The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from the boring borough. A good weekend with elder brother and SiL was had. We'll meet up again later in their travels. No movement on the legal action against the builder. I'm still compiling the paperwork and all the emails, texts, etc. I'm taking a few days off the building works but will start on doing some of the stair treads later in the week. Really suffering from modelling withdrawal. This gets worse every time I have to go to the shed for something and see the layout half dismantled and the Millarville modules still in the packing frames. The bloody builder again.... managed to damage the staging sidings by loading a bunch of crap on top of them and leaning heavy stuff against the sides. The sides of course have the jumper cables between boards. Several of these will now have to be replaced. He was supposed to use some floor space for his tools and materials but extended that by putting things like my shop vac on top of the baseboards. Asshat! 

Work is work. Still nothing out there to tempt me away, but that temptation threshold is lowering by the week. 

Good to see and update from the first lady of the awl.

That's about it. Enjoy the day. 

Morning All,

Is this to be followed by the awarding of a Michelin star?

Thanks for your encouragement, but I am nowhere near good enough. I do have moments of culinary inspiration, but there are huge gaps in my culinary knowledge and - more importantly (especially for a pro) - I am not always consistent.

Still, a pleasant time was had, last night. Erudite conversation, decent food (see pictures) followed by cigars and a Glenfiddich 21 Year Old Gran Reserva Single Malt.

post-123-0-98040500-1538466803.jpg

The rabbit pudding will enter my slowly expanding repertoire of signature dishes (one of Mrs iD's favourites is a Garlic Risotto with a Chilli Tomato coulis)

Mela Croccante, is extremely easy to make (although one must take care when drying out and reducing the apple puree that it doesn't burn). After reducing/drying out the thickened apple puree can be flavoured with a teaspoon or so (not too much, you don't want to overpower the apple) of an Italian liqueur (as mentioned before I used Amaretto di Saronno). The crunch (added just before serving) should be a hard, sweetish, biscuit crushed into crumble sized pieces. Nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts (I used walnuts), can be added to bring diversity to the crunch. Here, as they used to say on Blue Peter, is one I did earlier.

post-123-0-51686500-1538467137.jpg

And in a nice glass or glass serving dish, it's an "easy-peasy" dinner party dessert.

Finally, returning to the subject of parcel delivery, I ordered one of these:

post-123-0-66103300-1538467442.jpg

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Lap-Steel-Guitar-and-Stand-by-Gear4music/2L45 and it arrived - as promised - via UPS yesterday afternoon. I am most chuffed with it.

Have a good one.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 15

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs.

Three Bachmann Army vans that I had completely forgotten preordering arrived for me yesterday. Hurrah! 

Also, in a fit of unparalleled efficiency, I got through a lot more work yesterday than I expected, leaving me at something of a loose end this morning. Ah well - youtube is an ever-present help in times of boredom. 

Kind regards swimming in lakes of coffee;

Tinkety-tonk, etc.,
Gavin

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

The sun is shining, but we are due rain around dinner time. My first task will be the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. Then once I’ve returned home and put all the shopping away, weather permitting I’ll return to the work in the garden.

Back later

• Like 15

ER MEET UP

Chris and I are meeting up at the "Tolworth" show on Saturday 10 November and will have a few beers afterwards in Surbiton.  If anyone would like to join us, we will be in the Wetherspoon's pub between 5pm and 6pm, then may move elsewhere. The pub is The Coronation Hall at

St Mark’s Hill, Surbiton, KT6 4LQ - about 20 yards from the main entrance to the station. Chris will wear an identifiable neck tie -  he will advise nearer the time.

Bill

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It seems to have rained overnight and is quite cloudy now.

My back pain seems to have moved a bit overnight, but at least the coccyx hurts less.

I am not planning to do much today.

Tony

Morning All,

Thanks for your encouragement, but I am nowhere near good enough. I do have moments of culinary inspiration, but there are huge gaps in my culinary knowledge and - more importantly (especially for a pro) - I am not always consistent.

Still, a pleasant time was had, last night. Erudite conversation, decent food (see pictures) followed by cigars and a Glenfiddich 21 Year Old Gran Reserva Single Malt.

attachicon.gifRabbit Pudding.jpg

The rabbit pudding will enter my slowly expanding repertoire of signature dishes (one of Mrs iD's favourites is a Garlic Risotto with a Chilli Tomato coulis)

Mela Croccante, is extremely easy to make (although one must take care when drying out and reducing the apple puree that it doesn't burn). After reducing/drying out the thickened apple puree can be flavoured with a teaspoon or so (not too much, you don't want to overpower the apple) of an Italian liqueur (as mentioned before I used Amaretto di Saronno). The crunch (added just before serving) should be a hard, sweetish, biscuit crushed into crumble sized pieces. Nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts (I used walnuts), can be added to bring diversity to the crunch. Here, as they used to say on Blue Peter, is one I did earlier.

attachicon.gifMela Croccante.jpg

And in a nice glass or glass serving dish, it's an "easy-peasy" dinner party dessert.

Finally, returning to the subject of parcel delivery, I ordered one of these:

attachicon.gifLap Steel.jpg

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Lap-Steel-Guitar-and-Stand-by-Gear4music/2L45 and it arrived - as promised - via UPS yesterday afternoon. I am most chuffed with it.

Have a good one.

iD

Meal looks great, Flavio! But to top it off with a Parcel That Arrived On Time will really cheese-off Peter BB. Interesting looking lap steel - going all country on us?

Mal

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Rained a fair bit last night, enough to rattle on the windows but not enough to stop me going back to sleep. The morning dampness was soon dissipated by the strong breeze helped by the odd spot of sunshine though its now clouded over. I received a missive this morning from a company called Bluecrest health screening inviting me for a check-up, at £270 a shot. Something that I can get done on the NHS for free. Thats it for now, muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 17

Morning All,

Thanks for your encouragement, but I am nowhere near good enough. ....

Even if you were, you probably wouldn't want all the BS that comes with a Michelin star. Some restaurants are actually handing theirs back because they just don't want the hype of the hassle.

• Like 10

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Rained a fair bit last night, enough to rattle on the windows but not enough to stop me going back to sleep. The morning dampness was soon dissipated by the strong breeze helped by the odd spot of sunshine though its now clouded over. I received a missive this morning from a company called Bluecrest health screening inviting me for a check-up, at £270 a shot. Something that I can get done on the NHS for free. Thats it for now, muggatee awaits, be back later.

Phil,

But won't you be glad when your results come back in a first class envelope - requesting that you visit your GP.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Just back from the bank: the mystery is solved. Apparently the reason for all that extra cash is because I'd been saving harder than I thought, but hadn't realised I was doing it.

Net result is that I now have enough to pay for a complete CX gearbox rebuild.....whenever that gets booked in.

Perhaps you need a saving account. You could get as much as 0.0001% interest!

Just back from the bank: the mystery is solved. Apparently the reason for all that extra cash is because I'd been saving harder than I thought, but hadn't realised I was doing it.

Net result is that I now have enough to pay for a complete CX gearbox rebuild.....whenever that gets booked in.

I'd be more than happy to look after your excess cash for a nominal fee.  :sungum:

• Like 2

Perhaps you need a saving account. You could get as much as 0.0001% interest!

I do in fact have such a savings account and am just after shoving the excess cash in there pending the repair work.

I'd be more than happy to look after your excess cash for a nominal fee.  :sungum:

Some hope.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I received a missive this morning from a company called Bluecrest health screening inviting me for a check-up, at £270 a shot.

#MeToo

...... and at one of the poshest hotels in the area.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris will wear an identifiable neck tie -  he will advise nearer the time.

I'd rather keep it as a surprise ...

Chris

We would rather you did too.

• Like 2

I received a missive this morning from a company called Bluecrest health screening inviting me for a check-up, at £270 a shot. Something that I can get done on the NHS for free. Thats it for now, muggatee awaits, be back later.

My lady got one of those - What a load of CRAP! Bin - fodder! What a shame they didn't include a business reply envelope - they would have got it right back! Edited by shortliner
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from the fringes of the Bordeaux wine country. WE HAVE ESCAPED FROM ALCATRAZ. As expected the so called groom service didn't turn up as requested at 08.45 so we posted the keys into a mailbox as requested. They rang us at 09.45 asking where the keys were. The law of s0d ensured that we actually had hot water this morning. We're now 650 Klicks away near Agen and have checked into a nice comfy and clean little hotel that actually has working wifi and a clean looking restaurant for which we have booked. The journey went quite well despite string crosswinds across the Rhone Delta. I am already composing my review for Airbnb in my head. It will make interesting reading.

Andrew I appreciate how you feel with modelling withdrawal. I've missed not having anything to work on over the last 2 weeks and had a 5 week period during the move when I couldn't access anything. I kept sane during that period by doing the artwork for an etched bridge for the north end of Tony Wright's Little Bytham. I'm now nervously awaiting reports of how the thing builds up over the winter.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. When I went out just after lunch there was a white van parked in the short space between my drive and the corner. When vehicles are parked there it makes it difficult to reverse onto my drive. I was pleased to observe that it had a parking ticket on the windscreen. :onthequiet: I was on my way to Tesco's, for the last few days they have had a special offer on folding tables + 4 stools for £25, today they were at half price 'to clear'. So I grabbed one, of about four that were left and when I left the store there was only one left. I was considering buying one but the £25 cost put me off, perhaps I should have got two.  

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t felt like doing any modelling for some time now. I did receive and fit decoders to some long standing pre orders and I bought a couple of coaches but stuff is just getting piled on the layout as a handy shelf at present. However I did order a loco today. I think this may be a good thing. Matthew was probably dying while I was at the Alexandra Palace exhibition earlier this year. At the time I didn’t know this but afterwards I didn’t feel like going to model railway events. I did go to the tiny exhibition in Benfleet and thought I would have a go at visiting the Basildon one earlier this summer. I was finding that difficult and would have gone after a quick look at everything but I was asked to stay for a bit to help,someone who needed a lift, and was happy to remain for that reason. I know it was irrational to connect what I was doing one Saturday and what was happening in Ireland but coping and logic don’t necessarily go together. Anyway today I ordered a loco...

Aditi returns home tomorrow, which will be nice.

Tony

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. When I went out just after lunch there was a white van parked in the short space between my drive and the corner. When vehicles are parked there it makes it difficult to reverse onto my drive. I was pleased to observe that it had a parking ticket on the windscreen. :onthequiet:I was on my way to Tesco's, for the last few days they have had a special offer on folding tables + 4 stools for £25, today they were at half price 'to clear'. So I grabbed one, of about four that were left and when I left the store there was only one left. I was considering buying one but the £25 cost put me off, perhaps I should have got two.  

Phil

Are you setting up an online shop? You've got more grey towels than you know what to do with, a stackload of sandwich boxes without lids, and now tables and chairs. What would Tesco do without you?

Mal

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Phil

Are you setting up an online shop? You've got more grey towels than you know what to do with, a stackload of sandwich boxes without lids, and now tables and chairs. What would Tesco do without you?

Mal

The towels were required to replace some worn out ones. The boxes are a bit larger than sandwich boxes, they are about the equivalent of two shoeboxes each and are now full of modelling items. The table is also required for modelling purposes and can be folded away when not in use.

• Like 15