The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Chuckinitdarn here all day so far.

Winter and summer clothes exchanged - we use vacuum bags to store clothes - it means we don't need as much space.

After a busy morning doing notalot now time for lunch apparently.

TTFN

baz

We have the summer and winter duvets in vacuum bags. However we haven’t used the winter duvet for years.
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

May have been a Leyland National...

Do they still do home made pasties at the Pow?

As we finished at 12 on a Friday you could get the train to Foxfield, have lunch!tea. Drink some beer and then back on the train in time for a night in the Duke/Furness Railway. Happy times!

Baz

Not sure as they lay on finger food for our coach party. They have been very quiet recently on Northern strike days so probably very pleased to see a group of around 50 modellers. Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Now sitting in the departures lounge at Dublin. The aircoach we boarded was either very late or very early! The driver let us on as there were seats. I love the not making eye contact that people adopt when they don’t want to be separated from their luggage on the seat.

I politely pointed out to one chap that he could either put it in the luggage compartment or put it on his lap. He chose his lap.

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning...

Off to the cabin in light snow!!!!

Hopefully it'll hold off some until we're done.

1c right now.

Ian,

Can't say 'Like' because snow to me means cold and I don't like cold. Hope the work on the rent goes well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

This morning the rain stopped so SWMBO took Ben the Border Collie out for his long walk.

I had measured the trailer Internal width 4ft, I measured the plywood width 4ft, but I had a nagging doubt.... So while it wasn't raining, I took the plywood down to the trailer, it doesn't fit... By just maybe 3mm...as I'm intending to paint the travel case I don't want it scraping down the trailer, I've cut the boards down by an inch, then I'll add a couple of sacrificial rubbing strips.

I could feel the temperature dropping after the first rain passed, as the temperature dropped the wind came up, we now have a 32mph northerly wind and its got very chilly.

Also I took apart a previous transportation frame for the layout., it will be reused, either in the new carriage case or on the fire providing heat..

I've been instructed to make a lazy Kate, not too difficult and I can work on the layout carriage case while doing so.

Time to ...go for a long soak in the bath...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Now at the gate. Much drama. Some sort of school college field trip. Lots of students arriving late to get on flight to Paris. Tutor making announcements in French over PA system. Looks fraught.

• RMweb Premium

Sunny warm and windy this morning we even got washing dry on the line then it got darker and darker and the thunder started. I was despatched to the shed to turn a light off. As I got there it started chuckinitdarn so I sat at my modelling desk and did some muddling till the noise on the roof died down. Then went back to be asked "Where have you been you only went to turn a light off." Life is so hard sometimes.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad day today at the bus museum but the event was not up to previous years. Part of the reason is that they no longer can use the grounds of the school next door for displaying cars and other light vehicles. The reason being that the school has now become an 'academy' controlled by an organisation based in London that seems to be disinterested in to anything extra-curicular. My friends young son got his ride on a sunken side gangway double-decker, an ex Southend Leyland PD3, one of two such buses operating. (The other was a Bristol KSW6G fitted with platform doors for express services.) There was even an open topper running with a good load upstairs despite the weather. I picked up a few diecast models, some of which were bargains. After leaving we went to Tesco's but it took us about half an hour to get off of the island as the London bound A13 was shut from Sadlers Farm to Pitsea causing a tailback. Having done our shopping we realised that my friends son was missing and it took about ten minutes to find him, no idea were he got to but he must have found something to engross him.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Back home now. Not plannning to do much. I have put the heating and hot water on. It was quite warm here yesterday.

Our flight weather was as predicted. Clear then cloudy then bumpy. We could see the Wirral (and thought of Debs) . After the Wirral the next thing we could see was the airport surroundings at Southend. Smooth landing, the in flight bumps were bigger!

The geographically challenged women “ooh that must be America” were on our flight home too. They seemed somewhat subdued this evening!

The trip to Maynooth wasn’t sad. Everyone there was so kind and they were ready to share how they were coping ( or not ).

I felt rather low afterwards when we spent yesterday and this morning in Dublin but knowing we were heading home was something to look forward too.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I felt sorry for the gate crew chap at Dublin. He asked so politely if anyone could volunteer to put their carry on in the hold. He even explained why. Some people were rather aggressive in their refusal. I noticed that those whose bags looked larger than ours seemed most reluctant. Some airlines would have bought the bag gauge over!

Tony

The weather in Portugal has been grossly overrated - 75mph gusts at the most (and rare at that). Problems related to trees with shallow roots and Building codes that did not expect Wind...... I t may surprise some that a tree gets used to Wind and adapts to it.

Oh, well another Sunday rather cold with a high of 61f - but  once winter comes we will be grateful for that.

Best, Pete.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Watched a programme on V Bombers on BBC 4( which seems to have a lot of good documentaries in its schedules).

Fixed some items I had broken on Saturday so not too bad a day muddling wise.

Mugadecaf then...sleep!

Night to most!

Pete .. Madeira experiences high winds and is designed to take them. Still means on odd days the airport is closed.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Another frustrating day in the workshop, still no improvement in the running of the BoB I’ve been working on. It’s now getting to the point where I’m thinking that the chip itself is faulty, as on the few times I’ve actually had it running, the sound keeps cutting out, despite the fact the but the motor continues to run. So, my next plan of action is to remove the chip, re-wire it back to non dcc and run it on dc again. If all is ok, (which it was prior to me fitting the chip) then I think I’ll have to return the chip to Hornby.

Goodnight all

• RMweb Premium

Watched a programme on V Bombers on BBC 4( which seems to have a lot of good documentaries in its schedules).

Part 2 tonight of Cold War Hot jets. 

Just a few seconds on TSR2...... (I really feel the need to build my Airfix kit)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Well it was a lovely sunny day on the rock, after yesterdays deluge.  Well 3 1/2 inches worth anyway.  We took Jayne out for lunch, down to the Sound on the very southern tip of Fraggle Rock, then did some gardening, clearing all the leaves and autumn debris and taking what we didn't have room to compost to the tip.  As the sun set the temperature dropped like a stone, so the wood burner is lit and we're snuggling down for the evening.

The Sound - the little island is Kitterland, the bigger one the Calf of Man.  The tide comes through here like a freight train, not a place to be caught unawares in the kayak!

attachicon.gifthe sound.jpg

I remember the Sound very well - a lot narrower than I expected, but quite spectacular.  Having left Douglas at 04:30 for Port Erin, we made the Sound at slack water and, taking advantage of the much improved weather, we headed for Bangor, Co. Down arriving around 18:30.  Half way across the Irish Sea, the wind picked up, Ray went for'ard to reef the sails and, in the absence of any land in sight, heading into wind with nothing to aim for, I inadvertently gybed the boat full circle, the boom thrown across the boat, narrowly escaping a man-overboard situation.   :scared:    I did get better at it...sailing into wind without all the landmarks of the Menai Strait and coast line of Anglesey, that is.   :mosking:

Great photo, Neil.  Thanks for posting.

Edited by southern42

Not as catchy as “The rain in Spain....”

I quite like it - remember McArthur Park

Notice the way Richard's voice becomes a choir of women around the 7 minute mark?

Runs away and hides..... Pete.

PS On form today, Tony, lad!

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 15