The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well, with the best laid plans and all that, I didn’t get any work done in the garden today. It was decided that we needed to go to Waitrose, so it was there we went once I’d finished my muggertea. We got back just in time for dinner and afterwards I used up the last of the apples and made a batch of spicy apple and parsnip soup, some of which we had for tea.

Goodnight all

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Chaotic operation at Windermere* today, especially when 2 replacement trainsets were in one platform and the sets they were supposed to replace were coming in.

My carpool companion now lives about 10 houses away. Another one may have dropped out due to advancing age of knees.

Late afternoon SWMBO's OttLite went out. Tried a couple of stores. One had other bits from the product line, but not the model we need.

*OO scale, or possibly 00 scale.

• Like 17

Och! Ye had yoors the noo! First Monday in August just as it once was across the border. And you get Hogmanay!!! If we hog as manay as we can we’re still expected to work :(

If you are going to make fun of us please use an authentic accent. Otherwise, STFU.

Good morning one and all

I have had a tickly cough for much of the night but have run out of both Covonia and Benylin.  This is easily remedied by striding purposefully into town but I didn’t really want to go out today.  Oh well, needs must.  Perhaps I will be seduced by the good ladies of the WI whose stall will be on the market.  They make and sell some pretty good cakes and preserves.

There is good news and bad news about the trip to Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong in February and March which I rather fancy joining.  The good news is that I have managed to arrange travel insurance with considerably less grief and earache than last time.  The bad news from the travel company is that the trip is to all intents and purposes full, even before the brochure is issued.  The crunch is that there are no single cabins left on the Ghan luxury train.  I have been put on the waiting list.  The insurance company will hold the quote for 14 days and the medical information is good for 30 days.  If it takes any longer than that to find me a cabin I will have to go through the rigmarole all over again.  It is not often that I regret being single.

Warm thoughts as always to all in distress or missing

Chris

Good morning one and all

I have had a tickly cough for much of the night but have run out of both Covonia and Benylin.  This is easily remedied by striding purposefully into town but I didn’t really want to go out today.  Oh well, needs must.  Perhaps I will be seduced by the good ladies of the WI whose stall will be on the market.  They make and sell some pretty good cakes and preserves.

There is good news and bad news about the trip to Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong in February and March which I rather fancy joining.  The good news is that I have managed to arrange travel insurance with considerably less grief and earache than last time.  The bad news from the travel company is that the trip is to all intents and purposes full, even before the brochure is issued.  The crunch is that there are no single cabins left on the Ghan luxury train.  I have been put on the waiting list.  The insurance company will hold the quote for 14 days and the medical information is good for 30 days.  If it takes any longer than that to find me a cabin I will have to go through the rigmarole all over again.  It is not often that I regret being single.

Warm thoughts as always to all in distress or missing

Chris

Used to see the Ghan go past when I was working for a bit up in Katherine. Hard to believe they'd run out of cabins, especially in the NT hot season!  

(Not my video)

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning

I have been on many the Oz long distance trains but the Ghan only went as far as Alice Springs back then. We travelled overnight in the seats but would never do that again unless they have changed them. No folding seat back tables and you could not drink alcohol at your seat but all food had to be consumed at your seat. It was also very noisy with screaming babies through the night. The sleepers that we used on the Perth to Adelaide service was much more pleasant.

We did look at a trip a few years ago to complete all the outback services but prices for overnight accomodation had rocketed.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

Chaotic operation at Windermere* today, especially when 2 replacement trainsets were in one platform and the sets they were supposed to replace were coming in.

*OO scale, or possibly 00 scale.

Rather opposite to the real thing. For complete accuracy earlier this year, your layout would have no trains, a lot of p*ssed off customers, and a rail replacement bus if you were lucky!

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull and damp here with more rain to come.

Haha! Not true, exactly the same. Good Friday is not a BH here, 2nd January is. They couldn't get away with one part of the UK having more or less public holidays than the other parts.

That's interesting Mal as I got my information from these two websites:  :scratchhead:

https://publicholidays.co.uk/scotland/2018-dates/   (which shows 9 including Good Friday)

https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays                            (which shows 8)

Without straying any further into politics I suppose it wouldn't be the first time our respective leaders in the UK have done things differently (or cocked it up and misled us all)   :banghead:

First task today is a pilgrimage to Sainsbury's. Some supplies are needed as Abbie and her boyfriend Jack are coming for dinner tonight.

After that the weather should preclude any gardening so I'll have to find something else to do.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here.

A reasonable nights sleep if in 3 pieces.

Overtime what's that? you certainly don't get overtime in the military, no matter how many hours you work (and we did a lot). In fact most of my working life I've not got overtime.

First 12 years, RAF no military overtime,

Next Six years I could get over time, GEC UK,

Next Six years GEC in Saudi fixed salary,

Next year Phillips Conoco, no overtime but didn't work any, nor was expected to...

Next 4 years Tesco maintenance, was expected to do all the work in working time, getting overtime was difficult.

Since then XXXXXX, No overtime, as I work for a section that has no overtime budget, I'm the only one in the department that is a low enough grade to get overtime...

I note there is a piece on the local radio claiming full time Norfolk firemen  are having to get second jobs to survive... Their starting pay is roughly what I get, their final salary at about my age is over ten grand more than me... My wife can't work.. So who are they kidding...

The "Spring balance" arrived (from the Nederlands), I quite like the look of it, it is of course, a strain gauge with a digital display. I'll get some batteries on the way home so I can try it out..

Just added the batteries to the list of shopping tonight, which is mostly for the Big Orange Shed as today is their last 10% off day for old gits.. 

Of tractors, they are now ploughing all the fields around us, and bringing in trailor loads of the output of cows plus clay marl. The road is busy turning brown again..

Following tractors, and other big farm machinery is normal here, although yesterdays cockwomble award goes to a white Fiat Dublo that slowed to a crawl on a 50mph road, to pass a road works sign, which said the road works were on a side road......

Although It started chuckingitdarn just after I arrived so some of the mud will have washed off...

Well, Finally everything is set up and settled I can do some measurement....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick good moaning to all from a rather damp but drying corner of the Charente. We had a big thunderstorm last night and were advised by Orange to unplug our connections so we did. Some of the strikes were very close but fortunately no damage and everything has that slightly clean look. I did get some more soldering down whilst the ladies were watching something about Baking and Off. Off out now to do various things so a quick regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey Up!

Dr Eldest Herbert's goods and chatels arrived last night by way of any van. He arrived at 22:21 by way of a LNER HST.

I will deliver home plus some must have items to his new abode in personchester on Friday.

I have a few things to do today so TTFN!

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Once I’ve finished my breakfast, like Q I’m off to the big orange DIY shed to get my last 10% off, I may be some time!

Back later

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit damp first thing this morning but it looks as if its drying up now. What with one thing and another I haven't made any progress on the shed so I went down to the big orange shed for some bits and pieces, at the same time I was able to pick up some offcuts of MDF for free. Now I have to clear the shed of all the stuff that has been dumped there over the last six or seven months before I can make any progress. Muggatee awaits so its be back later.

• Like 13

If the state of the tennis players competing in the US Open last night was any indication, then very humid is apt.

Here we are forecast to have a very nice, warm summer's day, perhaps approaching 30°C. After a cool cloudy weekend (which was welcome after all the heat we had), this too is welcome.

That's interesting Mal as I got my information from these two websites:  :scratchhead:

https://beta.gov.scot/publications/bank-holidays/    (which shows 9 including Good Friday)

https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays                            (which shows 8)

Without straying any further into politics I suppose it wouldn't be the first time our respective leaders in the UK have done things differently (or cocked it up and misled us all)   :banghead:

Morning Michael & GDB

Confusing, isn't it? Oddly, couldn't get either of those links to work, Bob, both were 404 not found.

I couldn't say for sure which days the banks here in Scotland are shut except for Christmas & Boxing Day, New Year's Day, Good Friday (yes, banks shut here - but until recently they used to take 2nd Jan as holiday and open on Good Friday) Easter Monday and Mayday. Unable to say for sure when they shut for the Whit break or August.

Posties, otoh, are off Xmas, Boxing, New Year, 2nd Jan, Easter Monday, Mayday, and early August holiday - so they work Good Friday and probably Whit Monday because they take Victoria Day.

Confused? You will be. As they used to say in Soap.

I don't think that any employer in Scotland is likely to want to give their employees more days off than they can get away with - it's just that we have so many darned variations.

Hope that helps...

Mal

• Like 4

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs.

Been having a fight with EDF. Initial meter reading was 37991. Final meter reading was 38010. EDF attempting to charge for 4156 kWh... a difference of merely 4137kWh.

Eh? I mean, seriously: eh? Even if I had a 22-yr-old on continuous vibrate I doubt I could clock up that much energy usage...

Kind regards keeping the lights on all over Europe;
Tinkety-tonk, etc.,
Gavin

• Like 5

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from the very soggy boring borough. Quiet evening catching up on some recorded tellystuff and a few beers. This morning so far I've been into the city for my spinal origami session and back. Starbucks have already brought out their pumpkin spiced lattes. Yum but sooooo early. Although with this weather I could be convinced that it is October already. 

Andyram. I hope you didn't let those little furry b*stards in the pic try to sell you insurance. You'll never get rid of them. 

Burger all else to say really so I shall bid you all a good day. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

A quick good moaning to all from a rather damp but drying corner of the Charente. We had a big thunderstorm last night and were advised by Orange to unplug our connections so we did. Some of the strikes were very close but fortunately no damage and everything has that slightly clean look. I did get some more soldering down whilst the ladies were watching something about Baking and Off. Off out now to do various things so a quick regards to all.

Jamie

They said in our weather news that there were over 100,000 lightening strikes in France last night ... wow, all lit up.

Morning All,

Sorry to hear about Coombe Barton's loss of a much loved companion. I am usually pretty detached about death (familial or otherwise), but I suspect that I may have a hard time holding it together when the either of Wolfpack die, especially when Lucy dies...

My company recognizes 8 holidays for our English employees. Interestingly there are nine for US employees. Three of these (the day after Thanksgiving and two floating holidays) are not Federal holidays but we are open for business on Martin Luther King Jr day, Presidents' day and Columbus day, which are all Federal holidays.

Hah! My company has an extremely generous bank holiday allocation - usually a week either side of the bank holiday (work permitting). My boss (the CEO) is pretty understanding - as long as the work gets done...

There is good news and bad news about the trip to Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong in February and March which I rather fancy joining.  The good news is that I have managed to arrange travel insurance with considerably less grief and earache than last time....

Chris

You jammy so-and-so! That's a nice itinerary. I've "done" Singapore, Hong Kong and Oz, but never NZ (Mrs iD has - lucky lady). The metro system in Singapore is everything London Underground should be and isn't (mind you after WWII Singapore - like many nations and places - had what turned out to be the advantage of having to completely rebuild the infrastructure from scratch and not bodge, mend and make do).

Regarding your travel arrangements: is there any possibility of getting a double berth for single use by paying a supplement? (organised tour companies - I think - really take advantage of many people's lack of travel experience by charging extra for "use of a double room by one person" - even though in many cases if you go to the Hotel's own website and check, there is no difference in cost between one person using the room and two)

I also would like to seriously recommend, ChrisF, that you look into an upgrade to either Business Class or Premium economy for the flights. Both will give much more space and - in business class at least - a lie flat seat/bed (I think premium economy tend to have the same sort of seats that business class had in the 80s - so much, much more spacious than economy). Given your current state of health, and the added disadvantage of not being a vibrant, thin 20 year old any more, it would - I think - be a worthwhile investment. Especially if you are going that far (see my earlier post about "economy class syndrome"). Even though I am in pretty good nick, despite two steel knees, I wouldn't dream of flying longhaul in economy, my GROSS (Grumpy Over SixtieS) body just wouldn't take it - I once flew back from the Dominican Republic in economy and it took me a good while to recuperate from the flight...never again (additionally, unless you plan to stay at the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong or the like, generally the quality of hotels and service at many long-haul destinations is such that one can stay in AMAZING two or three star hotels and plough the money not spent on a 5 star hotel into the flight [besides, I object to paying 5US$ or so for can of soft drink in a 5 star hotel - regardless of who's paying])

Back Later

Stay Frosty

iD

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning Michael & GDB

Confusing, isn't it? Oddly, couldn't get either of those links to work, Bob, both were 404 not found.

I've done them again Mal and edited my post and in the case of Scotland found another website as the original one obviously doesn't like a Sassenach copying and pasting!  :jester:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 11