The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all, best wishes to all who need them. Rotten luck there coombe Barton :-( hope you are not hurt and the insurance company acts swiftly (well as swiftly as such things can).

Very early rise today. Up, showered and car packed and all ready to go to another scaleforum. Should be a good weekend.

Knackered already, but enough time to rest before going at least.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from Rotterdam.

What a day yesterday was with train delays. Luckily the SOuthern service form redhill to Calpham Junction was on time but North London line wnet into meltdown due to signallling problems at Stratford t#]so gave up with that line. Change of plans put me on the line form Higbury into Moorgate but then the trian just didnt shwo due ot dleays so it was the Victoria line to St Pancras. 

Whilst sitting in the Parcel Yard pub awaiting my other half I noticed that Thameslink services were being cancelled. A person in contact with a train at Horley really decimated services through Redhill so I was lucky that I left home in the morning.

Eurostar departed on time but North of Brussels it lost 40 minutes into Rotterdam. Add to the very noisy group of staggers near to us we were very pleased to get of the train at Rotterdam although that took sometime as the staggers were first off for a fag break although they were told by platform staff not to smoke.

Finally met up with Andrew C and co for a few beers to relax a bit.

A good nights sleep and now we are off to breakfast then train to Borefts beer fest in Bodegraven. Should be a good day if the rain holds off

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull here and rain is forecast so I doubt that any gardening will get done.

Rugby watched last night as usual and more to come today and tomorrow.

This morning my intention is to paint some footplate crew. This has been on the to do list for a while now so it's time I extracted my digit. What's the betting that something (or someone) will scupper my plans?

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from Alacatraz. Only 10 more nights to go. Yesterday was sunny but the wind was getting up. However a good and sunny day was had and the afternoon was spent in the beach/trainspotting location.

Since we first came here in 2002 the old single deck loco hauled stainless steel stock has all been withdrawn but the 22200 electrics are still going, here's a poor photo f 22240 on a longer distance regional push pull service.

post-6824-0-28982500-1537600219_thumb.jpg

There was a big cruise ship and a multi masted sailing cruise ship in the bay.

post-6824-0-74539900-1537600297_thumb.jpg

The passengers on the big block of flats were getting tender transfers to and from the shore. I would imagine that they had a lively ride.

Then I spied the regular freight train heading our way. You can see them come onto the shoreline route well over a mile away. This gives you time to get up and try and get a photo.

post-6824-0-39721800-1537600363_thumb.jpg

Honest it is there in the centre you can see the green nose of the loco.

Then it finally came past us.

post-6824-0-26723500-1537600453_thumb.jpg.

That's three new big electrics in the book in three days. I think that it's carrying steel. The return working passes about 8pm and I see it in the dark from the restaurant we go to.

Anyway a good meal was cooked and eaten and a good nights sleep apart from having to have words with our neighbour at 2am when he was practising on his electronic drum kit but decided to use the chair and table top as extra pieces of kit.

It has been decreed that we are going to the market this morning.

John (CB) I hope that you are OK and that the hassle is kept to a minimum. John DMJ I hope that they get you sorted out in the hospital as quickly as possible.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Weather forecast said rain all day now says sun/cloud pah!

No cricket for me today but some hedge trimming needs to be done before any modelling can be undertaken.

Mugatea awaits so TTFN

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Early morning drizzle with heavy rain to come so bricklaying cancelled and labourer sent home, all a bl*sted nuisance, grrr.   John (CB) sorry to hear about the unwarranted intrusion of another vehicle into yours, I hope your insurers will be on the ball once you've woken them up.  And thanks for the pics Jamie - the sea doesn't look too bad to me but if it kept the floating flat dwellers in their place it would have been well worth it from your point of view.

Currently wondering what to have in sandwiches for breakfast - should it be Heinz Sandwich Spread, a fresh tomato, or even the bacon left over from Wednesday - decisions, decisions.

Have a good day everybody

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl. Does such a tool exist anyway? :jester:

Following a fairly stormy afternoon and evening, weather has turned decidedly autumnal today. Cloudburst just came down and it’s still blowy outside. I guess it’s about time for autumn to finally begin, especially after the extended drought which has persisted over the summer.

Best wishes and thoughts as appropriate, will try posting again later... :bye:

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Well after what must have been a well earned lie-in, I’m now up and just about finishing my second muggertea. As the weather is currently dry, I’m going to attempt a bit of work outside, no doubt as soon as get all my stuff out of the shed and ready to use, is will p!ss it down. Anyway I’m going to tempt fate, back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sun was shining earlier but now its come over a bit dull. It was predicted by the seaweed wranglers together with a bit of wetness this afternoon.

Good moaning from Alacatraz. Only 10 more nights to go. Yesterday was sunny but the wind was getting up. However a good and sunny day was had and the afternoon was spent in the beach/trainspotting location.

Since we first came here in 2002 the old single deck loco hauled stainless steel stock has all been withdrawn but the 22200 electrics are still going, here's a poor photo f 22240 on a longer distance regional push pull service.
attachicon.gifP9213627.JPG
There was a big cruise ship and a multi masted sailing cruise ship in the bay.
attachicon.gifP9213628.JPG
The passengers on the big block of flats were getting tender transfers to and from the shore. I would imagine that they had a lively ride.
Then I spied the regular freight train heading our way. You can see them come onto the shoreline route well over a mile away. This gives you time to get up and try and get a photo.
attachicon.gifP9213629.JPG
Honest it is there in the centre you can see the green nose of the loco.
Then it finally came past us.
attachicon.gifP9213630.JPG.
That's three new big electrics in the book in three days. I think that it's carrying steel. The return working passes about 8pm and I see it in the dark from the restaurant we go to.

Anyway a good meal was cooked and eaten and a good nights sleep apart from having to have words with our neighbour at 2am when he was practising on his electronic drum kit but decided to use the chair and table top as extra pieces of kit.
It has been decreed that we are going to the market this morning.

John (CB) I hope that you are OK and that the hassle is kept to a minimum. John DMJ I hope that they get you sorted out in the hospital as quickly as possible.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Did anyone else spot the young ladies sunbathing topless on the beach?

• Like 1

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sun was shining earlier but now its come over a bit dull. It was predicted by the seaweed wranglers together with a bit of wetness this afternoon.

No, but I bet everyone's gone back to have  look.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm bringing a couple of Germans to Scaleborum

What scale? 1mm, 2mm,3mm,4mm,305mm?

Afternoon awl, inner Temple here.

6hours sleep had, not too bad.

Big heap of brambles dragged down the garden, to be burnt when wind in the right direction..

Future trailer park mostly cleared,

one commercial slab moved as experiment.

Right elbow now painful, need to find a better way of moving them.

Key position identified from where to start slabbing..

Bitten twice on left hand by mozzies after removing glove to measure the space.

Trailer measured, drawings to be done later for modifications for rebuilt boat.

Metal and parts list to be made, parts are to bring trailer to UK standards, and specific boat related trailer bits.

Now off to neighbours to install her new phones,

Then return here for long bath to ease back and elbow.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't comment possibly comment. Trainspotting can be hell sometimes.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Jamie,

Congratulations on concentrating on the trains.

Bill

Thanks Bill, whatever else would a gentleman concentrate on. I will do my best to concentrate hard for the remainder of our time here. The other good result is that we've just got a 25% refund from Airbnb plus a £50 voucher towards our next use of their services. A meal out is planned at the restaurant we like.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Yup, spotted the fattyclappers. Plus a train.....somewhere in the photos.

Some car shopping done for Mrs NHN, bought a C3 Picasso Exclusive (which it isn't, where do they get these names from) 1.6 diseasel, 2015 14k miles.  Spotless, quite pleased with it bar the fact its black, but there's worse colours - such as that brown B-Max I had! Practical little car, hope it is as reliable as its predecessor has been. Painless buying experience for a change, many used car dealers just rub me up the wrong way with their inane patter, but these guys are the biggest such on the Island and several of the many brothers and one sister (11!) that run it used to be customers when I had the Post Office.  Parents obviously didn't believe in contraception until they got the daughter!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Early plans were scuppered as suspected by you know who so only one little bit of muddling done today. I managed to fit a ready painted crew to my Dean Goods so at least something got done.

This afternoon SWMBO tried to break my leg!!    :girldevil:   As I was passing behind her carrying a box she backed into me causing me to overbalance and I ended up getting a dead leg from the arm of a chair. This was my "dodgy" leg and it resulted in my twisting my (replacement) knee as well.  Everything hurts and Bobby is not a very happy bunny. However I did get to see a good rugby match and am now drinking liquid analgesia. I may drink some more.

Sad to see in the news that Chas Hodges of Chas and Dave has died. I always enjoyed their music.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Sorry, but I've been absent for a few days, having a mini break in Ludlow/Leominster/Hungerford.  No longer mention these breaks online on social media, and that means ERs as well, I'm afraid.  

Generic greetings are all I can offer, as I won't be able to backread - If anything major has happened, could some kindly soul lef me know, either in a post, or by PM.  Many thanks.

Went very early Thursday morning, and got back a few hours ago, having driven about 600 miles overall.  We were going to the Shrewsbury flea market today - normally a highly enjoyable event, but this year it was so sparsely attended by sellers that we were round it in about 45 minutes - took 4 hours last year.  Many dealers decided not to attend due to the forecast of heavy rain from about 3,00 pm, and continuing tomorrow.  As most pitches are outdoor, who can blame them?

Anyways, when we got back, it was to discover that there had been some heave Westerly gusts, and our fence looked decidedly wonky.  At least two of the stakes (which are also anchored to the topstones of the dwarf wall, have loosened and one has actually moved the topstone and broken the cement.  So it was a good job we came home early, as I've managed to get the stakes strengthened, and the topstone cemented back - must have been a fairly strong gust - though the fence has been standing for some 12 years now, so is probably on its last legs anyway.

Back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart