The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple here.

A good night sleep which makes a change, I first awoke just after 01:00, then thought I'll lie here a bit to see if I can sleep some more, after a few minutes I decided this wasn't going to work got up and went down stairs, turned the TV on and lay down on the sofa... To see in the corner of the news programme, the time.... it 3.5 hours later!!!

Ben the Border Collie disgraced the Wolf race again, while out on  patrol he disturbed a pheasent, when it started squalking he ran back to the house....

Fatchy Pog on the way in, however the bigger delay was the same car as yesterday doing 40 in a 60 limit for mile after mile. I do hope he's not on my route permanently from now on...

Way in, well sort of, no pass card again, I had to hammer on the window to get let in.. I changed trousers for today and I'm expecting I've left my pass in the other pair, being "cargo" trousers the multitude of pockets mean it's easy to miss something.

Playing sketch the trailer hard top for covering the layout, do I go for something aerodynamic, or something vaugely like a railway wagon. Noting this will be towed by that piece of aerodynamic perfection .... a LandRover..

Time to ... take the next measurment

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Looks like there may have been some rain earlier and sunshine and showers are forecast with temperatures up to 15oC.

Still didn't get any paperwork done yesterday, must try harder! As it was a nice morning I washed the car and got rid of the grime accumulated on our Cornish trip. Still need to hoover out the inside so might do that later.

Today's orders have been posted and unsurprisingly we need to visit a shop or two for some Ch######s stuff. Regrettably there are no railway model emporiums nearby.

I note a certain amount of mirth and Hippolarity about my O gauge intentions. You may be right to laugh because just for once funds will shortly be available for me to indulge myself even more. However the space constraints at the moment mean that common sense will   should may possibly prevail.  Ooooh look, I spy a squadron of porcine aviators.   :yes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Playing sketch the trailer hard top for covering the layout, do I go for something aerodynamic, or something vaugely like a railway wagon. Noting this will be towed by that piece of aerodynamic perfection .... a LandRover..

It all depends!

How big is the trailer and how tall is the layout once loaded?

Are you going to use the trailer lid for any covering tasks apart from the layout?

Any aerodynamics you place on the trailer are going to effect the amount of storage over the trailer's bed........ Unless you design some form of deflector that fits over the drawgear.

Are you going to be using it on a weekly basis or just occasionally?

I'd suggest that unless it is a regular occurrence, not to bother.

The PH and I did look into this and decided for our trailer, a simple, heavy duty rubberized canvas tilt was sufficient.  It is also much easier to store when not required for open topped trailer use. (The trailer is a Ifor Williams 4 wheeled eurolight with a 12 x 5 bed).

Probably more important than the solid lid is to have adequate anti theft devices fitted.

In our case, a clamp which we fit to one of the rearmost wheels and a security box which fits over the hitch.  The box can also be put on when the trailer is attached to the car, to stop it being pinched when parked up for a short period and left unattended, such as a a motorway services area. 

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

For some reason I would have been intensely disappointed to hear that HH did not have an Ifor Williams trailer such is the prominence of that gentleman's trailers among the more erudite purchasers of such things.

So far today we have dampness with occasional showers forecast, tomorrow it will of course be persisting down as I have an early appointment with the physioterrorsit, well I think it's a physioterrorist but the letter is about something called MSK which is not in my lexicon of medical thingummyjiggery but presumably involves words like muscular and skeletal and ???.  I have just about remembered why I'm going - why difficult to remember?; I was referred in May (this year).  Anyway we will see what comes.

Today will, i'm told, involve, 'a bit of shopping' but the weather has no doubt knocked the G word nicely on the head.

Enjoy your day one and all.f

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning/afternoon from Estuary-Land. A bit late today as I've just spent half an hour chatting to my new neighbour. Had a rough night last night, I have a slight cold  that manifested itself in the early hours when I woke up with a barbed wire fence stuck in my throat. The cold seems to have abated this morning, just as well.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice folks...

Having done a few sketches of the trailer, it very rapidly became obvious that aerodynamics were NOT going to work, neither was making it look like a wagon, too short too tall..

Tilt

The trailer came with a cover, but it slopes from the 1ft high sides at the front to the 4ft ramp up at the back.

Height,

I need a minimum of 4ft high throughout to clear the layout.

Solution,

A framework would be needed to support a tilt giving a mimumum of 4ft height, so I may as well ply the sides and roof, as it will make it stiffer anyway.

If I use a sheet of ply on it's side for the sides that gives me a minimum of 5ft Above the bed of the trailer. As a concession to aerodynamics / to stop rain collecting on the roof, to make it easier to get in, it will be 5ft 6inches high above trailer bed at the back, 5ft at the front.

Colour,

Castle class Locomotive Green, Manorbier Castle it isn't, More like Urquhart Castle as Tiree is set in the Highlands and Islands, so Highland railways Locomotive Green (not the Stroudly period) it wil be. On the sides, it will have the sausage in a bun totem in light blue, with the words, "Scottish region" TIREE" "N Gauge" on it.

Security,

The Landrover is as much a target as the trailer for theft, The Land Rover has a Disclock on the wheel and several other devices fitted I won't go into here.

The trailer already has a lock in the tow ball socket, an additional lock over the ball socket and I have a wheel clamp. If I'm parked up anywhere strange for a long time, say overnight, a 10 ton anchor chain will be wrapped round the chassis several times, the tow bar steel work and a lamp post if there is one handy. With a couple of Security padlocks holding all on.

The hard top will need securing on, this will have to be inside it, for security But I haven't worked that out exactly yet.

The Hard top will be able to be removed, though I've not had, nor expect to have, a load that won't fit inside the hard top. I do have a chain hoist to lift the hardtop off if required..

That's it for now, unless anyone else can think of anything?

• Like 13

Afternoon all

It would have been morning all,  but had a call from Careline at 6am that mum had pressed her emergency alarm. Got there at 6.30am to be met by ambulance men just packing up their van - nothing wrong they said chirpily, she mistook the alarm for her light switch. They were very good about it, though, saying they'd rather have a happy outcome, which was very generous of them. Popped into mum and had a wee chat, then came home and slept in. Must get her a different switch for the bedside light.

Not only an early call, but fireworks were still banging off at midnight.

Neat work on copper bangles, Brian, they look really good.

Love your 'structure' rhyme, Chrisf, must check it out!

Andyram - good luck with the 'king dog. Many of us have been there.

IanAbel must be in the UK now - hope you have a good time. You mentioned about having to book earlier and earlier for gig tickets - just booked to see stand-up James Acaster at the King's Theatre next November. Stalls full, so row H in dress circle. Kudos for keeping ticket prices to £21.

Hope the cruise goes smoothly, Tony. How's the weather in the Canaries? Hot? Seeing many whales and dolphins there?

Have a good day

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Way in, well sort of, no pass card again, I had to hammer on the window to get let in.. I changed trousers for today and I'm expecting I've left my pass in the other pair, being "cargo" trousers the multitude of pockets mean it's easy to miss something.

Playing sketch the trailer hard top for covering the layout, do I go for something aerodynamic, or something vaugely like a railway wagon.

Make it look like a HST....

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

For some reason I would have been intensely disappointed to hear that HH did not have an Ifor Williams trailer such is the prominence of that gentleman's trailers among the more erudite purchasers of such things.

So far today we have dampness with occasional showers forecast, tomorrow it will of course be persisting down as I have an early appointment with the physioterrorsit, well I think it's a physioterrorist but the letter is about something called MSK which is not in my lexicon of medical thingummyjiggery but presumably involves words like muscular and skeletal and ???.  I have just about remembered why I'm going - why difficult to remember?; I was referred in May (this year).  Anyway we will see what comes.

Today will, i'm told, involve, 'a bit of shopping' but the weather has no doubt knocked the G word nicely on the head.

Enjoy your day one and all.f

MSK where we used to live appears to be a new sort of moneymaking scheme within the NHS, yes it is MuculoSKeletal.  It was used as a sort of filter to try and reduce demand on Orthopaedic consultants and before I could get an appointment about a torn cartilage, I had to attend 3 sessions of physio before I was allowed to book to see the surgeon.  As I told the physio, all the exercises did was make things worth, after all I'd lived with the problem for 34 years and had wimped out of getting it sorted.   I wish you luck.

Jamie.

• RMweb Premium

It's all you lots fault...

I was forced to make bacon, egg, mushrooms and potato cakes for my tea tonight...

Now to settle down to a Muggacoffee and a magazine with the same name as this site that has just arrived.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Very warm and sunny this afternoon in Gran Canaria after a cloudy start. We had a tour of the north part of the island this morning.

It is Aditi’s 65th birthday today. We are having a quiet day, not ignoring Aditi’s birthday but of course remembering that Matthew is no longer here to celebrate with us.

Tony

Anyone else see this news story about a runaway iron ore train in WA? Very Unstoppable! Lucky no lives were lost. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/05/runaway-bhp-train-derailed-no-driver-port-hedland-western-australia

Crikey! Sounds as if someone might have defeated the "sleeping driver" detection system. Surely it would be equipped with something like that?