The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

6.5 hours wandering around, initially in the odd spot of rain, eventually in heavy continuous drizzle.

Ben the border collie is tired out, he's dozing on the sofa next to me.

I hit the jackpot at the second hand book shop, they had just bought in 500 railway books from an executor, sadly only 100 had been sorted and were available . From which I selected 10 about highland and west highland lines. A return visit will be required.

The works had a selection of books on a similar subject, strangely 4 different books were all on the subject of lost railways, Three books not including those, were bought. At WHS once I had searched the place to A find the magazines and B find the muddling ones, I found a copy of MRJ which has a article on a Highland Railway Station.

Dinner has been had, I shall join Ben, in eyelid inspection

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

OF club re-launched in style (ish) at the newly refurbished, new management-ised café.  They were a bit over-run with the amount of well-wishers that came in and of course 25 or so old frats pretending they came on bikes…..in the rain....but did us proud.  Stuffed.

Some other mild sh*pping done with SWMBO to make up for two consecutive OF club mornings.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Yo All 

I texted Ivan a few weeks ago to see if he was OK he texted back to say he was fine but was very busy with work he said to contact him any time 

but I will leave it a few week to allow him to get some work out of the way and maybe bid him Merry Christmas.

Edit

Please don't ask for his number I wish to protect his privacy.

Edited by 81C
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Yo All 

I texted Ivan a few weeks ago to see if he was OK he texted back to say he was fine but was very busy with work he said to contact him any time 

but I will leave it a few week to allow him to get some work out of the way and maybe bid him Merry Christmas.

Edit

Please don't ask for his number I wish to protect his privacy.

I've been in touch with Ivan over something totally unrelated to ER's he seems OK.

Jamie

• Like 13

Evening all,

Best wishes to all in distress.  Early bed, early start as I went to the Reading Trade Show today.  I travelled on the gentleman's railway - no problems until we were put behind a Windsor stopper from Staines to Barnes.  Minimal use of tokens although I did buy a Christmas present for Jamie.

Central heating boiler services tomorrow with hopefully a small leak resolved.

Bill

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Gee, how glad I am for us to have done more than 90% of our C*******s shopping already! :yes:

We do very little really, as we don't celebrate, not being Christians.  We just get some things for friends kids, which nowadays seems to be grand-kids.....eek. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

' Evening all from red dragon land.

First off, many happy returns. Bob.  Enjoy what is left of it!

After the joys of Warley, this morning we headed for the Manchester Christmas Show, again by rail.

We got to Crewe on time and headed for the waiting room where we were informed that the Manchester Piccadilly train was running late...

For those muddling r**lways and want a prototypical reason for their rolling stock not running/working/being held up, there were cows on the track...

Half an hour late, we were on our way.

Terrific show, some terrific layouts, old friends met and new ones made, and one GWR fruit van kit better off.

Excellent day out.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

We do very little really, as we don't celebrate, not being Christians.  We just get some things for friends kids, which nowadays seems to be grand-kids.....eek.

We have genersllly organised the extended family Christmas. For some reason as nearly all the others claim due to being Hindu or Jewish, I get nominated to organise the Christmas Day get together. I really can’t organise anything this year and fortunately no one expects me (or Aditi) to do so. Present buying has taken place for the small nieces and not quite so small nephews. For quite a few years the highlight of our Christmas has been Matthew coming home from somewhere. We will probably be at home together. Lots of people (family and neighbours) have said we can just turn up if we change our mind.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see you posting Gordon!

Been busy playing trains today. Woopiddoo!

Now can anyone help in getting a video to be small enough to load on here???

Baz

I've tried and the only way that always works is to upload to YouTube then create a link.

Also John (CB's) link doesn't seem to work for me try this one

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-46397261

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

This will be the first year since the Manchester Model Railway Show restarted in 2015, that I haven’t been, but to be fair, I wasn’t really up to it as I started with a cold Wednesday morning, which seemed to get worse whilst we were in Harrogate. But thankfully, it now seems to be clearing up a bit, I’ll keep taking the meds.

Thankfully, I wasn’t at the Trafford Centre long this morning, I left home at 10:00 and was back home for 10:40, even then there were far too many numpties knocking around for my liking. Once the shopping had been put away Sheila and I made a start on cleaning the living and dining rooms ready for me to make a start on putting up all the Christmas decorations, but that can wait until tomorrow now.

Goodnight all

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And in news from Bristol (where else?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46397261 

I've tried and the only way that always works is to upload to YouTube then create a link.

Jamie

It didn't work for me either until Jamie posted the link.

• RMweb Gold

Jamie

Bloomin' heck.  Presumably it was authenticated as a real original because if it wasn't somebody (me for instance, and the buyer) has caught a serious cold.  What happened was that the former BBC retail outlet commissioned a number of copies a good many years ago.  They were limited in number and were original paintings, not prints, and bore a good resemblance to the original (assuming anyone outside the BBC actually knew the detail of the original).  I bought one at auction back in the 1990s complete with provenance but as it didn't sit well on the wall in our downstairs loo (which was what I had in mind for it when I subsequently planned this house) I put it back into auction with another auctioneer several years after I'd bought it and made a small profit on the deal after allowing for charges etc,

But the copies were were only selling for relatively low three figure sums 8 - 9 years ago and getting even £500 for one in good condition would have been considered exceptional.   So I only hope that whoever bought this one has got one of the originals (there were always rumoured to be several 'originals' in case the one used in filming was damaged) and it's a pity that I only got one of the copies when I see prices like this although I was happy that I turned a profit on mine.

Here she is -

post-6859-0-11233100-1543708718_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Good evening fellow ER’s and generic greetings to all with special thoughts towards John and Sandy. Sadly I have missed a few days so apologies for anything I have missed. Things have been busy with the shop, culminating in a long day yesterday. After a fairly productive day it was off to Amber’s school Christmas Fayre. Sarah had a stall booked to sell her Avon products and I was able to tag some toys from the shop on the end. It turned into a very profitable evening.

Sadly today has not gone well. After a busy morning things went quiet in the afternoon due to the wet weather. A couple of customers had phoned ahead to check opening times and they did both turn up so it was worth staying open. Unfortunately when I got back to the car park it was pitch dark. Somehow, not concentrating, I misjudged my exit from the space and wrapped the car around a metal post causing damage to the driver’s door and the underside. I did not think I was parked that close to the post! I have only had the car 11 months and am already waiting for a quote to repair the rear bumper after another car park mishap. Two in a couple of months is a bit much! I have to admit it is an expense I can well do without and it has helped to unbolt the kennel of a certain dark canine again.

Take care all.

Best wishes

Andy