The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Weather as reported by Tony. After the dry hot weather followed by the rain the patio is sprouting a few weeds so while the weather remains dry its out with the roundup before its banned and then the device for cleaning between the paviors. The device consists of a wire brush and a scraper attached to a broomstick, very useful.

Morning All,

I am not in the office this morning, as I have a trip down to Heidelberg.

The weather appears to be reasonable, but there is a bit of a nip in the air and because the summer was so dry, the trees are starting to look decidedly autumnal.

Have a good day everyone...

Great place to visit Heidelberg, I went there many years ago when some of the trams dated back to the 1920's. Thats it folks, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17

Just had Billy Ocean on the radio singing "Go and get stuffed". Its funny how those incorrect words stick in your mind. I think it must be down to Steve Wright on BBC1 all those years ago.

Do others find Sky hard to contact/deal with or is it just me. I had to contact them yesterday because of Mums phone. I couldn't confirm the password and she couldn't find the notebook with it written. I suggested that he rang the landline to confirm it wasn't working, but that couldnt be done. The password must be established. Finally he tested the line to say it was working fine his end. Funny how someone hacked British Airways data without a "password"!

Talktalk have a much more severe system. You tap in your phone number on the dial pad, then you speak the voice recognition sentence, then they interrogate you about your address and password.

I much prefer the systems used by GP's or banks where they ask to be passed to the account holder and I have to use my best Monty Python type female voice to ensure them that it is ok to talk to myself.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Ah, Heidelberg - nice place, stayed there while chasing Class 78 tank engines a good many years (c.50) ago although some bloke in a discotheque got a bit nasty when I found I was 'dancing' with 'his' female, the 78s were much more interesting and far safer. Today will no doubt see the continuing battle with the felled remains, of the greatly overgrown. mock orange so Id best be sharpening some edged tools before getting on with that job.   Be interesting also to see how much water butt replenishing yesterday's rain achieved especially as one butt was as near empty as makes no difference.

The shopping was, not unusually of course, done yesterday on faux Friday including a visit to the train spotting branch of Waitrose although most of the trains were electric tramcar type things, only one freight was seen and one HST; continuation at the local (dmu spotting) branch of Tesco produced a - DMU hiding behind the trees as it passed.  The McCarthy & Stone concentration camp for wrinklies continues to tout for business and is now offering 'move in today' so presumably sales aren't going too well, which should hardly come as a surprise to anyone with half an ounce of sense as it has a main road on one side and a rat infested timber yard on the other plus a good view of the rear of Tesco, almost a mile from the town centre but alright for lorry and 'bus spotters.  It might also help sales if they could actually get the thing finished, the sight a few days ago of an extra support being inserted under one of the main road facing balconies would not inspire my confidence should I be daft enough to commit to the wrong end of their ponzi scheme of selling on freeholds to the highest bidder (other than residents of the flats).

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday Beth and I spent a couple of hours tidying the top end of the shed and emptied some more boxes.  If we carry on at this rate we will have emptied them all by 2040....  

That's going some it's 1211 already!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Rain stopped play,

However before that..

Trailer connector replaced, two different connections repaired at The junction from landrovers own lights, 1 connection found had never been made!!! All lights on the trailer now working..

All fittings removed from lower 3ft of mast, then 30 inches coated in 5 layers of glassfibre bandage.

Tomorrow I'll trim it back before removing. After several measurements I decided the box for the mast tabernacle shall be 28 inches high. The tabernacle itself will be shortened by about six inches, which will make it less dominant on the front of the boat.

Removed a lot of tufnol from rudder case, before cutting off section of box not needed. Tufnol is worth too much to chop up, it was cheap in Saudi. I used the new jigsaw, it seems to have controls for everything. It locks on the cutting button which is a bit worrying, you have, to pull the trigger again to release..

15 minutes then it off to pick up the cabinet...

• Like 18

Afternoon all,

Busy day today doing odd bits and pieces. SWMBO has been looking for a timeshare exchange, as we have a week expiring at the end of October. Nothing suitable has been found yet! I have been picking apples off our trees, before they all fall off. It has also made mowing the grass easier, as I don’t have to avoid the apples with the mower now. This evening is a MRC talk night, with a presentation about 50 years since the end of BR steam.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Considering I wasn’t going to do anything today I have followed helpful suggestions and have washed both cars. The Fiesta hasn’t been anywhere for a couple of weeks and had been bombarded by birds and inhabited by spiders.

Our washing machine has been going continuously. Not only with our stuff but our neighbours washing too. Their machine refused to start when they returned from Wales a couple of days ago. While they were in Wales they only had bottled water for drinking and water in whatever Jerry cans are called nowadays for washing themselves not clothes.Their daughter’s property has water from a well but it is dry allegedly due to so much water being extracted to fight fires recently.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

' Afternoon all from red dragon land.

Sunny although there is a lot of cloud cover.  At least there is a lot of shape to it, much more interesting than the blanket stuff.  Slowly getting over my coldex, least ways, I am not sneezing all day.  Work progressing on the new layout, with some track (just delivered), points, a couple of locos and coaches, 3 wagons and a brake van.  Tomorrow looks a wash out with black cloud and double blobs all day so that lets me off the hook for doing anything energetic. My next post maybe even more boring.   :mosking:

Enjoy what is left of your day.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Our washing machine has been going continuously. Not only with our stuff but our neighbours washing too. Their machine refused to start when they returned from Wales a couple of days ago. While they were in Wales they only had bottled water for drinking and water in whatever Jerry cans are called nowadays for washing themselves not clothes.Their daughter’s property has water from a well but it is dry allegedly due to so much water being extracted to fight fires recently.

Tony

Funnily enough I got some sales sheets through for one of our local DIY (Bricolage) stores.   It was advertising "Jerricans"   I wonder if any of the readers know the derivation of the word.

Jamie

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Jamie, the term Jerry-can came about during the North African campaign. The 8th army found the German containers for water and fuel, nicknamed Gerry cans, were far superior to the containers issued to the British forces. So much so that the allies started copying them.

• RMweb Premium

Your shoveit was made the same way as our, WW2 fuel containers, they were known as flimsies, renown for leaking everywhere. What they were good for was cutting the top off, which wasn't hard, filling full of sand, then pouring petrol in. One instant cooker for your morning fry up and brew..

Evening Awl, the cabinet was collected, it not the best quality, it has chipboard in it, but it's not the worst quality, it has some real wood in it. So its not being broken up its now residing in the hallway.

Just back from a successful night at the MRC, although the hillside is stained red. Cutting some expanded aluminium mesh caused several leaks in my hands, due to sharp edges.. After that it was pink polyfilla and cloth time..

We were poorly attended this week, only seven and one couple had to leave early as they had their granddaughter with them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening folks

Frustratingly, it’s taken me almost 20 minutes to log on to the website, I kept getting the server is not responding!

As I’d wished for earlier, my teeth got a clean bill of health and an appointment has been booked for 6 months time. The dentist is literally a short walk from our front door, so as usual I walked it, but I got caught in the rain going and coming back!

The shopping trip for Amelia’s birthday present was a success, a bottle of perfume, a pair of leggings and a gift voucher, so she can get what she really wants. I also earned a few brownie points by buying Sheila the latestCd by Alexis Ffrench, which she has already played, twice. For those who haven’t heard of him, he’s a very talented young British contemporary pianist/composer, similar to Ludovico Einaudi.

This evening we had James and Amelia round for tea and for a treat I did a roast chicken dinner, there’s was nothing left when they’d gone home. I sometimes wonder if they don’t eat at all throughout day before they come to see us. The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle of merlot!

Tomorrow morning I’m taking Max to the Expo EM North exhibition at Partington, I’ll try and keep an eye open for Chrisf, who is also going.

Goodnight folks

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I am not in the office this morning, as I have a trip down to Heidelberg.

Probably too late, but check out the Dental Mueum (I think it's in the castle) and look at the historical plaque.

Somewhere in my father's stuff there are pictures of their buildings in the middle east which were made out of jerry cans filled with sand. Those seemed to be the plentiful building materials there.

We heard that one of the museums had a new train display, so we went up there (2 hours north). As it wasn't operating, they let us in free to look at it.

http://www.brucemuseum.ca/exhibits/riding-rails/

There are 6 local stations, stacked 3 high with helix. After we had a friendly tour with the guide, the other member had the electrical work done and they ran a pair of trains through the display. Dayle was impressed enough that we bought 2 tickets (srs) on the way out.

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

What no EMGS sweat shirt, or apron, Chris, what a let down.

Mooring Awl,

Reasonable sleep of 5 hours + some on the sofa, the sofa section was woken by severe cramp in my legs where they were strained leaning into the boat yesterday.

The grass is very wet out there, it was quite chilly when taking Ben the Border Collie on patrol, But it's nice and sunny.

Hands a little sore with minor cuts from last night.

We're going to the Felbrigg hall near Cromer, Green build show, it's free , Arts Crafts, local food, stands giving info on insulation, energy efficiency, solar panels, etc.

SWMBOs weaving group will be there..

An early trip is forecast as rain is due later...

Time for porridge...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a corner of France that's still sunny.    A nice little bike ride was had yesterday morning and then a bit of tidying in the shed.   I even managed to find some flux for white metal soldering.   In the afternoon I worked on the owl and it's starting to look OK.  The large crack is well filled with new wood and I even managed to do a little bit of carving to match the rest of the bird, then put a first coat of stain on to start matching the colour.   After that a bit more soldering and a little thing that will propel itself along parallel strips of metal is coming on nicely despite very poor instructions and a few snags.   Breakfast has been consumed and a walk has been decreed.   After that a little shopping trip as I had to change the gas cylinder on the cooker 2 days ago. I always like to have a full one in the shed just in case though they do last for several months.   Apart from that there isn't a lot on the agenda so more smouldering may take place.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Flowering, very dark clouds in the North West Leeds Highlands sky this morning.

Game cancellation can be done by 10:30am without my attendance. As I am standing on my own it will be £26.25 expenses if I travel and have to call it off. Weather radar shows it chuckitdarn about 5:30 onwards this morning...ho hum!

As it happens I may get to Partington tomorrow as her indoors has run up a set of blackout curtains for Dr Eldest Herbert. His bedroom is next to a very bright street light. I can drop her off in East Didsbury before continuing to Partington.

Mugatea to finish then...who knows..

Enjoy your day and positive thoughts to all who ail.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 16