The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

It's Monday, and I will soon be setting off for LASAR to do some PAT testing, and now other duties in the shop as well, such as making sure that the book room is stocked up and the DVD shelves are likewise.

As usual, generic greetings are on offer to the ailing and the celebrating.  And a wish for some of the mising ERs to return - Ivan and Pete to name but two who seem to be departed from these parts.

Bacon bagel calls now, so back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Ian, you will probably have to do a factory reset on the Vermin StupidHub. I long ago set mine to modem mode and use ASUS AI Mesh compatible routers instead. Range is so good I no longer need a repeater in the shed, and I can still get a decent connection in the local chippy. I'm also running 4 Sonos speakers and a Sonos connect with no drop outs or hiccups, even when streaming vinyl from an analogue amp via the connect. 

Yes will do a reset some time today in between modelling. All echos playing music synced together now along with the one plugged into the hifi. 

A load of C & L concrete sleepers being cut down in length and bottom thickened out to add to the pile of sleepers in the yard on Dobris plus some weathering  etc.

Glad I am at home as Thameslink was up creek this morning and the train that I dropped my other half at the station didnt show up. It also affected some of her work collegues heading in from North of London.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I am sooooo glad this morning that I no longer have to commute what with all the chaos this morning due to overrunning engineering works which means that a lot of stock will be trapped in its depots, oh such joy. Decidedly nippy this morning when I went out to get the milk in, so cold in fact the milk is now warming up in the fridge. Which reminds me of the school milk when I was a youngster, one winter morning it was so cold that the milk froze in the bottles and as it expanded it pushed the caps off. Now time for muggatee, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good to hear that ChrisF js getting on with some modelling - an excellent step to back up his very positive achievements in Irwell land.   As ever little planned for today here beyond a probable continuation of winterisation in the living room - deferred from yesterday - and no doubt a bit more progress through Max Hastings mighty tome 'Catastrophe' about the outbreak of WWI which has sat on the 'to read' list for rather too long; he really is an excellent writer and a very impressive historian so 500+ pages definitely does not drag.

Outside it is colder by seemingly no proper frost this a.m and it is dry, but forecast to get wetter, and not whiter, as the week progresses.   Must raid the piggy bank ready for Saturday as well.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 12

Good moaning from the boring borough. It's raining. It's Monday. It's waste of time meeting morning. Meh. 

I have a feeling our resident from the hill of Strawberries isn't going to be a very happy bunny when he checks in this morn. Twitter has now renamed SWT to S*itheads, W***ers & Tw**s. Despite the cause being Network Rail's sub-contractor's engineering works overrunning. 

I'm very glad to be in my home office, warm & dry, and travel stress free. Time for another coffee and mentally prepare for a technical interview with a potential new employer. 

Enjoy the day. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I really thought I had posted this morning but perhaps that was yesterday.

It has been sunny and wet here this morning.

I wasn’t going to do much but Aditi seemed keen on sorting out stuff for the charity shop. I got rid of things that no longer fit and never will fit again. We now have a huge box of coat hangers too.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I am sooooo glad this morning that I no longer have to commute what with all the chaos this morning due to overrunning engineering works which means that a lot of stock will be trapped in its depots, oh such joy. Decidedly nippy this morning when I went out to get the milk in, so cold in fact the milk is now warming up in the fridge. Which reminds me of the school milk when I was a youngster, one winter morning it was so cold that the milk froze in the bottles and as it expanded it pushed the caps off. Now time for muggatee, be back later.

It must have been colder in the Midlands. Frozen milk, especially the free milk at school was frequently frozen.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a feeling our resident from the hill of Strawberries isn't going to be a very happy bunny when he checks in this morn. Twitter has now renamed SWT to S*itheads, W***ers & Tw**s. Despite the cause being Network Rail's sub-contractor's engineering works overrunning. 

Enjoy the day.

The correct version of that is SWR : Something Will Run ;)

Well that was a day!!! The first in which I have not just despatched no trains but had no trains offered for despatch. Multiple engineering over-runs blocked Southern and Gat-quick Express trains through Balham until around 06.45 and, far more seriously, SWR trains through Wimbledon until 10.30. And your scribe was in charge of the Down Main Slow platform 11 which had still had no service by time I left.

All the many hundreds of commuters who normally travel to Wimbledon, Kingston and points south-west were advised (by website, app and even push notifications to mobiles) to not attempt travel. Numbers were down on normal but I still had to re-direct several thousand hopefuls. While many were understanding there were the few who tried to make a bigger or personal issue of it.

Adding to the problems, as AndrewC alludes to, was the fact that most of the suburban fleet was trapped in Wimbledon depot. Coupled with staff dislocation this also had a profound negative effect on what we might otherwise have run on the Windsor Lines. Among the oddities which did run was a Waterloo - Exeter via Addlestone service. That’s not something you would ever normally see. I don’t know if the crew signed the route or were conducted over the diversion.

I survived with a smile on my face and reached home to enjoy a tasty bacon, brie and cranberry sandwich for lunch.

Then I opened my emails and learned that our estate agent managing the Australian property has gone into receivership. That explains why we haven’t received any rent for two months nor had a response from them explaining why. The issue here is that the rent feeds the mortgage and we have to establish if this will leave us out of pocket. And how do we appoint a new agent if there is no-one left to sign over the property management agreement.

It never rains but it pours, eh?

Phew. I’m off for a kip!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

I remain unconvinced that pictogram doesn't mean "Run away all"

Today was spent with my son and daughter-in-law delving into the past of Albus Dumbledore and his then contemporaries.

There's a lot for fans of JK Rowling's imagination to digest, including many familiar characters some 70 years earlier, and much that is completely new to the canonical form of the Harry Potter backstory.  On the whole the "Crimes of Grindelwald" screams of being the setup for a third installment of a "Wizarding World / Fantastic Beasts" series, alternatively full of computer-generated magic (literally so in this case) and confusing dialogue that tries hard not to explain everything clearly so as not to spoil the reveal in the next installment.

If you think that's good then you'll just love George the Stunt Hippo, when it's globally franchised.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unsurprisingly we made the national evening news. Somewhat surprisingly one of the snippets included a very familiar voice announcing that all trains from platform 11 were suspended.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

2 hours to get home this evening, which consisted of:

First 0.1 miles = 1 hour.

Next 0.3 miles = 30 minutes.

Next 14 miles = 30 minutes. 

Now, you might ask why I bothered to even leave if it was that bad. I think the answer is that it normally only takes about 45 minutes to do the first 0.3 miles, so when I ventured out it didn't seem "that bad". 

We used to complain about the journey to work. We now feel like we're held hostage at the end of the day. 

The number of complaints letters going into the County Council is increasing. I think mine tomorrow may be along the lines of....

"Dear Traffic Bloke. As a major employer in your area we are now looking to move counties. We hope this won't impact your tax receipts too much. Goodbye and thanks for all the fish."

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

2 hours to get home this evening, which consisted of:

First 0.1 miles = 1 hour.

Next 0.3 miles = 30 minutes.

Next 14 miles = 30 minutes. 

Now, you might ask why I bothered to even leave if it was that bad. I think the answer is that it normally only takes about 45 minutes to do the first 0.3 miles, so when I ventured out it didn't seem "that bad". 

We used to complain about the journey to work. We now feel like we're held hostage at the end of the day. 

The number of complaints letters going into the County Council is increasing. I think mine tomorrow may be along the lines of....

"Dear Traffic Bloke. As a major employer in your area we are now looking to move counties. We hope this won't impact your tax receipts too much. Goodbye and thanks for all the fish."

22 mile commute for me - usually takes about 35 minutes. (40 on a summer Sunday when I get held up by tourists)

It's not all grim up north......

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

22 miles - usually ta

22 mile commute for me - usually takes about 35 minutes. (40 on a summer Sunday when I get held up by tourists)

It's not all grim up north......

Cheers,

Mick

But I think even "the north" is getting further and further north. 

On our annual pilgrimage to Aberdeenshire we used to note that once we got past Manchester the traffic thinned out. Not so much these days, and it sometimes seems we have to get past the Lakes before it is noticeably quieter. Just don't mention the traffic in the Midlands last year - a standstill round Birmingham, Stoke... 

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Apparently the engineering overrun this morning was due to the discovery that a section of track that was meant to have been left in place required urgent replacement. That is according to some news reports but it must have been really bad for it to require immediate replacement.

• RMweb Premium

looks like my week could be getting even more entertaining. Had a phone call tonight about a large model railway exhibition this weekend....."can I demonstrate this year?.... Err no, demonstrators were booked last year...".but I am really good and I can sell my models to pay for my stand"..er no..the demos don't sell anything... "can I come next year?".. what do you demonstrate....p"apier mache mouldings of trains" ...err no thanks....

and with that..goodnight all!

Baz

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Apparently the engineering overrun this morning was due to the discovery that a section of track that was meant to have been left in place required urgent replacement. That is according to some news reports but it must have been really bad for it to require immediate replacement.

No official comment has yet been seen. Word is that a section of track which was replaced was found to not meet specifications and had to be urgently replaced. Another word is that a road-rail machine was wrongly routed through points, derailed damaging said points. Third version as Phil posted. The truth is out there. Someone will pay dearly for today’s problems. Edited by Gwiwer