a half rugby matches watched. Having to record the final half of Wasps v Toulouse as "somebody" was rather keen to watch a dancing programme and I thought it prudent to acquiesce as I've hogged the TV since lunchtime.

Abbie is in a happy mood today. She passed her driving test a couple of weeks ago, last week bought a car with the help of her Dad and today they picked it up. He drove it home from the dealers but this afternoon she had her first drive in it with him accompanying. His verdict "She's a good little driver."  Next hurdle will be for her to go solo but that may have to wait as on Monday she and Jack are off to Lanzarote for a few days. Maybe they'll bump into Dom. 

I had a large G & T before dinner which was a very nice warm chicken and bacon salad and that was accompanied by an Aussie Merlot. Now debating whether or not to have another drink. Those who know me even slightly can probably guess what will happen next.  :yes:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' each.

Still no layout plans finalised but two and a half rugby matches watched. Having to record the final half of Wasps v Toulouse as "somebody" was rather keen to watch a dancing programme and I thought it prudent to acquiesce as I've hogged the TV since lunchtime.

Abbie is in a happy mood today. She passed her driving test a couple of weeks ago, last week bought a car with the help of her Dad and today they picked it up. He drove it home from the dealers but this afternoon she had her first drive in it with him accompanying. His verdict "She's a good little driver."  Next hurdle will be for her to go solo but that may have to wait as on Monday she and Jack are off to Lanzarote for a few days. Maybe they'll bump into Dom. 

I had a large G & T before dinner which was a very nice warm chicken and bacon salad and that was accompanied by an Aussie Merlot. Now debating whether or not to have another drink. Those who know me even slightly can probably guess what will happen next.  :yes:

another drink...go on, go on, go on.....

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rick, just read what you posted about that incident. Hope you’re okay and that there’ll be support at hand, should you feel you need it. Do let us know if you need to get something off your chest at any point, too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hmm. I blame GDB.

Something O Gauge is on its way.

Shunty-planky thoughts now raging out of control, bought a loco that is totally inappropriate timescale-wise for the grouping era stock I have, and do I care?  Nah - Rule 1. I need something to kick start my modelling mojo, I hope this is it! 

• Like 17

We've flown Seattle/Keflavik in 757s many times. Can't say they were worse than any other Transatlantic flights. (And a good way to avoid London if you are going to Scotland.)

Or drive up to Calgary or Vancouver and fly non-stop to Glasgow with Air Transat. (Summer only, though.)

Edited by pH
  • Like 8

Or drive up to Calgary or Vancouver and fly non-stop to Glasgow with Air Transat. (Summer only, though.)

I did drive to Calgary for a flight home once but it's so long ago I can't remember which airline or where it landed :)

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I've been examining today's purchase. The case is held together by screws, dozens of them. Not only that they are a mix of single slot and crosshead screws under several coats of paint. Luckily the back is not painted and should come off easily. I'll keep you posted on progress.

• Like 10