The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The frost is on the pumpkin here, so I must away, not with the trash, but with the RV to the sanitary dump station. There's nothing worse than frozen c#$p.

I suppose I also better get the boat out of the water before it gets iced-in :)

• RMweb Premium

Pete

yep...ELO

and I have some wizzard/Roy Wood albums....

They were interesting times for me music wise.

Went out for scran..very nice thin based Pizza... excellent but not cheap!

Night all!

Baz

• Like 14

I dare someone to send the enclosed map to either the Daily Express or the Daily Mail...... After Callum comes Michael. :O

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT14/refresh/AL142018_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind+png/173930.png

Looks like a wet Monday from Fisterra to Finistere to Land's End.

Bit of a blow off Ushant for those sailing through Hornblower and Lucky Jack Aubrey.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I dare someone to send the enclosed map to either the Daily Express or the Daily Mail...... After Callum comes Michael. :O

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT14/refresh/AL142018_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind+png/173930.png

Best, Pete.

Thanks for that Pete, looks like we are in for an interesting Monday evening.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

We went out for a meal this evening and returned back to the university accommodation to find a note asking us not to open the windows tonight due to Storm Callum. The concern here in Ireland seems to be that it is going to be windy and most of the trees still have leaves.

• RMweb Gold

Jamie, Don't worry the latest one has the end drooping into the Bay of Biscay and pointing South East....................

It could end up anywhere, though, really - as a depression (which suits it).

Best, Pete.

The geographical knowledge exhibited by a group sitting behind us on the flight from Southend was interesting. After about 50 minutes they were convinced the land below must be America as Ireland is part of England.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well it’s been another frustrating day in the workshop. I took another close look at the BoB and noticed that there was already a hole in the chassis that the wire which is connected to the insulated pick-up to pass through. This hole was easily big enough for a second wire, so I decided to route the new wire through the same hole. I then drilled a small hole in the inner keeper plate, passed the wire through it, soldered one end to the non-insulated pick-up and the other end to the chassis connection point. I then re-assembled the loco and gave it another run, no bl00dy difference. It starts off ok, runs for a minute or so then just stops dead! So I decided to remove the motor and ran that disconnected from the gearbox, all was ok. It was then re-assembled it again and no difference. Now I’m starting to think it may be something to do with the valve gear, as it kept sticking. So, over the weekend I’ll remove the valve gear and give it a run without it, to see how it performs.

Goodnight all

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Barrow visited.

Couldn't spend money at Crafty Hobbies as it was closed due to a funeral.

Spent money on the house instead. Letting agents worse than useless. They don't see why the major damage to the house by the last tenants isn't just wear and tear.. (err like a missing central heating thermostat, ripped carpets, plaster smashed off, broken window locks (where did the keys go??), broken lights, broken electrics, hole drilled through walls(why?)

Asked if they did the same thing to their house.. err no. So he can have some of his deposit back but the cost of repairs far exceeds the deposit.

Rant over... now starting to get ready for the Jeff Lynn/LEO concert on Monday..

Now what I need is a mugatea and some Scran

TTFN

Baz

No, no, no , if the damage done costs more to put right than the (legally enforced deposit) then the tenants do not get it back … one of the troubles with estate agents … they charge you to deposit it and expect the outgoing tenants to have it back when they leave.  

A furnished house was rented out in good condition including a NO PETS clause.  All seemed well for a time and inspections seemed fine.  A while later the tenants left in rather a hurry saying the place was damp and had exacerbated an asthma condition.  When we went in it stank of cats, the furniture was clawed to pieces, fungus growing out of a cupboard and cat poo everywhere.  To put it right we had to remove an amount of floorboards, skirting and plaster as well as chuck out all the furniture, carpets and kitchen units and replace the bathroom suite.  Neighbours later said that they thought that they had three cats.  It cost a lot but there was no point in chasing them through the courts because they had been made redundant .  If their personal hygiene related to the state of the house I am not surprised.

Smaller problems … no forwarding addresses and not paying the post office to forward mail.  On one occasion a future tenant had a knock on the door by bailiffs with a court order to posses property, a bit scary for them, but they were able to prove that they were not the relevant party.

There are some dodgy landlords but also some tenants who turn out to be really terrible.

Edited by PeterBB

The geographical knowledge exhibited by a group sitting behind us on the flight from Southend was interesting. After about 50 minutes they were convinced the land below must be America as Ireland is part of England.

Perhaps they attended the same school as Donald.

On hearing I was Scottish a taxi driver in Oxford asked me if I'd had a good sail over on the boat :)

Good morning one and all

The second concert in two days featured Grace Petrie.  I had heard of her but did not know what to expect.  How good it was to hear a folk singer doing protest songs.  Grace turned her wrath on anything and anybody right wing – Donald Trump, Tony Blair, the Daily Mail – and defended gay rights with a deep-rooted passion.  She was thoroughly entertaining and I now have five more CDs for the hessian bag.

My late friend Andy’s funeral takes place this morning.  I shall go, if only to see who is there.  I may or may not go to the wake afterwards.  Again, it depends who is there.  I don’t like funerals.  Most that I have attended fell well short of what should have been the objective of celebrating the life of the dear departed, with a mindless selection of the same old hymns and a slug of mumbo-jumbo spoken by the celebrant who failed dismally in the objective of bringing comfort to the bereaved.  Fortunately my late cousin Michael had other ideas and his funeral was as joyous an occasion as possible given the circumstances with a mischievous choice of music.

Warm thoughts to all in distress and those who are missing.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Bit damp here this morning.

I have an email to send regarding the tenant to prepare and send.

Lots to do today...mainly muddle railway related so ..TTFN..first up ....a mugatea!

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

On hearing I was Scottish a taxi driver in Oxford asked me if I'd had a good sail over on the boat :)

Maybe the Taxi driver was a history student, after all the Scots Did originally come from Ireland...

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

A reasonable amount of sleep if broken by several wake up and turn overs.

Ben the Border Collie did come out for patrol this morning, from the time he stood still on 3 legs He was desperate.. He didn't stray far from me though, no more than 10 ft..

Each morning now the roads are covered with leaves, Autumn is definately here now even if this mornings patrol didn't need a coat.

The drive to work was done very carefully with New discs and some brake pipes changed, the feel of the car is different and even the engine is noticably quieter. They definately did the full job.

Tonight MRC time, and find out the results of the show. We've had several emails of thanks from exhibitors and traders which have been passed on to us members so it seems to have gone well, lets see how the treasurer thinks it went..

Time to ...check the company spam, then finish the last major system this week.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

A quick good morning all. We are heading over to Beth's friend north of Limoges today three schoolfriends will be gabbling 19 to the dozen and the males present will hopefully have a quiet get together.

We will not be attending THE wedding, our invites appear to have been lost in the post.

Jamie

• Like 17