The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

A dull day, which turned damp, which turned deluge.  A horrid drive home, one of those dirty dark wet nights when you can hardly seem to see anything.  We even saved up and turned the lights on, but that didn't help. :jester:

Work was enlivened by a loco return, sent back as dead.  The owner had managed to put it back in the inner clamshell the wrong way around and then really forced it shut, which removed almost every external detail part from the body..... :nono:   Ah well, some you win, some you lose. :cry:

Work was enlivened by a loco return, sent back as dead.  The owner had managed to put it back in the inner clamshell the wrong way around and then really forced it shut, which removed almost every external detail part from the body..... :nono:   Ah well, some you win, some you lose. :cry:

Sounds like my brother. Things always had a habit of falling to bits in his hands. The best one was when he blew up the silencer on his Hillman Imp by cranking and cranking the engine when it obviously wasn't going to start. I didn't witness the explosion but judging from the state of the silencer it must have been pretty impressive.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like my brother. Things always had a habit of falling to bits in his hands. The best one was when he blew up the silencer on his Hillman Imp by cranking and cranking the engine when it obviously wasn't going to start. I didn't witness the explosion but judging from the state of the silencer it must have been pretty impressive.

I did that once with a bike - timing 360 degrees out on a 4 stroke single, the bang actually shut my hearing down for about 20 seconds!  The silencer survived, oddly, but there was about ten pounds less rust in it afterwards.  Lesson learned....

• Like 2

Am elated at the news that the obviously hard up Spice Girls are to tour again. What brilliant news. My only sadness is that without Posh we wont see David B****y Beckham appearing on tv again in yet another piece of over exposure. Praise be!

Last night we had about 20 mins of fireworks, but tonight, nothing, because its raining like nothing before. Maybe that has something to do with it. The dog is loving it though.

• Like 14

We saw our first domestic Ch&^%$£s tree on the way home too - 6th November.  #sigh#

:angel: Joy to the world! etc. :music:  Bah humbug!

I don't know if this happens in the UK but in the US there are radio stations that change their whole format and playlist to broadcast nothing but holiday-themed music for the duration of the season. This usually happens around Thanksgiving, but some started yesterday. They go through at least New Years'.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

:angel: Joy to the world! etc. :music:  Bah humbug!

I don't know if this happens in the UK but in the US there are radio stations that change their whole format and playlist to broadcast nothing but holiday-themed music for the duration of the season. This usually happens around Thanksgiving, but some started yesterday. They go through at least New Years'.

Fraggle Rock Radio does become very Ch^%$£ssy, but the week before the event!

As we aren't Christians, we don't bother although don't have an issue with those who do, but I wish they could keep it down to a couple of weeks or so.   My adopted (adult - 30!)  'daughter' manages about three months usually! 

• Like 3

A friend of my sister died recently.  His interests included railways and military history.  I've been appointed "official disposer" of both collections.  No problem with the railway side which is German HO.  But I will need help with the model soldier collection.  I won't see the collection until Christmas but is there an Early Riser who may be able to assist?

Bill

• RMweb Premium

I mentioned my niece and her football exploits earlier. She is fearless between the posts.

She's up for goalie of the month in her league

They encourage as many votes as possible and apparently you can vote every hour (riggable or what?)

So far I've voted 3 times.....

It's the least I can do as she is my US delivery point for railway stuff purchased over there and currently has some awaiting a transatlantic trip in a couple of weeks courtesy of Junior NB.....

Please vote for Katie Maher.

Your votes would be most appreciated.

https://herosports.com/news/vote-d2-womens-soccer-hero-of-the-week-goalie-2018-11-05-cjcj?fbclid=IwAR0_N2ddE3_cPum003SBxgejfkoIxVd6DGZyCrnWRvA5s23Y-dVJ63vA4wI

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

Civic duty discharged. I have voted, even although it's something of a waste of time here  I better say no more.

At least we're a bit more sophisticated up here. The law has since changed but when we lived in Arizona it was illegal to sell alcohol while the polling stations were open. This was to discourage the practice of buying votes with booze. The law was repealed because the politicians found alternative methods.

• Like 3

When I went into Tess Coes today the C*******s carp was already on display, at half price!

This last weekend saw all the stores here renovating their 'seasonal sections'. They were removing their leftover Halloween stock and installing the Christmas items. For the next two weeks some Thanksgiving items (mostly in home goods) will dilute the offerings. The shops will be in full Christmas mode in time for Black Friday - here the day after Thanksgiving, which falls on Thursday the 22nd.

On Saturday the stockists at the Rite Aid (a large pharmacy chain that also doubles as a small, budget 'box store') had their printed corporate-issue, shelf stocking guides taped to the seasonal shelves - chocolate oranges go here, chocolate covered cherries go there etc.

The Rite Aid gets the prize for what I find to be the most incongruous of the Christmas items - Jesus and scriptural themed confections. They have these at Easter as well. Hot cross buns I well understand, but chocolate crosses are just plain weird to me. (Instruments of torture, yum!) I presume these items are for religious customers who do not want to indulge in the pre-Christian / pagan associations of most of the fun things at Christmas and Easter but don't want to miss out either.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12