The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Not at all sure why - but this morning I have had Notices come up 3 times saying "website blocked due to adware" - have we been hacked - just a general warning - I shall pass this on to the Mod team

Edit - 0906 another pop up saying the same thing

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s a bit dull here, once I’ve finished my breakfast I’m off to the butchers for the weekly meat rations. Once I’ve returned I’ll have a second muggertea then we’re off to Derbyshire to meet up with some friends.

Back later

• Like 15

Speaking of narrow Highlands roads, I may have already mentioned driving in a LWB Landrover in winter from Tain, up to Durness, and coming around a corner, some long way north of Lairg, to discover (the hard way) that the road was completely covered in sheet ice - I got the Landrover sideways on without touching the grass bank on each side of the road - although that didn't apply to getting The darn thing facing the right way again!  Trees and a power winch are wonderful accessories!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Much fist and mog here earlier this morning but now beginning to clear. At least the forecast is pretty good for today as tomorrow it will be fasten down all hatches according to the seaweed wranglers. Just as well I have nothing planned for this weekend. Not much else to report, muggatee awaits so its be back later.

• Like 15

Not at all sure why - but this morning I have had Notices come up 3 times saying "website blocked due to adware" - have we been hacked - just a general warning - I shall pass this on to the Mod team

Edit - 0906 another pop up saying the same thing

No other problems reported - please scan your system with a reliable malware scanner such as malwarebytes.

• Like 2

Morning all

Chris, so sorry to read your news yesterday; I know we all have to go sometime, it's just more of a shock when it's out of the blue like that.

Robert, hope your drama concludes with all's well that ends well.

Lurker - makes you wonder what the pupil's home life is like; it is nasty when it infects a whole new class. As you say, clearly needs help.

Onto more mundane matters - I don't have a kilt, but do have a pair of Royal Stewart tartan trews (that's the bright red one) which I wear to Murrayfield when we're playing um, er, Engerland, and occasionally win :no:

And here's something to cheer you all up - some pics from the Guardian of Tashkent's tube system

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2018/aug/24/uzbekistan-secret-underground-tashkent-metro-in-pictures

Never knew Uzbekistan had one, now I do.

Have a good day

Mal

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I'll say no more about ChrisF's tie beyond saying that I was impressed and liked it.  I have a seemingly massive selection of ties, some of them being comparatively rarer or unusual railway related ties indicative of who I might have worked for or with and the rarest of these is a GWR MAS tie which I obtained as a supporter rather than a member.  For those who might possibly come to a slightly different railway related conclusion in this case MAS stands for Mutual Aid Society and it was exactly that for GWR footplate staff.  The subscriptions hardly changed over many years hence by the early 1980s the weekly retirement pensions which it paid out could be counted in the equivalent of (a few) shillings rather than £s and it was wound up c.1983/84 with the remaining funds distributed to members - any surviving members would likely now be in their 80s, hence the rarity of the tie.

G word being hinted at for today but the sky looks awful grey out there, tomorrow we can of course expect rain so even if my labourer is available bricklaying looks like a non-starter.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It was very misty earlier and is clearer but drizzling now. Aditi is optimistic and thinks it could be sunny later.

The Lurker’s story reminded me about our friend who was headteacher at an infants school. They had admitted a girl with a record of violence at a number of nursery schools. As the violent incidents increased our friend was trying to arrange more support. The father of the child didn’t approve and burst into the head’s office threatening to kill her. She had to dodge round the furniture. The police arrived very quickly.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of narrow Highlands roads, I may have already mentioned driving in a LWB Landrover in winter from Tain, up to Durness, and coming around a corner, some long way north of Lairg, to discover (the hard way) that the road was completely covered in sheet ice - I got the Landrover sideways on without touching the grass bank on each side of the road - although that didn't apply to getting The darn thing facing the right way again!  Trees and a power winch are wonderful accessories!

A good friend of mine did something similar in 60 tons of Chieftain tank when he was stationed at Bovington one winter. I said were you worried about what you were going to hit and he replied "Not at all it was a row of officers cars".

Jamie

• Like 1

No other problems reported - please scan your system with a reliable malware scanner such as malwarebytes.

Malawarebytes Premium is what is reporting it! - but will do

Edit - 11.57 Scan complete - nothing found - but glad that there isn't a hacking problem

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Malawarebytes Premium is what is reporting it! - but will do

Edit - 11.57 Scan complete - nothing found - but glad that there isn't a hacking problem

Just a suggestion. Have you tried another browser?
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

A good friend of mine did something similar in 60 tons of Chieftain tank when he was stationed at Bovington one winter. I said were you worried about what you were going to hit and he replied "Not at all it was a row of officers cars".Jamie

When I moved to Canterbury in the early 70s my Dad asked me to see if the big scratch he had left in the Westgate was still visible. I couldn’t see anything but I didn’t really know what to,look for. Apparently whatever a sun compass bracket on his armoured car was gave the stonework a good thump.

When I moved to Canterbury in the early 70s my Dad asked me to see if the big scratch he had left in the Westgate was still visible. I couldn’t see anything but I didn’t really know what to,look for. Apparently whatever a sun compass bracket on his armoured car was gave the stonework a good thump.

In a similar vein, there is apparently a dent in the top of the arch at the entrance to Penshurst Place, left by a double decker bus my sister was travelling on for a school trip

• Like 13

.....They had admitted a girl with a record of violence at a number of nursery schools. As the violent incidents increased our friend was trying to arrange more support. The father of the child didn’t approve and burst into the head’s office threatening to kill her. ....

That's (in)breeding for you.

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

OF's club attended, via car - wimp.  Well its wet out, although it has stopped falling from the sky.  Three hardy souls did come on bikes though.  The other 20 or so bottled it!

Mrs NHN has survived her first week in her new job - Freedom of Information Co-Ordinator.  Glutton for punishment if you ask me, but apparently its a lot better than her last job, which says something about that!  As she is Mrs Organised it suits her, and it's not her doing the information gathering, just the delivery of it! GDPR stuff too - eek!  She claims to be enjoying it.....sheesh.

Ties - I used to have a vast collection when I was a suit, mostly of incredibly bad taste, which was my way of poking fun at the rank and file senior management I had to battle on a daily basis.  They all went to charity shops bar a handful when I retired.  Many would have permanently damaged eyeballs of the unprotected.....

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I never really understood the obsession with ties as part of workwear requirement/expectation.

'Agree' - but it was instant career stall if you didn't comply with the 'norm' in the NHS management hierarchy.  So I wore sharp suits and the loudest ties I could find.  Indeed as there were several Neils in the Trust, I was 'Neil with the sharp suits' to one clique, and 'Neil with the ties' to another!  I aligned to neither, just ploughed my own furrow of trying to achieve without pandying to the horrific brown-nosing some lowered themselves to, to curry favour.  When I was in management with the police here after I escaped the UK NHS I got another nickname, but that was too much of an in-joke at someone else's expense to be worth sharing here.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

When I met with the MoD contracts branch I always wore my best tie.. It has a large rendition of a certain Mouse on it as most of their demands were generally based on cartoons...

Some umpires still wear ties. I don't as it can be a safety issue.

If you wore a tie on the shop floor at the tank factory You always had to tuck it into your shirt..too many rotating machines could catch your tie and "drag you in"

Baz

• Like 17