The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Ian, I'm surprised at this point that you would claim you too don't have sufficient 'points' by now?  MSP - JFW perhaps as often as a biweekly pattern should have you ascending the tiers of a program like (hypothetically) Skymiles. You are of course correct that having a full fare helps a lot, both in upgrade list priority at lower status and in earning status faster..

EDIT: Your later flight explains the open seats in first class too.

With the changes made to the "points" program especially on Delta - the only sensible carrier to take from MSP to almost anywhere - I have only JUST made "GOLD" status this year (as of the return trip last time) and that was because I didn't make it last year and the miles rolled over. Remembering I'm going every third week now not every other...

For reference;

No status = CARP!!! period.

Silver = a shiny silver emblem on your phone boarding card and about nothing else 25-30 on upgrade list not even worth consulting it - annually to qualify 25,000 miles OR 30 segments AND $3,000 tickets

Gold = managing to be 20th (usually, though sometimes as high as 10th) in the upgrade list for no more than 3-4 spare First seats at best - annually 50,000 miles OR 60 segments AND $6,000

Platinum = may often make 1-3 on upgrade list, not that I'll EVER REACH IT as you need  - annually 75,000 miles OR 100 segments AND $9,000

Diamond = YA RIGHT! 125,000 miles OR 140 segments AND $15,000

Even then with their NEW program in place "I" get preferred upgrade over some Diamond holders simply because they rank the upgrades also by cost of ticket, so they cheap Diamond folks who buy the lowest price tickets in hopes of upgrades (used to work perfectly until the system was changed) rank below ME if my ticket price is higher, which is usually is as I only plan two weeks ahead.

Each trip, AT BEST I pay around $650-$750 and get 1,025 miles each way. Figure I do a trip every third week, excluding whoopsies for holiday weekends and some vacation, and you'll see I barely can manage GOLD!

Ticket cost-wise I'll actually make the "Platinum" level since I've got $8,000 banked already, it's the miles/segments that's the killer. Need another 23,000 miles OR 73 segments to make it! :jester:

That ain't gonna happen with the prospect of only two more trips this year :O

I DO enjoy getting upgraded before the Diamond folks though, mean maybe, but it gives me a chuckle ;)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

'ello and evenin' each,

Well my fears were not realised and my parcel didn't go to Sutton Coldfield as it duly turned up here at 11.00AM. Only slight downside is that one buffer was detached but that shouldn't be a problem to put back on. Why haven't I done it already you may ask? When it arrived I inspected it but was then informed that a visit to Sainsbury's was rather necessary, particularly if I wanted some lunch.

This was duly accomplished but when slicing the bread for our lunchtime sandwiches I attempted to add the top of my LH index finger to the filling. After some considerable amounts of blue stuff in the air and red stuff all over the rest of the kitchen the bleeding was just about quenched but I currently have a very sore bound up finger (which is making typing a bit more carp than usual). Because of this I've decided that the buffer can be reattached when I'm in a slightly better mood.

GDB FRCS (Failed)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t have air miles but I have some cruise miles. I get 120 minutes of WiFi now. And an invite on to drinks one lunchtime. With the price of WiFi and alcohol on board that isn’t too bad!

• Like 13

'ello and evenin' each,

Well my fears were not realised and my parcel didn't go to Sutton Coldfield as it duly turned up here at 11.00AM. Only slight downside is that one buffer was detached but that shouldn't be a problem to put back on. Why haven't I done it already you may ask? When it arrived I inspected it but was then informed that a visit to Sainsbury's was rather necessary, particularly if I wanted some lunch.

This was duly accomplished but when slicing the bread for our lunchtime sandwiches I attempted to add the top of my LH index finger to the filling. After some considerable amounts of blue stuff in the air and red stuff all over the rest of the kitchen the bleeding was just about quenched but I currently have a very sore bound up finger (which is making typing a bit more carp than usual). Because of this I've decided that the buffer can be reattached when I'm in a slightly better mood.

GDB FRCS (Failed)

Between us WE ARE A NIGHTMARE, hahha :no:

With the changes made to the "points" program especially on Delta - the only sensible carrier to take from MSP to almost anywhere - I have only JUST made "GOLD" status this year (as of the return trip last time) and that was because I didn't make it last year and the miles rolled over. Remembering I'm going every third week now not every other...

Each trip, AT BEST I pay around $650-$750 and get 1,025 miles each way. Figure I do a trip every third week, excluding whoopsies for holiday weekends and some vacation, and you'll see I barely can manage GOLD!

I had guessed that you would be on the cusp of Skymles Gold status.

From earlier in my career I am lifetime Gold on American AAdvantage (same tier as Skymiles Silver). The lowest tier is next to worthless, other than the opportunity to check-in using the first class line and slightly accelerated boarding. I travel frequently on Alaska but still only make their lowest tier (MVP). Depending on routes and timing upgrades can happen, but not usually. Off-peak improves chances a lot.

Your biggest challenge is your airports. In MSP or JFK half the 'plane probably have some status. You would do better when flying Delta from somewhere not a big hub.

• Like 3

On the subject of Australian wines:

Only joking, as I'm sure they were!

Thank you for posting the Python stuff, really made me laugh. I like Oz wines but Gabe prefers NZ. Other wine-making countries are available and the wine tastes good.

Have a great holiday, Tony.

Hope the pets behave, Pete.

House sold yesterday, subject to missives. Quite a good premium over asking price. Ours sold in a fortnight - a pal a couple of streets away sold today after 9 days on the market. Phew! That's a pretty hot market at the moment.

Mal

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The rain came back with a vengeance after lunch but by sunset had gone but now its turned cold with the temp as low as zero according to the seaweed twirlers. I see GDB is not going to give up his crown without a fight. Thats it for now, time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 17

I had guessed that you would be on the cusp of Skymles Gold status.

From earlier in my career I am lifetime Gold on American AAdvantage (same tier as Skymiles Silver). The lowest tier is next to worthless, other than the opportunity to check-in using the first class line and slightly accelerated boarding. I travel frequently on Alaska but still only make their lowest tier (MVP). Depending on routes and timing upgrades can happen, but not usually. Off-peak improves chances a lot.

Your biggest challenge is your airports. In MSP or JFK half the 'plane probably have some status. You would do better when flying Delta from somewhere not a big hub.

I had a lifetime Platinum on US Airways (cos they did Charlotte to London) what a waste of effort that was..... I did, however fly every other week free First Class return from Greensboro to Newark for about five years though (and stick a guitar in it's case in the long coats cupboard they did prefer that I brought Fenders because the case stood up easier - it being rectangular).

Those were the Golden Days of cheap travel - the mid-eighties to the mid-nineties.

Pete.

Best, Pete.

• Like 14

I don’t have air miles but I have some cruise miles. I get 120 minutes of WiFi now. And an invite on to drinks one lunchtime. With the price of WiFi and alcohol on board that isn’t too bad!

Wait till the cruisers offer free Grass out of New Jersey.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

'ello and evenin' each,

GDB FRCS (Failed)

Oi! copycat that's my trick!! :jester:

Edited by laurenceb

• RMweb Premium

I had a lifetime Platinum on US Airways (cos they did Charlotte to London) what a waste of effort that was..... I did, however fly every other week free First Class return from Greensboro to Newark for about five years though (and stick a guitar in it's case in the long coats cupboard they did prefer that I brought Fenders because the case stood up easier - it being rectangular).

Those were the Golden Days of cheap travel - the mid-eighties to the mid-nineties.

Pete.

Best, Pete.

I've never done any business flying but for many years had a credit card that got me AAdvantage airmiles with American which was very handy when we lived in Leeds as there were several daily flights out of Manchester.  The dratted credit card Co have just severed their tie with American but not before I was able to spend my balance on two one way tickets from Denver to Paris next May.   These will get us back home from our Ruby wedding jaunt that includes a trans pacific cruise.   It's been worth doing over the years.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

My new glasses seem to be working well. ( Varifocals do take an hour or two for your eyes to get used to)

Just booked to see Mark Knopfler at Leeds Arena next year. Forgot this morning so seats are few and far between but we have got some!

Found out  Harvey Nichols in Leeds sell  a very nice New Zealand red Gamay Noir from the Te Mata vineyard not far from Napier. 

https://www.harveynichols.com/search/te%20mata/

A bit more expensive to what I paid in February (NZ$21)

Her indoors likes Villa Maria and Oyster Bay white wines,

My favourite red is Chateau Neuf du Pape... very drinkable!

Now time for a decaf.. then some more sleep!

Night awl

Baz

• Like 17

Evening all, it has actually been dry here most of the day, so some washing was done and dried outside. I waited for a delivery today (sadly not an O gauge terrier, but a new digital projector for the MRC), and it finally arrived just before 5pm. It has been taken to the club tonight and left to test soon. There was great excitement at the club, as our landlord has finally put in a WiFi system, so we have decent internet there for the first time. This was most useful in getting a new laptop (bought to go with the projector), properly configured and linked to the club email etc.

Like others above, I tend to go for Oz red wine and NZ white. My late father used to occasionally purchase very expensive old French red wine for special occasions, and wasn’t impressed when I declared that I would prefer a bottle of Oz red! Needless to say, I don’t go buying expensive French wine!

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

The suns been shining here all day and it’s been quite warm too. Despite saying that I wasn’t going to do anything outside today, I ended up spending all day in the garden. It started off with me just intending to sweep the patio. Whilst doing so, I noticed that a couple of the paving stones hadn’t set straight. So I lifted them and mixed some more mortar and reset them. However, I mixed a bit too much, so I had to find a use for it. It didn’t take long to find something, I quick glance round and I spotted the lions. I’d fixed the bases last week when I cemented in the step but the lions were just sat there. There was just enough mixed to fix them down and they’re looking great now. We’re both pleased with them as they now face each other instead of into the garden.

Jamie. Congratulations to Rachel, hope all goes well.

Goodnight all

• Like 14

Rather surreal moment today. The obituaries in the local paper share a page with news stories. While reading a news story, a particular obituary caught my attention - same first name, middle initial and surname as me. However, he was quite a bit older than me, and the full middle name was different from mine. Glad to know I'm still here!

• RMweb Premium

Awaiting news of one of our club members. Rushed into hospital on Sunday for scans. Gallstones blocking a bile duct. Op scheduled for Monday..told by the tea lady it was postponed till Tuesday then rescheduled to today. I love the BHS but it needs to work as one....

Actuary I worked for early on had his gall bladder removed. He consoled hinself with the knowledge (from his studies) that if he survived the operation he would be rated normal for insurance purposes.

Also that it was one of the earliest operations. Sam pepys had it, after which his diaries became more interesting.

We saw our motorhome today. insurance phoned yesterday telling us they would pay the estimate of many dollars and 85 cents. They think we can have it back by the end of the month. Included is replacing a couple of leaky windows.

• Like 15

Good morning one and all. 

For various reasons yesterday morning I was feeling a bit sorry for myself.  It happens.  Then I read Rick’s post.  It reminded me with some force that there are always others in trouble a lot worse than I am.  This is something I need to remember a bit more often.  Later a good thing happened - the newly released Trials of Cato CD arrived.  I have quite a long car journey on Saturday so it’s in with a good chance of making it to the CD player.  The long journey, by the way, is to Wycrail.  On past form there should be a good turnout of kindred spirits there and I hope that there is enough bread pudding for all.  Anyone hoping to see The Tie will have to wait until Tolworth Showtrain next week!

Members of HMRS should be aware that the latest Journal will be mailed out soon.  Whether my article enhances it or detracts from it is possibly a matter for debate but I have to say that it is not the most obvious place to find my writings and although I am on the editorial board I would not bank on it happening again.

Last night I ventured out in the cold night air to see “Hymns for Robots”, a dramatic production about the life and work of Delia Derbyshire.  It was fascinating but very short – less than an hour.  Never mind, I enjoyed the glass of orange and passionfruit J2O that I sipped during the performance and was happy to be home in time to watch the ever fascinating “Ambulance”.  Truly there are others in trouble a lot worse than I am.

Congratulations to future grandparents Jamie and Beth.  Warm thoughts to all in distress and those who are missing. 

Chris

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, 

The sun has made an appearance and the sky seems to be blue although there is some some frost on the car. It should be a dry, sunny day with temperatures possibly reachng the heady heights of 11oC.

Congratulations to Rachel and to Jamie's pending entry to the Grandad club which I believe to be the best organisation in the world to belong to.

Some domestic stuff to deal with this morning and then hopefully I may get to look at my new toy model properly.

Looking forward to Wycrail tomorrow but will need to arrive early and leave sharpish to get home for rugby. England take on South Africa in the first of 4 Tests over successive weeks with New Zealand, Japan and Australia also on the menu. They have a huge undertaking ahead particularly as so many senior players are missing, mainly because of injury. If they manage to win more than 1 match I will be surprised.

Have a good one,

Sorefinger of Sutton.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 12