The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Phil, I still have the old paper licence but have just applied online and they say I should get it in about 2 weeks provided validation checks are OK.  They will attempt to obtain my photo details from my passport which I renewed last November.

If I needed a photo countersigned that could present a problem as most of those so qualified that knew/know me are either dead or moved away. I do have one possibility though I hope I don't need it.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Today will consist of various 'shopping' (for things like sand and ballast and salt for the water softener) then watching the rain.  Having recently read an excellent book about the various Eddystone Rock lighthouses (recommended by a fellow passenger on one of this year's voyages and duly acquired off Amazon by the management) I am back into reading books and have accordingly started C.S. Forrester's Hornblower series from the beginning but in chronological order of his career rather than in the order in which the books were written.   I can then round the series out with Forrester's 'Hornblower Companion' to conclude the story and then go on to C. Northcote Parkinson's book although I disagree strongly with one of his conclusions (which suggests he missed something in the volume I'm currently reading).  Yes, I've read them all before!!

I like that Mike.  I've got a complete set of the Hornblower books and also read them in career order.  Parkinson's book is a good read as well.   I also like a lot of Forresters other books.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Phil, I still have the old paper licence but have just applied online and they say I should get it in about 2 weeks provided validation checks are OK.  They will attempt to obtain my photo details from my passport which I renewed last November.

If I needed a photo countersigned that could present a problem as most of those so qualified that knew/know me are either dead or moved away. I do have one possibility though I hope I don't need it.

I forgot about the passport, when I went to mine it turned out to be expired. Ironically I can sign passport photos (and now that I have a photo licence photos for those as well) due to my having been a local government officer as long as I have known that person for more than two years.

• Like 11

I love peanut butter....but it doesn't like me....

I like marmite,

peanut butter on marmite on toast works a treat for me.

I like the idea of peanut butter as a secret ingredient in things like chilli but dare not; younger Lurker has a fairly severe allergy to peanuts (but not so severe that I have had to stop the peanut butter on toast)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Last time I needed a signature for a official photo, I was lucky in that a sailing club member I've known for 40 years was a JP, she's now a JP (rtd).

Good news for here, the Outer Lab, the extension has finally been approved, this will increase the lab space by just under 50%. It's into an old boiler room next door, which is no longer needed as the entire building is on reversible Air conditioning units now. The building rebuild will cost well into the tens of thousands of pounds....

It will cause some disruption as a section of wall between the two will be removed, between two concrete pillars. This should give me more room in here as well, as behind me I have a 8 by 3ft table of  test equipment that belongs to them...

The official reason for the lab extension is to give room for the new product, which will require another 5 major systems, as for some time it will run alongside it's predecessor. The New Product is much more capable and I would guess be more expensive.

Meanwhile I'm running a test of around 3 hundred individual tests but that only requires 3 button pushes during the run. So I've investigated my Keel design yet again, reread a learned article online, some of which was above my head. But luckily the summeries are less complicated, so I've followed his recommendations and conclusions. I finally have a keel that looks right, should be easy to construct and not too expensive to make.

I now need to make a couple of NACA 0012 templates, one for the Keel root and the other for the end of the span. Then it's just join the dots... NACA Templates are available online so it's just a case of choose the one you want scale it to size, print, then cut out and paste to a piece of plywood, then cut that out..

128 for 5?

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15

Chewsday <YAWN>

Nothing notable around Long Island except for a major adjustment to 10 reports, as the original "design" deliberately required VOID AP payments be ignored (something about they never get any :O )...

GUESS WHAT - The reports don't tie to the General Ledger... there's a VOID PAYMENT! DUH!!!

Was planning for a good nights sleep, well tucked in and gone, then what sounded like an entire football stadium of %$!@#$!@# peasants showed up next door and along the entire floor seemed like - far as I could tell it wasn't midnight wherever they thought they were. They partied off and on until around 3AM :triniti:  :butcher:  :rtfm:

Weather here 18 continuing wet although mostly drizzly this morning, expected to reach 27. Starting to report/rumor on hurricane Florence fast approaching the Carolinas and warnings now extending north. Airlines issuing waivers/re-bookings available as far north as DC. Hopefully since it'll not reach the coast until probably Friday, I may be lucky enough to get out of here without too much trouble Thursday!

Enjoy the day

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I was somewhat pleased with my IT success yesterday. Not of course in the same league as those of you who are computer professionals but quite satisfying. My car has a couple of useful phone apps. The security app that tells you where the car is and whether it is locked, alarm status and as I know from Norfolk , low tyre pressures worked perfectly all over Europe.

The other app is a route planner that lets you set up all the routes you want and it then sends them to the car. However this app insisted that my car was still in Folkestone at the Eurotunnel terminal. This wasn’t really a problem as the car for sat nav purposes knew where it was but I couldn’t work out why it wasn’t working. I did the usual things, Google search for solutions (no help), the app developers don’t seem to respond to queries, delete and reinstall both android and iOS apps. Then instead of fiddling with apps it occurred to me to try the other end. So I went out to the car and although it was logged on to the Land Rover servers I logged off and logged back on. Problem solved. I can only assume that somehow in the tunnel it become unconnected from the journey planner server.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Got up earlier than usual this morning and took the new Kia into Inverness for reversing sensors to be fitted - I've previously had two cars withy them and it is astonishing how you miss them when they aren't there - I must admit that I didn't realise they weren't there when I test-drove it - never had reason to try reverse _ Dropped it off at 0901 and was told four hours so I went and sat in a cafeteria and read my book while drinking tea - Was getting some odd looks so left at just before 1200 and went back to sit in the workshop reception - to find the car done and awaiting me! Have to say they made a damn good job ...!

The two Freelanders I owned were special editions and in one case last version before the car was discontinued. Therefore they had lots of extras. I certainly got used to having some of them. The Evoque seems to have all the useful ones including the rear camera showing what you will hit if you carry on with your present course!

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I didn't get to Headingley to watch the match today..did a few house work related items, then some muddling, then more little jobs..so now catching up on cricket etc. I did catch Rashid's "ball of the century"... It did turn out of the rough..but what a ball!

Loads of other things to do tomorrow but guess what.. we are off to the cricket!

Enjoy your evenings/afternoons/days wherever you are on Planet Earth!

Baz

• Like 14

I was somewhat pleased with my IT success yesterday......So I went out to the car and although it was logged on to the Land Rover servers I logged off and logged back on. Problem solved. I can only assume that somehow in the tunnel it become unconnected from the journey planner server.

Tony

Reference "The IT Crowd".... have you tried turning it off and back on again...always works best it seems!

:O  :jester:

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Reference "The IT Crowd".... have you tried turning it off and back on again...always works best it seems!

bash the offending item with your hand and work up to using a hammer if turning it off and back on again hasn't worked...... :sungum:

long time ago one of the fitters who worked for me was trying to enter his time sheet on the Oracle database.. after some time he went outside ..returning with a mell hammer which went into the screen of the computer....

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Gold

I really had tried that . The error survived shutdowns. That was what took me a while to work out.

I do recall having phone discussions where I did ask people to make sure “it”was turned on, or to turn it on and off, while holding down various keys. I really did have someone misinterpret my instruction on a course to “open a window”.

Unlike the IT Crowd my female boss was very very IT competent!

• Like 19

I really did have someone misinterpret my instruction on a course to “open a window”.

There's a dated* IT joke about opening the CD-ROM tray that goes along the lines of "Do you mean the cup holder?"

* Back from when CD-ROM readers were standard equipment in desktop computers.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well I’d completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix and made the carrot cake before dinner. That meant that I could then spend the afternoon in the workshop. More work was done on the L1 boiler back-head. Hopefully it’ll be finished during my next stint in there and I can then take and post a photo of it.

We’ve still been experiencing dropout with our WiFi, so I was thinking about replacing the router. But having had a look on line and I’m now thinking about getting a mesh system instead. I’ve looked at a few, but I think before I part with my dosh, I’ll do a little more research. It’s purely for WiFi as we don’t stream films, TV or music etc and we do have a couple of dead spots around the house. So my question is, does anybody have any recommendations please? I won’t mention the ones I’ve short listed, but I’d be interested to see if my choices are the same.

Goodnight all

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all.

Five days absence, skim read and a few boxed ticked (I hope in the right places).

It looks like you are all keeping well......

Just a few notes:

Peanuts - I have a serious nut allergy (I have been in the care of the NHS twice with anaphylactic shock.) I can eat peanuts as they are legumes and not a true nut. Walnuts, almonds and pecans are a serious no-no. 

Driving licence - I applied for a photo type a few years ago and they were happy to issue it without a photo being provided - they took it from my passport details. 

I always found Jet2 to be better than the likes of EasyJet and Ryanair, but it is about 5 years since I flew Jet2. One thing I like about Ryanair is knowing that it will always be a 737-800. Mrs NB booked row 33 for the outbound flight (at no extra charge). Two things to note - there is a bit more legroom and it's first off when they open the rear doors - which is pretty much always the case in Faro.

Ryanair are introducing yet another bag charge for carry-on stuff soon, but luckily, I have enough of my stuff already  out here. Their current policy is one "normal" carry-on wheelie bag for free (unless you pay a few Euro for VIP/priority), but must go in the hold - surrendered as you board the plane, yet the vast majority simply walked past the guy and his trolley and loaded it into the overhead lockers.

TBH, I haven't any hangups about Ryanair, as I'm quite familiar with their ways and means of squeezing every last penny. If you know how to avoid it, no problem, it's when you are unaware that it can get a bit ker-ching extra.

BTW - first time through LBA for me - it's a bit of a disjointed terminal layout. I was half expecting this:

I much prefer Liverpool Airport.

The weather here has been a steady 27-30 C daytime and looks good for the next couple of days. The couple who we are holidaying with are flying home to the US on Thursday. They will get as far as New York, but onward to Atlanta and South Carolina is looking difficult/impossible as Hurricane Florence moves right over there late Thursday US time. They already have relatives facing mandatory evacuation today/tomorrow from the North Carolina coast.

Probably catch up again in a couple of days.

Have some good ones folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 19