The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

We don't need snow to sc3w up our transport. Signal failure at Selhurst meant our train made an additional stop there to pick up and set down passengers so just missed my Overground train connection to Wandsworth Road to phot a couple of freights. I nearly got to the train when it left early according to the platform clock. Did get one at Denmark Hill though. Then headed to Shoreditch and a walk to the new Mikkeller brewery bar where I did have a fair few squeakers of very strong brews. 16.5%imperial Stout to start with. Slowly working my way towards JX.

We need to work on the coordination of our schedules. Missed you in the Mikkeller bar by 48 hours. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

...Then headed to Shoreditch and a walk to the new Mikkeller brewery bar where I did have a fair few squeakers of very strong brews. 16.5%imperial Stout to start with...

What is a squeaker? I did try Google but just got information about teddy bear parts.

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Last week or so, at the front of the cremated Swan pub they put in a new fence with 1ft square posts which act as armco for the pub. ( replacing the old fried posts) This week they dug up the road to put in new water pipes, and took out a fence post. This has now been tarmaced over.

So I'm predicting they dig up the tarmac Next Week to put the fence post back in..

Letter from the electricity company, next year, for the same usage our total bill will be £30 less!!!!

MRC later ..but first dinner is on its way.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Letter from the electricity company, next year, for the same usage our total bill will be £30 less!!!!

MRC later ..but first dinner is on its way.

We got a letter too. I think our saving may be more as we have their gas and electricity.

Tony

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Suggest she returns it as " not fit for purpose" if it won't do as required!

Nufink wrong with the phone it's the owner, nothing has been done to it and she wanted me to drive 60miles to a store where they have one of these Guru things

to sort it, Her is in stupid mode at the moment there is never anything rational with the way she thinks it's easier to just act the goat and she's good at that. :banghead:   .

• RMweb Gold

What is a squeaker? I did try Google but just got information about teddy bear parts.

Tony

I would also refer you to Long Island Jack (rmweb username) who used to have a go at us drinking such small measures of beer until he realised he was getting on a bit too (shame I cant link to him so he can see this post).

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11

I am in deep, deep trouble with Scruffs. Had to take her to the vet because she was chewing her paw and limping. Turns out that there's nothing in it but she has a lotion on it which she needs to leave alone, hence a cone. 

She isn't talking to me.

But she got her own back by, in the middle of a packed waiting room, performing a monster carp (anag) on the floor.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still got the builders in next door and this morning they had a very large skip delivered, even bigger than the one hired by the previous owners. As it turns out the previous owners to them, who were here when I moved in 30 years ago didn't bother to get planning permission for the extension (that was also present 30 years ago). Luckily for the new owners the council have granted retrospective planning permission. So much for the previous owners solicitors who failed to spot that one.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

We had a very uneventful trip back home, it taking just under 90 minutes. Why is it the journey home always takes less time than the journey there? Before we actually got home, I called at the butchers to pick up the weekly meat rations and a couple of pasties, which I’d ordered last week.

This afternoon we had Ava, Evie and Max round for tea as Ian had to be at work for 5:00 to attend a course on anti terrorism and how to deal with such attacks, rather him than me!

Tonight I get to sleep in my own bed, bliss!

Goodnight all

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl,

Iirc if a building / extension has been up for 7years with no complaints or challenges there is nothing the council can do but grant retrospective planning permission.

Well. I'm back from the MRC, most of slartybartfast's work was successful, the cliff faces are much improved, however I've still not cracked getting the Heather to look right. Alternatives are being sought. But typing in painting Heather on web searches gets entirely the wrong image..

Night Awl..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.  I note that this post is going to take two days to prepare and send.  23.57 as I write but it will be Saturday 'fore long.  For the benefit of those who read slowly I'll not be typing too fast either.

The past 48 hours has included various conversations involving Yours Truly, sister and SWMBO.  I have become concerned about how much of the daytimes the Good Lady spends asleep on the sofa but it came to something of a head yesterday after eight hours and being unable to wake her for dinner or anything else.  After being effectively confined to the office / bedroom I finally had had enough and went out for a bit of a walk.  Upon my return the Good Lady was awake, having heard me leave, and she felt I had some explaining to do.  

I shared a few things with my sister shortly afterwards.  One of the things the two have in common is being affected by greater-than-comfortable size so there is a good deal of empathy there.  

All seemed well this morning as I left for a day trip to Brizzle.  We had intended this to b a joint day out to Bath Christmas Markets but SWMBO opted out and I wasn't in a Christmas mood by the time Bath appeared outside the train windows.  Half way through the trip I received a message from SWMBO telling me that my sister had conveyed to her that I was extremely worried about her health and was this true.  There is an element of truth there.  Sensing a very disgruntled SWMBO was behind this I spent the rest of the outbound and entire return trips feeling agitated.

Some words were exchanged after my return home, none of which would be called angry but were more to clarify where we all stood.  Apparently I am not to discuss SWMBO's details with anyone for any reason.  Right then.   But all is well otherwise and there is no harm done.

So Friday night was spent indoors folding laundry, washing dishes and enjoying a bottle of London Pride.  Tomorrow promises to be a bit more lively!  And all the Christmas* stuff which has to be mailed to Australia is wrapped and ready to go in the morning.  

So now to bed.  Perchance to sleep.  At least I don't expect to be disturbed at 4.30am tonight!!!  Best wishes to all.  You may now open you Advent Calendars.

* It now being 1st December I am allowed to use the full spelling.  And so are you.

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl,

Iirc if a building / extension has been up for 7years with no complaints or challenges there is nothing the council can do but grant retrospective planning permission.

Well. I'm back from the MRC, most of slartybartfast's work was successful, the cliff faces are much improved, however I've still not cracked getting the Heather to look right. Alternatives are being sought. But typing in painting Heather on web searches gets entirely the wrong image..

Night Awl..

I did some heather (and gorse) inspired by Cornwall's cliffs  on Camel Quay.  If it is of use to you, this post #720  covers how I did it.   Heather seems to grow in clumps of different sizes and coverage.  On the mountain where I live, it all blends into one large mass of colour in August and grows to knee height or more.  In other areas it is higher still.  In the photos I have of Cornwall, it is interspersed with gorse, clumps of tall grass and sometimes large grassy areas and wild flowers.

PM me if you have any questions.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Busy day - Tess Coe shop followed by look round carpet store for floor coverings for kitchen/dining areas.  Home for lunch then getting ready for model engineering society annual dinner was slightly delayed = I fell asleep after lunch!!! 

Annual dinner went really well at the Conwy golf club. The food was very good and so was the frivolity.  I had prepared an illustrated steam railway quiz for the tables with a choice of 3 answers per question and opportunities for gaining extra points.  My table came last!  It must have been my efforts giving the don't know shrug, I guess.  :dontknow:  My lips were sealed.  After the tie-breaker questions came into effect, the Chairman's table won the competition (did I hear the word "fix" mentioned?).  That was followed by the raffle.  We came home with a retro wall clock but we also won the Star Prize which I was invited to collect and....open on the spot.  "Keep this side towards you" came the next instruction.  Then, "turn it round and show everyone."  A candid camera photo of the chairman.  Not quite sure how to go along with this, I decided it should be one for the clubhouse and therefore I passed it to another member to pass round the tables so they could all see it properly.  Before I left, I handed it over to the Vice to be put in a place of honour.  A good night with a very good friendly crowd. 

' Night all and nos da.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Evening awl,

Night Awl..

Perhaps you could search for Erica instead?

• RMweb Premium

I did some heather (and gorse) inspired by Cornwall's cliffs on Camel Quay. If it is of use to you, this post #720 covers how I did it. Heather seems to grow in clumps of different sizes and coverage. On the mountain where I live, it all blends into one large mass of colour in August and grows to knee height or more. In other areas it is higher still. In the photos I have of Cornwall, it is interspersed with gorse, clumps of tall grass and sometimes large grassy areas and wild flowers.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the picture, it looks much better than my attempts i'd searched RMweb and unfortunately not found your work. The picture gives a wealth of information.

I've walked through Heather on Dartmoor, Exmoor, Brecon Beacons and of course the highlands and Islands of Scotland and agree with your assessment of how it looks.

I'll shortly go looking on't net for those woodland scenics materials.

Today we are off to the metropolis of great Yarmouth, mostly to go to the big Tess and cos, sadly the muddle iarnroid shop in GY closed, so I can't get the "heather" materials there.

I'm hoping the second hand book shop opposite the closed shop has iarnroid books of interest. A visit to "The Works" often brings some books of interest and muddling materials.

Bacon butties off the market, and a visit to WHS should complete my interest, several other hours will be spent sheltering from the weather while SWMBO does her shopping.

I'm off internet shopping. Then to look at the rest of southern42s thread.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 13