The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

We have a preliminary report about our motor home and the appraiser thinks it may not be worth repairing, given it's value on the market. We may still take it to the repair place. 

This will be a major shock if we don't replace as we have had 10 years of sleeping on our own mattress and being able to take the cats with us -- they can be left in a motorhome even in fairly warm weather while we lunch.

I think that permissiveness in language and other arts has reduced imagination and fun. Writers used to have to be clever to suggest certain things and get them past the editors.

We have a preliminary report about our motor home and the appraiser thinks it may not be worth repairing, given it's value on the market. We may still take it to the repair place

It's probably a bit expensive to restore it to "as new" condition, but the damage really didn't look all that bad. If it was me, I'm pretty sure I could bodge it up myself and make the RV quite serviceable.

You might want to explore the possibility of having the insurance company write it off then immediately buy it back at the residual value. Then you take it to your friendly RV repair place and make them understand it's not an insurance repair. Surprisingly the rates might be quite different.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a a quite bright corner of the Charente. Not a huge amount got done yesterday apart from the ironing and some admin. However I did finish the next Hornbower novel. He's returning home having met Lady Barabara on the Lydia. I did get the trailer reloaded ready for a tip run today. This morning I have the horrible task of going to see the fair Laetitia to try and sort out the re registration of the Volvo. Apparently they now need our marriage certificate to prove Beth's maiden name. However the number for the trailer has arrived. Then the tip run after lunch and a meal out at some friends so not a bad day. I am sure that some other tasks will be either given or undertaken at some point.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s dull start to the day and rain is forecast so I’m not expecting to get much done in the garden. However that does mean that I might get to spend a bit of time in the workshop instead, every cloud etc. Sheila is just getting ready to leave for her Zumba class, so until then I think I’ll peruse the rmweb.

Back later

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky with some clouds but there is sunshine. It should be a warm day but there may be some showers.

Sounds of glass crashing tell me the second bin lorry of the three due today is outside and now the third one is passing in the opposite direction.

Yesterday's headache is still with me along with various other aches. I spent some time in the garden which has not helped much, if at all.

Today the first task is a visit to Sainsbury's. After that I'm not sure although The Boss has mentioned we should be making some arrangements for my birthday in December.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

A much interrupted nights sleep, but I think I still got around 6 hours..

Red Sky in Morning Sailors warning, and Very Red it was by the time I got to work...it was cloudy in the east and we had clear skies in the west.

Having not heard anything at work about that TV programme so far this week, there was much discussion this morning as they had watched the repeat.. Most seemed to like it.. I had to explain about Missenden that they weren't instructors, but had attended courses..

Just had a look at the shipping notice with The 1 G ohm Resistor that I've just sent to be put with the rest of the order..about £1300 each ... ouch..

I've just accepted the invatation for a flu Jab from the company Doctor, Saves having to find my way to the GPs.

Time for more measurements

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Yesterday's headache is still with me along with various other aches. I spent some time in the garden which has not helped much, if at all.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Try moving the bed away from the wall. :crazy:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good to see that Southallman is back in the fold, trust you're keeping well Bob.  I'd go along with the idea of buying back the written off camper or going for a separate repair quote especially if things 'over there' are similar to the way they are here - the last body job I had done  independently (by the same company who would have done it as an insurance job) cost barely a third of what the insurers would have paid!

Some progress was at last made with the brickwork yesterday and another step rise duly emerged albeit a right faff to work on so it's dipped slightly at the far end (which will be hidden under retaining wall brickwork at a later date) so now it looks like probably only one more full step e rise will be needed although whether my labourer will put in an appearance is another matter.  The next stage is a couple of barrowloads of concrete which is a fairly comfy hand mixing job thank goodness and as rain is now forecast for Saturday it looks like having the labourer this week would be a waste of cash.

A bit of faux Friday adventurism today but it seems Tesco will be sufficient as herself has started to check out the meat stored in the garage freezer - the 2011 chicken smells pretty good and has been cooked but even if we don't like Kevin will. (Kevin being the name for or friendly neighbouring Red Kite - yes, I know!!).

Have a good day one and all

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this morning, I blame it on the lateness of the bin lorries dawn chorus meaning I overslept, just as well I have nothing much to do today. It was the arrival of the lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon that in full song can awaken the dead that woke me up. Next doors skip has been blessed with another visit from the metal faries but seeing that very little has been deposited in there the pickings must have been slim. At least they have left things clean and tidy.

• Like 14

Busy morning with the photographer, surveyor and floor-planner all here at the same time. House has never looked better, almost wonder why we're moving!

Just off to get my mum's shopping. Weather here still warmish with damp air. Thoughts to those who've suffered under the horrendous Hurricane Michael, that's something else.

Hope your afternoons go well

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon from a blustery Surrey.

It was sunny earlier so quite pleasant under the gazeboo doing some spraying.

Gazeboo is now down before it gets any windier and wet.

Just packed my APT-E away but had ot put it into another bag as it would virtually fill our rucksack  so no camera bag being taken with me tomorrow. I will rely on my small digital camera and phone but Saturday there will be no trains out of BIF due to the strike so doubt that I will be taking many photos. The repalcement bus from Lancaster to BIF takes 2 hours 55 which is longer than the journey form Euston ot Lancaster!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good to see that Southallman is back in the fold, trust you're keeping well Bob. 

Have a good day one and all

Since you kindly asked Mike I've been a bit iffy but it's not stopped in my tracks yet, I'll be at Aldershot Show with GDB and good friend Steve this week and the ANTB outing next week we can natter over a cup of tea.

Edited by 81C
  • Like 16

Have checked out of the free local hotel with a clean bill of health and no on-going investigations.

Unfortunately, alighted the bus from the hotel to the station a couple of stops early and indulged in a little retail therapy; the bank balance has been exchanged for some new trousers and shoes in readiness for the jaunt to Switzerland (same tour as ChrisF!).

Good morning one and all

I am heartened by the continuing interest in my trip to Oz etc.  Flavio and Mike, your suggestion that I consider an upgraded flight is a kind one but it is not going to happen.  The trip is costing me over £7k as it is and I have to find that by the end of November.  It’s OK, I do know where it is!  The whole point of this tour is that it is done as a group and if part of the party is in a higher class than the others on the plane it will harm the group ethos.  There is enough ribbing of those who travel first class on Eurostar on the Swiss trip. ..

Chris

I hope the Antipodean trip meets all expectations; we will no doubt hear more as this year turns to next.

Ffestiniog used always travel from London to mainland Europe in first class but have, in recent years, dropped this due to the changing services from Eurorats. Unfortunately, they decided that all travel to and from the holiday target country should be tarred with the same brush; I have registered my protest.

I will be one of those 'ribbed' as above, along with at least two others who feel likewise. On the TGV Lyria from Paris Gare du Lyon into Switzerland (on most routes), cross-border travellers are afforded complimentary snacks and drinks at seat (passengers in the same coach aiming to alight before the border do not get this!) I can not (yet) speak for the trains in Germany but I will find out in January.

The major advantage, however, is the extra space around the seats; usually, second is a 2+2 whilst first is 2+1 across the coach. However, there are also fewer seat clusters in first, resulting in more legroom.

There can also be a geographical advantage in arriving in Bruxelles Midi from Kőln in first class; it usually stops nearer to the correct aisle in the station (North end) for a fast debunk to the Eurorats terminal! I recall demonstrating this on the 2009 / 2010 trip when our train from Kőln was late in its departure and arrival despite which, some of us cleared customs and were already comfortably at our seats in the Eurorats to greet those who went the 'wrong' way. (Extenuating circumstances may, however, preclude this tactic!)

• Like 18

Good afternoon from a blustery Surrey.

It was sunny earlier so quite pleasant under the gazeboo doing some spraying.

Gazeboo is now down before it gets any windier and wet.

Just packed my APT-E away but had ot put it into another bag as it would virtually fill our rucksack  so no camera bag being taken with me tomorrow. I will rely on my small digital camera and phone but Saturday there will be no trains out of BIF due to the strike so doubt that I will be taking many photos. The repalcement bus from Lancaster to BIF takes 2 hours 55 which is longer than the journey form Euston ot Lancaster!

Coppel with two APTs? Await the photos!

• Like 11

It's probably a bit expensive to restore it to "as new" condition, but the damage really didn't look all that bad. If it was me, I'm pretty sure I could bodge it up myself and make the RV quite serviceable.

You might want to explore the possibility of having the insurance company write it off then immediately buy it back at the residual value. Then you take it to your friendly RV repair place and make them understand it's not an insurance repair. Surprisingly the rates might be quite different.

I wanted to do something like this with a car I owned that was written off. I was told that was not a legal option - but that may have been due a local Illinois law.

... the head of the department (lady I report to and work for) did inquire if I was going to be here "Halloween week", I replied in the affirmative, she then ask if I was going to "dress up" as all the office will for some competition, I replied to THAT in the negative - I'm not THAT stupid!

Perhaps you could 'dress up' as an accounting and information systems programming consultant?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Barrow visited.

Couldn't spend money at Crafty Hobbies as it was closed due to a funeral.

Spent money on the house instead. Letting agents worse than useless. They don't see why the major damage to the house by the last tenants isn't just wear and tear.. (err like a missing central heating thermostat, ripped carpets, plaster smashed off, broken window locks (where did the keys go??), broken lights, broken electrics, hole drilled through walls(why?)

Asked if they did the same thing to their house.. err no. So he can have some of his deposit back but the cost of repairs far exceeds the deposit.

Rant over... now starting to get ready for the Jeff Lynn/LEO concert on Monday..

Now what I need is a mugatea and some Scran

TTFN

Baz