The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO picked today a the day to drive to IKEA. We started with a hobby shop visit as it's nearby (relatively). As the tree--eating cat is no longer inresidence, we picked up some packs of trees for the layout. I also blew my budget with a herd (?) of Hampshire pigs and a set of painters. We are going to make a start on painting the suspension bridges.

She found a stand-up lamp for her needlepoint at IKEA and it turns out to be the same as the two in the room already, except chrome instead of black.

Thunderstorms forecast for today but all we saw was a few raindrops on our walk.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

03:30 the wind is Whistling around, the rain is hammering on the windows. Although I've had 6 hours sleep I'd like some more...

Edited by TheQ

Good morning one and all

It’s Scaleforum weekend.  The show is held at Stoke Mandible in the same sports hall as Railex and with the same uninspiring catering.   I shall set off for Aylesbury this afternoon.  Fortunately the place where I will be staying for two nights has a self-service breakfast and there is usually someone I know staying in the same place.  This year I hope to plug in more effectively than before to the social side of the show.  Fortunately I have been given some guidance on locating the fleshpots in Aylesbury.  I’ve not been there on a Friday night before.  Saturday is another matter altogether.  In the past I have found myself watching Casualty in my room for want of something better to do.  This year must be different.  It just must.  Actually, it will be.  In a break from tradition I have been proactive and if my plan succeeds I will have made my own luck.  I’m back on Monday.  What racy tales will there be to tell?

Warm thoughts to all in distress and those who are missing.

Chris

• Like 4

Morning All,

We have a reasonable morning today.  However, the weather is set to deteriorate over the weekend.  It is certainly a bit cloudier this morning.

However, to pass the time away today, I’ve been playing with a computer program that allows me to build and test electronic circuits. So, the circuit I was modifying earlier this week have been built and test run, (virtually that is) and thankfully it worked perfectly! I got a copy of this program from one of my apprentices who was given it as part of her training package from the college she was at. She demonstrated it to me one day and I was very impressed with it, so she very kindly gave me a copy, which, when I left work I made sure I still had.

Which program Brian?  I am curious, as I have used quite a few circuit analysis programs over the years.

I went to a friend's funeral today. It was in a New Testament Church of God.

Oh!

Yes - I should think that was interesting.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning form a now not so stormy Surrey.

High winds last night but slept through most of it.

Bags packed and dropping other half at station for work then I will follow into London later for our first trip on a through Eurostar to Rotterdam

Hopefully meeting Andrew C and his other half in a good bar somewhere in Rotterdam this evening assuming our trian isnt late and they arent already beered out at Borefts.

Looking forward ot this beery weekend .. well more beery than most!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely lashinitdarn here overnight. Garden awash...Ark in place.

Some shopping possibly today but otherwise it seems wise to stay indoors for the day.

But our visitor will be off home later today potentially via a Great War exhibition at the University. If he wants to go to that i will go with him.

Have as good a day as you can. Enjoy S4forum Chris.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely lashinitdarn here overnight. Garden awash...Ark in place.

Some shopping possibly today but otherwise it seems wise to stay indoors for the day.

But our visitor will be off home later today potentially via a Great War exhibition at the University. If he wants to go to that i will go with him.

Have as good a day as you can. Enjoy S4forum Chris.

Baz

They should be able to stage an excellent Great War exhibition at Leeds Uni as it houses the Liddle collection of letters and personal memorabilia that was built up over many years by Peter Liddle who was an academic at Sunderland Poly. My late father inherited a set of papers relating to his cousin who was killed near Arras in 1917 and donated the papers to the Liddle Collection and I've been and gone through them. All his letters home, his medals and a War Office form detailing his final pay and allowances, which includes a deduction of several shillings because he had been paid in advance for April and was killed on the 23rd. Hope you get there and enjoy the exhibition.

Jamie

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from Alcatraz where 3 days of our 14 day sentence have now been served. Yet again no hot water this morning but we did have hot water late yesterday afternoon. I had a good hour's walk/trainspot/shop in the afternoon and saw two new locos.In the evening we went out for a meal and discovered a restaurant we knew well from when we were here last in 2009. It now has new owners but the standard is still very high with Argentinian steak as the signature dish. A good evening was had.

I have just been told that I can go for another walk/trainspot and that we are due to head for the beach0trainspotting location this afternoon. There is a big yellow object in the sky so life isn't too bad.

Bill I was interested in your comments on the funeral. I hope that the same didn't happen to you as happened to us when we went to an RC Requiem Mass for a good friend. The funeral directors hadn't reckoned on the length of the service and came in just at the start of the Mass and started to wheel the coffin out. Beth and I were in hysterics. The priest hurried down the church and shooed the pallbearers out whilst still keeping the service going.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here...

I only got another half hours sleep....

Ben's patrol was short, once he had  done what he needed to, he ran back to the house... it was wet,  wild and windy out there..

Some of the scaffolding on the cremated houses next to the cremated Swan have been damaged overnight by the wind, there's a bit hanging out over the road at 45 degrees...

The rest of the drive in was just dodge the odd small branch, and piles of leaves... Oh and the very big puddles...

It's getting warm in here, I'm running 80amps, shortly to be put up to 120Amps...

More design work on the bowsprit was done, cost £15, cost If I had used commercial fittings £150+

Well, it's Poets Day, except it's a full day for me.. I've just 2 spare days left before Christmas, So i need to keep them for emergencies until December..

Time to... start taking measurements...

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sun now shining after a very wet and windy night. Sunny spells and more wind promised for today with the chance of some showers.

Yesterday was spent crawling around under the layout. Everything was hauled out and rearranged with the result I now know where it all is. Much dust and rubbish was disposed of.

My knee hurts.

First tasks today are of the domestic variety, after that I may re-visit the site of yesterday's exertions. :locomotive:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, windy again but nothing like the first lot. Actually dry at the moment but this is twirled not to last much longer.  It certainly rained some overnight, the Koi pond is overflowing.  We still have a hosepipe ban.....

Some arranging to do over the tellingbone this morning for various things, then off to the old farts bike club - in the car judging by the whirlocast.

Then the funeral (Humanist - no money to pay to save one from hellfire) for the old car.  New one comes on 1st Oct. Ish.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Which program Brian? I am curious, as I have used quite a few circuit analysis programs over the years

Robert

The program is called crocodile clips

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s still raining, has done all night with some very heavy showers throughout the night! There is the occasional spot of sunshine, but even then it’s still raining. Once again, no work will be done outside today, it I’ll shortly be off to the Trafford Centre (alone) to get a few bits and pieces. I’ll swing by the butchers on my way home for our weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie too!

Enjoy the day if you can, back later.

• Like 14

Watched the Griff Rhys Jones tv prog last night Treasures of the National Trust. It highlighted how one house wants you to interact. It has hardly any rope barriers and lets you sit on chairs, at dinner tables etc.

The protectors of Stonehenge want you to send them any old photos of it. And it seemed from the news report, that you could walk up to the stones and recreate your ancient photo poses.

How sad that they keep you many metres away usually. I would have thought more damage could be caused to a dining table than a huge stone!

Blue sky here today, with some clouds now appearing. Wind seems to have departed, luckily I guess for the tree fellers next door who are taking down a bay tree. No more thousands of dead leaves for me to clear away. They seem to lay on the ground, go brown and hard but never deteriorate.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I was woken up at 2:30 this morning by the rain rattling on the windows and the wind howling like a banshee. I managed to get back to sleep quite quickly though. Still a bit breezy this morning but at least the suns out. Now its time for muggatee, have a good POETS day, be back later.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Watched the Griff Rhys Jones tv prog last night Treasures of the National Trust. It highlighted how one house wants you to interact. It has hardly any rope barriers and lets you sit on chairs, at dinner tables etc.

The protectors of Stonehenge want you to send them any old photos of it. And it seemed from the news report, that you could walk up to the stones and recreate your ancient photo poses.

How sad that they keep you many metres away usually. I would have thought more damage could be caused to a dining table than a huge stone!

Blue sky here today, with some clouds now appearing. Wind seems to have departed, luckily I guess for the tree fellers next door who are taking down a bay tree. No more thousands of dead leaves for me to clear away. They seem to lay on the ground, go brown and hard but never deteriorate.

Unfortunately visitors had been known to take hammers  to the stones to chip bits off. It's easier just to keep people away...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

David (60103) to note that it can indeed be a herd of pigs - other terms mentioned online include a litter (which I have always thought applied only to piglets) and a drift.

Weather much the same as elsewhere last night with occasional noisy gusts of wind and a considerable quantity of rain (just when you don't need it for the garden water butts of course) so the forecast was right.  Today we have a mix of occasional sunshine and 'sun hiding behind clouds' with much reduced wind.  The odd bit is tomorrow when we are promised far stronger occasional gusts of wind than are forecast for Sunday but on Sunday we have a yellow warning for them whereas tomorrow we don't - most odd.  Hopefully there is a suitable weather window for bricklaying tomorrow morning - time will tell.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 14

Unfortunately visitors had been known to take hammers  to the stones to chip bits off. It's easier just to keep people away...

NT seems to have deterrents to stop you knicking their silver, books, saucepans etc in their houses. I am sure Stonehenge guardians could have some such defence.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

David (60103) to note that it can indeed be a herd of pigs - other terms mentioned online include a litter (which I have always thought applied only to piglets) and a drift.

Have a good day one and all

There is I believe a biblical reference in the tale of the prodigal son of him being employed as a swineherd.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

My brother (the copper) suggested it could also be termed a constabulary.

Having put in the washing earlier as the weather outside as  brilliant sunshine accompanied by a stiff breeze, I was somewhat disgruntled to pull the wet sheets out of the machine as the sun scurried behind a black cloud.

It is now hammering down and it is so dark in the house, I need to use the lights to do any work.

I decided to do some repainting in the dining room, but could not find any rollers or brushes:  The PH has taken them to his new abode to do some painting and decorating.

The Obergrumpenfuhrer is coming back from Llandiddlyo today, and will not be too pleased about the lack of paint on the ceiling.  However she will be grateful for the lack of paint on the floor.

Yesterday, I spent a long time doing the cut out drawings for a 7 mm scale GWR pagoda. Fortunately I have Adrian Vaughn's book on GWR Architecture which has a scale drawing within.

Much fun was had trying to recall how to lay out the drawing of the roof sections, as the 'flat' drawing is taller and has a different curve profile.  It is only when you cut the drawing out and curve it that it adopts the correct profile. 

Thank goodness I passed my A level Engineering Drawing!

Using CAD also helps with the speed in which you can lay out a grid for an ellipse and then 'rub out' the unwanted construction lines afterwards.

The question is do I transfer the files to my Curio Cutter and try and cut some patterns in plain card as I'm not sure that the Curio will successfully cut out plastic corrugated sheets?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have just discovered that there is a workshop in Canvey Island that can convert a DeLorean to right-hand-drive. Not cheap. Around forty grand  :O  for a converted car.

Billable hourly rates must have been put up again.

Jamie