The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mal..they don't fly freight out of their main base..aka Leeds Bradford Airport. The biggest  problem is that they have, even now after buying a load of new 737-800s is the variation in the airplanes they operate. Off to Madeira with them in October and, if it is a 757, it could be interesting as they operate a variety of their own and leased 757s with different seats. The ones we had last year had leather seats and were very good.

Chinese take away bought and eaten along with a nice bottle of Mallorcan Red from Bodegas Oliver....

sleep well awl

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening folks

This morning after breakfast I went back to the Expo EM show at Partington, as the entry ticket allows entry on both days and it’s less than 5 miles from home. I wanted to have another look at some of the trade stands, as by dinner time yesterday Max was getting a little bored. Anyway whilst there this morning, I noticed another ‘to clear box’ on ‘Eileen’s Emporium’ stand, so once I had a rummage and again came away with another large haul of brass bar. A few other small purchases were made, but like yesterday nothing overly expensive. I wasn’t there long either, getting back home for dinner.

After dinner I sorted out the tank that Max’s purchased yesterday, I fitted a pair of couplings and regained the wheels so it will now run on his layout.

Later in the evening I spent an hour or so on the phone to my brother in Canada. As is the norm with our conversations, we don’t change the world, we just pass the time chatting about nothing in particular.

Baz. Sorry I missed you.

Goodnight folks

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Now here's something a bit different.  Yesterday morning with, probably a brick or two to cut I couldn't find my bolster so popped down to Jewsons to get a new one and just before I left a single fast aircraft passed over slightly to teh north and low,  Read arrows hawk.  while bricklaying some more Hawks (judging by the sound, they were obscured from my b viewpoint by trees) passed.  Later we had a B17 heading south west which later returned on a reciprocal heading (and passed over again about 30 minutes ago on the same reciprocal).  They were all connected with an event at Downton Abbey Highclere Castle.

The next oddity - visible so way off ti the east was a group of biplanes, a single monoplane and a couple of unusual looking biplanes but indistinct as they were quite a way off and flying quite slowly  They were turning onto a heading for White Waltham and a 'net search today has revealed that I saw the Great War Display Team, probably enroute from Highclere or more likely doing a wide circuit after refuelling at Waltham and heading back there;  presumably the unusual looking biplanes were actually triplanes courtesy (originally) of Messrs Sopwith and Fokker.

http://www.greatwardisplayteam.com/the-team-aircraft.html

I wonder if the planes I saw flying overhead late afternoon here had anything to do with this. They came from the Dover direction and seemed be following the M20 inland.

I'm no expert on planes but a group of four all seemed to have different shaped wings and one following behind had each wing painted in a different colour which looked a bit odd.

We get quite a few heritage planes flying around here normally when something is going on at the Battle of Britain monument at Capel, just outside Folkestone( on the way to Dover) but the planes that went over this afternoon sounded different and seemed to be higher than normal.

Keith.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

' Early morning all from red dragon land.

The day started with rain, the sun coming out at lunch time.  Then it was off to a friend's railway open day.  I spent the first couple of hours in the signal box, taking a turn keeping the two down trains going round (American 45mm, Rio Grande freight and Reading passenger).  Change of shift and a driver was required outside on the 5" gauge electric.  That was me sorted for the rest of the afternoon.  Best trip of the day?  Dropping off two young brothers at the station by the front gate so they would be happy to go home!   Little things...

Another job done with good memories on which to go to bed so...

' Night all and nos da.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 19

Morning All,

We had a good weekend, I got back from Heidelberg on Saturday and then didn't do very much yesterday!

The weather is fairly reasonable - a slightly chilly 10°C this morning, but bright.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hey up, it's sunny here.

Hoping to get to watch Yorkshire Lancashire at Headingley today. Apparently her indoors reckons I need to do some dusting before we can go.

Mugatea awaits...

C u later

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

Yesterdays expected 15 minute Snooze button turned out to be 2 hours, so I went down stairs made the choccy, returned to be in bed and settled to read a book. After another hour and a half or so It was sleep time,, so this time it was 6 and 3/4 hours, So a total of 8 and 3/4 hours, Yippee I needed that...

Very dark this morning with heavy grey clouds, though we are not forecast rain till late Tuesday.

I see the TUC are now putting on a push for a four day week, I don't see that happening unless it's Four 10 hour days, Mind you I would be happy with that..

Some bright spark turned of the equipment I'm calibrating today, it currently tells me I have another 12 minutes to wait before I can start.. 

More thoughts on the new Mast foot, I think I might try carving it out of Foam then fibreglassing that, I think one of the foams I have can take the resin without melting..

The Hopefully final task list for our Show is out, it arrived by email, I'm first aid / PAT Testing and steward. Plus of course I now have the trailer, which Harry used to transport the trestle tables from the club to the show hall. So That will be the first task the friday  afternoon.

Our Show? Broadland MRC Show Aylsham,at the Jubilee centre NR11 6JG, 10:00 till 16:00, Saturday 6th OCT 2018, and at The Bure Valley Railway Aylsham. We have a restored routemaster doing free trips between the two. If you get a return ticket on the BVR, From Wroxham and Hoveton Station you get free entry to the show, Free parking both ends.

Oh the equipment has burst into life and is doing it's zeroing,

Time to do some work...

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a still sunny corner of France.   It got to about 30 yesterday and is already about 14 this morning.   Yesterday, Slack Alice, as we've now christened her, arrived to pick up the rest of her belongings from the shed. Thank goodness it's all gone and hopefully we won't ever see her again.  

In the evening we went for a meal with the old couple that I moved some furniture for last week,   They are now settled in their new temporary home and invited us and another French couple for a meal.   It went very well but trying to keep up with the conversation, which was all in French proved hard work at times, however the food was lovely.  I've got collared to do another trailer load this morning with a couple of fridges and a wardrobe.  Then it's off to the Mairie to enquire about obtaining a residence card called a carte de sejour. Not a lot else to do but hopefully some muddling will be done.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I'm no expert on planes but a group of four all seemed to have different shaped wings and one following behind had each wing painted in a different colour which looked a bit odd.

Split wing colouring was in use by the RAF for a short period at the start of WW2.

it was used to make identification of 'friendly' aircraft easier to the ROC teams on the ground.

Only ever seen photos of it it applied to the Hurricane or Spitfire, but not bombers.

post-2-1120700272.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

I’m just sat waiting for Sheila to go to her Zumba class, then I can do a few little jobs I want to do in the cellar before going outside and making a start on the patio again.

Back later

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Found more stuff that needs to go to the charity shop over the weekend so its a second trip later in the week after todays car load. I will be taking it to the local hospice charity rather than one of the big national ones. Not a lot else to report, muggatee awaits so its be back later time.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is now starting to be a sunny day.

I have no idea what I am doing today. Probably putting stuff from the holiday away. We spent a pleasant evening at MiL’s yesterday. Even though the older (age 85) of the uncles went to bed shortly after we arrived. He was very tired. Not surprising as his younger brother (aged 70) had taken him round quite a few tourist and shopping places for the previous two days.

Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Split wing colouring was in use by the RAF for a short period at the start of WW2.

it was used to make identification of 'friendly' aircraft easier to the ROC teams on the ground.

Only ever seen photos of it it applied to the Hurricane or Spitfire, but not bombers.

post-2-1120700272.jpg

Thanks, that looks like what it was!! First time I've seen that, you learn something new on here everyday!!

Keith

• Like 4

Morning all...

Beginning to wonder how the weekends get away from me!

Seems I'm always ready for a leisurely weekend with plenty of time to post here, and poof, next thing I know it's Monday and I don't even remember exactly what HAPPENED over the weekend! :jester:

Oh well, I'm here, well, on Long Island again.

Hope everyone was treated to an enjoyable weekend.

Weather here 14 and raining. May make 21 if we're lucky apparently.

Have a good start to your week.

• Like 16

post-2-1120700272.jpg

Just silhouettes on my grandfather's WW2 aircraft recognition playing cards. Edited by lightengine
  • Like 8

I wonder if the person who designed the Sun-pat peanut butter jar was compis mentis? Instead of being straight sided and easy to scrape out it has an outward bulge at the base and at the top and a convex bottom. Surely it can't have been a male designer.