The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Wasn't happy at arriving late at the game [*] because my journey home was severely delayed with horse boxes, cattle trailers and Sunday drivers (roll on the hour going forward which should see off the Ethel and Bert out for lunch/drive brigade)

Don't you mean the clocks going back, Mick?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info Richard & Bill, I've been sketching more ideas. The absolute minimum height I  get is 3 ft for the top of the transport case /support, with the minimum track level 2 1/2 inches above that, and the branchline nearer the back a further 3 inches higher. Then the hillside /  back scene would come up to a total max height of 4ft (fiddle yard under), except for the Radar station on a mountain, which will clip on in a corner will reach 5ft to the top of the scanner (this is in 2mm).

I'll be mostly sitting on a stool (with back support) made to measure  by me if required.

With the ever reducing cost of electronics, I wonder about a camera/s  mounted on the  proscenium arch, feeding a monitor or two, not just for the public but for the operator,  you can buy a 4.3 inch monitor and camera (12V) for under £25 now!!! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FLQHVPY/ref=psdc_303612031_t1_B01FRXMI4K

Edited by TheQ

Morning.

Weekend of various and sundry chores. Having also ventured to the cabin, determined it was "cold" (there's no real heat there, just a couple of small space heaters ostensibly to ward of mild chills at either end of the season) and have now cancelled the idea of an Oktoberfest-style weekend up there next weekend with our friends!

Retrieved the Mrs row-boat, and had we realized we'd for SURE cancel the next weekend plans would have taken the pump out/closed the cabin for the season as well.

Now need to do THAT some future weekend <sigh>

Prepping for an evening departure to Long Island, and looking less forward to that trip than ever, the evenings growing short meaning I'll hold-up in the hotel with even less likelihood of venturing out for any reason :(

Hope the various train shows went well over the weekend, sure wish there were decent ones here to visit :senile:

Weather here remains autumnal, 7 and rain this AM with 13 and more rain for the high/forecast.

Hope the week start well for all.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

and great to hear that Chris can report went the day well (no doubt putting on his best Mervyn Johns accent).  a similar result, sort of, has been achieved here as a fridge engineer has been secured for a visit on Friday - which might of course sound far too domestic to be worthy of reporting here but yesterday evening produced some unusual entertainment.  during teh evening I heard a sort of muffled bang sound which i thought came from the kitchen but passed it off as the wind affecting the cooker hood outlet as sometimes happens.  However an hour or so later when herself opened the fridge she was greeted with the sight of frozen Coke zero in various places where one ought not expect any sort of frozen anything.  so presumably the sound I heard was what she had subsequently found - a can of coke Zero with the top blown off. Pprobably a good job it was only Coke Zero instead of 'the real thing' as that might well have done greater harm to the surroundings?   Several more cans of said liquid were found to be as near frozen solid as made no difference but strangely the freezing effect was limited only to stuff on one shelf, and then not everything on that shelf so fortunately some far more expensive fizzy drink was unharrmed as was everything else, so the local tomato mountain survived unharmed.  An interesting question arose as to how one removes frozen Coke Zero from the interior of a fridge - not too difficult - and the tins of coke were relocated to a sink to recover.  This event was, hopefully, the culmination of the fridge behaving a little oddly over the past couple of days;  as it is 11 years old it is of course not covered by any of our various appliance insurance policies, oops.

That apart little gardening had been done and Hornblower has been well and truly d finished (apart from Northcote Parkinson's book which follow my reading through of his Richard Delancey series - said gentleman is currently heading for Guernsey to take over as the Captain of a privateer having achieved considerable success during a brief period in command of a Coast Guard cutter.

Enjoy the rest of your day folks

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info Richard & Bill, I've been sketching more ideas. The absolute minimum height I  get is 3 ft for the top of the transport case /support, with the minimum track level 2 1/2 inches above that, and the branchline nearer the back a further 3 inches higher. Then the hillside /  back scene would come up to a total max height of 4ft (fiddle yard under), except for the Radar station on a mountain, which will clip on in a corner will reach 5ft to the top of the scanner (this is in 2mm).

I'll be mostly sitting on a stool (with back support) made to measure  by me if required.

With the ever reducing cost of electronics, I wonder about a camera/s  mounted on the  proscenium arch, feeding a monitor or two, not just for the public but for the operator,  you can buy a 4.3 inch monitor and camera (12V) for under £25 now!!! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FLQHVPY/ref=psdc_303612031_t1_B01FRXMI4K

I've used a baseboard height of 1 metre that seems t work reasonably well.

Jamie

• Like 4

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs.

Back in work after a sad weekend. A friend of mine passed away, carried off by a sudden heart attack. He was 93 and a remarkable man: when the Nazis invaded Poland and seized his country, his home and his family, he managed to get to Britain where he promptly joined the Polish Armed Forces in the West, fighting his way through the entire North African campaign and into Italy where he was eventually wounded fighting at Monte Cassino (he lived the rest of his life with a back full of shrapnel and splinters). Awarded, among other medals, the Cross of Valour, he was retrospectively promoted to the rank of Major and became something of a minor military celebrity in Poland: despite being Jewish, he recently had an audience with the Pope!

If you feel so inclined, please join me in raising a glass to Fred: a good and brave man.

Gavin.

• Like 3

I was held up so much, I lost track of time...…

Where's me Tardis?

Course you could always put your clock forwards an hour when we put ours back in a couple of weeks or so - that way you'd be two hours ahead (like being in Greece) and never late for anything...

Edited by Purley Oaks

• RMweb Premium

Course you could always put your clock forwards an hour when we put ours back in a couple of weeks or so - that way you'd be two hours ahead (like being in Greece) and never late for anything...

Me - two hours early for everything?

You have more chance of seeing porcine aviators.

Cheers,

Mick

Evening all from Estuary-Land. My next door neighbours have sold up and are moving next week. For the purpose of clearing out they hired a skip which (with their permission) I added to the contents. As I was doing so I espied in the skip a heavy duty Black and Decker Workmate. I asked what was wrong with it to be told that its a bit rusty and I could take it if I wanted it. Upon inspection it turned out to be a bit of surface rust on a couple of the feet, needless to say I now have another Workmate.

I'm still using the Workmate I bought in 1971 but I've noticed it seems to attract some sort of gravitational anomoly. Every time I pick it up it gets heavier.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only reason I may need to change my workmate is that I carved a massive gash in it when cutting a piece of plywood recently. 

How could I not notice as I gamely pressed home with the jigsaw?

What precisely about the different colour sawdust wasn't a clue?

:blind: 

:punish:

• RMweb Premium

Clients Ivan...

Welcome back Pete! You were missed!

As it happens we have returned from walkabout in Madeira courtesy of Jet2.

A week of watching liners coming into and leaving Funchal. Photos soon!

Mick..yes I can do the dates..I will email you when my brain reappears tomorrow.

Sleep well all!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well after I’d finished my muggertea this morning, I made good progress on the patio,in fact, I’d finished the footings, put the in the hardcore (still as yet not properly packed in) and had cleaned and put away all my tools by dinner time. I then spent the afternoon in the workshop working on the BoBs that I’d started on last week. I had a look in the attic over the weekend and couldn’t find the box of Lego, I think we gave it to Max a while ago. So I made a start on making a couple of boxes for the speakers, but during testing, one engine was very reluctant to move, in the end I completely stripped it down, cleaned all the wheels and rebuilt it. I finally had it running sweetly just as it was time to pack up for tea. Tomorrow I’ll have a full day at it so hopefully I’ll get the speaker fitted and tested in both of them.

Chris. Great news about your Aussie trip.

Pete. Welcome back.

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

The only reason I may need to change my workmate is that I carved a massive gash in it when cutting a piece of plywood recently. 

How could I not notice as I gamely pressed home with the jigsaw?

What precisely about the different colour sawdust wasn't a clue?

:blind:

:punish:

A member of our model railway club managed to saw one in two.

Guess who just got back in town??????????????????????????

attachicon.gifTAiD105.jpg

Lemme catch up over the next few days......

Best, Pete.

Welcome back Pete. It doesn't say much for the pizza if customers can't distinguish it from the cardboard box it came in.

• Like 11