The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Travel alone and meet interesting people Chris.

We travelled to Cuba with a planeful of others in 2009. Over the 10 day holiday we made friends with another couple. We didnt know them although I knew of the family bakers business in West Sussex. Earlier this year doing some genealogy on my family in Enfield in the early 1800's I discovered that the family of the female we met is related to mine. Funny old World.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Ah, so it is you 'stalking' me on farcebuk! I might just send you a friend request, but it won't be from this total identity!

I don’t know how I could stalk anyone! One of the strange things on Facebook is how it suggests friends it keeps suggesting neighbours at home so it must use some location stuff as well as friends of friends.

Tony

I don’t know how I could stalk anyone! One of the strange things on Facebook is how it suggests friends it keeps suggesting neighbours at home so it must use some location stuff as well as friends of friends.

Tony

Yes, and one of the suggestions given to me today was of a certain person sitting on a cow.

For the sheer heck of it, I will accept the offer of a suggested friend! (You have been warned!)

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and one of the suggestions given to me today was of a certain person sitting on a cow.

For the sheer heck of it, I will accept the offer of a suggested friend! (You have been warned!)

Received and accepted. I try to be nice on Facebook!
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The shopping trip to the Trafford Centre passed uneventful, I spent a lot less than when I’m with Sheila, I even earned a few brownie points by buying her some flowers!

After dinner, as my legs were still aching a bit, I decided to take it easy and so I spent a couple of hours in the workshop, not doing much, but it was enjoyable, nonetheless.

This evening we had James and Amelia round for tea, steak and ale pie was on the menu as they both enjoyed them so much last week.

Goodnight all

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

What did I. Miss.. Weight..

Hull 252.8 kg,

Keel plate 62 kg

Ballast weights 51kg each,

All up weight with me mast and boom 448kg.

So for the moment no further ballast to be added, until she's been in the water, and I can see how she floats..

That's lighter than me

............and I don't float.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Personchester reminded me of the way cricket has been pc'd. Listening to the female commentator last week, "batsman" has become "batter".

I do wonder how they will rename the words "menopause" and "woman".

Apparently when Rachael Heyhoe-Flint was asked what the female equivalent of a protective box was, she replied 'a manhole cover'.

She was never particularly pc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Personchester reminded me of the way cricket has been pc'd. Listening to the female commentator last week, "batsman" has become "batter".

I do wonder how they will rename the words "menopause" and "woman".

Peroffspringchester, surely?

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Still dark here but dry and it should be a fairly warm day with bright or sunny spells.

Up early as my hip is protesting so I'm hoping a bit of movement will ease it. If not some pills may need to be taken.

Today I'm heading in the direction of Andover along with Bob 81C via Blackbushe Airport where we will be breakfasting .

I have found some tokens but have no specific purchases in mind apart from some paint. Going by previous trips to shows this won't stop me buying if something nice jumps out and attaches itself to my hand.  :onthequiet:

Only got to see half a rugby match last night so will have to watch the rest later and there are two more being televised today with another tomorrow. That could cause some strife in this household particularly if I walk in later clutching something that will probably not be deemed absolutely necessary to the furtherance of good relations and the survival of the human race.

Am I bovvered?  Nope, I only mention it in case I go missing!  :girldevil:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 12

Good morning one and all

Today will find me at Cecil Sharp House in north-west London, near London Zoo, for the London Folk Festival.  The building is the headquarters of the English Folk Dance and Song Society and looks depressingly like a 1930s telephone exchange.  There are some good people on and I would not be surprised to come home with at least one CD.

Meanwhile, puzzle this if you will.  Why would anyone get away from it all, whatever that may be, in South America and remain in Messenger contact with the outside world?  When I go on holiday I am strictly incommunicado and wait till I get home before catching up with what if anything I have missed.  Mind you, I only turn on my mobile when I expect to use it, this being a lot safer than peering at the blasted thing every few minutes and bumping into people on the pavement.  I suppose you will be telling me next that I do not understand young people.  To that, I fear, there is an element of truth.

Warm thoughts as always to all in distress or missing

Chris

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

A poor nights sleep, 4.5 hours sleep then not a lot.

So brain has been going round and round in circles, a few decisions have been made about the boat.

One, On mast mounting, the main and jib halyard come out of the bottom of the mast. So do I alter the mast,(think drilling holes through a coke can) so they come out higher, or drill a large hole through the tabernacle.

Decision drill hole through tabernacle.

Two, the current mounting for the rudder is removeable, and heavy. Is this required now she has a fixed keel?

Decision, No, making it fixed will make the mounting lighter and less complicated.

Three, steering gear ( foot pedals) how do I mount then.

Decision, cut out a section of the central pillar, this will reduce weight and mean a simple pivot can be used..

I'm gaining brownie points later by taking SWMBO shopping, a hole cutter may be purchased as those I've got can't go deep enough..

Brown eyes is getting restless, time for the morning patrol.

I know Andover well, or so I thought, I tried to drive through in 1995, having last visited in 1971, ( Boys Brigade weekly meeting) who changed all the roads? And built on the Sprat and winkle..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a quiet house now that the visitors have departed. The ten days they stayed were not easy. Rachel was a very close friend of Beth's but I hardly knew Adrian. The severely autistic 16 yr old turned out to be no trouble at all and just lived in her bedroom with her music on. Beth and Rachel took her out each morning to various coffee shops. However the husband was a right royal pain in the butt. He would come down for breakfast, not say a word then spend the whole time looking at his phone. He never offered to wash up, make drinks or do anything and when he did speak moaned about his job. I couldn't say much but we are both glad that he's departed. The up side was that Beth didn't mind me heading off to the shed to do some soldering and a certain loco kit is coming on nicely.

Not a lot is on the agenda for today though I need to attack the box full of ironing. I did suggest a blow torch but have been told that an iron will suffice.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

White Rabbits!

Good morning all. Off to Saltaire today to umpire. The ground is in a public park right next door to the River. (They have a Oracle and large net available to retrieve the ball from the river).

Tomorrow I am off to Sileby for a match. End of season but lots of cricket still taking place.

Enjoy whatever you do today.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

We’ve had a bit of a lie in this morning, my legs are still sore, but much improved, so again I’m taking it easy and spending the day in the workshop.

Back later

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

That could cause some strife in this household particularly if I walk in later clutching something that will probably not be deemed absolutely necessary to the furtherance of good relations and the survival of the human race.

Especially for you.

post-408-0-37688700-1535796135.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

edit - oops - link/picture was posted yesterday in this thread

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

Afternoon all

Quite a warm day yesterday, so much so that we found ourselves sitting outside a Spanish restaurant on Leith Walk eating alfresco tapas as 9pm. Not quite as pleasant as sitting by a beach in Tenerife listening to the waves crash on the shore, but munching padron peppers with a white rioja watching the 22 bus pass by has its charm...

Some swifts still here on Arthur's Seat yesterday afternoon. Overcast today, no swifts, maybe they're packing their bags ready for the long flight south?

Hope your Saturdays go well

Mal

• Like 18

Afternoon All,

Rather an expensive morning: you may recall that I have hinted (or probably a bit more than hinted....) that I have lost a wee bit of weight. Well today Mrs iD and meself went through the various wardrobes and binned three 110L  Rubbish Bag's worth of clothes. Much of which is now so large that one of the more spartan, doctrinaire, punctilious, pedantic and ultra-fine scale model railway societies could all fit quite comfortably inside a trouser leg or a jacket arm.

Interestingly enough. getting rid of all the clothes was curiously liberating (not to mention providing spatial relief in assorted storage areas).

Am also feeling rather annoyed at one particular client, despite making myself available to meet their needs, they still haven't paid me for work done (now 3 months worth), so am a bit torn between sending the heavy mob around (and lose their custom) or sitting it out in the hope of eventually being paid....

Plans for London proceed afoot: so far my agenda looks like the following:

• Thursday: Arrive, lunch with colleague at a new Mark Hix restauarant; Harry Potter Warner Brothers Studio tour; pub dinner (mostly liquid)
  • Friday: Shop for professional kitchen gear; meet up with the old lags at the PoS; museum visit, then my club meeting followed by club dinner
  • Saturday: trip to Battersea Dogs and Cats home; lunch at the new Tom Kerridge restaurant, shopping in the afternoon, a concert (probably classical music) or theatre in the evening (any suggestions???). The ENO will be presenting some good operas this year, but alas after I have left London. Ditto Sir Ian McKellan in King Lear
  • Sunday and Monday morning I am still cogitating upon.....

As this will be THE holiday of the year, I want to squeeze maximum events into the 41/2 days and I plan to go off the usual beaten path that I normally tread.

Well that's it for now, sensation seekers, of to practice the electric banjo....

Stay Frosty Guys

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

We went to even norther North Norfolk, as expected autoloco was closed on a Saturday in a tourist filled town. Shame I noticed a couple of second hand carriages in the window I was interested in.

I bought, Just two tins of humbrol in Buoys toys, they had lots of stuff I'd like to buy but I can't just justify them yet.

A secondhand book shop in Cromer did supply several, parallel pieces of metal, books.

A suitably sized drill bit / hole cutter was not found, so a set has been ordered from the house of strong ladies.

After shopping completed, we arrived outside Mary-Janes https://www.maryjanes.co.uk just as they opened the doors, so cod and chips, sausage and chips were obtained. Ben the Border Collie approved...

• Like 14