The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

. Now alcohol free for a week or two after the excesses of our holiday.

Now alcohol free for a few days but that will change Friday as we will be in Barrow for the weekend with the bus trip apres show to the POW at Foxfield. Unfortunately no trains due to Northern being on strike so will have to watch the bladder for the bus journey back to BIF on the bus.

• Like 1

Welocme back Pete

John - hope you are out very soon.

Morning from a dark Surrey. trains at Redhill up creek due to a fire on a freight train in the new platform 0 closing both that and the adjacent platform 1. Luckily my other halfs train is running but quite a few cancelled.

Photos she just took and sent to me after the fire had been extinguished but still smoking. Not quite sure what caught fire as it appears to be on a wagon.

Hot box.
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The shopping has now been packed away, I'm just enjoying another muggertea then it's off to the workshop.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Now alcohol free for a few days but that will change Friday as we will be in Barrow for the weekend with the bus trip apres show to the POW at Foxfield. Unfortunately no trains due to Northern being on strike so will have to watch the bladder for the bus journey back to BIF on the bus.

ask for a concessionary stop for the bus... :jester:

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

And welcome back to the fold young Pete (well you're younger than me so that makes sense - to me at any rate).  Sorry to hear that John (DMJ) is hammering our tax money once again but fingers crossed it won't last.  Having just looked at what appears to be the itinerary for Chris's trip down under I see he could add - if it's operational after the fire damage - a trip from Sydney to the Zig Zag railway.  

Personally I wouldn't bother with looking for anything to eat at the tourist trap of Circular Quay apart from the (expensive) fish restaurant if it's still there (although you used to be able to get some excellent ice cream there) but Darling Harbour is a good place to eat but probably a bit pricey nowadays.  The cheaper places are the food courts in the CBD (Central Business District) which offer a tremendous variety of cuisines some of which are surprisingly good and there used to be several good restaurants up the hill in the Paddington area.  I'm not sure how they work nowadays but a multi-trip ticket covering trains, buses, ferries, and the tram valid for several days is a good investment if you intend trying such things but, the odd hills apart, the centre of Sydney is compact enough to explore on foot which is how I used to spend various weekend days when I was working there.  You can easily encompass the bridge, opera house, and botannical gardens, plus Mrs McQuarrie's Chair, in a day complete with enough time to pop round to Woolloomooloo Bay for a drink.  I don't know much about Melbourne but I would think Harry might know something about it.  Anyway I'm sure you'll enjoy it although Aus is rather like Marmite but the natives are very friendly I found and watch how you use any plastic cards at Singapore airport - mine was duly found to be purchasing something in the USA a couple of days later while I was in Aus.

G word today, maybe - or maybe not.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Sheeptoiletcowtoilet..aka Wollamalloo.....

Yes we had a Sydney Travel Card an "Opal" which worked out well. You can get tourist passes as well. The Opal works on buses, ferries and trains so is quite handy. As Mike says the centre of Sydney is quite easy to get around.. but drink lots of water Chris.. February is warm and very dry... So a trip to Manly by ferry and then..

https://4pinesbeer.com.au/our-venue/brewpub-manly-brewery/

And watch out for the plants in the Botanical gardens.. one "bit" me 5 years ago and I still bear the scar!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Very late on parade - first chance I've had to look at anything other than work....

Welcome back Pete.

Busy day - more work to be worked - catch up later - maybe.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 19

If.you,have,to,type,that,have,to,explain,what,is,pizza,and,what,is,box...

I think also alluded to by Andrew, but, especially in the more remote locations across the US, you may find the box even MORE appealing than the contents :jester:  :O

Morning from sunny(somewhat) Long Island...

As routine as the sun actually APPEARING in the east, JFK placed a ground hold on inbound traffic last evening right after we pushed from the gate - another 40 minutes I won't get back thanks to JFK controllers being unable to handle a little bit of rain and adjust their traffic handling accordingly :(

Made it to the hotel and in bed around 1:30AM - up with the lark - who was actually still blqqdy sleeping best I can tell - at 6:30AM! Tired already, can I leave yet?

So, I KNOW we're not supposed to be political in here, but.... how did anyone/everyone like the new Dr. Who, if you are interested at all?? <ducking and avoiding flak>

I've been a fan (not CRAZY, just enjoy the show) since it first started seemingly a million years ago and confess I was very engaged by the first episode and do like the new "doctor".

That's out of the way...

68 humid and cloudy here, the client office air handler is confused and can't decided what to do, so currently it's warm and humid inside, more so than outside  :O

Right now it feels like I just go off the plane in Bermuda and need a shower already I think!

Carry on...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

So, I KNOW we're not supposed to be political in here, but.... how did anyone/everyone like the new Dr. Who, if you are interested at all?? <ducking and avoiding flak>

I've been a fan (not CRAZY, just enjoy the show) since it first started seemingly a million years ago and confess I was very engaged by the first episode and do like the new "doctor".

That's out of the way...

I really enjoyed it.

I didn't think it was a great episode of Doctor Who; I thought it was a stupendous episode of Torchwood.

I predict great things for Jodie Whittaker's Doctor once her character finds her feet.

It was, I thought, considerably creepier and more intense than what we've become used to; I imagine younger viewers will be returning to abandoned spots behind the sofa.

The stand out feature of the episode was the sound design. It was really, really cleverly done.

edited to correct typo

Edited by Black Marlin
  • Like 11

I've never been a fan of Jodie Whittacker. Hated her in Broadchurch. Having said that, the episode was much better than I'd anticipated. She may even grow on me after a few more episodes. One thing I did notice was at the end all of the "coming" actors. It looks more like a Coronation St reunion than Dr Who. 

I've never been a fan of Jodie Whittacker. Hated her in Broadchurch. Having said that, the episode was much better than I'd anticipated. She may even grow on me after a few more episodes. One thing I did notice was at the end all of the "coming" actors. It looks more like a Coronation St reunion than Dr Who. 

THAT - I'd really like to avoid at all costs!!! :jester:

• Like 7

are you sure you're not getting things confused with Pete's pizza?

I'm surprised that the aforementioned dough-based item has not yet been abbreviated to 'Peteza'!

Welcome back, Pete, as I grab my coat...

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 11

A very efficient phone call yesterday to the International Pensions Centre in Newcastle to get my UK government pension uprated for the three and a bit weeks I just spent in the UK and Germany.

Because I live in Canada, my UK pension is frozen at the amount it was when I first started to receive it. (This applies to many other countries, mostly belonging to the British Commonwealth.) However, if a pensioner from a 'frozen' country spends time in most 'unfrozen' countries, they can apply to have their pension uprated to the then-current full rate for the time they are there. The process is usually simple and, as with any interaction with the staff at Newcastle, friendly and courteous.

A significant (for me, at least) exception to this arrangement is the US. UK pensions are fully indexed there, but my 'frozen' pension cannot be uprated during visits to the States.

I hope this isn't taken as a political comment, because it's not meant to be, but UK pensioners living in EU countries may soon have to learn more about 'frozen' UK pensions.

• Like 3

Foxfield back to Barrow on a bus will be bad enough, without any pressure on the bladder!

A very busy day today so far. Visit to Sister Drac first thing, and I got the usual brutal/clumsy person today, who was in her usual form, so my arm is sore. Then we headed off to Carlisle to look at a replacement woodburner, but heard on the local radio that the A66 on our route was closed by an accident (sadly it turned out to be a fatal one, with a 19 year old girl killed). We took a diversion which was rather hairy as it was a country lane with people tearing the other way, obviously late due to the accident. I managed to let a van out of a side road in front of me, and it did a great job of slowing down the cockwombles!

Our first stop in Carlisle was at the McVities biscuit factory outlet shop and we bought a ridiculous amount of biscuits for just over £8, although half of them are earmarked for the MRC club nights. Then onto PC World to check out laptops and projector for the MRC. Then I realised I had forgotten a Curry’s voucher, so no purchase made. Next was the woodburner shop, where we finally ordered a suitable replacement. Finally we did some shopping at the large Asda and set off home. Fortunately the accident had been cleared, but the journey home was hard work for our little VW Up, as it had to drive into the teeth of a 50mph wind, and it only has a 1 litre engine.

This evening we are back to Cockermouth for dinner with our daughter in law, her parents and her sister and husband. Our son isn’t with the DIL, as he is working as usual this week, and doesn’t get as much leave as she does. Despite that, it should be a good evening.

• Like 16

A very efficient phone call yesterday to the International Pensions Centre in Newcastle to get my UK government pension uprated for the three and a bit weeks I just spent in the UK and Germany.

Because I live in Canada, my UK pension is frozen at the amount it was when I first started to receive it. (This applies to many other countries, mostly belonging to the British Commonwealth.) However, if a pensioner from a 'frozen' country spends time in most 'unfrozen' countries, they can apply to have their pension uprated to the then-current full rate for the time they are there. The process is usually simple and, as with any interaction with the staff at Newcastle, friendly and courteous.

A significant (for me, at least) exception to this arrangement is the US. UK pensions are fully indexed there, but my 'frozen' pension cannot be uprated during visits to the States.

I hope this isn't taken as a political comment, because it's not meant to be, but UK pensioners living in EU countries may soon have to learn more about 'frozen' UK pensions.

You're just being factual; it is unfair imo that some pensions are frozen and others are not and you're quite right to get what you can whilst you're here.

Some mild excitement in Morrison's this morning as the leader of the Scottish Tories, a very pregnant Ruth Davidson was spotted shopping. She looked pretty rough, about to pop, no make-up. Was persuaded not to hassle her about Westminster handling of B****t in case she started giving birth in the fresh meat aisle (sorry). Hope the birth goes well for her in all seriousness.

Hope your afternoons are going well

Very warm here now, still very windy and a bit damp.

Mal

• Like 14

How's the Rickenbacker, Mal? It occured to me that you may need some kind of Compressor to aid in getting the best of it - at first, at least. Jim McGuin (sic) or Roger (whatever he is calling himself nowadays) always uses one

I just love the Rickenbacker. Have borrowed a small practice amp for the moment; luckily it has an overdrive switch which really cranks up the jangle factor, didn't realise it could sound so good - almost but not quite hitting feedback. But you're right, a compressor would be even better. Looking for a Vox AC30 as you suggested. The Rick's a wonderful instrument.

Mal

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Foxfield back to Barrow on a bus will be bad enough, without any pressure on the bladder!

And it goes back via Ulverston to drop the exhibition manager and others who live in Ulverston. I believe last year there was a queue to use his loo. Might be an even longer one this year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And it goes back via Ulverston to drop the exhibition manager and others who live in Ulverston. I believe last year there was a queue to use his loo. Might be an even longer one this year.

Mark and note any thick clumps of bushes on the route? :jester:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1