The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all..BoD that woudln't happen to be someone I volunteered to "help" at Ormesby would it.....

Didn't bother to go to Headingley..match didn't last long!

Perhaps YCCC can stay up?

Watch out..rant mode approaching..

We were invited to meet up with the Council/Consulants about a plan to waste spend money turning 49 trees and a roundabout into -49 trees and a couple of acres of road signalled junctions...then the local MP and his two Councillor acolytes wrote and said ..presentation at 5pm....so off we went...no presentation but sit at this table and listen while we tell you how we haven't listened to your concerns.. so ...

Bull sh!t Bingo par excellence tonight. Consultant has data..er but no we haven't..Council has data.. but no it hasn't...Going to planning agreement in a month..err no its next one to two months....no risk reviews.. but yes we have looked at risk..Whole transport approach but this is a little part of it. we were going to knock down 49 ish trees ..now possibly only 11. 

but it is to improve the environment..but cars will have longer queues...it is to improve the bus service ..but we don't have a clue as to how much we will improve it! local MP present but silent... and little old me...

As an Engineer I don't see why consultants can avoid the "hard to answer" problems....and the brief was...improve bus time "reliability" all because of a big pile of money burning a hole in LCC's pocket as they have failed with guided buses, trams, trolleybuses and everything to do with how dysfunctional this great city of Leeds is transport wise! Still LCC/WSP have ticked a box for planning.....

Blithering useless....

Rant off

John hope you continue to improve... Bill they (the) "builders" won't be far away...get the police and locals invovled,

Enjoy the rest of your evening!

I need a (alchoholic) drink!

Baz

Norwich has just spent millions on IMprovements to help the buses... hence this head line..http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/transport-for-norwich-bus-lanes-first-slowed-journeys-1-5692741

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather overcast here but it should stay dry with the chance of some sunshine at times.

I seem to have fixed the little wheeled thingy at the expense of 2 destroyed decoders, some soldering and a lot of bad language. Not impressed with the internal wiring which was rather spaghetti like and mainly held on by excitement. The Boss wishes she'd never bought it for me!

Today I will be visiting the optician's to pick up my new specs. 

After that there will possibly be some more muddling/operating/playing and then later this afternoon I have an appointment with the medic. This is to review my latest meds which I personally reviewed last week and stopped taking because of the side effects which I won't detail here.

Tonight, with luck, I will be watching some rugby and of course there will be more over the weekend.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather overcast here but it should stay dry with the chance of some sunshine at times.

I seem to have fixed the little wheeled thingy at the expense of 2 destroyed decoders, some soldering and a lot of bad language. Not impressed with the internal wiring which was rather spaghetti like and mainly held on by excitement. The Boss wishes she'd never bought it for me!

Today I will be visiting the optician's to pick up my new specs. 

After that there will possibly be some more muddling/operating/playing and then later this afternoon I have an appointment with the medic. This is to review my latest meds which I personally reviewed last week and stopped taking because of the side effects which I won't detail here.

Tonight, with luck, I will be watching some rugby and of course there will be more over the weekend.

Have a good one,

Bob.

I have had a few blown decoders due to poor Hornby wiring to the decoder socket. These days I physically check the wiring to the underside of the socket

Best I have heard, is a friend of ours had the chassis with new decoder on his rolling road. He dropped the screw driver in his hand on top of  the loco blowing the decoder!

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s going to be a bit of an odd day here, we’ve already had some rain, the ground is still wet. When I got up it was quite cloudy, it now the sun is shining!

This morning we’re off to the Trafford Centre for a few bits and pieces, on the way home we’ll call at the butchers for our weekly meat rations, hopefully I’ll get myself a pastie for dinner.

Later we have James and Amelia coming round for tea, so that will be fun.

Back later

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Busy day yesterday and I didn't get to bed until two this morning. Despite that I feel bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning, I wonder how long it will last? Must remember to visit the ATM today to stock up with modelling tokens for tomorrows Shenfield exhibition. Thats about it, C&C's were required and have a good POETS day all. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all...just....

Late getting up so late to Moreasons so late on ERs.

One of our neighbours has come up with a cunning plan about the proposed road changes...i await the start of the implementation phase!

Rainy here so..time for a mugadecafcoffee...

TTFN!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Q

many thanks ..posted the link to local MP, councillors etc.. unfortunately I haven't an email address for WSP otherwise they would be receiving it!!

Once an engineer, always an engineer... if you say you "can't" do something then get a different job!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

My task this morning was to drive Aditi today the blood test clinic, take her other sample to the doctors and then return to the clinic to collect her. Early this morning she said she wouldn’t need to be taken but didn’t leave enough time to include finding a parking space.

I don’t think I will be able to go the exhibition in Shenfield tomorrow. There is a big gathering of relatives in Enfield and we are invited. Aditi has made a chocolate cake and will be assembling a fruit salad. Aditi’s uncles are returning to Enfield today after spending most of the week in the Lake District. I hope the M6 and M1 (or whatever route the hire car sat nav suggests) are kind to them.

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I'm getting quiet annoyed at all the reporters on TV and radio calling Old Sarum, old " SAHrum" it's pronounced "Old SAIRum"  I've visited old Sarum with a team of Archeologists, I used to live near there, My Grandfather served at RAF Old Sarum,  My Aunt lived in the grounds of the Salisbury Cathedral (in a little house, just round the corner from the BIG house with the armed guard, Ted Heath's house).

Meanwhile it's been a reasonable day, Some current shunts were measured, they had been waiting for my master resistors to come back from NPL. So those shunts are off back to the USA.

I'm now measuring our own  master current  shunts, there should be just 3 left to do Monday, then It will be on to the next major system.

Tonight, off to the MRC, where I shall be continuing pretending to be Slartibartfast, hopefully with no leakage of red stuff from my hands..  Ben the Border Collie will be on his own tonight, as it's the first time since he got banned from there, SWMBO has a meeting of her Friday art group.

well it's time to do my time sheets for the week ...

• Like 2

The REAL POETS today.

Yesterday went exceptionally well - plane actually left EARLY, got in EARLY and therefore I was able to attend the first choir rehearsal of the new season.

Have determined to attend the choir almost "no matter what" this year, as I've missed it. The weeks I'm away, IF the plane was simply on-time I'd always make it, here's hoping!

Given how well yesterday went, imagine my surprise to wake up this morning, headache, aching all over, tired, listless and generally sh!t :O  -

We'll see how the day goes, but not feeling it'll be one of the best <sigh>

20 outside as I struggled to find the newspaper !$@!@$!@$!@$ :triniti:  :butcher: , some folks never understand how things work it seems :( expecting 29 for a high and warmer over the weekend too. I'm ready for Autumn...

POE if you'[re able, I'm planning on it, and a nap and see if I can feel closer to 100% than 50!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A good lunchtime meet in the PoS and now all on our separate ways home however long a detour that takes some of us.

You were missed John so wishes from all for your speedy recovery

Looks like two quiz teams to me...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A good lunchtime meet in the PoS and now all on our separate ways home however long a detour that takes some of us.

You were missed John so wishes from all for your speedy recovery

Ian - would you mind for the uninitiated among us who's who in the picture - I can pick out Chris, but not the others as I've never met any of them.

Afternoon All

I've read and rated all posts, and it's got to be the usual generic greetings to the ailing and celebrating.

Fodder run together with a detour to start getting the coal in - two bags at a time for a few weeks.  The glass in the stove has been changed now, and the logs will be ordered by the end of the month, so that if the weather deteriorates, as it will, we are prepared. 

30747 has worked a lot of extra hours of late, which has left her pretty cream crackered, but a few days away next week should help to get her a little less tired.

Back tomorrow - hopefully

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

It seems it takes a major natural disaster to push the denizen(s) of the White House off the front page of US reporting.

My colleagues in the Raleigh, NC area still have power. (EDIT: now some of them don't.) Texting one of them yesterday, he was glad to no longer own a beach house on the outer banks. A colleague here was anxious yesterday for his parents, whose beach house is approximately where the centre of the storm is right now. They are inland at present.

At least Florence did not bring the level of wind-based devastation it would have coming ashore as the Category 4 Hurricane it was a couple of days ago. The flip side is that a slow moving and massive rain maker could produce devastating flooding across a wide area for days.

Here it feels very Autumnal. This morning the sun rose over a heavy fog as I headed in to the office for an early meeting. We've had rain on and off for the last few days. It might rain again later today, but right now the morning sun shines brightly. Remembering a visit by my mother, it is much cooler so far this September than it was last year. Not needing either air conditioning or the furnace, I'm not complaining. It is very pleasant.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13

... expecting 29 for a high and warmer over the weekend too. I'm ready for Autumn...

We'll remember that six weeks from now when you report the first snowfall.

I have mixed feelings over Midwestern "Indian summers". I enjoyed having some last warm days before the onslaught of bitter winter but Autumn is my favourite season and in the Midwest is far too short. I can remember years in Chicago where we still needed the AC blasting on September 30, and the furnace on by October 15 to counter overnight freezes. It's like a giant climactic switch from blazing hot to freezing cold in next to no time.

While the climate is changing, traditionally we have enjoyed long Autumns here in the Pacific Northwest. We don't get explosive colours in the trees when they all turn at once (they tend to spread out) but there is some colour from now until Thanksgiving, usually with suitable temperatures to match.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Decided to be lazy this afternoon so my evening meal was fish and chips from the local chippie. Whist I was waiting for my order I nipped next door to the newsagents and was delighted to learn that I had won on the Euro lottery, all of £3.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Looks like two quiz teams to me...

At least the brains trust would have a higher average IQ with my normally negative quotient out of the equation.

For Stewart's edification the motley crew are, from L to R, Ian (Roundhouse), Dave (Unravelled), Chris (Chrisf), Bill (BBishop), Flavio (Il Dottoree), and last but by no means least Mike (Stationmaster).

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Friends got home to SC without any trials as Florence slowed down and changed direction slightly, but as Mike says, it brings massive rainfall instead of high winds. Friend's parents farm is expecting some flooding - they lost 300 or so pigs to floods in 1999 with another F - Floyd. Apparently the previous "big one" to that was also an F.

Lazyish day today catching up with stuff. Part of tomorrow is an extra trip into work to cover for an absence.

Have a good Saturday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15