The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.(it was morning when I started typing)

Sunny here. We are not going anywhere today that would require use of our satnavs. I find them to be very useful and mine has never instructed me to mount a pavement and hit a bridge. The route to Chelmsford is interesting. There is the original route, the bypass road, and finally the bypass bypass route..

I think checking the drains needs to become part of my routine household maintenance. This is the second time fat has set like concrete in the same spot. We always try to avoid putting stuff down the sink that could congeal but it still happened. I ordered a pipe cleaning attachment for my pressure washer yesterday. It arrived early this morning. Perhaos I will try it out this afternoon. I had to restrain myself from purchasing an IP68 rated endoscope attachment for my phone.

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

AndyB.

The shop in Hawkwell was probably Blackwells of Hawkwell. They moved to quite a big shop opposite Chalkwell Park on the London Road. They then moved to retail premises in Rochford near the station. I think they are now just import wholesale for various items.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

AndyB.

The shop in Hawkwell was probably Blackwells of Hawkwell. They moved to quite a big shop opposite Chalkwell Park on the London Road. They then moved to retail premises in Rochford near the station. I think they are now just import wholesale for various items.

Tony

Thanks, Tony.

Blackwells; that's the one I was thinking of!  I think they used to advertise a lot in RM - back in the day.

Just took a look at  Google Maps and one business that has remarkably survived near Chalkwell Park under its original ownership is the cycle shop, James Browning & Daughter. Spent a lot of money in there over the years. 

There used to be a smallish model shop just down the road from the The Elms, not so far from the grocer you frequent.  It now appears to be a Nepalese restaurant. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Dr Debs update.

Many thanks for that John, greatly appreciated.

Afternoon All

Managed to get caught up, and as usual, greetings are sent to the ailing and the celebrating.

Was hoping for an easy day here, but an 08.00 start resulted in "a bit of tidying of the back bedroom and the office room"  and then the H word was mentioned (that's hoovering for the uninitiated), and I decided to clean the hoover first, and washed the filter, which used to be my excuse for not using it, but of course, 30747 remembered that we now have two filters, and pointed this out before I was able to say that the hoovering could not be done.  So the end result is two tidier rooms, and a load more stuff into the eaves (we don't use the loft since I had my hop replacement) which are now competely full.

Not a lot more to report.

Back tomorrow (hopefully)

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Tony.

Blackwells; that's the one I was thinking of!  I think they used to advertise a lot in RM - back in the day.

Just took a look at  Google Maps and one business that has remarkably survived near Chalkwell Park under its original ownership is the cycle shop, James Browning & Daughter. Spent a lot of money in there over the years. 

There used to be a smallish model shop just down the road from the The Elms, not so far from the grocer you frequent.  It now appears to be a Nepalese restaurant.

The shop near the Elms was Ray Rippon Model Railways and Cycles. Sold me a Jidenco Claughton kit. Perhaps I should have stuck to white metal kits. Later on there was Rickatrack near Southchurch Park.
  • Like 2

The shop in Hawkwell was probably Blackwells of Hawkwell. They moved to quite a big shop opposite Chalkwell Park ...

Well, well, well!

Edited by pH
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ray Rippon! I believe many of the Superquick kits for my birthdays came from there! Come to think of it I've still got a couple of locos from there squirreled away :)

Tony, you're a treasure trove of local knowledge. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The shop near the Elms was Ray Rippon Model Railways and Cycles. Sold me a Jidenco Claughton kit. Perhaps I should have stuck to white metal kits. Later on there was Rickatrack near Southchurch Park.

One of the worst kits to build and even harder to paint and line in LNWR livery...even from Jidenco....

Evening all...some crust earning almost completed, another one on its way.

Herself has done her tax return, I suppose I should do mine now. pah!

Watching the GP drinking a nice white wine from Madeira.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Just back from drifting and not always in a forward direction

The race officer for the Trip Icicle race, decided to start at Horning waterworks, about 3 or four miles down river from the club. So the very large entry of 51 boats motored or got towed down there. We were in the third class start with 6 other yeomans we started err 6th, right place just not far enough forward. However after a few hundred yards we moved up to 4th.

Once round the second corner it was up spinnaker, this did not go well as we had a guest 3rd crew and he was not familiar with our boats set up. So my sailing compatriot who normally handles the spinnaker went forward to sort the mess out and I took over the helm. The spinnaker then was raised and we got going properly.

After a couple of miles we became third in our class and then turned at Thurne mouth down towards Acle. At that point we dropped the spinnaker, as it was long tack short tack. We finally saw the lead two Yeomans and started slowly catching them.

By the time we were at the next bouy (on the first corner up river from the bridge. )

We were close behind, we then set off on a broad reach up river. We however had looked at the tide tables, and kept close to the bank out of the tide. The others kept further out for better wind. We slowly caught and overtook once the spinnaker was up. We kept ahead all the way up past womack Dyke. Before turning at the next bouy.

At that point chaos ensued as several big sailing cruisers finally caught up and in the tacking we the two places back to third place in the Yeoman class. Once clear of the chaos we started gaining again, so that by Thurne mouth we were close behind again then as we tacked back up the Bure more sailing cruisers caught up holding us back.

At Ant mouth we were forced to tack by lack of wind, sadly we were well and truly rammed by another yeoman on port tack. While sorting that out we dropped back to fifth.

Eventually we reached the waterworks again expecting to stop there, sadly no the finish was much further on. At the next corner there was a huge traffic jam of boats unable to make headway against the tide.. You'd get a puff of wind and move to the front, then it would stop and you'd drift back. After about an hour the rest of the race was abandoned for those of us stuck there. Only 19 finished out of the 51. No yeoman finished..

Time for a bath and bed..

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

One of the worst kits to build and even harder to paint and line in LNWR livery...even from Jidenco....

Evening all...some crust earning almost completed, another one on its way.

Herself has done her tax return, I suppose I should do mine now. pah!

Watching the GP drinking a nice white wine from Madeira.

Baz

Recommendations for nice white wines from Madeira would be appreciated. We will be there in November. We will be on a cruise ship that does allow passengers to take locally purchased wine on board. Some others confiscate it, others keep it until you dock back home.

I will wait for Bachmann or Hornby to make a Claughton. I put it on the wish list every year. More chance of getting a Fell diesel I expect.

Tony

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Gave Tesco's a miss today, even the access roads are blocked by people looking for a way past the roadworks so I went to Asda instead, I was going into Basildon anyway to get a magazine from W H Smiths. Now to watch the rest of the Amercan G P, be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Recommendations for nice white wines from Madeira would be appreciated. We will be there in November. We will be on a cruise ship that does allow passengers to take locally purchased wine on board. Some others confiscate it, others keep it until you dock back home.

I will wait for Bachmann or Hornby to make a Claughton. I put it on the wish list every year. More chance of getting a Fell diesel I expect.

Tony

Tony

we like the TERRAS do AVO.. best price was obtained at D'Oliveiras a Madeira wine company. It is near the Jesuit College. 

post-7650-0-93499600-1540151126_thumb.jpg

they do a nice red as well.

As for the Fell..Judith Edge Kits do one now......

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well I did manage to get a bit of work done on the patio this morning, but as we were eating dinner, it started to rain. It was looking like rain when I went inside, so I decided to put the open bag of cement in the shed, which turned out to be a been a good idea. So once I’d finished my dinner, I went back outside, cleaned off all my tools etc and then packed up for the day. After that I retreated to the workshop for the afternoon. I then removed the sound chip from the BoB I’d been working on and converted it back to DC. I then gave it a run on my test track and it ran very nicely, (which it did prior to having the chip fitted) so I’m even more convinced that the chip is faulty. So, once I’ve refitted the speaker I’ll get in contact with Hornby and enquire about returning it. This is the first sound chip that I’ve had which hasn’t worked properly.

Goodnight folks

• Like 15

Jamie's high-pressure dome seems to extend as far as the Pacific Northwet. It's been nonstop sunshine here for a couple of weeks.

Much the same here Andy. We are expecting a change and the possibility of showers mid-week.

We're at our 'peak' colour too - such as it is. Most of my trees are bashful. They are not nearly in full colour yet, though many in the neighbour hood are. Your street scenes look much the way it is here. We will see some residual colour here through Thanksgiving.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

Good morning one and all, I hope

Yesterday Apple Day was held at Bromham Mill, just west of Bedford.   There were no apples on sale.  Only in Bedford could this happen.  I bought two Bedfordshire Clangers, a jar of marmalade, a jar of mango chutney and a blackberry and apple pie which will last several days.  There was some rather nice cider on sale though.  I enjoyed the rhubarb flavoured one a lot and the raspberry flavoured one nearly as much.  Overall the event was a disappointment and if something clashes with it in future years, too bad.

Earlier, I found myself crying just before 8 am for no apparent reason.  Experience tells me that this usually heralds an outbreak of depression.  Please, no, not again!  As soon as I had done the laundry I crawled under the duvet for an hour or so, which was not a bad idea as I had slept badly the previous night.  As I write this there have been no further symptoms so with any luck it was a false alarm.

Harry and I had peace talks last evening.  Saturday’s conversation had started with me paying him some genuine compliments before he picked a fight that neither of us could win.  It was a good job that he closed down the discussion before I lost my temper.  We have agreed to move on but I fear that the peace is an uneasy one.

I plan to leave early for The Stables this evening so that I may call in at Morrisons, who kindly sent me some coupons, to see if they have some of the items which it was beyond Tesco to supply on my last visit, own brand custard being the chief sin of omission.  Before that there is a distressing possibility that there will be ironing to do.

Warm thoughts to all in distress and those who are missing. 

Chris

• Like 2

Morning All,

We had quite a busy weekend, but managed to get quite a lot done.  I spent Saturday doing the washing and also making our patio door shutter work properly again.  It is electrically driven, and although it would open and close correctly, the limit switches had stopped working properly.  Fine if you happen to be standing right next to the door, but likely to cause problems if one of us forgets, presses the button and walks away!

I'm not really sure what the problem was, but having readjusted the limit switches, it is now working.

This morning is one of the first really autumnal mornings.  It is pretty chilly, and the leaves are now starting to fall.  Not before time!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the land of the High Pressure Dome (That's a new description for me). It is forecast to be cloudy today but it is looking quite nice at the moment although it's down to about 10 degrees outside.

The open mike afternoon went very well and Beth's songs were well received. It might have been better of one or two of the acts had not turned up, the usual triumph of self belief over ability was in evidence but overall we thoroughly enjoyed it. Then after we got home we went out for a walk round the village. We called in to see some friends to see how they were. Claude has been in hospital with heart problems and the full story had got a bit lost in translation. Two glasses of Pineau later we had got the story. Claude has had an angiogram and is due back in hospital later this week for some sort of restorative procedure but the doctors are still deciding what to do. It was good to see them and offer what little support we can.

When we got back I watched the GP and enjoyed it. This morning I'm off shortly to give a neighbour a lift home from the garage that's going to do some work on her car. Not sure what else will be done but hopefully some muddling will take place.

Thoughts are with Debs and others, Chrisf I hope that the black dog does not return. I hope that we hear from Ivan and Andyram soon.

Regards to all

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 17