The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Somewhat ironically/coincidentally in light of Simon's post, I was about to type that I also fitted a chip to a Dapol yesterday, courtesy of said emporium, after the chip I had previously purchased elsewhere caused my loco to either creep along or act like a Scalextric racing car. As the same duff chip graces one of my other locos it may be time to replace that too now that I've narrowed the cause down.

Good to see posts by Ian, Sherry and Rick. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

No snow here but it is pouring with rain. We slept in an extra couple of hours just to make sure. I have been round and rebooted a couple of radio controlled clocks that don’t reset,unless the battery is removed. They were very cheap though! Last year I adjusted the central heating timer before we went to bed and then discovered it adjusted automatically for summer/wintertime. I left it alone this year!

We will be visiting a neighbour today. She has been in considerable discomfort with 2 abdominal hernias. She had a date for an operation in July 2019. Last week she booked in for a private appointment and was operated on on Friday. The surgeon found an extra hernia that was probably causing the most pain.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Glad to see Sherry and Ian back, I think we all want to hear more of the goings on in Le Sarthe, beats the soaps hands down. Glad to see Rick back again also, I seem to have missed the reasons for the departures though I did report a blatantly political post that promptly disappeared. While I was out yesterday a signed for parcel arrived so I will have to nip down to the sorting office to collect it. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning again. G work (Not spot Mick NB) has been done and the two bushes in the front garden now look a heck of a lot better without their bindweed, Ivy and Bramble suckers. I have come to detest Ivy but can't help admiring it's tenaciousness and it was very obviously a home for many invertebrates . These included many snails that saw the light of day. I did think of contacting Pierre across the road to see if he wanted them for his lunch. A good log fire is now burning, courtesy of Beth's skills. Hopefully I may get to spend the afternoon in the shed.

Welcome back to Ian. The presence of trolls and the unnecessary attacks never ceases to amaze me. There have been some very interesting exchanges on the HS2 thread and one popped up last week who seemed to want us all to got back to the stone age but was remarkably quiet about his own current lifestyle choices. Thankfully things seem to have calmed down when people have been challenges as to sources and some real facts have been explained.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The G word has been trotted out, several times, by the management so whether it will be continuing the clearing of leaves etc left by the tree trimmers or tackling the brambles they didn't squash or destroy or taking on another area decreed by herself the day will tell.  Thank goodness it is the 'WR/SR Controllers' Liaison Group' meeting tomorrow in what used to be called The Molly Millar in Wokingham.  Welcome back Dudders and Ashcombe plus our correspondent from Cla'am and the hill of strawberries.

So time soon to visit TE's co for the 'papers and then home to the cutters and rakes.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s a beautiful sunny day here in the northwest of England. We had our usual Sunday morning lie-in and I’m just about to finish off my second muggertea. Then I’m off outside to continue work on the patio, although I’ve run out of cement, I’m going to dig the foundations for the stone step that will lead to what will be the new locator the garden path. I’ll also intend to set a step at the other end where the shed and workshop are located, but that can wait until I’ve finished all the heavy barrow work.

Ian and Sherry, welcome back

Enjoy the day, back later

• Like 15

Belated morning all, all, hope all's well, all ;)

Considering we and several of our neighbours were struck by 'garden shed burglars' a few nights ago I'm in quite a chipper mood today, it must be the sunny weather we're enjoying in our little corner of Warwickshire. Our household is now deficient in the long handled tree loppers department to the tune of one, but at least said thieving scrotes didn't break into any of the houses or garages in the area, which is a relief. The attending ociffer of the law was very sympathetic and handed out some free mini alarms which are set to go off at 130 decibels, so if wee Willy scrotebag returns for another go there's a chance he'll be disturbed and very likely deafened should he wish to purloin more free stuff purchased with other folk's hard earned pounds, shillings and pence. Our neighbour's were relieved of several garden spades, forks, rakes, a lawn mower and a broken coffee machine which will probably end up on a local 'for sale' facebook group.

I'm now imaging said scrotes being bayonetted by Corporal Jones in fine 'they don't like it up em' style, daft I know but, well, what else can you do?

Stay safe all!

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Premium

Belated morning all, all, hope all's well, all ;)

Considering we and several of our neighbours were struck by 'garden shed burglars' a few nights ago I'm in quite a chipper mood today, it must be the sunny weather we're enjoying in our little corner of Warwickshire. Our household is now deficient in the long handled tree loppers department to the tune of one, but at least said thieving scrotes didn't break into any of the houses or garages in the area, which is a relief. The attending ociffer of the law was very sympathetic and handed out some free mini alarms which are set to go off at 130 decibels, so if wee Willy scrotebag returns for another go there's a chance he'll be disturbed and very likely deafened should he wish to purloin more free stuff purchased with other folk's hard earned pounds, shillings and pence. Our neighbour's were relieved of several garden spades, forks, rakes, a lawn mower and a broken coffee machine which will probably end up on a local 'for sale' facebook group.

I'm now imaging said scrotes being bayonetted by Corporal Jones in fine 'they don't like it up em' style, daft I know but, well, what else can you do?

Stay safe all!

I strongly suspect that you may wish to use the said loppers to remove their Scr**a and their contents.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Hmm, I posted the word scro...m the other day in reference to leather, it ended up as hash signs, but I see you can type ######. (Edit - no you can't - but ChrisF typed it a couple of days ago - how odd, or have I just been moderated?) USA naughtiness detector then!

Nice crisp sunny day here, another 8c but 'feels like nowt' though! Lovely views, the air quality is superb today, we could see the colours in the fields in Scotland and over Simon's way in Cumbria.

Nice to see returnees to ER's, who have been sadly missed for some time.  You are amongst friends.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

I'm back from the moorings, so it's time for a sailing report.

I had forgotten today's racing was on Black horse broad, as we traditionally do the weekend before the broad is closed for the winter (31st Oct).

The course for today the starting line was across the bottom right hand side of the Broad.

From there we sailed to mid left hand side directly into the wind, turned right round buoy 5, across the wind to the mid right of the broad. Turned left round-trip bouy X and headed directly into the wind to buoy 1 in the top left hand corner. Then across the top of the broad to buoy 4 a right turn there, then a run all the way down to buoy 3 behind the start line. Then it was time for lap 2etc..

Race 1, reasonably strong wind with some gusts.

We didn't start well, 5th of 6 but only a few seconds being the others, we decided the right hand side of the course would be better, so we talked onto port and went up that side of the course before tacking back for the buoy, in doing so we overtook one boat that went the other way. Everyone just about held position to the next bouy, on turning left there we again held on the right hand side before turn across the broad to buoy 1. Again we over took another boat that went across the broad early.. That put us in 3rd..

Once round buoy four we pulled up the spinnaker to run down to buoy 3. Or rather the spinnaker was jammed half way up, we had a rope wrongly rigged. So we had to get it down again, by the time we were sorted, we were back down to forth..

So we rounded buoy 3 to start lap 2, we rapidly gained third again by sticking to using the right hand side of the course. While closing up with the boat in second place, we held third till buoy 4, where we hauled up the spinnaker again. This time it went up.... But was knotted itself in the middle, so down it came again and my compatriot sorted it, as it was stuffed back in its basket.

Then to lap three, we all held our places this time although we closed up on the second place boat. On rounding buoy 4 up went the spinnaker again.. Third time lucky it worked, and on the long run down we overtook boat 2 to become second which we held to round buoy 3and cross the finish line...

Race two. Similar wind.

A better start in third, again The right hand side was best, but the other boats knew this by now as well, we all roughly held position for lap 1 just closing up with boat 2 on the run down to 3 again. We overtook the second place boat in the close hauled tacking up to buoy 1. Rounding buoy 4 got the spinnaker up and seriously closed up on the first place boat on the way to buoy 3. From there to buoy x we dogged the tail of the lead boat. On turning right towards buoy 5 we had the slower boats in our way, the lead boat elected to sail on the leeward side of the slow boats as it was a more direct route. We went to windward of the slow boats looking for more wind. We got it, and we're just in the lead but overlapped with the other boats as we rounded the buoy, this left them getting our dirty air as we held the right hand side of the course. So the ducked our stern and went across the broad early, however not only did they cross early but they held that way too long. So we arrived at buoy 1 way in the lead. This we held to the finish.

After sail to the club for lunch, then back the third start was delayed due the start boat having dragged her moorings. At this time some very black clouds went past, we had white topped waves on the water. When we did start, the wind was still very high

Race 3,

We started in second, and held close to the lead boat, on rounding buoy 4 up spinnaker again, we overtook to become lead boat. Once round buoy 3 we discovered the other boat could sail closer to the wind than we could so they passed us to the next buoy.

We followed them to buoy 4 again overtaking on the way to 3. The wind dropped severely at this time, and we got a good lead. This we held for the entire lap. So winning the race and the trophy.

Well after that it was put the boat way and home.

I've now had sausage and chips followed by blackberry and apple crumble, I'm expecting eye inspection shortly..

Goodnight...

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

As we don’t wish to be tired and frazzled when we eventually go on on holiday we have been packing and sorting out documents today.

Sorting out the clothes to satisfy evenings with dress codes is easy. The weather for most of the destinations ashore is forecast to be warm with showers or cloud. The return trip is cool and dry. I think we will do a “if in doubt take it”. We are not flying so as long as each case is under 21kg we can take up to the payload of the car. I have sorted out all the documents and tickets.

According to every route planner the trip to,Southampton from here is about 2 hours 20 minutes. It never had been on any of our trips. Which is why we go a day early. The first time we went in a cruise from Southampton we were in a traffic jam in Southampton a couple of hours before the ship was due to sail. When we set off we were worried about being too early for the parking!

We have stayed the same Southampton hotel in the past but we are trying another one this time. The hotel was fine but the included dinner package was awful. So not staying there again. Or ever eating at at anywhere that particular alleged chef has a franchise in!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Tonight I shall watch the programme on BBC4 about the Ghan, the luxury train which runs from Darwin to Adelaide via Alice Springs and which I shall be riding myself in February.  It will be interesting to see what I have let myself in for!  

mb_197608_05_30_tn.jpg

One of the The Ghan's luxury sleeping cars at Alice Springs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Parcel collected from sorting office and unpacked, everything in order as one would expect from Hong Kong. Only down was a long queue at the sorting office, only one postie on duty instead of two so it took 20 minutes to get to the front of the queue.

• Like 14

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Parcel collected from sorting office and unpacked, everything in order as one would expect from Hong Kong. Only down was a long queue at the sorting office, only one postie on duty instead of two so it took 20 minutes to get to the front of the queue.

I ordered some lithium batteries from the place of the Greek lady warriors earlier in the week. We don't get mail deliveries on Sunday, but Am*zon has a deal with the Post Office to deliver "Prime" packages on a Sunday. The batteries arrived here this morning. It's a bit ridiculous really because we are twenty miles from the post office and they probably had to make a trip just for us.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well the sun has shone all day and it’s been really nice outside today. I’ve made a bit more progress on the patio. The foundations are now in for the stone step and also for our two cast stone lions, which will now face each other, instead of facing into the garden. It now means that we get a better view of them both from the back door. Once I had finished that little task, I did a little tidying up in the garden, clearing away fallen leaves and a few weeds etc. I also picked the first of my apple crop, taking 7 from the tree, up there are still over a dozen or so. Our tree has always been a late cropper, but this year’s crop are particularly tasty, as I had one after dinner.

We’ve also had new that Mike was due to be discharged from hospital this afternoon, but we’ve not had confirmation as yet, so we assume that this didn’t happen. When he finally gets out, he’ll be off work for approximately 2 weeks.

Goodnight all

• Like 14

Good morning one and all and many happy returns to Jamie

I enjoyed making the big beef stew yesterday.  Even with seconds there is plenty left for later in the week.  Later in the afternoon I printed some labels so that the production line for the C*****mas cards may be set up and creak into action.  Yes, I know it isn’t November yet.  Humour me.  The evening was brought to a fitting conclusion with the slow documentary on BBC4 about the Ghan.  I’m in danger of getting excited about my trip Down Under.  How do they cook crocodile?

In the week ahead, tonight sees the AGM of the Bedford Commuters Association.  It will be interesting to hear what managers have to say for themselves about the timetable meltdown and the ridiculous reconfiguration of the Midland Main Line timetable.  On Wednesday the Bletchley chapter of the HMRS meets to learn something about coal traffic.  Thursday sees a play in Bedford about Delia Derbyshire – culture indeed! - and on Saturday, after attending Wycrail in High Wycombe, I will enjoy Moore Moss Rutter in Dunton near Biggleswade.

I can now tell you that I have submitted a request for counselling help to a local practitioner.  I am grateful to the kind and thoughtful RMwebber who prodded me into doing it.  For some time I have been aware that my mental health needs fixing and the time has come to do something about it.  How timely will be the announcement by the Chancellor of £2bn additional funding for mental health.  Let us see what happens in due course.

Warm thoughts to all in distress and those who are missing. 

Chris

Morning All,

It's great to see Sherry and Ian back again!

We have another fairly autumnal morning, but there seems to be slightly less wind than there was yesterday.  I went for a walk yesterday afternoon, and it was bitter cold in the wind.

On Saturday, we spent some time refurbishing the guest bedroom and making it look a little more welcoming.  Over the years, it has become a bit of a junk room - which isn't exactly what you want when it is to be used as a guest room!  I have also moved my layout upstairs - with the hope that I will actually do something with it, rather than leaving it forgotten in the guest bedroom.

That was supposed to be the last of the DIY projects for a while - but as always with an old house, it had other ideas.

This morning, while getting ready to come to work, Mercedes was putting her shoes on and said:

"I just felt something land on my head".

"Oh, what?"

"Feels like water"

"Uh oh!"

"Yes, definitely water - I just felt another drip"

The shower is right above, and I know that the silicone is past its best, but I know what I'll be doing tonight!  Hopefully it is nothing more than needing re-siliconing.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1