The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

.... onward to Atlanta and South Carolina is looking difficult/impossible as Hurricane Florence moves right over there late Thursday US time. They already have relatives facing mandatory evacuation today/tomorrow from the North Carolina coast.

Florence is looking like a really nasty piece of work.

The state of Hawai'i is facing a second tropical storm (Olivia, the former was Hurricane Lane which dumped 52" of rain on the big island) in the space of a few weeks.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Morning All,

It is another nice morning here.  Quite chilly, with the temperature down to 10°C, but it should be sunny.

There is still no real sign of rain though, and we do still need some!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 16

Good morning one and all

This is one of those days when I could do with a Tardis.  A while ago I booked a ticket for Leveret at The Stables.  Had I not done so I would be at Radyr tonight for the RCTS meeting featuring mostly slides by my late friend Alan Jarvis.  I like to attend those showings in case I can inject some wisdom to the commentary, as I have in the past, but even I can’t do it from 150 miles away, especially when I am appreciating three fine musicians.

Yesterday was not the best day in the shed where the layout lives.  I tripped over the toolbox three times and knocked over a bottle of flux, which even now must be munching its way through the MDF on which it was spilt.  Finescale modelling at its finest?  Possibly not.

News from Facebook that JohnDMJ is in A&E.  Not sure what the trouble is but he is supposed to be with Flavio and the Brains Trust on Friday which must now be in doubt.  

Warm thoughts to John and best wishes to all in distress or missing.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny Charente.  It did get over 30 yesterday but dropped to about 12 overnight.   I had also seen JohnDMJ's news.   I wish him well.   Debs is also posting and commenting quite regularly on Farcebook and her sense of humour is obviously intact.

Various things got done yesterday.  I had a rush of blood to the head and painted one of the three roadside gates.   It's looking quite good.   In the afternoon I finally got to visit the Mairie to enquire about our residence permit.   We need to go to La Rochelle but I now possess an "Attestation" from Madame Le Mayor that confirms we are Residents.   it was very warm so it was time to listen to the enthralling test match as the shed wold have been like a sauna.   Then I took Beth to a hair appointment.  After tea I spent a pleasant hour in the pool, hoovering leaf and grass debris out that had got in despite the floating cover this was followed by an enjoyable hour in the shed wielding a smouldering iron that produced some results.

This morning we're up early as the District Nurse has just been to do a diabetic blood test for Beth.   Eric will come shortly to give the grass a cut then it's off into Nere for a clandestine meeting with No 1 son and his partner.  They're over here to surprise Beth tomorrow on her birthday tomorrow, and are in a B & B about 2 miles away.  Not a lot else to report.

Jamie 

• Like 18

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from a dull and damp boring borough. Little to report. Nothing happening around here. Suffering a bout of modelling withdrawl. I doubt I'll get the shed back to a state where I can set up the layout and/or modules before the end of the year. 

Chris, I generally keep a container of baking soda on my workbench for neutralising flux and other nasty spills. When mixed with lemon juice also makes a great and non-toxic cleaner for brass and other metals. <  oops, now awaiting the awl of rebuke from the Mighty Deb. SWMBO buys the non-food grade in bulk along with white vinegar instead of harsh cleaners. A 5kb bag of sodium bicarbonate works out cheaper than 2 100g packets from the supermarket. 

That's about it from me. Coffee awaits. Enjoy the day. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather dull and dismal here after rain last night and earlier this morning with the promise of more to come. It may brighten up later.

New model l##o has been run in on the test track and now just awaits the arrival of a decoder which hopefully will get here today. I have been told that I can keep it and do not now have to hand it back until my birthday.  :imsohappy:  

Today we will be visiting Tesco which is unusual for us but apparently they have something in stock that Sainsbury's do not.

It will probably be too damp for gardening so I may well be visiting the railway room for a while although I do need to start the hunt for a new energy supplier.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Hope a visit to the A&E has gone well for John.

It has been raining here overnight but we are determined to go to the cricket today at Headingly. As members we need to attend more games...but that is hard to do due to having loads of other things to do. Free time in retirement? Yeah right!

Have a great hump day everyone, best wishes to all who ail and hoping some our missing ERs return soon.

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

There’s something shining in the sky, I might go and investigate what it is!

Hope John gets on ok in hospital.

Back later

• Like 18

Morning all,

Back from the USSR!

Worrying news about John but hope to see him on Friday.

Meanwhile a fair bit to get on with, including clearing about 120 e-mails from my in box.  Also delaying the builder from starting on the shed roof as it is raining rather heavily.  And paying for something large, Teutonic and black and red.

And a question to our single members?  How do you deal with your house keys when you are on holiday?  I had a couple of scares, because they weren't on my "current" trousers but were in the pocket of a discarded pair.

Bill

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Chris, I generally keep a container of baking soda on my workbench for neutralising flux and other nasty spills. When mixed with lemon juice also makes a great and non-toxic cleaner for brass and other metals. <  oops, now awaiting the awl of rebuke from the Mighty Deb.

I would suggest that Debs has never wielded the awl on persons who are bringing to the attention of the great unwashed, techniques of an informative and helpful application.

Especially  that  which is engineering based .

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 17

Good morning from a dull St Richard's hospital, Chichester.

Severe abdominal pain last weekend ended in a call to the out of hours gp and, on his advice, was swiftly followed by 999.

I am still in undergoing tests and observations but hope to be back home for the weekend.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments; much appreciated.

Good morning from a dull St Richard's hospital, Chichester.

Severe abdominal pain last weekend ended in a call to the out of hours gp and, on his advice, was swiftly followed by 999.

I am still in undergoing tests and observations but hope to be back home for the weekend.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments; much appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Best wishes to John and get well soon and the same to any other ER's under the weather. Bob, I went over to the Co-op for my energy supplies many moons ago from British Gas and I immediately cut my bill by 40%, also I can credit my 'divi' to my account, just google Cooperative Energy. A bit damp underfoot this morning but it looks as if its going to stay dry and the local forecast is dry for the next week and temperatures in the mid 20's by next week. Thats it for now, muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Sorry to hear about John's troubles but hopefully he's caning the NHS to make a profit on all those years of contributions and will be back to full working order before long.  Not sure about booking a table Flavio but if we're unsuccessful there are some very interesting/appealing looking 'street food' establishments usually pitched little more than 100 yards along the road from the Princess of Shoreditch.

Today Jewsons will hopefully be delivering various things to keep us oldies exercised - getting on for 1.5 tonnes of various building substances to barrow to their respective storage locations.  And the brown bin has already been emptied so if we're looking for anything else to do we can have a grand time chopping up pieces of felled shrub to go in it - the G word with a vengeance.  Shame the Good doctor will be spending the latter half of her day off assisting at RDA (Riding for the Disabled_ but she retains a place in my good books having recently got me added to a group which will be visiting the National Maritime Control. Centre next month.

Havea good day one and all

• Like 19

The telephony problem at Mums has been resolved at last after 5 or so days. Readers of this column may remember that last week I checked the 'mute' buttons on all 3 phones, the micro filter and I phoned Sky where eventually an engineer tested the line which was fine.

Yesterday I unplugged all 3 phones from the mains and the phone sockets and, yes you've guessed it already, plugged them back in.

Voila!

So somehow they build up a resistance to work. Something many of us experience I guess.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

And a question to our single members?  How do you deal with your house keys when you are on holiday?  I had a couple of scares, because they weren't on my "current" trousers but were in the pocket of a discarded pair.

Bill

Doesn't just apply to single member Bill.   I keep them in a particular zipped pocket of my camera bag.

Jamie

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Bill,

I am not single but I usually put my house keys in a safe place, eg document case or rucksack. Then I forget where I put them. Aditi also forgets my request to remember. At least 3 sets of neighbours have keys for,our house, just in case.

John, I do hope that the pain has eased and the cause is determined soon. I once ended up in hospital following severe abdominal pain. In my case I was delirious too and insisted I was fine, nothing to be worried about. Fortunately I was overruled.

Tony

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

John, sorry to hear of your problems and I hope you make a speedy recovery.

As far as keys on holiday I leave them in a safe if provided, if not they stay in my trouser pocket. I normally wear cargo trousers when out and about so usually have a zipped pocket for them.

Offspring and neighbours have got spare keys just in case. We currently hold 5 lots of spares for offspring and neighbours.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Keys stay in a zipped pocket, credit cards in another zipped pocket, wallet yes you've guessed it. in another zipped pocket.

If I'm going out to something formal, then keys in left hand jacket pocket, wallet in one side inside pocket, credit cards in another inside pocket...

Kilted, well keys and coins  in the Sporran, wallet and credit cards as above..

Spring tides. as most of the tourists have gone home there aren't any parked between the flag  and the posts further away. That's the car park, the red writting on the sign warns about tides.

post-15969-0-29903300-1536748626.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Tesco visit was a waste of time so we went to...... you guessed it..... Sainsbury's. There we found that which we thought that they didn't stock and Tesco's did but were out of so all is now happiness at GDB Towers.

Still haven't started the energy search but thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 16