The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

And good morning all,

.  My advice to 'The Q' is not to count the days when the target is so far away as you might find that circumstances change and your employers could make a decision for you - in the way that my final big railway employers made me an offer I couldn't refuse (no horse heads were involved) while somebody else made an offer of some very interesting potential part time employment a week or so later resulting in my previously self-planned redundancy date shooting forwards by almost 4 years.

Have a good day one and all

1461 days is 4 years so that would mean I could retire tomorrow.. :no:  however it's unlikely :beee: . Should I be made redundant tomorrow, we could survive without government benefits, though it would only be surviving. Each day means closer to a comfortable retirement, one more year and by use of savings, etc we would have the same money to live on as we have now, for the three remaining years till the other pensions kick in.

I'm just going to sit here and keep my head below the parapet. This company only gives state minimum benefits for redundancy...

oh we do have a free benefit today... free waffles...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Summer I think and my best guess for the year would be 1960. The Canal line through Paisley was at the bottom of my friend's garden across the street. We used to watch for a train that we referred to as the "8:15" before we went to school. It stopped at Paisley Canal probably around 8:12 on its way to St Enoch. It was usually pacific hauled - Duchess (often City of Salford), Britannia or a Clan.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy the oldest ScR TT I have is Winter 62/63 and in that there is an 08.16 from Paisley Canal to St Enoch which originated at Kilmarrnock.  The notes are slightly confusing because there are two trains in the same TT column but there is a 'D' for diesel at the column head which could refer to either or both trains!  Things would have changed quite a lot between 1960 and the winter of 62/63 in the Glasgow area so it might or might not be the same train.  I'll have a further delve when I get chance and see if I can find anything more likely and I'll check the Summer '63 TT to see if it offers anything better.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Summer I think and my best guess for the year would be 1960. The Canal line through Paisley was at the bottom of my friend's garden across the street. We used to watch for a train that we referred to as the "8:15" before we went to school. It stopped at Paisley Canal probably around 8:12 on its way to St Enoch. It was usually pacific hauled - Duchess (often City of Salford), Britannia or a Clan.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy the oldest ScR TT I have is Winter 62/63 and in that there is an 08.16 from Paisley Canal to St Enoch which originated at Kilmarrnock.  The notes are slightly confusing because there are two trains in the same TT column but there is a 'D' for diesel at the column head which could refer to either or both trains!  Things would have changed quite a lot between 1960 and the winter of 62/63 in the Glasgow area so it might or might not be the same train.  I'll have a further delve when I get chance and see if I can find anything more likely and I'll check the Summer '63 TT to see if it offers anything better.

Only advance offered by the Summer '63 TT is a dated train (July to August) from Ayr.

Evening all

Just back from works/pensioner Xmas lunch which went down very well.

Michael (Oz****), sorry to hear about your tooth but hope the root canal goes well. My dentist is very careful regadring toothache. Time before last I presented with a really bad pain in the lower jaw, turned out it was from the upper. Don't ask me how reflected pain works, but I'm so glad he double-double checked before he started any work. He went on gut instinct rather than genuine scientific proof, but I guess that years of practice comes into play as well.

Chrisf - glad the first counselling sesh went well; as others have mentioned, don't worry it may take some time. Hope it continues to go well.

Have a good evening

Mal

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I have been following the Ldle display cabinets thread. I bought a couple a few years ago and then realised that I had nowhere suitable to fix them too, or so I thought. I have just realised that I have the ideal place right next to where I am sitting that ticks all the boxes. Its what was a cupboard that a previous owner had knocked through to make a through passage. There is just enough room for both cabinets if they are placed one above the other. Its not in full sun, in fact it does not receive any sun whatsoever. The wall I intend to attach them to is plenty strong enough to take the rather heavy cabinets, its the side of a chimney breast. Well thats another job on the list to do in the new year.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I have an excuse for not using our vacuum cleaner in the bedroom at the moment. Other half has dropped an earing and can't find it. I reckon it's amongst her clutter on the dressing table rather than the floor but happy to be told not to use the cleaner.

A busy day today tidying up more of the garage then fitting led lights I to correct position on Amtrak loco then a final check to make they were still working. This afternoon at Mums sorti g out her pc not that there is anything wrong as Skype was working despite her saying it wasn't. Hopefully it will work tomorrow when she calls brother in HK.

Now awaiting a great white worm to arrive and pick up other half. Its late aswell.

• Like 17

Only advance offered by the Summer '63 TT is a dated train (July to August) from Ayr.

Thanks very much Mike.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Does this mean that the 'digital motor' of which that bunch are so proud pulled its finger out?

in a way..yes. But I note a decrease in oomph..perhaps the finger is getting tired? :jester:

Baz

• Like 7

Just make sure they get the right tooth. I had one a couple of weeks ago after I decided to delay the procedure for a couple of weeks. If I had let the dentist have at it the first time he would have gone for the wrong tooth. In fairness there are a lot of crowns in there which does make it more complicated.

Yes indeed. The pain has diffused enough that the whole area is very tender and the tooth in question is crowned, adding a degree of protection from impact pain. During the exam I was wondering how they could tell which tooth was the troublesome one since everything in the area hurt and nothing made me jump out of the chair.

Michael (Oz****), sorry to hear about your tooth but hope the root canal goes well. My dentist is very careful regadring toothache. Time before last I presented with a really bad pain in the lower jaw, turned out it was from the upper. Don't ask me how reflected pain works, but I'm so glad he double-double checked before he started any work. He went on gut instinct rather than genuine scientific proof, but I guess that years of practice comes into play as well.

The X-ray was the decisive diagnostic. I asked the dentist how he could tell what the problem was because nothing looked evident to me. He pointed to a darkened area where the tooth meets the jaw bone. The diagnostic software has an interactive contrast enhancing capability to do this sort of thing.  The replacement of films with image sensors was a big leap in dental x-ray diagnosis. Modern dental equipment is indeed a far cry from when I was introduced to dentistry as a lad. I shudder to think what it was like for prior generations when extraction was the solution for so many dental problems.

I'm headed out for the root canal in a couple of hours. I'm within the window where I'm not supposed to take any of the meds so it's distracting and I can't concentrate on anything for long. I'm glad the procedure is scheduled for today rather than the appointment for tomorrow that was first suggested. I've not needed a root canal in a very long time.

• RMweb Gold

I have an excuse for not using our vacuum cleaner in the bedroom at the moment. Other half has dropped an earing and can't find it. I reckon it's amongst her clutter on the dressing table rather than the floor but happy to be told not to use the cleaner.

Ian, Chris often drops earrings or the backs of them on the floor. I've found that using a bright torch to search usually shows up something glistening.

• Like 10

Modern dental equipment is indeed a far cry from when I was introduced to dentistry as a lad.

I was introduced to the low speed belt driven drill. Yikes.

The dentist was a Mr Gemmill but my dad always referred to him as Mr Gumboil.

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

I think I have isolated the cause of the tinnitus - the Ibuprofen I was taking for the joint pain!  Didn't take any last night and my hearing was OK this morning, but after my walk to clear things a bit my hip and foot were protesting as usual (I walked too far - oops) and I took one with my lunch.  Result...hissssssssssssss. Fading now, just paracetamol this evening I think.

• RMweb Gold

in a way..yes. But I note a decrease in oomph..perhaps the finger is getting tired? :jester:

Baz

Our vacuum cleaner was supposed to be capable of dealing with animal hair and dirt. It was great at first and then deteriorated.I also found the bagless dust disposal to be messy. Unlike other vacuum cleaners it didn’t survive a fall down the stairs. The pretty yellow plastic bits didn’t respond well to glue. So it went out to the garage and was replaced with German product. It is rated for cats and dogs and has a hygienic bag. Last year we bought another German brand as we wanted an upright cleaner for upstairs. Saves lifting!

Tony

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Evening.

I think I have isolated the cause of the tinnitus - the Ibuprofen I was taking for the joint pain!  Didn't take any last night and my hearing was OK this morning, but after my walk to clear things a bit my hip and foot were protesting as usual (I walked too far - oops) and I took one with my lunch.  Result...hissssssssssssss. Fading now, just paracetamol this evening I think.

Neil those pills are quiet nasty with several side effects   :crazy:  :tease:  I only take them as a last resort  Aspirin 300 mg or Paracetamol should be strong enough

and you can't mix the Ibuprofen with the Co-codamol which I take for the dodgy back. P.H. Armassis

Edited by 81C
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Evening.

I think I have isolated the cause of the tinnitus - the Ibuprofen I was taking for the joint pain! Didn't take any last night and my hearing was OK this morning, but after my walk to clear things a bit my hip and foot were protesting as usual (I walked too far - oops) and I took one with my lunch. Result...hissssssssssssss. Fading now, just paracetamol this evening I think.

Robbie had labyrinthitis last year. The vet was very sympathetic as she had had it too. I thought the poor dog had suffered a stroke. Inner ear infections are hard to treat it would seem so hopefully it was your ibuprofen not an infection I get tinnitus when I am tired. It isn’t bells and whistles, rather a scratching sound. I thought we had mice or an infestation of crickets. Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Gave my sister a call this evening, mainly to inform her of the recently rediscovered long lost cousin and to have a chat about other family things. She suffers from glacoma, kept under control by eye drops. She told me that she is going to have an operation that involves inserting a micro-tube in the eyeball just underneath the eyelid to relieve the pressure in the eyeball. After that there will be no need for eye drops and no further deterioration of her eyesight. The wonders of modern medicine.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Neil those pills are quiet nasty with several side effects   :crazy:  :tease:  I only take them as a last resort  Aspirin 300 mg or Paracetamol should be strong enough

and you can't mix the Ibuprofen with the Co-codamol which I take for the dodgy back. P.H. Armassis

Got the T shirt!  I was on tons of it after I mashed my foot, in the later stages - it can inhibit bone healing so wasn't on it at first but it did help with the mega swelling all the surgery caused.  I suppose there was so much else going on then (together with more fun err powerful drugs) I didn't really notice the tinnitus then as it was the least of my worries.

• RMweb Premium

I was introduced to the low speed belt driven drill. Yikes.

The dentist was a Mr Gemmill but my dad always referred to him as Mr Gumboil.

My first dentist had one of these. Not the best thing to have whirring and gurgling away at a stressful time in the first place.

post-408-0-77841900-1543965790.jpg

Pullem Pinder was my dentist's name. A fearsome giant of a man who would quite happily put a knee on your chest whilst performing a tooth removal. And he had horribly bad breath.

Gave me odontophobia for about 15 years which I've never really recovered from.

Sleep well.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I spent the afternoon in the workshop, where I finished off the chassis jig that I made a copy of an adjustment cradle, so now I can build a chassis with up to 5 axles and fine tune the spacing a lot easier than before. I also fitted my new H1 loco with a chip and refitted the replacement (via Hornby) sound chip in my BoB, which is now working perfectly.

Goodnight all

• Like 18