The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Apparently ostrich eggs keep spiders at bay also. It's to do with the smell which apparently is undetectable to humans. I have not established whether they need to be full and unblown or blown. I have 4 blown eggs, just enough for one per room

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. ChrisF, the amount of ale you drank at the beer festival its no surprise that your liver was overcooked. :jester:  Talking of which, my first proper experience of 'real ale' was when my father and I discoved the Bricklayers Arms at Stondon Massey. This was a Grays house in the days before death duties forced them to sell off their brewery in Chelmsford and the eventual takeover by Green King. The beer wasn't pumped up from the cellar, it was drawn straight from the (wooden) barrel behind the bar. There was at least a dozen barrels racked behind the bar though only two or three beers were on offer, the other barrels were being allowed to settle after being tapped. Alas, when I returned to the pub about ten years later it was all flashing lights and blaring music. As I said I drink very little if any alcohol nowadays but I am surprised how much booze I have in the house, ranging from bottles of Belgian Trappist beer to Bajan rum, I'm going to have one hell of a wake. C & C's to all that require them, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Anybody else think that this is a pretty good representation of a Western Class 52?

More like a 66 to me.

After all, their nickname is "Shed"

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from the borough of boring. 

Chris, Stewart, Jamie. Thanks for the kind words of support. This visit of the pooch noir seems quite a bit different. Too many things happening at once. Normally going into hermit mode and doing some muddling seems to help. Not an option at the moment as part of the problem is a man cave/shed that is still full of crap. Unplugging from most of the social media so far has made a bit of difference. All I have to do is survive the next 6 days and 2 major bits of the stress will be done, dusted, and gone. Today and tomorrow will wrap up the current fustercluck project at work, so that stress point will fade. Wed-Sat with the famdamily will hopefully pass without too many histrionics. That just leaves finishing off the house and suing the builder on my stack of crap to work through. 

back to work. This pile of sh1t ain't gonna shovel itself. 

Enjoy the day. 
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Like Jamie, we've been getting ready for winter. We split a lot of wood last year but we had nowhere to put it to keep it dry over the winter.

I have logs to split but no real fire. They will be ogimg ot MIL and a fellow modeller who has just had a fireplace installed.

We don't need to cut logs this year as the trailer came full of them. however I do need to cut some fallen trees up, once the nettles die down a bit.

For the wood burners out there:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138150-are-wood-burning-domestic-stoves-a-greater-death-risk-than-diesel-road-vehicles/&do=findComment&comment=3322329

I'm going back to using my patio heater...………………..

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well my smoke goes up the chiminey, after that, its North sea or Denmark,  Smoked cod or bacon anyone?

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 11

Afternoon Awl,

During the show yesterday, I spoke to a wheel chair user about the height of the layouts. With his input I've decided my exhibition layout will be at about 3ft. So when awake I've sketched out some possible transport carriages/ layout supports.

Oddly we had a post come in on Groups.io yesterday that might JUST help with your problem  Take a look at https://groups.io/g/small-layout-design/topic/standardized_legs_for/26851186?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,26851186   HIH

If it won't let you see it - come back to me and I'll email it to you

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,, 

Bit of a late start for me but never mind, I've got all day, week, month, the rest of my life to witter on.

Rather overcast here but the forecast says it will be dry with bright spells, however the rain on Saturday didn't clean the car so I did it yesterday - so it will probably rain today.

Splendid evening yesterday with our friends returning from Italy. The Boss made a delicious Beef Cobbler whilst I contributed by making a Bakewell Tart. All must have been OK because nothing was left!

Some beer and wine was also harmed before, during and after the meal.

Today I have to visit our loft to put away fans and one or two other things until they are next required.

Apart from that nothing special happening.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Just back from the orange DIY shed, the car has been unpacked and everything is now stacked and ready to use.

But I think I’ll finish of my well earned muggertea.

Back later

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Oddly we had a post come in on Groups.io yesterday that might JUST help with your problem  Take a look at https://groups.io/g/small-layout-design/topic/standardized_legs_for/26851186?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,26851186   HIH

If it won't let you see it - come back to me and I'll email it to you

Thanks, I could see it. I like that legs solution,  will recommend it to the club, I'll print it out some time this week.  As the layout I'm planning for was inherited, some boards are exceedingly heavy (multiple layers of sundela like material to build up scenery). So a wheeled transport / layout support will be used for them, but those legs look good for the lighter extension boards I will be making..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12

Thanks, I could see it. I like that legs solution,  will recommend it to the club, I'll print it out some time this week.  As the layout I'm planning for was inherited, some boards are exceedingly heavy (multiple layers of sundela like material to build up scenery). So a wheeled transport / layout support will be used for them, but those legs look good for the lighter extension boards I will be making..

Glad to be of help!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic news Chris.

Will you be taking any ties?

I'm more interested in whether or not the famous Hessian bag will go. I'm sure it's like Mary Poppins' bag and all sorts can go into it.

Really glad that you've got the cabin Chris. We'll be heading that way in April but I doubt whether we'll be doing much train stuff.

Jamie

• Like 15

I am pleased to be able to tell you that peace and quiet will descend on ERs between 9th February and 3rd March 2019.   Ffestiniog Travel have found me a cabin on the Ghan so, for the time being at least, I am potentially the happiest human on the planet.  The insurance is sorted and the booking form completed.  All I need now is for BTMail to spring into something uncharacteristically like action so that I can e-mail a scan of the booking form to FT HQ before committing the original to Royal Mail.  There's always something ...

Chris

Good news Chris.

I am sure it will be a fascinating trip.

Greetings all.

Although I wear a suit to work, I rarely wear a tie - it's my concession to "business casual" which as far as I am concerned are mutually exclusive.

As for beer, I first tried lager as a 16/17 year old on a job in the city (Green Man, Bucklersbury). After about 2 weeks of not really liking it but not wanting to say, I spotted someone having bitter, tried that and was most relieved. It was only Tartan bitter, but even so, it was much nicer than the lager. There was a pub next door to the Green Man which Sam Smith's Museum Ale, and that was a good pint. These days I don't drink much beer - more often I drink wine - but I have been known to drink a fair bit on occasion.

I hope that AndrewC sees off the black Dog and that Debs recovers from her chemo side effects sooner rather than later.

Have a good day all

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Q,

Be warned that three foot will do your back in and will also mean that many viewers will be looking straight down on your layout.  Many year's ago, I had a lengthy (and alcoholic) discussion with Brian "Wheels" Stubbles and we agreed that 3ft 4in was a suitable height.  At least I think we did, my recollection of the evening is remarkably hazy.  That four inches has paid dividends to my back.

Bill

I'd concur with Bill.

Our exhibition layouts have always been built with the comfort of the operator(s) first and foremost. So our latest was planned to be 48" to the baseboard top, as it is us grumpy old sods complete with failing backs, whom are required to stand there and operate it for long periods of time.

Since you have previously mentioned your back troubles, then I'd seriously consider pitching the height of it for your comfort and not the convenience of others.

We took the shunting plank to the Telford show on Saturday and had a very good day, and funnily enough we had a long chat with a lady in a wheelchair about pitching the heights of the boards correctly.

Having used a wheelchair in the past, I understand the problems that sometimes occur, but my biggest gripe is the fact that people will speak through your companions to you, rather than directly!  It's my legs that are wonky not my brain.  But I am digressing.

She agreed that the baseboard was set at the right height for the majority of viewers, and that small children had been provided for with a couple of step stools so they did not have to be held up by their parents so as to see.

I explained that in the past I had investigated the possibility of making a ramp for wheelchair users, but by the time the ramp had been set at the correct angle and the safety rails fitted the ramp was:

1.   Longer than the layout, so it infringed on others space in the aisle.

2.  Acted as a barrier which kept other viewers well away from the front of the boards.

3.  Was prohibitively expensive.

4.  Required transporting and storage.

If you want to help out those in a wheelchair then the simple solution is either:

1.  A periscope. (Which seems to have been totally acceptable and used in the past by certain considerate layout owners.)

2  Some form of web cam on a stick connected to a tablet (not Ibuprofen!) which can be given to the wheelchair user.

Again this is extra outlay both in time and financially....................which at some shows, you may never use.

• Like 15

Great news, Chris! Be interesting to see what you make of Aussie beer. Sounds a fabulous trip.

Had a weird weekend; since the op I have less intestine and was warned about eating TOO MANY VEGETABLES; well I guess I ate TOO MANY VEGETABLES on Saturday. Huge tummy ache then some returned. Sections of intestine were scarred a little by the op, so are not as flexible as they used to be and are unable to gently squeeze the masticated food through as before leading to blockages. Mmm nice!

Bit of a problem for a vegetarian! Not to worry, back to normal today.

Have a good day with loads of veg

Mal