The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Is there some kind of Chinese celebration in October? We have 3 takeaways in town ( no sit downs) and all are closed for a large part of Oct and at the same time (no fireworks involved).

Beautiful blue sky here and today no sea mist to hide Shaldon.

It's amazing what you can do at your local consulate these days. "Rogues" can rock up to a Consulate with a bone cutting expert and and instigate a fight with apparent ease.

In Embassies of course, it is different, you must keep your room clean and look after your cat.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from a sunny part of France where the high pressure is still pushing the rain towards Fraggle Rock and Scotland. Cool this morning but now it's over 20 degrees. Beth and I have spent the morning doing various things in the garden. Beth has finished tidying a border and I started to remove a low growing but spreading fir tree that had got too big. That was removed down to a stump starting with secateurs then the bow saw and finally the chain saw. After that I cut the remains of a pine tree into 15" lengths ready for splitting. A second coffee has now been consumed and lunch will be ready when Beth has finished talking to a neighbour. It could be some time.

Richard, very sorry to hear about Elsa. When the same happened to our first cat, Beth and I took a bottle of wine to a bench nearby and watched the sunset and raised a glass. I might just do that tonight.

Regards to all,

Jamie

• Like 7

My dog died in the vets surgery within minutes of me rushing her there. I was made to wait outside so I wasn't with her at the end,  she just had strangers there -  that still cuts me up today thinking about it.

Richard -  at least Elsa was with people she loved, that would have made it so much easier for her.

I have a parrot now, not as pattable as a dog and he's crap at bringing balls back  but he says good morning to me every day and goodnight when I cover him up.

Given his lifespan is 60 years plus he will outlive me, so I'll hopefully not have to face that parting again. Just got to figure out who to leave him to.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday evening I was feeling much better and then Aditi mentioned that she had noticed waste water from the kitchen appearing near the downpipe. I had a look down the rodding point and water was not going down. Overnight application of chemicals had no effect. In the end I resorted to chiselling out the fat-berg with a chisel and old screwdriver. Luckily I have long arms.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Richard - my sympathies are with you this afternoon, and I always remember a vet friend of mine who said that we don't own a dog, we look after it for the time that we have it for, and that when we have to say goodbye, this is really for the best, and is the last act of love which we can perform for it. 

I've been away for a few days (I don't mention this now on social media) and having returned, have now managed to catch up, and to read and rate every post since I was last here - took some time, I must say, so I can only add generic greetings.

Fodder run late yesterday, and a check of the bank and credit card to check for unauthorised transactions have been the highlights of the last two days, and a visit to my brother in Scotland for a very enjoyable meal, and a coffee with my cousin were the highlights of the previous few days, together with a visit to my favourite butcher and baker for siced sausage, fruit pudding, pies, tattie scones, and Scottish crumpets (more like a flat sweet Scotch pancake).

No A6 boot tomorrow, even if it's on.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

The boat launch was successful, the yard has a neat little piece of equipment, you control it by walking behind like a lawnmower, but it has a brake for each side as it has tracks. On its nose is a tow ball. It made life very easy for the boatyard hand to manoeuvre the trailer. As for getting in the front door, just as it looks like it will hit the top of the door the trailer wheels start dropping down the ramp and it continues down to the river.

The boatyard offered a wash and clean of the boat for £20, the boat had lived under a tree for the summer. So my compatriot accepted.

We then rigged the boat and then drifted up to the club, did some final set up before packing her away till tomorrow.

Just as I was leaving I could see some people looking at a Yeoman, they came over to ask about it, so I was able to help them and then took them for the grand tour of the club and boats..

When I got home Ben the Border Collie hadn't been out as there was very close shooting, he even needed to be took on the lead to go to the mobile home. So we took him down the beach which he loves. It's October the 20th the beach is in the north sea... There were children and adults in the water..

Time for a Muggacoffee then something to eat, I fancy a haggis.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Sympathies are passed to family HH - been there, done that, it never gets any easier but a replacement helps. 

Spent the day rushing about, trying to re-arrange insurance for our vehicles, due to Debs new car and other changes.  Local brokers not open Saturdays....#sigh#  Manxness.  Another one is open, but can't do much on.....Saturdays.  More Manxness.  Gave up and phoned Adrian Flux (the campervan is with them) - sorted.  Money lost from local businesses due to Manxness.  Then they have a 'buy local' campaign. #sigh again#.  Went for an ice-cream - better.

Jamie hasn't managed to send that rain here yet, although it looks like it isn't far off. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Richard, I was so sorry to read your news. Deepest sympathies from all chez moi.

A semi constructive day here with some wiring work done to complete the current layout. *

Time now for a glass of something and a read through a pile of old railway mags whilst the other family members watch Come Prancing.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a good day at the Chelmsford show despite it taking almost two hours to get there. The reason was the A13 was closed for roadworks which I didn't discover until I was caught up in the traffic. I managed to find my way to the A127 and then pick up the A130 at Battlesbridge but then not being familiar with the road layout there I found myself going the wrong way down the A130. Coming back the roads were clear so I decided to pop into Tesco's which upon leaving I found almost all the exits were gridlocked except onto the westbound A13 so I came home that way.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a good day at the Chelmsford show despite it taking almost two hours to get there. The reason was the A13 was closed for roadworks which I didn't discover until I was caught up in the traffic. I managed to find my way to the A127 and then pick up the A130 at Battlesbridge but then not being familiar with the road layout there I found myself going the wrong way down the A130. Coming back the roads were clear so I decided to pop into Tesco's which upon leaving I found almost all the exits were gridlocked except onto the westbound A13 so I came home that way.

We got letters addressed,to “The Occupier” warning us about A130 roadworks. The A13 roadworks are remedial bridge works. The interchange seems to require a lot of work for something completed in time for the 2012 Olympics. The project ran late.

I didn’t go out, Aditi just went to the local shops. We will head east rather than west tomorrow if we need anything.

Phil, if you were near Battlesbridge Mill you could have visited the model railway shop there. I haven’t been yet but I have spoken to them at exhibitions.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

We got letters addressed,to “The Occupier” warning us about A130 roadworks. The A13 roadworks are remedial bridge works. The interchange seems to require a lot of work for something completed in time for the 2012 Olympics. The project ran late.

I didn’t go out, Aditi just went to the local shops. We will head east rather than west tomorrow if we need anything.

Phil, if you were near Battlesbridge Mill you could have visited the model railway shop there. I haven’t been yet but I have spoken to them at exhibitions.

Tony, last time I visited Battlesbridge. in June the model shop was closed for the annual holidays. I do intend to visit the shop sometime in the near future.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

A little more progress has been made on the patio today. I’m now just shy of the halfway point, so I’m hoping that a few more days will see it finished. Once it’s all done, I’ll leave it to harden off and set I can point it and generally tidy it up. I think however, I’ll have to buy another bag of cement before it’s finished, as so far I’ve already used 2 bags. But I shall wait until mid week before I go off the big orange DIY shed to get some more.

For a change we had a Chinese for tea tonight, sweet and sour chicken for me and chicken curry for the boss, I’m not a great fan of Chinese curry, much preferring the Indian varieties. This was followed by a nice Malbec.

Goodnight all

• Like 16

Greetings, for in all honesty I cannot describe it as a good morning.  Harry and I had a serious e-disagreement last evening.  I hope we can salvage something from the wreckage.  Up to then it had been a good day.  On my way to Uckfield I paid the first of what could be many visits to the Barrel Vault, the new ‘Spoons at St Pancras.  First impressions are favourable.

On Friday I took the C*****mas round robin to the copy bureau and had multiple copies made.  That will finally stop me fine-tuning the text!  The first copies will be in the hands of their lucky recipients in about four weeks, purely because I will be seeing the people concerned.  All (!) I have to do now is print the address labels, stick them to the envelopes and scrawl on the cards.  I should be able to get that done in a month.

Today Apple Day is being held at Bromham Mill, just west of Bedford.  There will be tasty things for sale, including apples, naturally.   It’s not been the same since the Council got involved but there will be an opportunity to sample decent cider in small doses. If the usual traders are there I will stock up with apple juice – unfermented! – which will make a nice change from bland so-called tropical juice in a cardboard box at breakfast.

In the week ahead I have a gig at The Stables on Monday night with Emily Barker headlining and Jack Carty supporting, again.  On Tuesday I’m back at the Slaughtered Lamb looking forward to the Drystones, on Thursday with Poorly Pal and on Saturday at a meeting of a music appreciation group in London.   In between all that I have some captions to write, though whether I will be able to concentrate is a moot point.

Warm thoughts to all in distress, me included, and those who are missing. 

Chris

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Going to the Moorings Awl, inner Temple Here,

About 7 hours very broken sleep.

I'll doze or laze on the sofa for another 15 minutes before getting up for Ben the Border Collie's patrol, a small breakfast. Then getting everything ready before leaving at around 08:00. Everything after that will be in the sailing report.

The legs I ordered for the layout turned up, Just under 6inches long, but adjustable for about 2 inches, there is a top socket you screw to the base of the carriage and the leg just plugs in and easily unplugs. It looks just what is needed.

Time to.. Start moving...

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Today Apple Day

I cant help thinking phones :sungum:

Morning form a still dark Surrey.

Plans for yesterday changed. After seeing numerous delayed GWR services to and from reading on Friday then at least one yesterday we decided not to head to Wales but instead to Suffolk and Essex for beer. Glad we did as numerous dark ales were found.We were even impressed with Clacton as only ever been to the station and not even ventured off the platform on that trip 30+ years ago. it appears to be much tidier than many other seaside towns such as Great Yarmouth, Bognor, Skegness etc. plus a couple of decent pubs in the beer guide.

We had a few more good beers under the arches of Chelmsford station - excellent bar there. However the day was spoilt a bit when we went to board and ex Norwich to London train. As we went to get on a fight broke out around us and cans flew out of the vestibule in a spat amongst rival football fans. I got soaked but luckily the cans bounced off the station walls rather than us. Security were soon there but one of them got punched in the eye.

Eventually the train departed late with the culprits still on board. We believe it was QPR playing at Ipswich and I guess the ones getting off were Ipswich fans who had lost and they were being taunted by the QPR fans - none of which were in their teams colours. I am surprised that alcohol was allowed on that train.

We decided not to get on that train and wouldn't be surprised if there was a Police reception when it arrived into Liverpool Street as security went into the platform staff office after saying that there would be repercussions..

Normally we check to see if there are any matches on in the vicinity of our travels but forgot to do so yesterday. Its one reason why I detest football having seen a lot of this back in the 80's. How grown men in there late 20's and older can become so tribal over a bunch of players who are rarely from that town they support if even this country. I know that many / most  aren't like this. My last place of work they got so emotional over their respective teams yet thought I was weird in the interests I have let alone model railways.

Rant over and back to fitting tiny resistors to N scale axles - maybe I am weird :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a brightening Charente. Not a huge amount got done yesterday afternoon apart from wandering round neighbours houses delivering invites for our bonfire party. We were invited in at each house and plied with alcoholic refreshment. It took some time. Breakfast has now been taken and shortly I will pull my overalls on and head off to tidy up the results of yesterdays gardening and tree surgery. That should keep me gainfully employed until lunchtime. Then it will be time to head off to the local bar for an open mike afternoon that Beth will be playing at. They usually do excellent homemade burgers so tea will be taken there.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Woke up having had a "light bulb moment". :sungum:

That's the problem with massive power surges - the brain's battery is now drained. zzzzz

So, a pot of real coffee to get the brain working again.

Talking of the model shop in Battlesbridge I remember from my youf that there was a great little shop over in Hawkwell. I doubt it is still there but it was always a treat if dad drove us over there.

Sympathies with Phil for getting somewhat disorientated yesterday. On my last trip to Leigh the road layout had changed so much we ended up in Eastwood when I thought I was nearing Hadleigh. 

I'd put this morning aside for doing an inventory of fireworks left over from last year. 

5 minutes later we'd counted the 1 Roman candle several times.

Hoping that our supplier will find it in his heart to provide extra "value for money" this year as the store cupboard is very thin.

i really hate the extended firework season - our display lasts precisely 13.5 minutes on, or around, the appropriate date.

Several days of prep work and many hard hours of work on the day to ensure a safe and spectacular event - money raised goes to a local school.  

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Roundhouse, while you were in Chelmsford you could have popped into the exhibition. As for the football hooligans apparently they were all QPR 'fans' fighting amongst themselves according to the local news. AndyB, not just in Essex but in other counties as well it happens the you follow roadsigns to your destination only to find at the next roundabout there is no indication, or if there is its usually obscured by trees and shrubs. I point blank refuse to use a prattnav, it was the use of one that resulted in the lorry jammed under the bridge at Pitsea a couple of days ago.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Today was forecast as being wet, so far it’s not, but it is somewhat duller than it was earlier on. Anyway I’m going to make use of the fact that it isn’t raining and continue working on the patio, how far I’ll get is anyone’s guess.

Back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Logs moved in the morning sun, garden looks a lot tidier. Beth has got her songs sorted out for the open mike. Soup ready then off to the bar for the afternoon. Not a bad start to the day.

Jamie

• Like 15