The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I will refer the honourable gentleman to his uncontrollable financial splurges in the HO department to understand his non inclusion.

There may be some truth in that rumour...…

I have tried to persuade them to call at Trainworld in NYC. It's a 3 minute walk to the Metro, no changes and 5 minutes at the other end.....

No joy.

At least Junior NB is promising me some ice hockey merchandise as she is watching the NY Islanders and then has a tour of Madison Square Gardens - home of NY Rangers.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

On the odd meetings, I used to live in Whyteleafe in Surrey, and usually commuted from that station to London Bridge.  One day, the service from Caterham was cancelled, and there was an earlier service from Upper Warlingham (about quarter of a mile away) than waiting for the next one, and I walked up, and sat down to await the train.  Looking to the person sitting next to me, I thought I recognised him, and asked if he was who I thought he was - turned out that he was a friend from school whom I hadn't seen since we went to different universities. 

Sorry I haven't posted for a couple of days, so generic greetings are on offer to the ailing and celebrating. 

Fodder run this morning, then pick up 30747 from work.

Back tomorrow, or perhaps Sunday.

Regards to All

Stewart

I will be at Upper Warlingham station shortly to pick up my other half thrn up to Mum's to load the layout. There is a very good micropub now on the main road called the Radius Arms

• Like 16

Daughter in New Jersey reports all travel is a complete shambles due to snow. Sounds like the authorities in and around New York were all caught with their pants down.

It's the first major snow of the season for the region. I suspect this is completely 'normal'.

I've not really had many chance meetings (as they say in Bree).  Perhaps I spend too much time at home and not out and about? I was quite floored to see an old schoolmate on my doorstep one day, but he had made a point of tracking me down. Even that was decades ago. 

We are uncharacteristically dry here for this time of year though still damp enough from fogs that there is no particular fire danger here.

The air quality in the Bay Area continues to be unhealthy with the deadly fires north of them. Breathing masks have sold out. A radio station with a broadcast range of hundreds of miles and perhaps as many as 5 million residents was telling people where they might be found in extremities of the area. Most of the surgical masks and painters masks are quite useless with forest fire smoke as the particulates are particularly fine. Despite having flown away from there last night, my eyes still feel irritated. The smoke is now here as well and last night's half moon appeared quite yellow. Rain would be very welcome, but there is none in the forecast for days at least.

EDIT: CNN ran this photo essay today. The death toll in California is 66, with 631 unaccounted for. Most of the 'missing' are likely to be alive, officials just don't know where they are. It's easy to imagine those with the means to do so just clearing out and staying with friends or relatives, even if they are far away.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Great poem, Rick - but surprised there was no mention of EFFINGHAM anywhere...

It could have been included, Mal, but in an effort to maintain reasonable language ......  That and even my Poetic Licence won't allow it to rhyme with Woldingham.  And that's on Southern territory anyway!

There are many other places which might be in version 2.  "If you want a good book on the way to LIPHOOK but your library just didn't BOOKHAM" for example.  Or "You dream of the day when you might reach UPWEY and instead of re-reading this ode the faces all gleam when the signal turns green after ages sat at QUEENSTOWN ROAD".

I was challenged to include Martin's Heron and Winnersh Triangle as a colleague thought they would be difficult-nay-impossible rhymes.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a rather chilly but quite bright part of the world. I had a terrible job yesterday as the fair Laetitia rang to ask if I could go and pay some final money. I headed north forthwith and all being well I should finally have the new registration document and registration number for the Volvo in a week's time. It's only taken since July. By the way if anyone is in touch with Horsetan, please let me know as he wanted a pair of French plates making for his CX. He hasn't been active on the site since mid October. I've sent him a PM in case he sees it.

Today is model railway club today so in an hours time I will be heading north to somewhere beyond Poitiers for the usual lunchtime meeting and train playing session.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Ey up! Major outbreak of fatchy pog today.

Various bits of legalise signed off re house sale. Could be I can get a larger car..or loadsarailways or buy herself a new musical instrument..one can but dream.

One day Ian A you will venture up to the home of black pudding, parkin and Yorkshire Tea. Fascinating place and home to a full blown 737 simulator as well aa a full blown Phantom simulator.

Off to get some tea!

Jamie I will contact Horsetan and let him know what you have achieved.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Sounds as if Ian's missus caught the same bug as me, so did a few other people I know. Mostly gone now but I'll keep up with the Lemsips with a bit of spiritual fortification. Not much else to report, be back later.

Daughter in New Jersey reports all travel is a complete shambles due to snow. Sounds like the authorities in and around New York were all caught with their pants down.

Based on my experience living there for 7 years (albeit a long time ago) and the last three years of "too frequent" bi-weekly visits, I can't say I'm surprised!

For a part of the world that regularly gets snow, they always seem woefully equipped to handle it whether it's at the beginning of the season or mid-winter.

• Like 15

Same time as a normal day at the House of Fun but at that hour of a Saturday I am normally negotiating with the cat for sleeping rights!

Guess there's no need to ask who wins :jester:

• Like 1

Evening all

Back from an overnighter in Glasgow where we saw Johnny Marr (guitarist with now defunt pop combo The Smiths, m'lud) at Barrowlands. A great gig in a great venue. Barrowlands is standing only, smallish capacity of 2,100. We were just 4 rows from the front centre. Good songs, and what a super guitarist, not in the Jimi Hendrix stylee of guitarists, but a very well-accomplished craftsman. The sound is so jangling it must be compressed to hell and back.

Travelled over by train in one of the newish 380s. A comfortable trip with softer seats than the new white worm Thameslinks (I had a sore bum on the short trip from StP to EC).

Travelodge decent, too.

I took myself off to explore some leafy lanes in superb autumn sunshine.  The last time I visited Tatsfield this delightful little village was served by London Country (originally London Transport) route 403 which originated in Wallington and went all the way to Tonbridge.  The main service was the busy section from West Croydon to Chelsham however.  And it offered a lengthy ride aboard green RT type buses which spent a long time trundling through largely open countryside.  They double-ran off the main road up to Tatsfield which was also served by a handful of peak-time Green Line 706 coaches on the Westerham to Aylesbury route.  Such a thing sounds highly unlikely today.  

Was going to mention the old 403A and 403B, Rick, but thought better of it... Don't think either of us was alive when the 403C existed!

Evening.

A bit cheesed off about my old work, (I was office manager of our Youth Justice Team - like a young offenders team in the UK) we won two awards in my time there, a great team that got great results in reducing offending. 4 years later it has been disbanded due to failing after a 22% increase in offending.  Words fail me, that's for sure.  There is a certain person I would like to see held responsible for their part in all that, but they never will be. Completely gutted all that work has been thrown away, because 'someone' doesn't like the police working together with social services.  Success is apparently not enough to overcome some people's closed minds and vision.

Neil, I think this is a very British problem; somehow the authorities don't seem to like it when offending reduction programmes seem to work well. Once the offending behaviour is lowered, someone thinks it not worth spending the cash to keep it lowered because they think the problem has been solved for good.

Never met anyone from work on holiday unless it's at one of the John Lewis "hotels". Was walking in an isolated part of NW Scotland in the early 1990s and we bumped in John Smith (Labour leader) and his wife coming the other way. We had a short chat then went on our way. A very nice guy.

Hope your weekends go well. After the weekend London may have fallen so enjoy it while you can!

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

For some reason today, the Trafford Centre was absolutely mad. It seems that every young mum was out with their children in buggies. Wandering aimlessly about and stopping to chat in doorways, it seems that the C*******s madness has started already. Thank goodness we didn’t have to stay long. However, more C*******s present buying has been completed and hopefully there isn’t much more to get now.

We’ll be going there again tomorrow with Ava and Evie, but they’ve been told that this is the last time we’ll take them before C*******s!

Once I’d dropped Sheila off at her friends birthday bash, I returned home and printed off the floor plan for the Warley show next week and made a list of stands I want to visit.

I’ve just had a text from Sheila so I’m off to pick her up.

Goodnight all

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I returned home and printed off the floor plan for the Warley show next week and made a list of stands I want to visit.

And those to avoid?

(Waits for the obvious answer............)  :triniti:

• Like 3

For a part of the world that regularly gets snow, they always seem woefully equipped to handle it whether it's at the beginning of the season or mid-winter.

Reports this evening indicate that at least 8 people have died during this snowstorm, most if not all in vehicle accidents on icy roads.

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

5 hours sleep on the sofa, another 2 on the sofa, there would have been more but Ben the Border Collie came over and was demanding out.

Not to cold out there, which is surprising with a cloudless sky.

The parcel from the isle of no tailed cats, was successfully collected from postman Pats office, all present and very well packed. Then later deposited at the MRC, soon after arriving, a short time was spent scooping up loose granite chippings in the car park, some of this along with very coarse sand from the beach was used on something in the MRC. A good attendance and good progress made.

This morning a bacon butty has been consumed, to be followed by a Muggacoffee.

Then it's off down to the alleyway to continue building the layout carriage, SWMBOs demands also include the brake band on the lazy Kate which will then be complete, a weaving beam to make rag mats, for her forgetful friend and no doubt further orders later..

Time to.. Drink that Muggacoffee..

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

It's a bit damp and cool down here today but we were both up early.   The modelling room has been tidied (I have to share it with SWMBO) the ironing has been done and a 2nd mug of coffee is being consumed.    

I had a good day yesterday at the old trumps MRC otherwise known as the Charente Maritime Modellers.   The usual excellent Plat du jour at a local restaurant then a couple of hours at our Secretary's home looking at large metal things painted green with bits of copper on their bonnets trundling along pieces of nickel silver, all in a scale that I can agree with, even if not the prototype.   However a good time was had.   

This afternoon the mayor's grandson and hopefully the only other young person in the village (11 and 13 I think) are coming round to play with the layout.   si I will be back off over to the shed shortly to spend a bit of time track cleaning and testing.

Hope you all enjoy yourselves.

Jamie

• Like 19