The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday Jamie!

Tired out last night after delivering the van back to the hire company.

However, this as achieved in record time and thanks to her indoors we indulged in a meal from our Chinese takeaway at 7:45pm.

I tried to watch the Ghana film but fell asleep. What bits I saw were interesting.

Show went well..positive feedback received which is good. A few potential members have been given details of how to find us...hopefully they will come along!

Today's work list includes putting rolling stock away, marvelling a Ebay sale item up and posting it, visa filling in, fixing bifold bathroom doors (A washer broke allowing it to "fall off") and some crust earning...

Enjoy your day everyone!

Nice to see some of our missing ERs back..hopefully they can stay with us.

Now time for a mugatea!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a sunny Surrey.

Happy birthday Jamie - nice photo of those helpers. cant wait to be back in UP territory, booked the hotel in Tehachapi for my other halfs birthday. Luckily she enjoys watching the trains.

A very busy Taunton show with lots of interest in the layout especially the computer set up and block detection. Still plenty to sort out.

We had the layout down and loaded ready to departure from the venue 31 minutes after we ran the last trains and home in around three hours. Boards still in the car but rest packed away.

• Like 18

The evening was brought to a fitting conclusion with the slow documentary on BBC4 about the Ghan.  I’m in danger of getting excited about my trip Down Under.  How do they cook crocodile?

Chris

If you catch it.

Bill

Edited by bbishop

Oh, God! Now everyone will think my wife likes doing it backwards!

it's the only way... We're still forwards here - bloody dark in the mornings tho'.

Nor'easter passed by on Saturday. Received a message on my 'phone from NOAA warning of Flash Floods due to fallen leaves blocking drains etc. Er, guys, the leaves are still mostly on the trees and green too. Sometimes you just have to look out the window (to see which way the wind blows) instead f looking down from satellites...

Best, Pete.

• Like 17

it's the only way... We're still forwards here - bloody dark in the mornings tho'.

Nor'easter passed by on Saturday. Received a message on my 'phone from NOAA warning of Flash Floods due to fallen leaves blocking drains etc. Er, guys, the leaves are still mostly on the trees and green too. Sometimes you just have to look out the window (to see which way the wind blows) instead f looking down from satellites...

Best, Pete.

Fake news?

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a sunny Surrey.

Happy birthday Jamie - nice photo of those helpers. cant wait to be back in UP territory, booked the hotel in Tehachapi for my other halfs birthday. Luckily she enjoys watching the trains.

I had been in san Bernardino overnight and had the worst McD that I've ever had and was awake early so got up to Cajon at dawn and saw 5 trains in half an hour. Just before I took the photo of Route 66 I'd photographed an 11 unit BNSF power move heading towards LA but as you know I'm a yellow loco man for the US so had to use a UP one. That train with the helpers was very heavy and you could still smell the hot brakeshoes 10 minutes after it went past.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s a frosty start here in the northwest of England. So I might have to succumb and put on a long sleeved shirt today when I start working outside. But first, I have to take a trip to the big orange DIY shed and purchase another bag of cement. Hopefully this will be the last as I only have a dozen slabs to lay, so I’m hoping that it will be done today. I’ll wait until Sheila has left for her Zumba class before I set off as the traffic dies down significantly after the school run has ended.

Jamie. Happy birthday

Ian and Sherry. Happy anniversary.

Back later

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

From a very chilly North Lancashire.

Happy Birthday Jamie.  Happy Anniversary Ian and Sherry.  Generic greetings to everybody else - but a special mention for Chrisf and hope the counselling is of benefit - the fact that you have addressed this yourself is a major step, and sharing it with us here was too.

Off to take Lily for a walk, then de-ice the car, get some fuel, and a session PAT testing at the LASAR shop.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 17

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg
Greetings from the boring borough. 

OSIM. 

Happy Birthday, Jamie.
Happy anniversary Sherry and Ian. 

Little else of note. Managed to get most of the hall painted with an undercoat. If things stay quiet today I may even get the top coat on. One more nibble at the DIY elephant. Still no response from the builder. Looks like an uncontested judgement. Just need confirmation from the court. Also managed to dismantle the massive Ikea Galant corner desk that I'd been using in the shed as a workbench. It has a new home with the offspring. That has freed up a lot of space. The goal is to be able to erect the module by Christmas in order to get a bit of remedial work and some new detailing done before Freemo South in March. I had planned on retiring it but haven't managed to get anything new built, so one more time. 

Coffee and bagel time. Enjoy the day. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Happy birthday young Jamie, happy anniversary Sherry & Ian.

Just a brief visit before departure to the WR&SRCLG but it seems the additional morning sunshine spot created by the trimming and felling of trees has suited one local resident who is out there busy sunning himself while carrying out his morning ablutions.  Spot the fox (the pic will enlarge of course and that will no doubt help - alas taken through glass to avoid the noise giving him a fright although he is made of pretty stern stuff.

post-6859-0-15093000-1540806564_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations to Jamie and Sherry and Ian. I was going to do a bit more in the shed this morning but at the moment its like an ice box in there. Being of single leaf brick construction and attached to the NW corner of the house its no surprise really.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple here,

A good nights sleep of around 7 hours,

Ben the Border Collie approved of the time change this morning, running around like mad,  in the still moon lit garden, but with addition light from the approaching dawn.

We had no Ice but others living further inland have reported  the  scraping of windows...Time I put the anti frost heater on in the mobile home,to protect the water pipes..

The boss lent one of my bits of equipment out which I need, I had to go claim it back to do this weeks work. The Boss will prepare new correction files for another bit of equipment so I can use the spare next week. As mine is due to go to Germany for it's own cal.. The borrower of my equipment will get it in between when I've finished probably Wednesday.

Interuption, I had to go switch a knob on that very piece of equipment, it's computer now informs me I have 40 minutes till the next change. However the company intranet is running like a snail going backwards today ( the results are posted to an excel file after each test, to a drive on the network), I suspect it will be a lot longer.. I'm typing the odd bit of data into a similar file, ready for processing, type a number.... wait... see number appear on screen..

Sailing yesterday was interesting in that few of previous years contestants were around, we had 4 entirely new to us competitors, though they all have sailed elsewhere before..Their big challenge will be the river racing starting next week, as there are few narrow river clubs, most are on broads..

Right the Boss has been in to confirm the programme for that piece of equipment, and due to other work this has taken a long time to type, the 40 minutes and a bit are up..

Time to ... wander down the the other lab to the far end to see if it's ready.

Morning all and happy birthday to Jamie, and happy anniversary to Sherry and Ian.

Frosty start to the day here, but the sun is shining, so it is quite a nice day now. Shopping has been done, and took advantage of a Tesco 25% offer on wine if you buy 6 or more bottles. My C*****mas supply of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc has been purchased! If the interest of being fair to other supermarkets, Asda also apparently have a similar 25% offer, but I went to Tesco first!

Lunch next, then a walk around the village and beach, then a MRC committee meeting tonight. It’s all go!

• Like 15

Happy birthday Jamie, happy anniversary Sherry & Ian

Moanday - though not really much to moan about - yet! :O

Overall good weekend - one of the folks we went to the ELnO gig with managed to make the final five in the Jeff Lynne look-alike contest, sadly the person we all deemed least likely to win, won. Oh well!

Sunday more filling the dumpster with the help of Trevor - instructed to come help an apparently "old buqqer" move the heavier stuff. "I'm 37 I'm not old..."

Comfortable, and ON TIME flight to NY, managed to get to the hotel before 1AM, almost a record. Fairly decent car this time, in the form of a 2018 Chevy Impala. Little squirrely if you floor it, especially on wet surfaces :jester:

11 and cloudy first thing here, but at least dry after an overnight lashing looks like. All moving east, leaving the area supposedly partly sunny and dry with a high of 14 later.

Right back/off to work everyone.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Highly unlikely to be me!

A couple,of years ago,on a cruise we had a change from Summer to Winter Time and a time zone change. We nearly missed our trip departure. Definitely missed breakfast.

Our Trans-Pacific cruise had 6 changes of time zone, including one of two hours and another with a day backwards...…..

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Interesting discovery today on Mrs NHN's newish motor, she had cause to do a good and proper emergency stop, a real tyre squealer, and the hazard lights came on at double speed, presumably as an alert to anyone following.  Maybe triggered by the ABS although we didn't feel it had kicked in to take over, but a nice safety feature we thought.  Do all cars do this sort of thing now?  I haven't seen it before.

One of my Fiestas had the option to turn the feature (heavy brakes = hazard lights) on or off. Later models didn't have it.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Happy Birthday to Jamie. Happy Anniversary to Sherry and Ian. Happy Moan-day to us all.

It is not warm enough. The thermometer was still showing minus-something when I signed on. It failed to register a complete degree of Celsius until well after 8am. Despite all that there is a large yellow thing in the blue stuff being utterly ineffectual in anything other than cosmetic terms.

I have discovered a new thing. If one has music playing, records a video clip of one’s cat which also captures the music playing in the background and then posts the clip on social media one almost instantly receives a warning message on the account stating that the post has been blocked owing to including content I do not own. Too smart by far, I say, when the same social media platform regularly refuses to remove posts of a graphic or offensive nature stating that they do “not breach our community guidelines”.

Ah well Captain Zuckerberg. We choose to use your platform. No-one forces us to do so.

It is time to consider lunch. I shall be back anon. Stay warm. Or as warm as you can manage.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Our Trans-Pacific cruise had 6 changes of time zone, including one of two hours and another with a day backwards...…..

Cheers,

Mick

I think our next one stays on GMT the whole time. Unless I have misunderstood it appears that the Canary Islands are in the same time zone as Portugal and the UK even though they are Spanish. Makes sense given their location I suppose.

Tony

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Should you get the urge or the opportunity to drive across Australia taking in the Nullarbor Plain then you could start from Melbourne on Eastern Standard Time, pass through Adelaide in South Australia which is 30 minutes earlier, then through the remote area including the tiny settlements of Eucla, Madura and Mundrabilla which are 45 minutes earlier again before reaching Western Australia which is another 1 hour and 15 minutes earlier. Except in summer when Melbourne observes Eastern Daylight Saving Time and the others are an additional hour earlier.

Got that?

• Like 7