The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

That had occurred to me. I just explained to the mayor that having a fire on 5th November was an Anglo tradition. I carefully avoided any mentions of Guys and burning effigies.

Jamie

Funny thing GF day. As I recall it was universally celebrated in Scotland. On reflection that seems slightly incongruous :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Someone has started celebrating Guido Fawkes night already. 1st fireworks of the season sounded tonight.

I'd like to put like to your comment but I have a severe dislike to fireworks not on the 5th of November or the nearest Saturday.

Evening Awl, Ben the border collie realised it was Friday and tried to stop me going the the MRC, mostly by sitting on me and looking sad...

One of those things that frighten Ben was seen on the way, a deer..

The continuing work of Dr Beeching removed another 7 pieces which redirect electrically powered moving things were removed along with a couple of metres of parallel metal embedded in plastic. Though that was made of lots of short bits. Then 7things 4th at go clunk were removed from beneath.

Laid out on top are now about 3metres of parallel metal embedded in plastic and several short pieces. The overall picture now looks more Highland and less clapham. Next week Mr dremel will cut things to size exactly while many short shorts objects are inserted to hold things in place.

On the way home two separate owls were seen, the mist was forming over the marshes illuminated by the moon, the mist was beginning to spill out over the roads..

While typing this I have scoffed 3 crumpets, they will be now washed down by a mugachoccy.

Good night...

• Like 17

I have a severe dislike to fireworks not on the 5th of November or the nearest Saturday.

I wish they would move them from July 4th to November 5th here.

a) They would be a lot more impressive against a much darker sky.

b) The probability of setting-off a gigantic conflagration would be greatly reduced.

c) My boat wouldn't be in the line of fire.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think today/tonight is also a Hindu ceremony as I'm sure Tony can confirm (or not as the case may be.)

Dussera. Aditi remembers going in Delhi. She didn’t know it was Dussera today but it is about a week before Diwali. In Delhi now fireworks are very much disapproved of due to the effect they have on air pollution.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

As I expected, I wasn’t at the Trafford Centre long this morning, I was back home just before 11:00, having been to the butchers as well. After I’d put away all the shopping I made myself a muggertea. I then opened today’s post and received my latest invitation to play pooh sticks! Nice, but far better than the alternative, which saw off my mother.

After yesterday’s excitement, we both decided to have a rest this afternoon, which made a very nice change. The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle of Shiraz.

Goodnight all

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

The clock in our hallway has just stuck the half hour, and as I am awake, I ought to go downstairs to the kitchen and make myself a cup of tea.

But I am reluctant to go because I know that when I open that door, Elsa will not be there waiting to greet me.

Nineteen years old is a fantastic age for a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but she will never again grace the OFMC meetings with her presence.

She had been in slow decline for a number of years, but late yesterday afternoon she rapidly started to decline.

Fortunately her vet is also an old friend of the family, so the additional stress of getting Elsa into the car and down to the surgery was not needed.

The surgery telephoned to let us know he was on his way, and Elsa and I settled down on the sofa in the conservatory.

A biscuit from the OFMC stash was consumed and she lay there with her head in my lap.

The Obergumpenfuhrer let Jorg into the house and then disappeared upstairs as she couldn't face what was coming next.

A few wags of her tail when she saw him was all Elsa could muster, and a few minutes later she gave a gentle sigh and was gone.

It was a quiet and peaceful end for a wonderful, loyal and faithful friend.

Now I must go downstairs  and open that door.

Run free Elsa, run free.

Greetings!  I'm off to Uckfield shortly but it takes ages to get there by train, especially if you have breakfast in London - as I shall - and have to walk to Bedford station an hour and a hallf before the first bus - as I must.

Warm thoughts to all, especially Happy Hippo whose poignant post I have just read.  Be brave for Elsa.   It's easier for me to say than for you to do.  There seems to be something in my eye.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Received an email regarding my Euro millions ticket..I have won £2.80 woooopppppiiidddooooo!

This will go towards my return bus ticket for today.

A bit chilly here this am but scheduled to reach 15°C later.

Her indoors is watching the cricket while I drink my mugatea.

Have a brilliant day, positive thoughts to all who ail or are missing.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear of Elsa's passing, we've lost six collies over the years we miss them all.

Mooring Awl inner Temple here,

A solid reasonable nights sleep, though I woke, screwed up in a ball with a headache.

Back and head have since eased. Ben at first refused his patrol, even though it was daylight until I kicked his ball down the garden, he then ran grabbed it and walked with me. Once his business was done, he ran back to the house still with his ball.

Today's plans, finish my musili,the type I like from a bigger Tescos.

In about an hour head off to the sailing club meet up with my sailing compatriot in our car park then head for the boat yard for launching. After that we'll head for the nearby cafe for our traditional pastys and coffee..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

So sorry to read about Elsa, Richard. She certainly had a very loving family and it's good that the vet came to you.

Hope you're able to catch up on your sleep over the weekend.

Our black cat Molly was "put to sleep" by the vet just under 3 years ago - I still say hello to her when we come home late. She always ran to the front door to greet us!

Mal

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to read about Elsa. It’s always sad when you lose a loved pet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

The suns out, so I’m off outside to make the most of it, although I expect my back will be protesting this evening.

Back later

• Like 12