The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a cool Charente though it is clear and promises to be quite warm later. We appear to have a high pressure area over us that's pushing the rain to the north and west, sorry about that to those of you in the UK.

I spent a lot of yesterday trying to book an MRI scan for Beth but ran into various difficulties and will continue the process today. For some reason I find it difficult to pronounce letters in French (No need for an EA alert there Mick) and thus struggle with email addresses when I'm on the phone. It's all good fun.

Today I will again attempt to book the appointment. Then a quick visit to the Mairie to pick p a permit for a fire on November 5th and hopefully a permit for fireworks. We are in a forest area and are covered by a volunteer fire brigade so the permit system stops unnecessary callouts. Then I'm off to the monthly meet up with fellow muddlers. A good lunch followed by a couple of hours playing trains.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start and it should stay that way with some sunny spells and light winds.

Nothing of note happening here today apart from more paperwork,
Have a good one,
Bob.

Edit. Just seen the final bill from our previous energy supplier and a three figure sum will be credited to me shortly. Now I wonder what I can do with that?  :scratchhead:  :locomotive:  :yes:
Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all,

Dry start and it should stay that way with some sunny spells and light winds.

Nothing of note happening here today apart from more paperwork,
Have a good one,
Bob.

Edit. Just seen the final bill from our previous energy supplier and a three figure sum will be credited to me shortly. Now I wonder what I can do with that?  :scratchhead:  :locomotive:  :yes:

Down payment on a loft ladder!  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No need Andy, already got one!  However there is much thought being given at the moment about converting the loft into something more useable.

Just be careful Bob. The boss may fit an external lock. How many months supplies will you have up there.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Nice and bright here.

Aditi is off to the dentist soon and to see the diabetic nurse later. I think she has booked her flu jab to be given by the nurse at the same time.

I think I am almost over my food poisoning. It wasn’t a lot of fun at all!. I still feel tired but I can cope with that.

Have a good day.

Tony

PS

Bob, refund idea. That Bachmann Atlantic is very nice. Or do you have one already?

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. As Tony has said its bright and sunny here this morning and the seaweed twirlers reckon its here for the weekend. Must remember to draw some modelling tokens today as this Saturns day is the Chelmsford exhibition. I'll be on my own this time as my friends neice has decided to get wed on the same day.

Down payment on a loft ladder!  :)

No need Andy, already got one!  However there is much thought being given at the moment about converting the loft into something more useable.

I have one of those pull down ones, I had it fitted when I had the new boiler installed. Problem is its taken about 20% of what was a smallish loft hatch. Either I will have to have the hatch enlarged or go on a diet. Muggatee awaits, be back later.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

The sun is out and there are a few clouds in the sky. Shortly I’ll be off to the Trafford Centre to get a few bits and pieces, today I will be unaccompanied, so I’ll get home a lot earlier than when I’m not! I’ll probably spend a lot less too! My return journey will take me past the butchers where I’ll pick up the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie too!

Back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright and sunny, and that's before we get to Tesco.

Jamie - plenty of French alphabets online which show pronunciation.  In my past experience it really was well worth learning the alphabet and how numbers work, something very basic but equally extremely useful at times - like being able to spell out my name when making hotel bookings over the 'phone.   ChrisF's surgery sounds a bit like ours used to be, harridans at the gate and 'no you can't have a flu jab' whereas this year while I was having my most recent INR test I was offered the flu jab before I had a chance to ask for it.  However I did have to ask for the shingles jab so I suspect either their admin or their IT system is too clever at auto reminders and equally I had to tell Simone, the Practice Nurse who did my last INR test that I was also due several other blood tests although they were show on the system as being needed but obviously were not coming up automatically.

Weather looks fair for my trip later today into Cotswold country and with luck I should avoid any early morning fog on my trip to Toddington to congregate with the ANTB mob followers.  It's some time since our last full get together (which was on the Great Central) but always nice to meet fellow RMweb folk and we've got quite a lot of extra 'followers' this trip although our advance party was unsuccessful when it came to making a party reservation so we need lots of coats to put on seats ready for when the second tranche join us.  The food fayre might also prove of interest, possibly.

Have a good day one and all.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Really tempted lately by a Dapol Terrier, a few wagons, and some O track to run under the Chr*****s tree this year. Hmmm, how to get approval for that. 

Yep. I know the feeling Andrew. Every time I see one on sale my wallet is tempted to leap out my pocket. I think it is only a matter of time before I succumb.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Mike, you've just reminded me to ask about shingles vaccine when I reach 70 in a couple of months. I've actually had shingles at least 3, possibly 4 times (can't remember exactly) so you'd think I wouldn't need it but the NHS website suggests otherwise.

Monkeysarefun, thank you so much for your kind and helpful comments!  I am grateful for the warning about humidity.  In this country when we get it the effect on me is not unlike the effect of kryptonite on Superman so I’m not sure how I can prepare for it.  No doubt the travel company will tell me all I need to know.  Yeah, right.

Warm thoughts to all in distress and those who are missing.  Oh, do you like the T shirt?

attachicon.gifStonewall shirt - Copy.JPG

The slogan is in Welsh and translates as "Some people are gay.  Get over it".  The enigmatic smile needs a bit more work ...

Chris

No worries, its all air-conditioned up there now which has made it a lot more liveable. Hopefully the wet season will be on schedule so it'll be happenning when you are there which means every day at exactly 5pm it pours down for 20 minutes to cool everything down. Its just the first time it hits you when the plane/train/car door opens...  - it can suck  all the life from your body and make you instantly soaked..

The other thing which doesn't get a mention much  but which can be a surprise are the flies. Locals just buy a  can of Aerogard and theres no more problem, tourists can be a bit clueless and needlessly suffer through it, then post up youtube clips...  So definitely buy a can of Aerogard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IiyXEkKK9Ehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IiyXEkKK9E

Well done with the T-shirt, it'll go down a treat here in Sydney!  Just thinking though -  I reckon there will be some earnest well-meaning Welsh person at some point when you are wearing it, come on up to you, pull your arm and whisper  "Excuse me, but do you realise what your shirt says.?"

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Tony, I just knew I could rely on you to come up with a sensible idea. I've got the NRM C1 but did you mean the H2?

Yes, the Brighton Atlantic. I have the black BR model. It can pull my set of SR coaches on a inter regional charter to the midlands. Or whatever. I just liked the look of the loco.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of kettles.

Passed me at work the other day. 35018 British India Line

post-408-0-89978800-1539948119_thumb.jpg

It was going very well from a dead stand at the bottom of the hill, but this was helping a bit on the back.....

post-408-0-88272300-1539948131_thumb.jpg

No POETS, but there will be a lie-in tomorrow.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Yep. I know the feeling Andrew. Every time I see one on sale my wallet is tempted to leap out my pocket. I think it is only a matter of time before I succumb.

They are probably cheaper than the tree decorations on sale in the Christmas Shop in Brugge.

• Like 10

Well done with the T-shirt, it'll go down a treat here in Sydney!  Just thinking though -  I reckon there will be some earnest well-meaning Welsh person at some point when you are wearing it, come on up to you, pull your arm and whisper  "Excuse me, but do you realise what your shirt says.?"

I can hardly wait!

Chris

• Like 16

All this talk of kettles.

Passed me at work the other day. 35018 British India Line

attachicon.gif35018 1Z84.jpg

It was going very well from a dead stand at the bottom of the hill, but this was helping a bit on the back.....

attachicon.gif33207 1Z84.jpg

No POETS, but there will be a lie-in tomorrow.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

Is  that rear loco there for assistance or is it  to provide a safety buffer between the old coaches and any potential rear-ending, similar to what NSW heritage rail has to have following the Cowan bank  train crash in 1990?

Now even our Garrett has the indignity of another loco up its bum.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Is  that rear loco there for assistance or is it  to provide a safety buffer between the old coaches and any potential rear-ending, similar to what NSW heritage rail has to have following the Cowan bank  train crash in 1990?

Pretty certain the Mk1's in railtour use have an exemption from the crash worthiness rules. They often use a Mk2 as end coach, or one of the support vehicles without fare-paying passengers

The 33 may have been there to provide electric train heat supply (it depends on which coaches were used as West Coast have a mixed fleet of air/dual braked and electric/steam heat)

35018 (and others within the WCRC roster) has quite happily been running through the summer without any diesel on the back

However, there is a possibility that the 33 was attached for assistance purposes as it is leaf-fall season around here - even though the RHTT water jetter had passed that way about two hours before.

The 33 was definitely under power.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

If it is for Flying Scotsman..its there to do the work! - not just the train but they push the Scotsman along in case they "overtax" it! :jester:

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 13

I used to (many many moons ago) have a rising sun t-shirt. It had Chinese writing on it. When I wanted to buy it, my Mum was very concerned about what it might say, and was only slightly mollified when I reported that the man in the shop had told me it meant "made in Hong Kong". Fast forward a couple of years to University and a friend of mine who was studying Chinese translated it as "fragrant harbour".  Turns out the man in the shop was right!

• Like 17