The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Does anyone know if you can flatten a cutting mat?

Mrs Clever decided not to get either of our ironing boards out. In her infinite wisdom she decided that a towel on top of the cutting mat on her desk was a great idea. She ironed the creases out of the fabric but ironed some lovely undulating features into the cutting mat.

Does anyone know if you can flatten a cutting mat?

Mrs Clever decided not to get either of our ironing boards out. In her infinite wisdom she decided that a towel on top of the cutting mat on her desk was a great idea. She ironed the creases out of the fabric but ironed some lovely undulating features into the cutting mat.

Handy for landscaping then!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Generic greetings are, as ever, offered to the ailing and celebrating.

Ian - shame I didn't know you were in the Merchants as I was in town yesterday afternoon, and would have enjoyed meeting up for a pint (or two).

Not a great deal to report, other than it's rainy and windy here.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

Generic greetings are, as ever, offered to the ailing and celebrating.

Ian - shame I didn't know you were in the Merchants as I was in town yesterday afternoon, and would have enjoyed meeting up for a pint (or two).

Not a great deal to report, other than it's rainy and windy here.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

Stewart

It was a last minute stop due to train being cancelled. We wilm be in Lancaster tomorrow night but not sure what tine we will get there.

It's been raining all day here but bern inside.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

They were massacring the wildlife this morning, so Ben hid in the house away from the shooting. Since Ben likes chasing the the mower, which could be dangerous for him, I took advantage the shooting and got the mower out to find two flat tyres. After pumping them up, 3hours were spent driving in circles mowing.

As I had the pump out, I pumped up the boat trailer tyres as well, they still had 20lbs in after 17years!! Down from 35lbs. I will have to fit new tyres before it goes back on the road though.

Before starting boat work I decided to move the boat trailer, have you tried moving a trailer with no jockey wheel, it's heavy!!! I dragged it about 20 ft to its future home on the concrete slabs, in preparation for fitting the jockey wheel, and later the boat supports.

After that I sat on the trailer for a good 15 minutes recovering.

Then a half hour measuring up now I have the boat supports and jockey wheel. Bolts to order later if they don't have the right size at screwfix..

I had realized I wasn't fit enough to work on the boat when I started measuring, so I just removed the tools I'd left inside and trussed her up like a turkey to survive the winter.

After a ham sandwich we took Ben down to the Beach away from the shooting, he greatly enjoyed that. It's mid October and we sat in the sun on the beach in a warm wind, it felt more like mid summer. On the way back we met a young border collie and they played for a while.

Since then I've watched that modelling programme, and inspected eyelids. I do wonder if I can move off of the sofa later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Wotta wet one.  The day, not me. Driza bone, me.

Had lunch all the way down south with John and his Mrs, in a little place right by the airport and flying club.  Sqeezyjet were making a lot of noise, its right by the threshold.  Nice meal though well impressed.

Norra lot else to report, just one of those days when its not worth doing much, inspiration zero.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

The scale and angle might have me tricked up but is that a Canberra hiding in the background, or is it something smaller like a Meteor? It has to be a Meteor.

Lucky yes. There has been an alarming spate of Hunter accidents in the last decade or so - including a couple in the US before the tragic airshow crash at Shoreham.

It's a brave pilot who flies antique jet aircraft.

The Meteor in the background - well spotted -  is an experimental aircraft with a prone front cockpit in an extended nose. One of the many oddities of the UK 50s jet research aircraft. https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/collections/gloster-meteor-f8-prone-position/

There is a Canberra at Cosford, fitted out as a photo-recon aircraft. (Canberras used to be my staple diet of RAF viewing as BAC Samlesbury that carried out the last work on them is just down the road from me - you could buy the last Canberras for £1 provided that you could transport them away)

The Hunter at Key West is part of the Civilian Adversary Squadron

The Shoreham crash was not attributed to the aircraft, but pilot error.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

After a long and, at times, an intensively annoying day I need sleep.

Have a great night/Morning wherever you are.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_0140.JPG

Sooooooo ....... let's have a bit of a sort out in the study........this is the contents of the work desk and one of the cabinets......

Just three more to do!!!

If that's all you can account for with one desk and one cabinet - you are slacking..........

• RMweb Premium

Found on the interweb:

Shortly after the air raid warning was sounded, flares were dropped and at 21.25 3 HE bombs fell, one 250kg. on a house at the corner of King George Road and Page Avenue, a 1,000kg. on houses at the junction of Cauldwell Villas and Stanton Avenue, one 250kg. bomb on an allotment near Cauldwell House. The crater in Cauldwell Villas was one of the largest ever made in the Borough; shelters were found on the lip, completely covered with lumps of clay, but the occupants were all rescued alive.

My Grandparents...……

post-10195-0-75876400-1539465498.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It’s been quite an odd day here, weather wise anyway. It’s still a little blowy, with the odd bit of rain here and there, but it’s been unusually warm. We had a bit of a lie-in this morning, so much so that I ended up getting up a bit later than planned and so did t have time to log on before I went to collect the girls, although I did manage a few minutes once I’d got back this morning.

However, when I went to collect the girls, I discovered that Evie had got up early and gone out with her Dad to watch Max in his cross country race, so we ended up only having Ava with us. Still it was very nice, but it was definitely a lot quieter than if we’d had the both of them. As expected, a few episodes of Dr Who were watched, but not until Ava had helped me bake a cake, which was done in time to have a piece for dinner, while it was still warm, very tasty it was too!

After I’d taken Ava home, I watched THAT model Railway Show, but I’ll say no more about that.

After tea, Sheila and I sat down with a nice Malbec and watched a bit of recorded TV.

Goodnight all

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Spent a couple of hours this evening on Facebook and then went to make a pot of tea. I switched off my laptop before doing so at the mains as the battery was fully charged. Afterwards I went to switch on my computer when I noticed that the hub wasn't working, so no internet or TV. Spent half an hour checking the connections and plugs but still no luck and then I noticed that the connection to the computer was still switched on, I had turned the wrong switch off! :banghead: 

Good morning one and all

As promised, I went somewhere out of town yesterday.  The new home of the Great Electric Train Show is in Milton Keynes, less than an hour by “express” bus from Bedford, and being an impulsive creature at times I decided to pay it a visit.  I’ve been to better shows but may well comment at greater length on the designated thread.

There is lots to do here today.  In addition to cooking a slab of sirloin I have some writing to do and, I’m afraid, some ironing.   I also need to keep an eye on Facebook because something I posted on Friday has provoked some reaction.  One old friend has clicked “sad”, which is very disappointing.

There is a fair bit happening in the week ahead.  Tuesday sees the AGM of the Bedford LCGB branch which I call the annual outbreak of democracy.  It should not take long to write an account of it on Wednesday before I catch the train to Harpenden for Area Group lunch. On Thursday I have my 12 weekly appointment with Sister Syringe who will administer the hormone injection that keeps the cancer under control and probably do my flu jab while she is about it.  I hope to go to the Uckfield show on Saturday.  It’s an hour from East Croydon to Uckfield by train and how long from Bedford to East Croydon depends on where I have breakfast.  On Sunday next Apple Day is held at Bromham Mill, just east of Bedford.  It’s all go round here, I tell you.

Warm thoughts to all in distress and those who are missing.

Chris

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Is the bus a PD2, an Atlantean or a Leyland National??

POW ..one of favourite pubs...

Baz

It was a single decker coach but sure what make. It was certainly aqn interesting journey with the roads covered in water plus the roads being narrow and twisting it wasnt for the faint hearted this year. POW as good as ever and we made it back to Barrow for the last hour in the Furness Railway being kicked out just after 1am.

Day 2 of the show thne we start making our way home. Lets hope Northern perform better today.

• Like 16